• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I think it has a chance to come out this year still is because of how short the beta is. Does anyone remember anything about the D2 beta?

TUSR

Banned
So are you allowed to install Diablo 3 Beta onto a different computer that isn't the one that you Opt-ed in on?

TheExodu5

Banned
squidyj said:
Shock Pulse bro, that skill is just ridiculous, standing on top of bosses and spamming them for 120-150 damage an attack is just insane. All three pulses hitting one big monster just like charged bolt in D2 makes for a hilarious amount of damage output against single targets.

Heh, I never considered trying that. It really seems like they're going to have to nerf the Wizard, from the beta. The Wizard is easily the strongest of the 5 classes, at least as far as the first 13 levels are concerned.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TheExodu5 said:
Heh, I never considered trying that. It really seems like they're going to have to nerf the Wizard, from the beta. The Wizard is easily the strongest of the 5 classes, at least as far as the first 13 levels are concerned.
It's ok it can be like D II where the Wizard is almost useless in Hell.

TheExodu5 said:

In diablo 2 some characters were far more powerful in the early parts of the game. If diablo 2 is anything to go by i don't think they will be looking to make things to closely balanced.

forrest

formerly nacire
Squire Felix said:
So are you allowed to install Diablo 3 Beta onto a different computer that isn't the one that you Opt-ed in on?

I opted in on my desktop, but was fooling around on my laptop, checking out performance, etc. Hope its not an issue.

Home

StickSoldier said:
The only reason I think it has a chance to come out this year still is because of how short the beta is. Does anyone remember anything about the D2 beta?

Diablo 2 had a super small closed beta (1000 people who the mailed CDs to) which was the entirety of act 1, and a seperate stress test beta which was only a bit of act 1 up to bloodraven. The stress test went on for a little less than a month, and ended 1 week before Diablo IIs release.

I'm not so worried even if the closed beta for D3 goes into early november, considering SC2 and the WoW: Cataclysm betas ended very near the actual release dates. We'll see though.

Monk Barb and DH are more weapon reliant for damage than wizard and early game where there is generally less stuff to kill with a high chance to drop pretty much worthless poo It will more than likely even out a bit further in.

It's obvious the DH has some other issues that they are lookin into aswell.

As far as witchdoctor goes it seems they dont really get any burst type spells but from what I have seen which is a fair few vids they can clear packs pretty well and have the dogs to tank up for them so they can be pretty safe.

Runes and gems still havent come into play yet either.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AdventureRacing said:
In diablo 2 some characters were far more powerful in the early parts of the game. If diablo 2 is anything to go by i don't think they will be looking to make things to closely balanced.
I just made an assassin. Wow that is stupid amounts of early damage.

Cipherr

squidyj said:
Shock Pulse bro, that skill is just ridiculous, standing on top of bosses and spamming them for 120-150 damage an attack is just insane. All three pulses hitting one big monster just like charged bolt in D2 makes for a hilarious amount of damage output against single targets.

Wow, thats, damn. Yeah that will have to be nerfed. I know the signature skills arent going to likely scale as well as the offensive ones, but Shock Pulse with a Crimson Runestone would average out at what, 112.5 damage per bolt, times 3 on a single target for 337.5 damage per cast, and the spell costs zero AP at level 60.

That will scale far to well on single target after stats and the like compared to the other offensive skills, especially considering its free to cast. That will be suuuuper popular until they change it.

Cipherr said:
Wow, thats, damn. Yeah that will have to be nerfed. I know the signature skills arent going to likely scale as well as the offensive ones, but Shock Pulse with a Crimson Runestone would average out at what, 112.5 damage per bolt, times 3 on a single target for 337.5 damage per cast, and the spell costs zero AP at level 60.

That will scale far to well on single target after stats and the like compared to the other offensive skills, especially considering its free to cast. That will be suuuuper popular until they change it.

Being OP doesn't matter if everyone is OP.

It's too early to tell what stuff will be like in the full game. Diablo could have 100,000+ HP for all we know (In Inferno, if this is at level 60). Less powerful mobs could have 1000s of HP.

squidyj

TheExodu5 said:

Wizard is good but I found the Monk and the Barbarian to be almost as good in damage output and vastly superior in terms of survivability. The monk especially with his heal spell meant I never once worried about anything in all the time I was playing him as I dashed between packs of mobs and tore them down with my sweeping attack.

The Witch Doctor's Poison Toads can do the same as shock pulse but I find it's a little more difficult to get all the frogs onto a single target and It seems like the damage isn't quite as good.

StickSoldier said:
It was pretty similar, actually even more limited. Barbarian only, Act 1 up to Blood Raven. A really tiny slice of the game and it lasted I don't know, a few weeks?

It was still hella fun. People were crazy, they would launch hundreds of games looking for gem shrines to upgrade gems (no horadric cube in the beta).

Lothars

Home said:
I'm still hopeful for a December release myself. I don't think the public beta will be very long, and I don't think the gap between beta and release will be that large unless something is horribly wrong with the bnet servers. There was a 9 day gap between the SC2 beta ending and release.

Here's hoping.

FieryBalrog said:
It was pretty similar, actually even more limited. Barbarian only, Act 1 up to Blood Raven. A really tiny slice of the game and it lasted I don't know, a few weeks?

It was still hella fun. People were crazy, they would launch hundreds of games looking for gem shrines to upgrade gems (no horadric cube in the beta).

I agree doing some research the Diablo 2 Stress Test started on May 25th 2000 ended on June 26th 2000 and Diablo 2 went gold on June 7th 2000

I have no doubt that we will have Diablo 3 this year and I am still thinking it will be December 6th or the 13th which are tuesdays, The only way I will not believe it is if nothing is announced at Blizzcon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cipherr said:

Try thinking more in line that the spells that do cost will have mana regen so fast it doesn't matter and you can spam everything because you have 200% casting speed with teleport.

