• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Open Beta starting this weekend

Number45

Managed to get in after loads of tries. Played to level 7 (I think) with the barbarian - definitely think this is where I'm going to be starting. Some of the later skills and rules look interesting as well.

Is it possible to build something akin to a tank in this game, or does that term not really apply here?

Finally got in to play a bit, having a lot of fun so far. The Witch Doctor is fucking wicked. If you get enemies tangled up in the zombie arms on the ground, they can't get away from the spiders. That's got pvp written all over it.

HenryHSH

Are the servers causing the lag? Both my friend and I use high end machines, and we get lag spikes when monsters spawn or when we load a new area. It's weird.

UI is fantastic, very beautiful and responsive. Music is also amazing.

Sound effects for spells are too loud. Had to turn them down.

Still having performance and framerate issues. I may just have to bite the bullet and get an actual mid-range gaming desktop =/

Is this the whole first act? Beta was kind of short.
No, about 1/3rd of it according to Blizzard.

Just played this for an hour straight, this is Diablo. Only thing that pisses me off is getting disconnected due to server issues so I have to start an area again for the third time. But besides that is good. This is the first time ever I'm buying a PC game launch day.

Burger

Played for an hour, loved it. Amazing graphics, plays well on my Macbook Pro. Can't wait for final game...

Card Boy

Banned
Played Monk an hour. Wasn't as good as i expected to be honest, it felt like Dungeon Siege 3 with some better stuff. I don't have a problem with the artstyle but some of those textures are ugly as sin, really low polly.

I will still get it though, even if its for the Arena mode. Co-op mode is very well done and you can join people on the same quest as you.

Well, overall they still have it. Everything flows together nicely, the combat skills, the death animations, the environmental physics, the loot explosions, the health globes are a massive improvement on potions, and the game plays well.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm in! Playing as the barbarian I think (the first choice) enjoying myself!

going to have a play through as all the classes as i'm still unsure how I want to play when the game comes out

Torraz

Three questions:

1.) The layout of the cathedral seems the same between my witch doctor and my wizard. Coincidence? If not, will these instances be randomized in the final version?

2.) After clicking on "public game" I was immediately put into a game with other people, but was not able to select one. Because of this I was put into a game with people with levels above the one of my new character which made me underpowered and a bit useless, will we be able to choose games in the final version?

3.) Any ways to quickly change between skills? For instance binding frost nova to F1 and Diamond skin to F2?

TheYanger

Three questions:

1.) The layout of the cathedral seems the same between my witch doctor and my wizard. Coincidence? If not, will these instances be randomized in the final version?

2.) After clicking on "public game" I was immediately put into a game with other people, but was not able to select one. Because of this I was put into a game with people with levels above the one of my new character which made me underpowered and a bit useless, will we be able to choose games in the final version?

3.) Any ways to quickly change between skills? For instance binding frost nova to F1 and Diamond skin to F2?

1.) There are some areas with set layouts just like D2, off the top of my head the only one I can think of is the last floor before the skeleton king but I could be missing some. in general they're random but just like previous games you learn to recognize patterns in the generation. IE: sets of room layouts, rooms that can/cannot contain exits, etc.

2) You can pick games afaik.

3) you have 6 skill slots once you've unlocked them all. no need to quick swap beyond that, and you're intended to choose your 6, ala guild wars. You can always swap on the skill screen but it gives a short cooldown to prevent abuse.

~Kinggi~

Banned
As im running this blizzard updater my upload network use is very very high. What type of spyware shit they got going on here?

Torraz

1.) There are some areas with set layouts just like D2, off the top of my head the only one I can think of is the last floor before the skeleton king but I could be missing some. in general they're random but just like previous games you learn to recognize patterns in the generation. IE: sets of room layouts, rooms that can/cannot contain exits, etc.

2) You can pick games afaik.

3) you have 6 skill slots once you've unlocked them all. no need to quick swap beyond that, and you're intended to choose your 6, ala guild wars. You can always swap on the skill screen but it gives a short cooldown to prevent abuse.

Thanks.

Freki

Blizzard updater works like a torrent afaik.

It not only works like a torrent - it is one! Blizzard downloaders are just torrent clients with a embedded torrent in them.
Some ppl extract them and use their own clients (where you can adjust upload ratio and other stuff)

Atomski

I dont think you do understand at all. So your view is that a forced level cap, and denial of access to mid and end game means its not a beta, but a demo?

Have you ever beta tested anything ever? And Im not just talking about Blizzard titles, Im talking PERIOD. Level caps, incomplete char skillsets, Blocked off areas and limited content are literally commonplace in beta. You dont know what you are talking about.

You seem a bit upset.. Yes I have been in plenty of betas and I know testing late game stuff is far more important than early game. Its were balance problems take their tole and people get frustrated.

Plenty of betas eventually get to that content.. this beta however never did. Which I find worry some. The fact we wont even get PVP at release is a pretty clear sign that stuff is just not done and we will be "beta testing" it after release.

REV 09

played a few hours....i don't think this style of game is for me. i didn't care for Torchlight. I do find this better due to it having somewhat of a story, but the mechanics bore me. I couldn't care less for Loot either. I'm most interested in the story, but i don't think it's strong enough to keep my attention. May buy it cheap....like Blizzard games ever go on sale.

Stitch

Gold Member
It not only works like a torrent - it is one! Blizzard downloaders are just torrent clients with a embedded torrent in them.
Some ppl extract them and use their own clients (where you can adjust upload ratio and other stuff)

or you could just switch peer to peer off in the downloader options

Owensboro

So... I don't know why this amazes me but... I got in and this thing just reminds me of Diablo 2 so much. I.... didn't expect this... THIS IS AWESOME.

I fully expect to lose around a month of my life to this game. Curse you Blizzard!

Salaadin

I got the installer from battle.net but clicking on it gets me the "updating setup files" message and then nothing. It just stops, crashes, no errors....like nothing ever happened.

Diablo 3 forums are down now so Im asking here.

Suairyu

Banned
THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZING

Oh god. I don't ever pre-order games - I usually wait until they hit £10 or less - but I want to order this one right fucking now.

Observations:
- I really love the expanded storytelling, and I love even more that it's all avoidable if you don't want it. Will make replaying a gem.
- All the Diablo I references are amazing and I love the lore expansion for key characters.
- Anyone who said this doesn't look like Diablo is tripping. I'm playing Diablo I right now (or was until this open beta) and the aesthetic of this game, while a bit on the brighter side, fits in with the look Diablo I established.
- It's a damn cliché, but this game really does look gorgeous in motion.

Questions:
- I beat the Skeleton King as Demon Hunter but only got to Level 10. As far as I could tell, I had fully explored every map and killed every last monster, yet apparently I missed an event and had three more levels to go before I reached the cap.
- - Where is the second event? I got the soul jar one, but the other I never saw.
- - How the hell am I meant to reach level 13 if killing everything only takes me to level 10??
- Are these achievements carrying over to the main game?
- I'm (obviously) using the US client, but when I play the main game it'll be the EU one. Are the achievements region-locked?
- What should I play next? I was thinking Monk as a direct contrast to the long range of the Demon Hunter.

The M.O.B

Playing a demon hunter, so far not much impact from weapons. I mean my impaler skill should send enemies flying backwards and stuff but instead they just explode or slump to the ground.

Suairyu

Banned
Playing a demon hunter, so far not much impact from weapons. I mean my impaler skill should send enemies flying backwards and stuff but instead they just explode or slump to the ground.
Level up and thus raise your dexterity and strength. Skills start having more of an effect the more powerful you get. I stuck with the rapid fire skill myself. That was fun.

Pretty fun. I like.

Played up to 6 or 7; whenever you get the second secondary skill. Played with my friend and we didn't really encounter any lag. The popups are a little too big when I just want to scroll over my inventory fast. If it was more like WoW I would like it better. It just seemed a little cluttered looking at everything.

ksinghsf

Are people having trouble downloading the beta? Installer keeps giving me a Error:unable to stream, check internet connection message... Any help?

witness

Ok fully downloaded, but it wont let me log in on my battle.net account, says my account does not have a Diablo 3 license. WTF?

deduce

Created a Demon Hunter, played through the demo. Created a Witch Doctor, played through the demo. I love this game. I got a Gold Wand on my last playthrough so I think I'll be trying the Wizard next.

It's too bad the game is capped at 4 players online, wasn't Diablo 2 capped at 8?

Insaniac

finally able to log on, been playing for about an hour and a half. Like it so far, feels diablo-y but i'm still getting used to the new skill layout (playing wizard)

Top Bottom