• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Consumer Nightmare Mode thread

OK. This is weird.

My account is there, my character is there, but all the items and coins are gone.

WTF is this shit? I'm going to change my password. Fucking shit, Blizzard.

Wallach

Pay to win what?

All of this stuff was known before anyone purchased the game, but we all knew these threads were coming regardless.

It's funny because getting the things that are valuable to drop is the winning part; paying for said valuable is certainly on the losing end of the equation.

Thoraxes

I read it on the Battle.net forums.

Anyways, shit is getting out of hand but I expect Blizzard is just going to keep quiet about all this and sweep it under the rug when no ones looking. It's crazy when you need more security to protect a game account than your bank account.

Personally, I wish everything digital I used had an authenticator to it. Everything you do on the internet is vulnerable. Blizzard games just happen to be more cashcows than other games or services for hackers and gold/item sellers.

Nothing is safe on the internet.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's annoying, but I've learned to not care and let them be ignorant. Then when they get hacked, I can say "I told you so. Now shut the fuck up and listen to me like you should have done in the first place."

Yeah like seriously anytime I try to help people with tech or security I feel like I'm talking to a wall since they completely ignore any advice I give. Also funny thing my cousin is convinced his stupid finger scanner on his laptop is enough security for his 1 password for all accounts system.

Sophia

Personally, I wish everything digital I used had an authenticator to it. Everything you do on the internet is vulnerable. Blizzard games just happen to be more cashcows than other games or services for hackers and gold/item sellers.

Nothing is safe on the internet.

I'm very fond of the authenticator method myself, I just wish there was more of a standard regarding them.

It's not even the effects of elites that I was refering too. Some of the skills are just.... terrible.

Take Ancient Spear for example. The mobs you'd most likely want to use this very situational ability on are immune and/or too small to accurately hit. Or Bash, of which the damage is too low. Or the passive Unfrogiving; It generates too little fury, and not nearly fast enough, making it a worthless option.

And then you add the problems of melee range and elite effects, and you can toss most of the Secondaries in there as well.

Yeah, all the Fury spenders are terrible. There is no reason my primary on an unlimited resource should be doing more damage than a specialized secondary on a very tight resource.

Yeah, sometimes I'm worried I'm playing it wrong when I look at most of my skills and think "that sounds useless," or use my spenders for situational effects rather than for their damage, if I even remember to use them.

Sophia

Yeah, sometimes I'm worried I'm playing it wrong when I look at most of my skills and think "that sounds useless," or use my spenders for situational effects rather than for their damage, if I even remember to use them.

The only spender I've ever seen be useful is Seismic Slam, and only for it's knockback/stuns. It's damage is still awful unless you get the 200% weapon damage rune (which many do as it gives knockback increases too.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And even then, seis. slam is very situational.

Ri'Orius

So regarding the authenticator issue like nearly everyone I know flat out refuses to get an aunthenticator even if they have a smartphone because they don't give a damn about their security or they're just lazy. I've tried convincing my friends/family but apparently having different passwords for everything and having 2 step verification is flat out outrageous and not worth the time. Also some want to see their accounts hacked since they can just start again and it's not valuable to them since they only have SC2 or some stupid reason like that.

So as I understand it, the authenticator is only necessary if you get phished or keylogged, right? I dunno, I don't see either of those as likely, and if they do happen, I want to know about it.

So yeah, if I log on one day to find all my stuff gone, that sucks, but at least it tells me I need to run an antivirus more often. Knowing I've been compromised is worth the loot in my stash, easy.

Teknoman

My only complaints are: it takes too long for the game to ramp up in difficulty, the sound mix still seems off...with the music being way quieter than it should be after the title screen (no matter the music volume level, still have to crank up my PC volume...and its not my PC since I dont have this issue with any other game), and of course the wacky latency problems we've been having on and off since 2 days after launch.

EDIT: The pay to win complaints are really dumb though, especially since most people arent going to use it. Hell how many people buy MMORPG money?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey etiolate: Guild Wars 2 will suck and will never achieve even 10% of WoW's success. Keep on with your monthly Blizzard bashing.
Come on man, we're better than that in this thread.

Sophia

So as I understand it, the authenticator is only necessary if you get phished or keylogged, right? I dunno, I don't see either of those as likely, and if they do happen, I want to know about it.

So yeah, if I log on one day to find all my stuff gone, that sucks, but at least it tells me I need to run an antivirus more often.

No the Authenticator is necessary LONG BEFORE any of those happen. It's an additional security measure that protects you from stupid mistakes. Like common malware (non keylogger) and phishing schemes that a lot of people fall victim to.

hyduK

Banned
It's a lootwhore and gear game like D2, but a little different because its a linear gear progression with difficulty based on gear checks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hI4peeO3yzY

That talks about the difference. I should probably add it to the OP.

This video is all kinds of stupid.

First of all. He makes it seem like in Diablo II the best way to get items was to find them. I can't even begin to talk about how wrong that is. The item he uses as an example in the beginning (Windforce) is one that you would likely almost NEVER see. You don't find the items you need in Diablo II, you find items that are worth something and trade them for currency (which in D2 was SoJ's and HR's, items you really couldn't farm besides rushing for forge, and even then it was impossible), then trade the currency for the items you need.

In Diablo III you use the AH. In Diablo II you make a game trying to trade your items for SoJ's (or HR's) and then trade those for the items you actually need. Oh, and you'll almost NEVER find the SoJ's or HR's by yourself...at least in D3 you have an endless supply of gold if you farm it.

Gems are one dimensional (meanwhile he posts Diablo II runes on the screen). They're no more one dimensional than in Diablo II.

I get the feeling that most game design complaints are coming from people who never played Diablo II, which is fine, but at least do the research before you trying to infer that they CHANGED the systems to make money.

Nelo Ice

Banned

So yeah, if I log on one day to find all my stuff gone, that sucks, but at least it tells me I need to run an antivirus more often.

IMO it's necessary period to prevent phishing or keylogging from ever happening. It's like impossible for that situation to happen if you have 2 step verification such as an authenticator. Like right now I feel like my steam/bnet accounts are safe since my email along with the previously mentioned accounts all have a form of 2step verification.

The only spender I've ever seen be useful is Seismic Slam, and only for it's knockback/stuns. It's damage is still awful unless you get the 200% weapon damage rune (which many do as it gives knockback increases too.)
That's the only one I use (for the stun) as a "oops ground stomp hasn't recharged yet." skill.

Sophia

That's the only one I use (for the stun) as a "oops ground stomp hasn't recharged yet." skill.

I stopped using Ground Stomp when I realized how much better Ignore Pain + Wrath of the Berserker is for Revenge procs. >.>;

IMO it's necessary period to prevent phishing or keylogging from ever happening. It's like impossible for that situation to happen if you have 2 step verification such as an authenticator. Like right now I feel like my steam/bnet accounts are safe since my email along with the previously mentioned accounts all have a form of 2step verification.

It's not impossible to be hacked with two step authentication. But it requires that your PC be completely compromised to the point that a man in the middle attack is trivial.

If your PC is that compromised, you have no business being anywhere near a computer. Or near anyone else, for that matter.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
-Should the consumer base support online DRM for a non-mmo game?

No, and the fact that some people do is crazy but that's another thread.

The fact I can't play the game offline and so I have to open myself up to hackers (or get an "authenticator" which is a huge pain in the ass to play the game "offline"/singleplayer which is insane) is crazy. I don't care about the Real Money Auction House since I can safely ignore it (and the loot drops being "funneled toward that" with the crap drop rate makes it in line with Stones of Jordan and such in D2, which I safely ignored as well), I just want the ability to play the game offline and if I join ONLINE my account isn't going to get hacked and if it does it isn't tied to my D2/Starcraft/... etc. keys on Battle.net.

That is why I'm not giving Diablo 3 the time of day besides the fact I don't have a PC capable of running it. It's more than enough reason to keep me away and just play Diablo 2 for ten more years.

Ri'Orius

No the Authenticator is necessary LONG BEFORE any of those happen. It's an additional security measure that protects you from stupid mistakes. Like common malware (non keylogger) and phishing schemes that a lot of people fall victim to.

I edited this in late, but: knowing that I've been infected/phished/otherwise compromised is easily worth everything in my stash.

Sophia

No, and the fact that some people do is crazy but that's another thread.

The fact I can't play the game offline and so I have to open myself up to hackers (or get an "authenticator" which is a huge pain in the ass to play the game "offline"/singleplayer which is insane) is crazy. I don't care about the Real Money Auction House since I can safely ignore it (and the loot drops being "funneled toward that" with the crap drop rate makes it in line with Stones of Jordan and such in D2, which I safely ignored as well), I just want the ability to play the game offline and if I join ONLINE my account isn't going to get hacked and if it does it isn't tied to my D2/Starcraft/... etc. keys on Battle.net.

That is why I'm not giving Diablo 3 the time of day besides the fact I don't have a PC capable of running it. It's more than enough reason to keep me away and just play Diablo 2 for ten more years.

I do believe the game should have an offline mode, although I've never understood the reasons for why anyone would want such a mod. Diablo is at it's best when you've got friends.

But to each their own, I guess.

Your tone seems rather threatening tho.

I edited this in late, but: knowing that I've been infected/phished/otherwise compromised is easily worth everything in my stash.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, and one I don't see all too often. Even people here on NeoGAF tend to ignore the implications (Hint: If you've ever used your credit cards on that PC, you may want to check them) of them being hacked in favor of "OMFG ALL MY ITEMS ARE GONE!!!!"

Rokam

I do believe the game should have an offline mode, although I've never understood the reasons for why anyone would want such a mod. Diablo is at it's best when you've got friends.

But to each their own, I guess.

I was honestly surprised that so many people played Diablo in offline mode. Seems so odd.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's not impossible to be hacked with two step authentication. But it requires that your PC be completely compromised to the point that a man in the middle attack is trivial.

If your PC is that compromised, you have no business being anywhere near a computer. Or near anyone else, for that matter.

Ahh ic but yeah there's like no reason not have the extra security. Unless like you said you're completely incompetent with a PC lol.

hyduK

Banned
I was honestly surprised that so many people played Diablo in offline mode. Seems so odd.

Yeah, and somehow it's the same people bitching about drop rates. Because we all know how easy it must have been to get gear for yourself in SP D2.

The one inexcusable thing is the lag, anything else can at least be tolerated, eventually adjusted and patched, or chalked up to victim blaming. The game punishes me because I'm stuck on a 3G connection even when I'm playing alone (even if the game has always online DRM, that doesn't mean I should be getting huge lag spikes for it playing by myself).

Instro

I don't like that the same people continue to stick with the keylogging story. Many people, myself included, have reported no such compromise yet still had their accounts broken into. There's obviously some other issue going on there, its far too rampant on GAF alone to be simple user error. I don't understand why certain people continue to blame users for this problem just because they were not aware of authenticators.

With regards to the Auction House. There is no way to do well in this game without using it, although you won't need to use the RMAH. To keep pace with what the increasing difficulty throws at you by simply attempting to farm items. Whether its bad or good, I dont really know. I tried very hard to farm my own gear, but farming items is mostly useless in the game because of the nature of the itemization and the lack of bosses being farmable to begin with. You can see in the OT that most people are simply farming gold at this point. It doesn't help that legendaries are completely worthless as well.

Kade

I've never experienced lag once. I must be lucky. Only issue I've had so far was when I put a shitty Legendary on the AH with no buyout and the server went down with 2 hours left on the auction. Someone bid ~30k right before it went down and the AH timer didn't stop so they got a hell of a deal. Was expecting some chump to pay at least 200k for my Frostburn Gauntlets.

Neki

So I'm just wondering, in Diablo II, there was no Inferno equivalent? What did people do once they cleared the highest difficulty?

Sophia

I don't like that the same people continue to stick with the keylogging story. Many people, myself included, have reported no such compromise yet still had their accounts broken into. There's obviously some other issue going on there, its far too rampant on GAF alone to be simple user error. I don't understand why certain people continue to blame users for this problem just because they were not aware of authenticators.

It seems likely the hackers had a list of email addresses (and potentially passwords) long before Diablo 3 came out. Was your email address associated with Battle.net like a gmail account or some such?

So I'm just wondering, in Diablo II, there was no Inferno equivalent? What did people do once they cleared the highest difficulty?

Farmed loot. And PvP. =p

la_briola

UGH! Fuck this. Authenticator added as well for good measure.

Write a support ticket. They will restore your items and gold from a "backup". Happened to a friend of mine. He lost a good chuck of gold, because the backup was "old", but he got all of his items back.

hyduK

Banned

With regards to the Auction House. There is no way to do well in this game without using it. To keep pace with what the increasing difficulty throws at you by simply attempting to farm items. Whether its bad or good, I dont really know. I tried very hard to farm my own gear, but farming items is mostly useless in the game because of the nature of the itemization and the lack of bosses being farmable to begin with. You can see in the OT that most people are simply farming gold at this point. It doesn't help that legendaries are completely worthless as well.

Sorry, if the issue was on Blizzards end it would be a lot more widespread than it is. It's phishing/keylogging/malware, etc. People get compromised in WoW all the time. It's a game with 10m+ users and a huge incentive for people to gain access to others accounts. It's also a game with tons of fansites/forums and lots of opportunities to try to catch people off guard.

And no ones denying that you need to use the AH here and there. But to act like that was any different from D2 is ignorant (which is inferred when people say that it was designed for the RMAH).

Wallach

It isn't strictly keyloggers, certainly. People get compromised in all kinds of ways. Sometimes you get compromised through other websites or simply because you used the same information somewhere once. For example I guarantee you some of these people were victims simply because they used the same information in the Gawker or Bethesda breaches that occurred in the past couple years.

The industry behind this stuff is making a very focused effort on these accounts due to the release of Diablo 3, and of course they have every reason to do so. The money is there.

Pimpbaa

Hey etiolate: Guild Wars 2 will suck and will never achieve even 10% of WoW's success. Keep on with your monthly Blizzard bashing.

That game has DRM too, since you have to go online to play even if you are playing solo. If we are throwing around that term so loosely, we need to apply it to all online games where game logic is done server side just like D3. Even though no checking is done to see if you have a legit copy like what DRM in games usually entails.

Sophia

Yeah it's not just keyloggers. If you ever used the same email or password elsewhere. If you're using a free provider like yahoo or gmail as your game email. If you're getting spam emails at the address you use. All details that imply that you've been partially compromised.

If you're using a gmail account, and it was on a hackers list, and your password simple, then all they need is any sign that you're playing the game. At that point, your account is as good as bruteforced. :p

Also, you don't need AH to beat the game in Normal, Nightmare or Hell. I've done it. It helps to have some friends who will trade with you, but that's it.

Also, what the hell is the difference between the gold AH and just... trading like in D2? You think people didn't have to trade to get the best gear in D2? Why so clueless?

Thoraxes

Also, you don't need AH to beat the game in Normal, Nightmare or Hell. I've done it. It helps to have some friends who will trade with you, but that's it.

Also, what the hell is the difference between the gold AH and just... trading like in D2? You think people didn't have to trade to get the best gear in D2? Why so clueless?

If anything, it makes having gold more valuable than just being there for scrolls and repairs. Also well, a secure method to obtain items and sell items without any of the hassle or worries of auto-looting bots.

when I last logged in I was early in Act II and had about 40k in gold. logged in tonight and my quest was reset to the first quest in Act 1 and my gold count was down to 840. Was I hacked or is this some kind of tech issue with Blizzard?

Top Bottom