At least I am.

Xabora

piratepwnsninja said:
People thought we'd get a Cataclysm release date at Blizzcon last year and we didn't. We got it two and a half weeks before. :p
They gave WoW players the date back in April last year, no one noticed until way after.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Corky said:
hey exodus et al

hows the performance? gpu usage? Sli scaling?

I dont have SLI, with vertical sync i have solid 60fps on every zone of game.
Without it i'm in 110+- All on maximum.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gromph said:
I dont have SLI, with vertical sync i have solid 60fps on every zone of game.
Without it i'm in 110+- All on maximum.

what are your spec :) ?

red731

blizzard-product-slate-leaked-game0-img207031.jpg

Old bud still interesting. I hope for December launch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corky said:
hey exodus et al

hows the performance? gpu usage? Sli scaling?
From what I heard it doesn't matter what your specs are you can run it fine as long as you have some kind of graphics.

Corky

Hazaro said:
From what I heard it doesn't matter what your specs are you can run it fine as long as you have some kind of graphics.

haha well, I mean in essence the very same can be said about WoW and SC2 ( afterall I was running vanilla wow during it's release with my 9800 pro and it worked amazingly ) but both games can even bring high end rigs to their knees.

Gromph

Staff Member
Corky said:
haha well, I mean in essence the very same can be said about WoW and SC2 ( afterall I was running vanilla wow during it's release with my 9800 pro and it worked amazingly ) but both games can even bring high end rigs to their knees.

A friend tested yesterday in my home in his notebook, he have a 9800 and the game looks fine but at high/medium/low settings combined.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corky said:
That's because Ultra is unoptimized as shit and adds almost nothing but effects with no regard to power used.

Valnen

Hazaro said:
Define "some kind".

My processor is below minimum (AMD Athlon 64 3000+) and my graphics card is just an 8600 GT.

Really hope I get into the beta to see if this will be doable or not :x.

Gromph

Staff Member
Hazaro said:
That's because Ultra is unoptimized as shit and adds almost nothing but effects with no regard to power used.

I can agree this.

I think i will try new 285 beta drivers and try the 3D of nvidia on D3.

Corky

Dina said:
Do you have a link to the video?

Not sure if it's this one, and I'm certainly not someone who randomly goes " oh derp he's playing him wrong " but this time I'll pull out that card and at least say god he is playing him odd. Bow? Hex + Zombie charger + arrows? See a group of 20 zombies -> start shooting one arrow at a time at them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nek66J-5ACw

atleast he wisens up and starts using toads + dogs or something.
edit : scratch that, he really doesn't know what he's doing.

FieryBalrog said:

Yeah, that was the stress test, I managed to beg a key off someone for that.

Some people even managed to get their characters all the way up to level 30, 33 even?, in those three little zones.

Good times.

Corky said:
Not sure if it's this one, and I'm certainly not someone who randomly goes " oh derp he's playing him wrong " but this time I'll pull out that card and at least say god he is playing him odd. Bow? Hex + Zombie charger + arrows? See a group of 20 zombies -> start shooting one arrow at a time at them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nek66J-5ACw

atleast he wisens up and starts using toads + dogs or something.
edit : scratch that, he really doesn't know what he's doing.

I'm not suggesting he was doing it wrong, just it wasn't fun to watch, IMO. The narrating got slowly and steadily more annoying.
But people seem legitimately excited for the WD; it's just not my cup of tea.
edit: that said, were I bestowed closed beta access, I'd thrash the WD indiscriminately :D

Pixel Pete said:
I'm not suggesting he was doing it wrong, just it wasn't fun to watch, IMO. The narrating got slowly and steadily more annoying.
But people seem legitimately excited for the WD; it's just not my cup of tea.
edit: that said, were I bestowed closed beta access, I'd thrash the WD indiscriminately :D

No he was definately doing it wrong

Freki

UnluckyKate said:
Do you realise that Diablo 3 is in Q4 column ? That mean betwen january and the end of march...

Do you realize that Activision/Blizzard financial quarters == real quarters, which means between October and December...

pieatorium said:
No he was definately doing it wrong

Yeah, Dogs toads and haunt should be the three spells you keep on your hot bar at all times (at least to the point that he got up to) and you should be getting a little bit closer to the monsters with toads just like a sorc with charged bolt. Not trying to range them from so far away.

Castor Krieg said:
Companies set their financial year as they choose, it doesn't have to be April till March... It's common for many companies to set them the same as calendar year.

You could also just look at the chart and see that WoW Cataclysm and Starcraft 2 released during the calendar year quaters listed there.

I don't know how much stock I put in that chart. It may indeed be legit, but things change. For example where is the WoW movie, if its launching in a year they would be in production right now. It seems more like vaporware. Also, I would find it pretty surprising if Titan were launching in 2 years and we still have only some dubious and semi-contradictory rumors about what it is.

epmode

This beta stuff has me even more shocked that Torchlight 2 still isn't out. Figured we'd have that for at least six months before Diablo 3.

KKRT00

FieryBalrog said:
Also, I would find it pretty surprising if Titan were launching in 2 years and we still have only some dubious and semi-contradictory rumors about what it is.
We have, that it will be social game with facebook integration.

That's the point with secrecy of MMO's, we know that in two years we will be playing World of Darkness and we havent seen even one screenshot from that game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MrKnives said:
Depressing how someone like Athene gets invited into the beta while someone like me don't http://www.athenelive.com/
Depressing, yes... but he's got close contact with Blizzard so it was obvious from start I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom