• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Game Director to Diablo 1/2 Project Lead: F**k that loser [Jay apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkel

Banned
Yes because gamers so care about what one dev said the other.

reposting it from other thread:
7822035982_1ffdda1fd0_b.jpg

Sometimes it's easy to forget that certain industry people are just like any other socially awkward person with no tact whatsoever... difference being some of them have pedestals to stand on.

Oh, especially in the gaming industry.

It was clear that the Diablo 1/2 lead tried to be so least harsh as possible in his answers, while remaining honest, and they still get pissed.

JABEE

Who the fuck is silvernail? Diablo 3 sold on the hype and goodwill of the previous games. If diablo 3 was developed without 1 and 2 being out, it would not have sold as much. Why is Jay's comments so "liked" why did Jill make a brown nosing comment about liking it?

Smh at that entire post, how dare they shit on a man who helped build the foundation for their own successes.
The people liking it are probably friends with the Jay and/or work at Blizzard.

sazzy

All the goodwill from the 1.0.4 just went out the window. The D3 forums are exploding with hate

Yep.

A lot of people got excited with the great blog posts from Wyatt Cheng. He comes off as a really nice down to earth dude.

Wilson on the other hand has always seemed full of himself, and this bit just proves it more.

It's time Blizzard's well-oiled PR machine to separate Wilson from the public with several layers.

Jooney

Totally uncalled for and just all-round bad PR.

I can understand being annoyed at Brevik's comments, but goddam, keep those comments to yourself or in an internal blizzard email system, not on a public medium like Facebook.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
What a fail.

Mikami said almost the exact same thing about RE5. Don't remember anyone from the Capcom dudebros jumping out and calling him a looser....

How pathethic is that? The idiot doesn't even realize he is surfing on a wave of success only possible because of Brevik and the team at Blizz North.

It seems to me like people just want all of this to justify their opinions about D3.

I didn´t like the beta of D3, and I refuse to be a part of the RMAH, but I still don´t want to jump on some hatetrain against the Blizzard people for letting out some steam in what they though were a private conversation about a pretty unneccessary and arrogant interview from Brevik.

It´s a silly mistake to let something private like that leak, but do we all need to be a part of the internet mob against them?

Well, that's definitely not the nicest way to handle the situation, but you guys gotta remember how hard it is in development, how many emotions build up, especially after all the crunch and hardship - reading what must feel like a 'Well, they just fucked it up, I would've done a better job' must really hurt on several levels.

I worked at Blizzard for a while, I don't think anybody there wants to do anything less but ship the best games out there - The D3 team worked insanely hard and I'm sure they'll keep working insanely hard to fix things up for the fans out there. These kinda emotions shouldn't really be brought to the outside, but it's kinda like a guy who left the band shitting over the music they're playing. Not cool. Even if some of it might be true, it just leads to this kinda stuff.

It's always easy to judge from the outside, but these kinda things can quickly become very emotional when you're on the inside and your life is affected by it.

So yeah, give the guy a break. After being slapped in the face, the first words out of your mouth might not be the most sensible.

etiolate

Banned
Blizzard's CMs often come off as dicks themselves, so I wonder if they're able to be delicate enough to handle this.

It seems to me like people just want all of this to justify their opinions about D3.

I didn´t like the beta of D3, and I refuse to be a part of the RMAH, but I still don´t want to jump on some hatetrain against the Blizzard people for letting out some steam in what they though were a private conversation about a pretty unneccessary and arrogant interview from Brevik.

It´s a silly mistake to let something private like that leak, but do we all need to be a part of the internet mob against them?

Brevik's interview, while full of candor, was very polite and un-antagonistic. (At least the quoted bits shown.) Also, since when is a visible post on the biggest social-networking site around anything remotely close to being private?

Perkel

Banned
I said gamers - not the whiny kids from battle.net forums

??? wha ? define gamer.

Neogaf laughs from Jay and people involved, diablo forums explode, redit the same and this response to inc,gamers interview was few hours old. Most of US sleeps and when they wake up real shit will start.

In matter of xx hours from now probably sites like IGN or Kotaku will sniff out blood and post it too. What else is there ?

sazzy

Well, that's definitely not the nicest way to handle the situation, but you guys gotta remember how hard it is in development, how many emotions build up, especially after all the crunch and hardship - reading what must feel like a 'Well, they just fucked it up, I would've done a better job' must really hurt on several levels.

I worked at Blizzard for a while, I don't think anybody there wants to do anything less but ship the best games out there - The D3 team worked insanely hard and I'm sure they'll keep working insanely hard to fix things up for the fans out there. These kinda emotions shouldn't really be brought to the outside, but it's kinda like a guy who left the band shitting over the music they're playing. Not cool. Even if some of it might be true, it just leads to this kinda stuff.

It's always easy to judge from the outside, but these kinda things can quickly become very emotional when you're on the inside and your life is affected by it.

So yeah, give the guy a break. After being slapped in the face, the first words out of your mouth might not be the most sensible.

Brevik's comments were very subdued and sensible. So your entire post falls apart.

etiolate

Banned

I can understand being hurt by the Godfather of the game you've been working on saying "I wouldn't have done it that way." I also understand that Brevik is probably hurt that the company decided they could carry on the game without all the people who made the game.

They did directly ask Brevik about whether or not Blizzard chose the right team and if Jay Wilson was the right choice and he totally sidestepped answering the question.

Jooney

I have no doubt in my mind that Blizzard strive to put the best game out there. It's just a shock seeing not one, but a whole bunch of them, publicly shit on a guy who helped lay the foundation for their current success.

There's no other way to slice it - from a PR standpoint, this just looks goddamn awful.

Brevik's comments were very subdued and sensible. So your entire post falls apart.

Well, you can be sensible about your attack, but those words can still hurt. It's easy to stay sensible when dishing out criticism, it's much harder to keep your emotions under control after you read something like that and the words just sunk in.

Yeah, it's maybe immature and all that - but I can see where he's coming from. This kinda stuff can just be very hurtful. Even as professionals who hear honest critique every single day, after you poured your heart into a product like D3 and spent years on your life on it, the last thing you wanna hear is what Brevik said - even if he phrased it nicely.

Lol Wilson comes across as a total dumbass.

As noted in the other thread, Brevik is really not saying anything in that interview. "yeah it would have been different if other people was working on it." How does one get so wound up over that - sensitive much, Wilson?

You can use nice words and still come out with a bad result.

Maybe, but this basically makes D3's director look like he has a precious, fragile ego that cannot handle any criticism whatsoever, regardless how nicely put it might be. Either he's the epitome of a man-child, or he basically deep-down agree's with Brevik.

danmaku

And that's why you shouldn't post on Facebook the first words that come out of your mouth. It's funny to see how people, even tech experts like JW, fail to understand that. They think they're just chatting with their friends while everyone can hear them instead.

demidar

The battle net forum turned into an auction house listing, at least for the class discussion stuff. This is sad. I guess actual discussion must have migrated elsewhere, if it still even exists.

Who needs discussion when a trip to the auction house cures what ails ya (getting pummeled in inferno)

EVIL

@ dekline - amazing avatar!

I read the facebook comments first and then read the interview.. are we talking about another interview here? where david trashtalked the D3 team to the ground? because I dont get the overly powerfull reaction, I mean "Fuck that loser" really?

FtHTiny

The interviewer really fished for something like this.

Brad Hewik tried to not start the trouble aggresively but delievered: We would have done something completly different.

Jay Wilson rages and makes a stupid comment.

Internet explodes.

Hero

Sorry, don't buy it. You don't go on a social media site and slam the guy that left his footprints for you just because he said it wasn't the game he would've made. Without the success of him and everyone else on Diablo and Diablo 2 there wouldn't be a Diablo 3. Cussing him out is one thing but to call him a loser? Not classy at all.

Hope this guy loses his job over it.

V_Arnold

If you search long enough, you can find whatever you seek wherever you're looking. The bits I read seemed completely fine.

When I watched the interview myself yesterday, I had two immediate reactions:

1) His way of answering and sharing his opinion was polite
2) However, there were some strong assumptions when he flat-out stated that D3 is the example of why the people behind the project matters. That sentence, followed by this bit:

I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was. I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that , when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.

...this is just a polite way of saying "we are more talented and more competent at making this game then they have been", which, considering that the current D3 team has spent 5+ years of their lives creating the game, is just an attack. It cant be felt like one if you are not part of the D3 team (I felt nothing, obviously), but one can easily understand how that would instantly piss off any member of the D3, especially the leader of them. Especially him.

Hope this guy loses his job over it.
Nice hopes. I hope for a great weather today.

Well, you can be sensible about your attack, but those words can still hurt. It's easy to stay sensible when dishing out criticism, it's much harder to keep your emotions under control after you read something like that and the words just sunk in.

Yeah, it's maybe immature and all that - but I can see where he's coming from. This kinda stuff can just be very hurtful. Even as professionals who hear honest critique every single day, after you poured your heart into a product like D3 and spent years on your life on it, the last thing you wanna hear is what Brevik said - even if he phrased it nicely.
It's amazing how you're going out of your way to paint the articulate dude as the bad guy and the "fuck this loser" dude as a good guy.

I honestly hear your points but they're kind of moot when he comes out and says stupid stuff like that. There's no really excusing it.

edit: that being said, on a human level, I can totally sympathize with a guy who probably just fucked up his career with 3 words.

Perkel

Banned

It's not about whole D3 dev team. People understand it and will not hold a grudge to someone who is not responsible for that fiasco.

But being front man as Jay is, this means that he needs to be proffesional all time.

David in his interview was very humble and he did share idea of many many people who played game. HE just said that he would do it differently that's all. Jay and few of devs went apeshit for no reason badmouthing in childish way David.

As they say "You reap what you sow" being hardworking dev is no exclusion from that especially if you badmouthing in childish way one of original developers who created for you fanbase and your success.

What they need to do fast is to say "We are sorry, We were wrong" and give people what they want promising them that they work on those problems. Badmouthing anyone won't get you fans.

etiolate

Banned
V_Arnold:

I read that more as an attack at the higher ups than at Wilson & Co. He is arguing against the idea that the name on the box matters far more than the people behind the game. He is saying that the D3 team is working from a similar point as his team was with the first Diablo. After having made two Diablo games and gaining experience with the ARPG genre, the Blizz North team has an advantage and familiarity. That advantage matters and he's glad that it's shown.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I said gamers - not the whiny kids from battle.net forums

Gaffers are not gamers? Because I see people caring enough to post in this topic.

Edit:
God the guy didn't even bash D3 he just stated what he thought they did wrong.Why did they become so hostile?

Just speaking from experience. Personally I get more upset when I know the other part is right but I don't want to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom