• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Game Director to Diablo 1/2 Project Lead: F**k that loser [Jay apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brevik's interview was polite. He said he would do it differently. If he berated D3's team, that he could have done a better game, but he didn't. He said the people who worked on Diablo does matter.
Wilson's response is gonna bite him in the ass. D3 forums is on fire. Awesome idea to cuss out the one responsible for D1 and D2's fame on the biggest social networking site. Yep. Fails at PR 101.
Wilson fucked up big time on a huge monumental scale.
He deleted his comment for some time now.

ElyrionX

I posted this in the other thread but thought it worth posting here again.

I only read the quoted parts in the OP of this thread but this part is utterly ridiculous:

David Brevik: I have very mixed emotions about it (laughs). On one hand I am sad that people haven’t enjoyed Diablo because it’s a love, a passion, and its obvious people still have a giant love and passion for Diablo and they are speaking out about it because they have such love for it. That makes me feel great.

I am sad because people are outraged and, you know, some of the decision they have made are not the decisions I would make and there have been changes in philosophy and that hasn’t gone over very well. I think in that way I am a little sad.

I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was. I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that , when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.

He's basically saying that he would have done it differently and that he would have been able to avoid some of the changes the new team made that weren't very well-received.

Then he goes on to basically insinuate that the D3 team failed because they didn't have the kind of talent that David Brevik and his team had. Bluntly put, he said they failed because they weren't talented and all that talent left after Blizzard North guys (ie. David Brevik himself) left. He's basically praising himself to the high heavens and shitting all over the D3 team. I would be totally pissed if I was Jay Wilson.

How hard is it for people to read in between the lines here? The first response to this thread is:

So humble. I am sad Diablo 3 is poop.

So humble? Are you fucking kidding me?

So on the whole, no, I'm not surprised Jay Wilson responded the way he did. I would probably do the same if I was in his same position. And what does David Brevik have to his name apart from Diablo? Hellgate (by all accounts) was utter shit.

Hero

Nice hopes. I hope for a great weather today.

Well I had hoped Diablo 3 would've kept my attention for more than a month but haven't logged on in quite some time so it's not necessarily going to come true.

But seeing how the D3 forums are exploding makes me sure that someone is definitely going to have a miserable Monday in the office.

"I posted this in the other thread but thought it worth posting here again."

It's not. Your own twisted and hyperbolic interpretation of a fairly polite quote is not worth posting across multiple threads.

ElyrionX

Brevik's interview was polite. He said he would do it differently. If he berated D3's team, that he could have done a better team, but he didn't. He said the people who worked on Diablo does matter.
Wilson's response is gonna bite him in the ass. D3 forums is on fire. Awesome idea to cuss out the one responsible for D1 and D2's fame on the biggest social networking site. Yep. Fails at PR 101.
Wilson fucked up big time on a huge monumental scale.
He deleted his comment for some time now.

Polite? You call this shit polite?

David Brevik: I have very mixed emotions about it (laughs). On one hand I am sad that people haven’t enjoyed Diablo because it’s a love, a passion, and its obvious people still have a giant love and passion for Diablo and they are speaking out about it because they have such love for it. That makes me feel great.

I am sad because people are outraged and, you know, some of the decision they have made are not the decisions I would make and there have been changes in philosophy and that hasn’t gone over very well. I think in that way I am a little sad.

I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was. I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that , when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.

He may have tried to sound polite and politically correct on the surface but just read between those lines and you can tell what he really thinks of himself ("special" and "talented") and what he thinks of the D3 dev team (utter shit).

It's amazing how you're going out of your way to paint the articulate dude as the bad guy and the "fuck this loser" dude as a good guy.

I never said either person is good or bad, it's never as easy as that. It's just a shitty buildup of emotions and a probably somewhat irrational move by Jay Wilson. He was probably very, very upset and didn't think things through. I mean, it's clear that this shit happens when you feel hurt or offended and you don't necessarily think clearly at that very moment. He deleted his comment, meaning he knows it was stupid.

Jay Wilson should just apologize for the comment, the two of them should have a beer and it's all fixed. This stuff happens between creatives. Nothing to get too tangled up about. I sometimes scream with my co-workers as well - and then I apologize. But in the end, I love em all :)

He may have tried to sound polite and politically correct on the surface but just read between those lines and you can tell what he really thinks of himself ("special" and "talented") and what he thinks of the D3 dev team (utter shit).
Still doesn't justify Jay Wilson's response.

Nibel

You guys do know that David Brevik was one of the guys behind Hellgate: London, right? That game was a flaming pile compared to Diablo 3.

You do know that David Brevik was one of the guys behind Diablo 1+2, right? You know them? These two are the only fucking reason why Diablo 3 sold so much. And Diablo 3 is on the same shit level as Hellgate London in my book.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Well, that's definitely not the nicest way to handle the situation, but you guys gotta remember how hard it is in development, how many emotions build up, especially after all the crunch and hardship - reading what must feel like a 'Well, they just fucked it up, I would've done a better job' must really hurt on several levels.

I worked at Blizzard for a while, I don't think anybody there wants to do anything less but ship the best games out there - The D3 team worked insanely hard and I'm sure they'll keep working insanely hard to fix things up for the fans out there. These kinda emotions shouldn't really be brought to the outside, but it's kinda like a guy who left the band shitting over the music they're playing. Not cool. Even if some of it might be true, it just leads to this kinda stuff.

It's always easy to judge from the outside, but these kinda things can quickly become very emotional when you're on the inside and your life is affected by it.

So yeah, give the guy a break. After being slapped in the face, the first words out of your mouth might not be the most sensible.

Working hard does not excuse you from rudeness. The comments that they were replying to were critical but even-handed. The internet is full of irrational and baseless insults to which a reply like this would be justifiable (if not particularly helpful). This was not the case here.

He's saying in a polite and roundabout way that the people involved in a project are incredibly important, and that anyone can't just work on anything. It's probably the nicest way he could've said it, and it might be harsh but can you really disagree? It's not that he thinks he's special, he thinks that the Diablo 1 and 2 team were the best people for the job of Diablo.

It's no different from people pointing out that they prefer the original writers/directors of a film when a series changes hands, just from an inside source.

ElyrionX

And to be clear, I think Jay Wilson was clearly unprofessional here and should have been smarter about what he posts on FB.

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think David Brevik was being "articulate" and "polite" here.

Hero

Where the hell do you get the impression that he thinks the D3 deve team is shit when all he said was that he feels the people that made the game what it is today were important and that things don't always go so well when it switches creative hands. He even said he hated to admit something like that but he's obviously proud of what him and the previous team were capable of.

If you think that warrants going on the biggest social media site and saying fuck that loser is an appropriate or even remotely acceptable response then I think you're going to be alone in that stance.

Instead of posting "fuck that guy", Wilson should just have posted the words "Hellgate London". Because that would be a polite way of saying fuck you Brevik, but no one would have any problems with it because talking shit about people is acceptable as long as it's polite, right?

Well, you can be sensible about your attack, but those words can still hurt. It's easy to stay sensible when dishing out criticism, it's much harder to keep your emotions under control after you read something like that and the words just sunk in.

Yeah, it's maybe immature and all that - but I can see where he's coming from. This kinda stuff can just be very hurtful. Even as professionals who hear honest critique every single day, after you poured your heart into a product like D3 and spent years on your life on it, the last thing you wanna hear is what Brevik said - even if he phrased it nicely.

And? Jay and the other Blizzard staff look like asshats. Suck it up and act like professionals.

r@v3n

his reply would have been spot on if the question was "What do you think about the guy who created D3?"

And to be clear, I think Jay Wilson was clearly unprofessional here and should have been smarter about what he posts on FB.

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think David Brevik was being "articulate" and "polite" here.

That sums it up quite well. Good post.

You do know that David Brevik was one of the guys behind Diablo 1+2, right? You know them? These two are the only fucking reason why Diablo 3 sold so much. And Diablo 3 is on the same shit level as Hellgate London in my book.

Why thank you for making me aware of that fact. I was stating that his last game was a miserable pile of trash. Diablo 3 was nowhere near as good as Diablo 2, but it's not the worst thing to happen to gaming, as much of the hyperbole in the thread has insinuated.

duckroll

Diablo 3 staff are probably under a lot of stress these days, and are just channeling how they feel about themselves and each other onto other people. :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Going by hellgate I doubt he could have made another decent diablo

Perkel

Banned
I posted this in the other thread but thought it worth posting here again.

I only read the quoted parts in the OP of this thread but this part is utterly ridiculous:

He's basically saying that he would have done it differently and that he would have been able to avoid some of the changes the new team made that weren't very well-received.

Then he goes on to basically insinuate that the D3 team failed because they didn't have the kind of talent that David Brevik and his team had. Bluntly put, he said they failed because they weren't talented and all that talent left after Blizzard North guys (ie. David Brevik himself) left. He's basically praising himself to the high heavens and shitting all over the D3 team. I would be totally pissed if I was Jay Wilson.

How hard is it for people to read in between the lines here? The first response to this thread is:

So humble? Are you fucking kidding me?

So on the whole, no, I'm not surprised Jay Wilson responded the way he did. I would probably do the same if I was in his same position. And what does David Brevik have to his name apart from Diablo? Hellgate (by all accounts) was utter shit.

No he is saying in that part that people with experience matter. That he would do it differently like loot or DPS (which he stated right of the bat) because experienced people would know about that. It's not offensive he is humble and he just responded what he had on mind. It's not offensive. People who created Diablo 3 only game is Diablo 3. They should be humble.

What Jay Wilson should do after this interview:

a) " Oh he shares dissatisfaction with rest of d3 community, maybe we should change something? "
b) nothing
c) screw him i think my vision is right and will continue it, goes to sleep.

What Jay Wilson should not do after interview:

a) Post Fuck him on facebook.

mattynunchucks said:
You guys do know that David Brevik was one of the guys behind Hellgate: London, right? That game was a flaming pile compared to Diablo 3.

And you know that he is one of people who created Diablo 1 and 2 ?

MrDenny

Have you seen the video interview?
Think you're trying too hard to "read in between the lines"

Considering that Diablo was partially his brainchild... Yeah I think it's relatively polite. It mustn't be easy to see how others handle something you helped create.

ShinNL

You just read what you want to read. Those quotes don't mean that the D3 dev team was utter shit: he means he's happy that people understand that Blizzard North wasn't just a studio that could be replaced with another Blizzard team, or that anyone can make a Diablo game. It has nothing to do with shitting on D3's team, stop being so paranoid and stop trying to force your twisted opinion onto others.

Belgorim

Instead of posting "fuck that guy", Wilson should just have posted the words "Hellgate London". Because that would be a polite way of saying fuck you Brevik, but no one would have any problems with it because talking shit about people is acceptable as long as it's polite, right?

Pretty much this, as long as you come off as polite to most people you are ok with being arrogant and talking trash :)

He's saying in a polite and roundabout way that the people involved in a project are incredibly important, and that anyone can't just work on anything. It's probably the nicest way he could've said it, and it might be harsh but can you really disagree? It's not that he thinks he's special, he thinks that the Diablo 1 and 2 team were the best people for the job of Diablo.

It's no different from people pointing out that they prefer the original writers/directors of a film when a series changes hands, just from an inside source.

Coming from the directors or writer's mouth, it can still be disrespectful when speaking ill of a whole production team of the new film. You still get into a lot of trouble.

isual

Well, come on, the guys who made D3 had a lot of pressure underneath them to create a d2 game, and it isn't easy to follow in D2's footsteps. But yes, Wilson was unprofessional in his response; but also, they really should be taking this criticism from the guy who made the Diablo franchise into what it is (has been) as constructive criticism.

we all need to know and affirm that diablo 3's success came because of diablo 2

that is what the D3 team needs to remember.

Coming from the directors or writer's mouth, it can still be disrespectful when speaking ill of a whole production team of the new film. You still get into a lot of trouble.

Sure, which is why Breivek was pretty diplomatic about it. Like I said, it was harsh, and there's no real way it wouldn't hurt Wilson's feelings - but it's still a fair and valid thing to say. Wilson's reaction was poor.

ElyrionX

I disagree simply because I think Diablo 3 is an amazing game and is a worthy successor to Diablo 2. I know many people don't share this view and the disappointment with Diablo 3 is certainly palpable on these forums and elsewhere.

David Brevik obviously knows that many people are disappointed with Diablo 3 and so when he says this:

I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was.

He's implying that only now (after the disaster of Diablo 3) are people realizing just how "talented" and "special" he and his team were.

I don't think anyone would deny that the Diablo 2 team is talented. How can anyone doubt that given how incredible that game was and how long it lasted. But why is it that it has only "come to light" now after Diablo 3 was released? Obviously, he's saying that Diablo 3 is shit compared to Diablo 2 and then he says:

I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that , when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.

Here, he is saying that Diablo 3 changed (for the worse) because of the people (him and his team) who left and given the reception that Diablo 3 has had, he's implying that the current team couldn't do it because his team isn't around anymore.

If that's not shitting on the D3 team, then I really don't know what is.

Belgorim

Sure, which is why Breivek was pretty diplomatic about it. Like I said, it was harsh, and there's no real way it wouldn't hurt Wilson's feelings - but it's still a fair and valid thing to say. Wilson's reaction was poor.

If he where diplomatic about it he would have put something in there about not being able to do a better job himself (Like hellgate). That would probably have softened the blow a bit. Now it just sounds a bit spiteful but with a polite tone to the interview.

I disagree simply because I think Diablo 3 is an amazing game and is a worthy successor to Diablo 2. I know many people don't share this view and the disappointment with Diablo 3 is certainly palpable on these forums and elsewhere.

David Brevik obviously knows that many people are disappointed with Diablo 3 and so when he says this:

He's implying that only now (after the disaster of Diablo 3) are people realizing just how "talented" and "special" he and his team were.

I don't think anyone would deny that the Diablo 2 team is talented. How can anyone doubt that given how incredible that game was and how long it lasted. But why is it that it has only "come to light" now after Diablo 3 was released? Obviously, he's saying that Diablo 3 is shit compared to Diablo 2.

Here, he is saying that Diablo 3 changed (for the worse) because of the people (him and his team) who left and given the reception that Diablo 3 has had, he's implying that the current team couldn't do it because his team isn't around anymore.

If that's not shitting on the D3 team, then I really don't know what is.

I think you analysis is correct, but you're projecting venom onto Breivek's statements that simply aren't there. It's not "shitting on". It's harsh criticism that might be a bitter pill for Wilson to take, but Wilson's an adult who should be able to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom