• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Game Director to Diablo 1/2 Project Lead: F**k that loser [Jay apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

David Brevik basically said he would have done things differently (without elaborating how) and talked about a D3 flaw (loot system) that everyone and their dogs already know about. He then proceeded to shit all over the current D3 team while calling himself and the team that left "special", "talented" and "unique".

Jay Wilson has just released a game that broke all sorts of sales record but eventually resulted in a giant backlash against them. He is working on a major patch to be released next week that will hopefully fix some of the biggest issues with the game while thinking about the patches beyond that as well as the planned expansions. I'm sure his priority upon seeing the interview was to type up a 1000-word "professional" response to a guy who has nothing but vitriol for him and his team.

Not vitriol. The truth. The truth appears to be something Blizzard South would rather ignore. It's better to view the closed-down North as a "loser" studio, because then they could say the quality of D3 justified the 10 million copies of the game that sold on the backs of North's contributions to the series.

derFeef

Sadly Panderia is doomed because they are doing something which fans have been clamouring for since the original Pandaren cameo in WCIII (or earlier not sure) by allowing people to play as Pandaras/Pandarens/Panda dudes. This has been seen as a gross insult by the fans.

It will sell very well. We know how it goes.

ElyrionX

Or he could have avoided posting 3 words if he's so busy?

It's really amazing how you're defending this just because you like the game.

So you're insinuating that just because I like the game, it means that my objectivity in this thread is questioned?

Given that there are many more people in this thread who don't like the game, does it mean they're only attacking Jay Wilson and defending Brevik because they don't like the game? So you would question their objectivity as well?

Corto

It's always a spectacle to watch the autophagous nature of this industry. People are not satisfied with burning bridges, they raze the whole city to the ground.

Perkel

Banned
David Brevik basically said he would have done things differently (without elaborating how) and talked about a D3 flaw (loot system) that everyone and their dogs already know about. He then proceeded to shit all over the current D3 team while calling himself and the team that left "special", "talented" and "unique".

Hhahahaha.

Jay Wilson has just released a game that broke all sorts of sales record but eventually resulted in a giant backlash against them. He is working on a major patch to be released next week that will hopefully fix some of the biggest issues with the game while thinking about the patches beyond that as well as the planned expansions. I'm sure his priority upon seeing the interview was to type up a 1000-word "professional" response to a guy who has nothing but vitriol for him and his team.

We have meltdown here.

I thought the thread title was going to be a little colorful paraphrasing, but nope. That's actually what the guy said. So professional, :lol.

Definity

Ouch. Such a harsh comment. He should have known better than to post that. I'm a fan of the game even with the issues but you just don't post that on social media!

Can't wait to see what kind of folks this brought out on the D3 forums.

BigDes

Ouch. Such a harsh comment. He should have known better than to post that. I'm a fan of the game even with the issues but you just don't post that on social media!

Can't wait to see what kind of folks this brought out on the D3 forums.

They are a glory to behold

MrDenny

The interviewer was the one asking him those questions.
If you were asked about the failed loot system whats wrong with saying you would handle it differently.
I honestly believe your reading into it too much.
Your are sounding like a conspiracy theorist who finds meaning in something out of nothing.

D3 sold as fast as it did because of the legacy Brevik and the rest of the blizzard North team left behind with Diablo and Diablo II/LoD. Any group of developers could have made whatever the fuck they wanted and slapped Diablo III and Blizzard on the box and watch their game sell millions after the decade long buildup. Jay owes all of Diablo III's success to the Blizzard North team and instead tells the head of the team to fuck off.

Also let it sink in that if Brevik and the Blizzard North team weren't as talented at what they did and by making Diablo II a smashing success, Blizzard very well would have brushed Diablo aside forever and Diablo III wouldn't have even been considered and your's truly wouldn't have a job at Blizzard right now.

duckroll

So you're insinuating that just because I like the game, it means that my objectivity in this thread is questioned?

Given that there are many more people in this thread who don't like the game, does it mean they're only attacking Jay Wilson and defending Brevik because they don't like the game? So you would question their objectivity as well?

I think you're the only one bringing Brevik into this. Most people are just focused on Jay's totally inept response to the interview. :)

ElyrionX

Not vitriol. The truth. The truth appears to be something Blizzard South would rather ignore. It's better to view the closed-down North as a "loser" studio, because then they could say the quality of D3 justified the 10 million copies of the game that sold on the backs of North's contributions to the series.

I agree with this. David Brevik spoke the truth in many ways. I disagree that he would have been able to craft a better game but since many people don't share my opinions on Diablo 3's quality, I'll concede the point.

Unfortunately, people don't like the truth when it's ugly and personal. You think Jay Wilson (or 95% of the people out there who are put in that kind of situation) are going to respond graciously to David Brevik's comments?

I don't understand how his comments lead to such a backlash. Like, I could see them saying "fuck that guy" when they're at work or something, but to have the lack of common sense and composure to post it on the internet for the world to see? No class at all.

Biting back because the truth hurts.

"Fastest selling PC game", such a silly argument to use when it comes to this franchise...

ElyrionX

Hhahahaha.

We have meltdown here.

You do realize that despite your repeated attempts to engage me in this thread, I have ignored you completely while responding quickly to many other posters in here, right?

Hint: There is a reason for that.

diamount

Banned

Dude, what? That entire paragraph sounds like it was typed up by someone employed by Blizzard in damage control mode. The least he could've done is explain why David is wrong and explain his decisions for some of the controversial actions, the only 'vitriol' is by those Facebook comments and obviously Jay's 'fuck that loser'. Or you are Jay trying to justify acting like a dick.

mxgt

Banned
Brevik was behind 2 of the greatest PC games ever
Wilson was behind Diablo 3

I think we all know who the real loser is here.

derFeef

I agree with this. David Brevik spoke the truth in many ways. I disagree that he would have been able to craft a better game but since many people don't share my opinions on Diablo 3's quality, I'll concede the point.

Unfortunately, people don't like the truth when it's ugly and personal. You think Jay Wilson (or 95% of the people out there who are put in that kind of situation) are going to respond graciously to David Brevik's comments?

He was not asked to respond, and I would think a smart guy would not respond like that.

TIL that Blizzard bought Condor, Inc. founded by David Brevik and the Schaefer's to release Diablo a few months later. So they were like the original Valve picking awesome talent to make games in comfortable spaces!

I had no idea that Jay Wilson was the Lead Designer/Concept behind Blood 2 :/

Nekofrog

Banned
sometimes i wonder if the current blizzard diablo 3 team (wilson included) realize that the only reason diablo 3 sold as much as it did, was because of the fucking prestige of diablo 2.

they're standing on the shoulders of giants, and think that they're taller.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
D3 sold as fast as it did because of the legacy Brevik and the rest of the blizzard North team left behind with Diablo and Diablo II/LoD. Any group of developers could have made whatever the fuck they wanted and slapped Diablo III and Blizzard on the box and watch their game sell millions after the decade long buildup. Jay owes all of Diablo III's success to the Blizzard North team and instead tells the head of the team to fuck off.
well, they can't be given all the credit.

unless you'd be so insolent as to argue that these scores represent diablo 2's legacy much more than they do diablo 3.

If I'm being completely honest, I'm less interested in haranguing on developers who spent a lot of their time making a bad game, and much more interested in attacking the delusional sycophants of said game, those that make it harder to discuss real criticisms and ways to fix problems.

Corto

Jay was behind another one of the greatest PC games ever. Company of Heroes. Their dicks are both huge.

duckroll

sometimes i wonder if the current blizzard diablo 3 team (wilson included) realize that the only reason diablo 3 sold as much as it did, was because of the fucking prestige of diablo 2.

they're standing on the shoulders of giants, and think that they're taller.

I'm pretty sure they all realize that. There have been many interviews with the team even prior to the release of the game. I don't think they really think they're taller either. I think they're also very frustrated that they unable to get the same level of support from the community that Diablo 2 did, and they're trying hard to find a solution.

Unfortunately that doesn't change any of the facts. They made a game lots of people find underwhelming, and by the end game plain unplayable. It does not have the same appeal that Diablo 2, and there is none of the magic that the original games had. Sucks for them. It's even funnier when they're venting on Facebook because we can all see it in public and they look even dumber.

Brevik made it neither ugly nor personal. You are the one insinuating it as such. Brevik was open in his criticism while still being professional about it, particularly when the question mentioned Jay Wilson.

Perkel

Banned

You don't realize that he didn't say that. He just said that because people are different game is different too. People who left BNorth had much more experience and there probably would not be problems like loot system. But it doesn't mean that game overall would be better.

If you are face of company then yes. Twice if you are adult.

Belgorim

You are forgetting some games on both sides here :p

Edit: Not on topic realy, but I still have not forgiven d2 for butchering the awesomeness that was d1, so I'm not even mad about d3, I think it is a great game for what it is, still play it a bit.

diamount

Banned
Jay was behind another one of the greatest PC games ever. Company of Heroes. Their dicks are both huge.

One's an RTS and the other is an RPG, so gameplay mechanics aren't really transferable. Not saying I didn't enjoy the hell out o it though.

ElyrionX

If I'm being completely honest, I'm less interested in haranguing on developers who spent a lot of their time making a bad game, and much more interested in attacking the delusional sycophants of said game, those that make it harder to discuss real criticisms and ways to fix problems.

That sounds fantastic and very noble. So why are you in this thread, again?

marrec

Banned
That Hellgate: London jab is pretty good.

Facebook isn't Private unless you take the extra steps to make it so. Wilson is probably wishing someone would have taken those extra steps right about now.

Perkel

Banned
You do realize that despite your repeated attempts to engage me in this thread, I have ignored you completely while responding quickly to many other posters in here, right?

Hint: There is a reason for that.

Reason: Probably i'm making too much sense.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
josh mosqueira, lead designer of CoH, worked on diablo 3 too.

together with the increasingly ill conceived coh expansions and the comparatively clumsy DoW 2 series, it just further demonstrates brevik's point regarding about being unable to replicate the creative efforts of a certain group of people at a certain place in time.

Thoraxes

I know when I argue with other sports fans of teams I hate, I only use polite words, take them out to dinner and a nice movie, and them have them back before curfew so that their parents think highly of me. I can't believe Jay Wilson said this about a competitor though.

NZNova

He (being Mr. Wilson) deserves to be fired, IMO, or at least severely reprimanded. That kind of comment on a public forum like Facebook is very unbecoming of someone in his position. Especially given the fact that Brevik's comments were diplomatic given the rather loaded questions.

duckroll

I know when I argue with other sports fans of teams I hate, I only use polite words, take them out to dinner and a nice movie, and them have them back before curfew so that their parents think highly of me. I can't believe Jay Wilson said this about a competitor though.

Xln0l.jpg

marrec

Banned

I could care less if Wilson says 'Fuck that loser!' and I imagine most reasonable people don't care either. I've said much worse about my co-workers and bosses going through the years and hardly remember a reason why. The problem is when you do it publicly over Facebook. Dude should have known better.

He deserves to be fired, IMO, or at least severely reprimanded. That kind of comment on a public forum like Facebook is very unbecoming of someone in his position.

No one deserves to be fired for that kind of thing, don't be silly.

I could care less if Brevik says 'Fuck that loser!' and I imagine most reasonable people don't care either. I've said much worse about my co-workers and bosses going through the years and hardly remember a reason why. The problem is when you do it publicly over Facebook. Dude should have known better.

Brevik didn't say that, Jay Wilson did.

NZNova

No one deserves to be fired for that kind of thing, don't be silly.

That's the thing about opinions, chief. You got yours, I got mine. Firing is extremely unlikely I accept, but this will be embarrassing for Blizzard and if he isn't reprimanded in some way I'll be very surprised.

Nobody interpret this as a defence of Diablo 3, as I think it is a deeply problematic game, but I would find it very hard to work on a community-driven game with a huge culture around it while attempting to achieve anything like professional finish on the project. While Diablo 2 is a vastly superior game in terms of balance, feel, flow, etc - the one tiny caveat I think about is that games culture these days is genuinely more awful than it ever has been. I mean, it scares loads and loads of avid gamers away, like me - and I *like* posting on boards. I can't engage online about Diablo 3, ARMA, etc because all the boards and 'consensus' conversations about what's wrong are consistently riven with boosterism, infights, pandered egos, etc. I would find it especially hard to cut through that noise to get to the feedback about design that existed in the community. Of course, that said, it's Blizzard, they have the talent and resources to do everything at the highest level. There's no excuse.

I'm really sorry if I gave out the impression I was insinuating anything. I'm flat out saying you're making a point of defending this guy because you like the game. Brevik's interview rubbed you the wrong way because you like the game, which is why you're going to incredible lengths to explain how "fuck this loser" was justified.

Conversely, people who disliked the game are hardly hiding their glee at this misstep.

But putting the game aside, that comment was absolutely unprofessional and the guy should know better. He has zero excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom