• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FieryBalrog said:
Also, I would find it pretty surprising if Titan were launching in 2 years and we still have only some dubious and semi-contradictory rumors about what it is.

Well, it's probably a bit different for MMOs since they're still pretty actively selling WoW, maybe it makes more sense to keep the new stuff under wraps till WoW is truly over and done with.

TheExodu5

Banned
chris-013 said:
http://wowbox.tw/d3/skill.php?id=Wizard_Disintegrate

[09/17] Skills can select Level and Rune Level now !

It seems runes lv5 are not too bad. ^^

Yeah, runes appear to be in. Any idea how you're supposed to get them? I was never sure if they were drops.

edit: interesting...I killed the Skeleton King again with my barb, and got a magic Sickle. Salvaging it resulted in me getting a rare crafting mat (Fallen Tooth), however.

KKRT00

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, runes appear to be in. Any idea how you're supposed to get them? I was never sure if they were drops.
Normally they drop like every item ingame, but they turn them off for beta [who knows why].

BTW Exodu5 any performance tests? How this game support multi-threads, how cpu affects performance, how heavy combats affects framerates etc

MooMoo

So today I woke up to an Amazon order update in my inbox. In my mind I was thinking "holy crap, there's only one game I have preordered that doesn't have a set release date!" So then I started freaking out. But then I opened up the email and it was for FF13-2 =/

TUSR

Banned
So my dad brought home a laptop from work.

Current MacBook Pro model
17" screen
8 GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
512 GB SSD
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

Used it to Opt in on.

The thing can boot up in under 10 seconds.

KrawlMan

Squire Felix said:
So my dad brought home a laptop from work.

Current MacBook Pro model
17" screen
8 GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
512 GB SSD
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

Used it to Opt in on.

The thing can boot up in under 10 seconds.

Just an fyi, having a very capable computer doesn't mean you'll have a better shot at getting into the Beta (unless of course your other computer is virtually obsolete).

TUSR

Banned
KrawlMan said:
Just an fyi, having a very capable computer doesn't mean you'll have a better shot at getting into the Beta (unless of course your other computer is virtually obsolete).
Ya I know, they want variety

Its the other end of the Mac spectrum, bare minimum requirements, and ill probably Opt in on my other Bnet account with it now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Request: baba ww-oriented build, preferably pvp (but let me see your pve build if you got any). Would appreciate it a lot!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Artadius said:
Barbarian Avatar of the Ancients build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#fcWkQP!TZd!abYZbZ

Uses the three ancient's same primary skills along with other skills fit the theme as well. PvE / themed build obviously.
Absolutely genius, thanks!

Now to reload the page around two billion times until my mobile net decides to make it work (GAF works fine, everything else don't).

MrKnives

I wonder if there will be a workaround to PvP not being ranked (only hidden rank). Would be easy if there is custom PvP where you can join games but I think it's only SC2 ladder styled?

Yoshichan

I give up. I truly can't open the link, no matter how many times I refresh the fucker.

Can someone just copy'n'paste the stuff for me? I'd love you a bunch!

Artadius

Yoshichan said:
I give up. I truly can't open the link, no matter how many times I refresh the fucker.

Can someone just copy'n'paste the stuff for me? I'd love you a bunch!

Actives:

Frenzy w/ Alabaster (Triumph)
Cleave w/ Gold (Sweeping Swing)
Weapon Throw w/ Indigo (Ricochet)
Whirlwind w/ Crimson (Volcanic Eruption)
Call of the Ancients w/ Gold (Duty to the Clan)
Wrath of the Beserker w/ Crimson (Insanity)

Passives:

Boon of Bul-Kathos
Pound of Flesh
Animosity

Do you need the actual stats or just the skills+runes?

Also, check your PM.

Yoshichan

Thank you kindly, sir! I don't need the skill descriptions :)!

Trickster

Does anyone know if there will be a ladder-like system in D3?

I really don't want the game to end up like the current non ladder in D2. The only things there that seem to be worth anything these days are the big crazy runewords, stuff like Windfury and Grandfathers that I used to dream about getting for my characters on the ladder when I played the game actively many years ago, are pretty much scoofed at on the non ladder these days. I mean, a friend of mine just handed me an enigma for my lvl 1 bowazon after i installed the game, even though we both knew I couldn't use it for anything really.

I just hope D3 doesn't reach a similar state after 1 or 2 years due to a neverending influx of items

Yoshichan

That's mostly because of duping though, I think? Besides, as long as items are worth real money (through AH), it will never become like D2.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So yoshi, I'm not sure if you have, but have you posted your impressions of the game/beta?

Yoshichan

Corky said:
So yoshi, I'm not sure if you have, but have you posted your impressions of the game/beta?
I had a real life speech that I held to a couple of D2-hardcore people. I explained to them how D3 will affect their lives just like the previous title did. Based of what I've played (and honestly, if my situation would've been better I'd have played it a lot more), it's just perfect in every shape and form. And this isn't even hyperbole. I'm not saying this just so that you guys can turn all HYPE-MODE and then realize the game is slightly disappointing. I'm saying this as bloody fact. When I play a game with great potential, I can feel it. This game has a bunch of those feelings :).

Raide

Yoshichan said:
I had a real life speech that I held to a couple of D2-hardcore people. I explained to them how D3 will affect their lives just like the previous title did. Based of what I've played (and honestly, if my situation would've been better I'd have played it a lot more), it's just perfect in every shape and form. And this isn't even hyperbole. I'm not saying this just so that you guys can turn all HYPE-MODE and then realize the game is a disappointment. I'm saying this as bloody fact. When I play a game with great potential, I can feel it. This game has a bunch of those feelings :).

The one question fans want to know...is it a worthy successor to Diablo 2?

Kalnos

Banned
Raide said:

Now what do you think he's going to say? Dude is on the D3 Kool-Aid ATM.
KuGsj.gif

Kalnos

Banned
Raide said:
:D

The other side of my question, will people be playing it years from now, just like Diablo 2?

Yeah, they will. If for no other reason than Blizzard knows how to support a product and will create a great online community. I'm not sure if I will be one of those people who plays it for very long but I'm sure I will come back to it after a number of years and find people playing.

Yoshichan

Raide said:
The other side of my question, will people be playing it years from now, just like Diablo 2?
I was actually about to edit my original post, explaining how I feel about this compared to Diablo II. As a game, I truly do feel that it's got just as much potential as LoD. Here's the tricky part that's been bothering me though... D3 will not be affected by nostalgia in a long, long time. We need to remind ourselves that part of what made D2 so good to us was the fact that most of us were very young back then, and we played 12+ hours a day with our friends. Amazing shit like that is extremely hard to replicate for some of us (most of this is due to lack of time).

I'm positive that D3 will turn out just as you plan on making it. Spend time with it, gather up some friends, play it like you used to back in the days. Because I sure as fucking hell will relive the same stuff I did in D2 back in the days.

V_Arnold

Yoshichan said:
I had a real life speech that I held to a couple of D2-hardcore people. I explained to them how D3 will affect their lives just like the previous title did. Based of what I've played (and honestly, if my situation would've been better I'd have played it a lot more), it's just perfect in every shape and form. And this isn't even hyperbole. I'm not saying this just so that you guys can turn all HYPE-MODE and then realize the game is slightly disappointing. I'm saying this as bloody fact. When I play a game with great potential, I can feel it. This game has a bunch of those feelings :).

Love this post.
Love the attitude.
Love the message.

Love Diablo 3.
Do not love Marineking, but that is personal!

Yoshichan said:
I was actually about to edit my original post, explaining how I feel about this compared to Diablo II. As a game, I truly do feel that it's got just as much potential as LoD. Here's the tricky part that's been bothering me though... D3 will not be affected by nostalgia in a long, long time. We need to remind ourselves that part of what made D2 so good to us was the fact that most of us were very young back then, and we played 12+ hours a day with our friends. Amazing shit like that is extremely hard to replicate for some of us (most of this is due to lack of time).

I'm positive that D3 will turn out just as you plan on making it. Spend time with it, gather up some friends, play it like you used to back in the days. Because I sure as fucking hell will relive the same stuff I did in D2 back in the days.

For a few years, I was unable to play Diablo with any friends. Got a shitty pc (was a wonder D2 even ran on it, D2+LOD BARELY fit on my disk...jeez) and no internet at home..and all I could do was single player in the first years. The game gave me my first "what the hell am I doing with my life" moment when I was running through the same run over and over and over and over again, and at around 11pm or something like that, after an intenese 1000+ hrs into the game, I deleted the whole game and moved on! :D (Came back to it later, but never as a super-hardcore, no way. That was for WoW in 2006-2010 :D)

KrawlMan

I'm having so much fun just looking through possible builds in this game. I'm leaning towards a straight offensive/glass cannon style Arcane Wizard.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZmROkS!Zbf!bZaZZZ

Focuses mostly on Arcane dmg boosting and Arcane power regen. I would imagine a pretty sick combo would be to drop the Sparkflint/Familiar, (possibly Arcane Hydra too), then Time Warp/Slow Time an enemy, and a combination of Arcane Torrent/Disruption barrage and Magic Missile/Attunement to regen Arcane power and trigger Arcane Dynamo. Definitely a lot more practical with something like a templar follower or a melee in group keeping the enemies in place.

I'm sure I'll find a better build for soloing, but this sounds hella fun for grouping. I'll miss using Teleport, but the CD on it in this game makes it less appealing.

Yoshichan

V_Arnold said:
Do not love Marineking, but that is personal!
I still love you though, 2.5% homo ♥ !
V_Arnold said:
For a few years, I was unable to play Diablo with any friends. Got a shitty pc (was a wonder D2 even ran on it, D2+LOD BARELY fit on my disk...jeez) and no internet at home..and all I could do was single player in the first years. The game gave me my first "what the hell am I doing with my life" moment when I was running through the same run over and over and over and over again, and at around 11pm or something like that, after an intenese 1000+ hrs into the game, I deleted the whole game and moved on! :D (Came back to it later, but never as a super-hardcore, no way. That was for WoW in 2006-2010 :D)
See, this is the (amazing) shit I'm talking about! I'm currently so hyped it's not even funny, I'd love it if anyone else would share some of their half embarrassing, half ridiculously awesome D1/2 stories they've had!

Yoshichan said:
I still love you though, 2.5% homo ♥ !

See, this is the (amazing) shit I'm talking about! I'm currently so hyped it's not even funny, I'd love it if anyone else would share some of their half embarrassing, half ridiculously awesome D1/2 stories they've had!

Bought Diablo II + LoD a few weeks ago, played about 3 hours. Half embarrassing, half embarrassing.

V_Arnold

Talk about embarassing? I remember my first Assassin crystal clear. NO guide, no "how to do" guide. I was a straightforward type, and in RPG's, I REFUSED to use any backstab/stealth/trap stuff, so i IGNORED the trap stuff. Completely.

Also, I kinda put all my points into the passives (+attack, +movement, etc, claw mastery etc..), and by the time I got to nightmare Act3, all I had was a bad gear, and SINGLE TARGET SKILLS. Yeah.... i hate that act. Hate with all I got. And I refused to use hirelings also, omg....

Yeah, that is hardcore, not the guides. A few years later, when trying an assassin again, I realized how easy it is to go with traps. Was not a funny realization, to be honest :p

Kalnos

Banned
To be honest, I will always love D2 but it's pretty annoying how much the word 'nostalgia' gets thrown around when talking about Blizzard games. There will be things I prefer about D2 when I play D3, just as there were things I preferred about D1 when I played D2.

When Diablo 3 is released and people talk about how 'awesome' stair trapping was in Diablo 1 or how sweet duping was in Diablo 2 then that's when you pull out the nostalgia card.

As far as my most memorable experience... I play these games in hardcore and watching my Barbarian die in Hell to a named Gloam in the Worldstone Keep was a weird experience. I didn't know how to feel exactly.
KuGsj.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yoshichan said:

<3<3<3 ...

thanks for making the wait even more unbearable :)!

N4pKz.jpg

V_Arnold

Kalnos said:
To be honest, I will always love D2 but it's pretty annoying how much the word 'nostalgia' gets thrown around when talking about Blizzard games. There will be things I prefer about D2 when I play D3, just as there were things I preferred about D1 when I played D2.

When Diablo 3 is released and people talk about how 'awesome' stair trapping was in Diablo 1 or how sweet duping was in Diablo 2 then that's when you pull out the nostalgia card.

Feel free to. Even without seeing Diablo 3, I can pretty easily form an opinion about things that I do NOT want back:

- Acts that were completely useless in terms of replayability, only providing you some kind of block in your way to get through them (yes, I am talking about you, ACT2), or acts that were only useful with ONE section (yep, Travincal and Act3).
- Skill point management with no real choices unless you are doing THE alternative ("put all into energy, go ES) to the "obvious".
- No retalent, or retalent patched in 10 years after it was needed
- Clunky interface for inventory management
- Bad pathfinding for minions
- A lot of skills that scream "amazing" but turn out to be completely useless on "Hell"
- Bad and unimaginative skills having tons of synergies, imaginative once having zero

I do not need a D3 to know that these things were not good in D2 - in fact, I love D2 despite these issues, and it still will be a timeless classic, thanks to its gameplay. D3 wont bleed from a thousands wounds like that, thanks to the current development team's unique and strong direction regarding skills and builds.

Yoshichan

V_Arnold said:
Talk about embarassing? I remember my first Assassin crystal clear. NO guide, no "how to do" guide. I was a straightforward type, and in RPG's, I REFUSED to use any backstab/stealth/trap stuff, so i IGNORED the trap stuff. Completely.

Also, I kinda put all my points into the passives (+attack, +movement, etc, claw mastery etc..), and by the time I got to nightmare Act3, all I had was a bad gear, and SINGLE TARGET SKILLS. Yeah.... i hate that act. Hate with all I got. And I refused to use hirelings also, omg....

Yeah, that is hardcore, not the guides. A few years later, when trying an assassin again, I realized how easy it is to go with traps. Was not a funny realization, to be honest :p
By the Gods, that's hilarious :lol

Then again, I come from this Korean hardcore MMORPG called Legend of Mir where you were supposed to be extremely conversant with potions. So as I created my first sorc, I immediately put all my skill ups on Warmth so that I had THE AMAZING MANA REGEN! Could I kill anything outside of act 1 though? Nope, sorry! I had to reroll my fucking character, bwhahaha.

Or how about my baba I created with my friend? Apparently he told me to NOT spend anything until level 70-80 would be the best so that we can spend our points exactly according to what we wanted. Problem here? Yeah, the fact that both of us did the exact same no-skill-build. After a lot of convincing from him, we decided to put a bunch of points into weapon masteries (that had no affect on our current weapons, ffs...) and we ended up dying so many times against Duriel that we both quit the game for months.

My God, I can't believe I'm actually typing this... and it was supposed to be a secret.

Kalnos

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Feel free to. Even without seeing Diablo 3, I can pretty easily form an opinion about things that I do NOT want back:

Yep, and a lot of those are simply improvements in technology and the resources of the company (Pathfinding, UI improvements, etc). Diablo 3 won't bleed from those wounds, no, but I'm sure like any game there will be new problems and hurdles for Blizzard to face.

Also, as far as useless abilities go I'm pretty sure with a billion combinations of runestone variants that greater than half of them will be 'useless' in the eyes of the community about a year after release.

Yoshichan

Kalnos said:
Yep, and a lot of those are simply improvements in technology and the resources of the company (Pathfinding, UI improvements, etc). Diablo 3 won't bleed from those wounds, no, but I'm sure like any game there will be new problems and hurdles for Blizzard to face.
I'm already convinced that WoW-players (no offense to good WoW-players) that lack experience with other games will definitely jump onto the "OMFG-IMBA-NERF"-bandwagon when arena starts rolling up on live servers.

V_Arnold

Kalnos said:

Also, as far as useless abilities go I'm pretty sure with a billion combinations of runestone variants that greater than half of them will be 'useless' in the eyes of the community about a year after release.

Thing is, min-maxing cannot be prevented. If there is more than ONE skill to use, the "clevah" guys will find THE skill to use. If there is cooldown on it, the clevah guys find out the perfect rotation to use THE skill.

There is no shame on having Elitist Jerks between your favorites in the browser. But whether the "pros" disregard a skill or two, if it feels FUN to you, and you have the skill (APM, precisity) and the gear, then you will be able to farm with it. And that is all that matters to me.

Kalnos

Banned
Yoshichan said:
I'm already convinced that WoW-players (no offense to good WoW-players) that lack experience with other games will definitely jump onto the "OMFG-IMBA-NERF"-bandwagon when arena starts rolling up on live servers.

Good, hopefully Blizzard lets them whine for good laughs. Arena was one of the worst things to happen to that game IMO and I'm glad that Blizzard isn't putting a big focus on it in D3. I got Glad in WoW in S1 and realized I wasn't really having much fun, I'm going to be a 'PvEr' in this game though.

V_Arnold

Haha, I just realized something.

In Go, there is balance in unity. It reached perfection by being simple, yet incredibly complex because of the nature of its rules.

In Chess, there is balance in being mirrored by start - there ARE imba units (nerf QUEEN! nerf knight!), but since both players have only a limited amount of them, it does not matter. In fact, it encourages creative thinking of using the stronger units.

I am sure that many balance theories draw the main concepts from either go or chess.

Kalnos

Banned
Chess actually encourages you to use your weaker pieces creatively in order to make your stronger pieces even stronger, thus the name 'pawn'. The complexity involved is how many moves ahead you're planning and how many different branches you can take from that plan.

I'm not familiar enough with Go to really talk about it, I really should learn how to play!

TheExodu5

Banned
KKRT00 said:
Normally they drop like every item ingame, but they turn them off for beta [who knows why].

BTW Exodu5 any performance tests? How this game support multi-threads, how cpu affects performance, how heavy combats affects framerates etc
I'll try to get to that tonight. Just got home from my LAN.

V_Arnold said:
Add TP-potion spam to that list, as well as the "spam 2 abilities the whole game" builds.

I enjoyed the fuck out of D2, but looking back there were a lot of questionable (to say the least) mechanics in that game.

I guess my embarrassing D2 story would be that I would grief people doing Bloody Foothills runs with a maxed out Thunderstorm sorceress. With -100 resists in Hell, a level 30 Tstorm just one-shot people as I teleported by. Yeah, I was that guy unfortunately.

TheExodu5

Banned
Raide said:

From what I've played and seen so far, I'm going to say that I don't think it will surpass Diablo 1/2 from an "atmospheric" perspective (as much as I hate throwing that word around). That being said, I think the gameplay is what counts the most here, and from what I can tell it's not going to be a contest in this regard. Diablo 3 will have a lot more variety to it, for one, and hopefully a proper trade economy that is not built around heavy rune duping. I'm guessing that I wouldn't be able to go back to Diablo 2 after playing much of Diablo 3.

V_Arnold said:

- Acts that were completely useless in terms of replayability, only providing you some kind of block in your way to get through them (yes, I am talking about you, ACT2), or acts that were only useful with ONE section (yep, Travincal and Act3).
- Skill point management with no real choices unless you are doing THE alternative ("put all into energy, go ES) to the "obvious".
- No retalent, or retalent patched in 10 years after it was needed
- Clunky interface for inventory management
- Bad pathfinding for minions
- A lot of skills that scream "amazing" but turn out to be completely useless on "Hell"
- Bad and unimaginative skills having tons of synergies, imaginative once having zero

I do not need a D3 to know that these things were not good in D2 - in fact, I love D2 despite these issues, and it still will be a timeless classic, thanks to its gameplay. D3 wont bleed from a thousands wounds like that, thanks to the current development team's unique and strong direction regarding skills and builds.

Yep. As much as I love D2, it's an extremely flawed game, and as a result, I think D3 is going to be leaps and bounds beyond it.

V_Arnold

Kalnos said:
Chess actually encourages you to use your weaker pieces creatively in order to make your stronger pieces even stronger, thus the name 'pawn'. The complexity involved is how many moves ahead you're planning and how many different branches you can take from that plan.

I'm not familiar enough with Go to really talk about it, I really should learn how to play!

Try it out! Easy to understand rules, an interesting learning curve ("complete noob" for 30 mins, "I know the rules but I do not really know how to think too much ahead" for a few days, "I go and look for fights in the 13*13 table" for a week, "doing whatever feels fine on 19*19" for a month or two, then full-force pattern recognition, problem solving, and thinking for the rest of your life :D), and a free-to-play online platform (gokgs.com). The game that will always stay with me is Go! :)

Yoshichan said:

fuck.

I loved D2's atmosphere, but there were large areas of the game where I felt it didn't shine through that well. Chief among these would be all of Act 3 bar the Durance of Hate. Also Act 1 prior to the Cathedral is very drab.

I don't think I ever legitimately completed Act 3. I gave up on the single player game midway through it, and online I'm pretty sure I got skipped through all of it or parts of it. I remember killing the Council several times, but someone usually had the Flail already.

Yoshichan

V_Arnold said:
Try it out! Easy to understand rules, an interesting learning curve ("complete noob" for 30 mins, "I know the rules but I do not really know how to think too much ahead" for a few days, "I go and look for fights in the 13*13 table" for a week, "doing whatever feels fine on 19*19" for a month or two, then full-force pattern recognition, problem solving, and thinking for the rest of your life :D), and a free-to-play online platform (gokgs.com). The game that will always stay with me is Go! :)
You got me interested now...
Pixel Pete said:
&#9829; XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom