• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Game Director to Diablo 1/2 Project Lead: F**k that loser [Jay apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkel

Banned
I did watch the video interview. Sure, he does come across as polite and articulate. But are you really that naive to take everything that is thrown at you at face value? Just because he came across as polite and articulate, does it not matter that his words contained a subtle undertone of arrogance and ill intent? I only wish all human interactions were so simple and blunt. My life would certainly be a lot easier if it were like that.

What arrogance, what ill ? o_O

I did watch the video interview. Sure, he does come across as polite and articulate. But are you really that naive to take everything that is thrown at you at face value? Just because he came across as polite and articulate, does it not matter that his words contained a subtle undertone of arrogance and ill intent? I only wish all human interactions were so simple and blunt. My life would certainly be a lot easier if it were like that.
So, do you think the words "fuck that loser" contain a subtle undertone of arrogance and ill intent ?

To put it very simply: if someone made a post like Brevik's interview on GAF to criticize another forumer, they'd be fine. If the other poster answered with "fuck that loser", they probably wouldn't be.

Call it hypocrisy or whatever you want, there's way more nuance on one side than the other. No one forced Wilson to make such a stupid comment, no one.

An interview and facebook comment shouldn't really carry the same kind of weight, but it does give a peek into the difference between the two developers. One makes lengths to be even-handed while still being honest in their criticism, while the others shows that their idea of nuance is teenager-esque outbursts and doubling down on antagonism.

JABEE

that brevik interview was a glimpse of what gaming as a genuinely artistic creative medium would look like, the blizzard reaction is a reminder of the petulant incestuous corporate snake pit it has become.
Brevick was working on D3 with Blizzard North before they were shut down. Brevick gave his thoughts on his D3 in the least inflammatory way while still being honest. Diablo was Brevick and North's creation that was taken from them. Wilson hears how everyone views D3 as a step down in quality and thinks that Hellgate's failure and D3's success justifies their direction when in reality D1, D2, and the rest of Blizzard's legacy titles sold the title. Brevick confirming that he agrees with the community only weakens the perception of the value of Wilson and company's positive contributions to the series. Wilson may have won with the higher selling game, but the people that really matter, the hardcore community, still won't recognize his legitimacy. He will always be a stand-in or an imposter. D3 won't be a "true Diablo game" in the eyes of the community, only a Diablo clone.

That is how I view the situation. I really enjoyed Diablo 3, but Diablo 1 and 2 are going to be still remembered as classic, genre-defining games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They obviously care very much about something they have worked so hard on. It's easy to see how emotion can take over, but we have to remember they are simply posting to peers on Facebook. I'm not sure who posted that image, but it was kind of a shitty thing to do.

Also, so D3 isn't D2, it's still not a bad game by any means. There are just some fundamental differences that simply change the dynamic of the game itself.

They were posting on a public social network. People are under no obligation to cover for them posting their immature rantings for the entire world to peruse,

diamount

Banned
I expect Mike to come along now and say Mr Wilson's opnion of Mr Brevik does not represent that of Blizzard Entertainment. Seriously man, rebuke his point in a professional manner. Don't say 'fuck that loser' it just makes you look like an idiot.

ElyrionX

Ok, so say I agreed with your comment that this interview comes across as arrogant, how does this make their response any less childish?

Seriously, people who think that the responses are "childish", how old are you really? Anyone who has spent more than a year or two in the corporate world would not be surprised at the responses. People don't take kindly to criticisms because everyone has an ego. The degree of receptiveness to criticism typically is inversely proportional to your level of corporate seniority. I strongly disagree with this attitude but that's just the way people are and that's just the way the world works.

Second of all, those comments were supposed (presumably) to be private. His response wasn't childish but neither was it unwarranted. The guy shat on him and his team. He was angry so he said "fuck that loser". It was a heat of the moment response. They didn't issue a PR statement with a "Fuck that loser" headline. It was FB. Their greatest mistake was in thinking that the FB comments would remain private.

BigDes

The kind conjured in the mind of a man with a company's image to protect.

I dunno, I quite like the mental image of Brevick sitting in his undersea volcano lair holding a white cat and smiling as he watches a live feed of the D3 forums.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm not going to pretend I haven't reacted that way to criticism in my life before, so I'm also no going to patronize him and tell him how to do his job either. He shouldn't have said it in a public space like that.

I will say though, that I am looking forward to see where this goes.

BigDes

Seriously, people who think that the responses are "childish", how old are you really? Anyone who has spent more than a year or two in the corporate world would not be surprised at the responses. People don't take kindly to criticisms because everyone has an ego. The degree of receptiveness to criticism typically is inversely proportional to your level of corporate seniority. I strongly disagree with this attitude but that's just the way people are and that's just the way the world works.

Second of all, those comments were supposed (presumably) to be private. His response wasn't childish but neither was it unwarranted. The guy shat on him and his team. He was angry so he said "fuck that loser". It was a heat of the moment response. They didn't issue a PR statement with a "Fuck that loser" headline. It was FB. Their greatest mistake was in thinking that the FB comments would remain private.

Yes, responding to that on a public forum where the world can see with the words, "fuck that loser" are childish and just because you are apparently surrounded with other children at your work does not make the response any less so.

Yo we live in 2012. Tell your friend public on facebook "fuck that bitch" (your GF/Wife) and try to persuade her that it's just facebook. It doesn't matter.

Oh definitely, I know. My facebook friends include several coworkers and supervisors, and I would never post something on it that I wouldn't want to say in front of them. My comment was simply more of a, "wish it wasn't like this," sort of thought.

derFeef

I am not sure this is the case.
Plus spouting out the word "loser" implies many things, like arrogance.

Hey, did Jay Wilson work on the original Company of Heroes, or the Opposing Fronts expansion? Cause the expansion pretty much ruined the game according to a lot of players (including me) so it would be pretty funny if that was Jay's contribution.

On the other hand, if Jay designed vanilla CoH, then I can't join in on the hate train on this man.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If these guys are that upset about a professional in the industry with years of experience delivering a subtle, polite, and thoughtful but honest opinion about Diablo 3...

... then the D3 team must spend their days bouncing off the walls of Blizzard's rubber room at the commentary of the actual players of their game.

Twinduct

Oh come on, let's not read too much into this. He got pissed and that was probably his initial reaction, shit happens. I don't think this tells us anything about his character, other than that he's just human like all of us.

I would assume most of us have had moments where we didn't take comments or criticism particularly well and just had to let off some steam.

Ofcourse, although using facebook was not the wisest of platforms.

Having said that, pro-tip for Jay, talk about these issues when you go out boozing. Worked all this time.

maladroit

Oh come on, let's not read too much into this. He got pissed and that was probably his initial reaction, shit happens. I don't think this tells us anything about his character, other than that he's just human like all of us.

I would assume most of us have had moments where we didn't take comments or criticism particularly well and just had to let off some steam.

the only people reading into anything are the ones trying to analyze the civil responses given to loaded questions in the interview. you can't exactly delve into the deeper meaning behind "fuck that loser." it is what it is.

Smart but you've got the wrong guy. I actually think Diablo 3 is a great game. Certainly my GOTY (thus far).

Ohwow.jpg

Perkel

Banned
I should start company that teach CEOs and other people who are face of company about social networking and how you should not behave posting on internet.

I would earn millions and fund Chris Avalone game.

BigDes

Hey, did Jay Wilson work on the original Company of Heroes, or the Opposing Fronts expansion? Cause the expansion pretty much ruined the game according to a lot of players (including me) so it would be pretty funny if that was Jay's contribution.

On the other hand, if Jay designed vanilla CoH, then I can't join in on the hate train on this man.

Vanilla.

Where he was senior designer

BigDes

I should start company that teach CEOs and other people who are face of company about social networking and how you should not behave posting on internet.

I am actually genuinely surprised that these guys have not had some sort of mandatory training about this already

Though you can bet they will now

derFeef

I am just reacting to ElyrionX. "Fuck that loser" is waht it is, it has more undertone than an answer to an interview. There is no defending of this, it's ridiculous.

Large companies usually have policies about that.

Dysun

What the Diablo 1/2 lead guy said wasn't all that bad or instigating. These guys must already feel they are on the hot seat

ElyrionX

I expect Mike to come along now and say Mr Wilson's opnion of Mr Brevik does not represent that of Blizzard Entertainment. Seriously man, rebuke his point in a professional manner. Don't say 'fuck that loser' it just makes you look like an idiot.

David Brevik basically said he would have done things differently (without elaborating how) and talked about a D3 flaw (loot system) that everyone and their dogs already know about. He then proceeded to shit all over the current D3 team while calling himself and the team that left "special", "talented" and "unique".

Jay Wilson has just released a game that broke all sorts of sales record but eventually resulted in a giant backlash against them. He is working on a major patch to be released next week that will hopefully fix some of the biggest issues with the game while thinking about the patches beyond that as well as the planned expansions. I'm sure his priority upon seeing the interview was to type up a 1000-word "professional" response to a guy who has nothing but vitriol for him and his team.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If these guys are that upset about a professional in the industry with years of experience delivering a subtle, polite, and thoughtful but honest opinion about Diablo 3...

... then the D3 team must spend their days bouncing off the walls of Blizzard's rubber room at the commentary of the actual players of their game.

Thats what I'm wondering. Maybe because this is one of the brains behind the games 3 constantly get on the wrong side of the comparison to it acted like the straw that broke the camels back. Something just snapped here no matter how polite and reserved Brevik was.

Blueblur1

The original Brevik quote and this reaction really sum up the difference between the original Diablos and 3.

One is nuanced and carefully constructed. The other was shat out.

Yeah, the quality of those people's response reflect the quality of their work. What a total overreaction on their part. What a set of asses.

Svafnir

So uh.... When does the good news start hitting? Blizzard has been having a rough go from diablo 3 backlash and then battle.net hacked and now this !? I wonder how panderia will received.

Lancehead

David Brevik basically said he would have done things differently (without elaborating how) and talked about a D3 flaw (loot system) that everyone and their dogs already know about. He then proceeded to shit all over the current D3 team while calling himself and the team that left "special", "talented" and "unique".

Jay Wilson has just released a game that broke all sorts of sales record but eventually resulted in a giant backlash against them. He is working on a major patch to be released next week that will hopefully fix some of the biggest issues with the game while thinking about the patches beyond that as well as the planned expansions. I'm sure his priority upon seeing the interview was to type up a 1000-word "professional" response to a guy who has nothing but vitriol for him and his team.

So he posts "fuck that loser". What a trade off.

derFeef

Jesus christ.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
You get that from their Facebook comments?

Wow, I hope you can live up those standards yourself, and never in your life overreact to anything. :)
it's like that guy. you know the guy, you were friends growing up and he was always kinda douchey and never took criticism well, but being part of an open, ball busting group of friends always kept him in check.

then he started making bank, he started wearing suits 24/7 and made new friends based of his status rather than his personality. he still hung out sometimes, but grew increasingly thin skinned and passive aggressive whenever the mutually distributed ball breaking spotlight moved onto him. he didn't like the way you undermined his lofty ideas of himself; infact, you started to sound more and more like all those liberal douchebags him and his work buddies so joyously despised.

all it took was one last badly received burn over a bbq, and he permanently retreated into his newly made bed of sycophants and social climbers. it was better there.

BigDes

As a person who just released a game that broke all sorts of sales records and is currently thinking about upcoming patches and expansions his 'priority' should have been to keep his mouth shut.

Instead he and his team threw their toys out of the pram and are justifiably being called idiots because of it.

JABEE

And its not just Jay.

It seemed like everyone was ganging up on the "loser" that didn't get to put make his version of Diablo 3. "We're so cool that we took his franchise and made it the fastest selling PC game of all time." That 'loser" helped create the games that the Diablo 3 team used as a template and a source of enormous marketing value. The moment the person that helped create their success steps in and confirms that those who bought the game on the merits of the games Blizzard North developed D1 and D2, they have to think about how much their success was produced by their own hard work as opposed to the creative inspiration of those they replaced. They saw North as a team that they were better than and the sales confirmed it. A "loser" like Brevik agreeing with the fans, devalues their contribution to the success of the game, because the majority of the people who bought it off of the quality of D1 and D2 were disappointed. Brevik and North were supposed to be the little people who were replaced. "Now they have the nerve to poke us with a stick while we are on top."

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You get that from their Facebook comments?

Wow, I hope you can live up those standards yourself, and never in your life overreact to anything. :)

I'm not even defending the guy's comments, but that's the vibe this thread gives me. It's like nobody here has ever done this before.

Or he could have avoided posting 3 words if he's so busy?

It's really amazing how you're defending this just because you like the game.

markot

Banned

lol? Vitriol? Sure we were reading teh same articles?

BigDes

So uh.... When does the good news start hitting? Blizzard has been having a rough go from diablo 3 backlash and then battle.net hacked and now this !? I wonder how panderia will received.

Sadly Panderia is doomed because they are doing something which fans have been clamouring for since the original Pandaren cameo in WCIII (or earlier not sure) by allowing people to play as Pandaras/Pandarens/Panda dudes. This has been seen as a gross insult by the fans.

markot

Banned
Sadly Panderia is doomed because they are doing something which fans have been clamouring for since the original Pandaren cameo in WCIII (or earlier not sure) by allowing people to play as Pandaras/Pandarens/Panda dudes. This has been seen as a gross insult by the fans.

No, its doomed because of Cata and what blizz has been doing recently. (Nothing)

Anyway, this thread just makes me think of

583692-tumblr_lahvijdgt91qdoghio1_500.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom