• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Open Beta starting this weekend

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So what is energy, then? Just the maximum amount of mana? So just increase that ln a per-need basis?

Yeah, Energy is pretty much just mana. Virtually every moden build ignores it due to just not needing it with appropriate gear, but since you can respec now it isn't the end of the world to pump it early if you find yourself needing to chug blue pots all the time.

Fugu

What patch version of the game are you playing?

Lol, and people wonder why Blizzard changed the stat system for Diablo 3.
This is a silly argument. Blizzard could have made energy more substantial and/or increased the bonuses given by strength and dexterity if they wanted to make stats a more difficult choice.

Suairyu

Banned
What patch version of the game are you playing?
Latest, I presume. The game (and expansion) is fresh downloaded off battle.net today.

Lol, and people wonder why Blizzard changed the stat system for Diablo 3.
Eh? Stats aren't difficult, you just have to initially work out their relationships to how your character performs. If I had more time before Diablo III, I wouldn't be asking. Instead, I'd just experiment.

Customizable base line stats simply never have worked very well in a diablo type game and likely never will. They introduce to many balance issues one way or the other and are better left to the wayside the way they have been.

The entire idea of these kinds of games is loot and increasing your stats through said loot, changing your base stats is entirely pointless and unneeded. They are better off putting the balance effort and development time towards other things.

Fugu

Customizable base line stats simply never have worked very well in a diablo type game and likely never will. They introduce to many balance issues one way or the other and are better left to the wayside the way they have been.

The entire idea of these kinds of games is loot and increasing your stats through said loot, changing your base stats is entirely pointless and unneeded. They are better off putting the balance effort and development time towards other things.
Stats worked fine before the expansion because mana wasn't a bottomless pit then and the weapon damage bonus from strength and dexterity wasn't meaningless. This argument isn't accurate to the history of Diablo 2 and ignores the fact that selectable stats have worked in other action RPGs.

Suairyu, the version you get from the battle.net downloader isn't updated all the way; if you connect to battle.net you'll get the newest patch version.

EDIT: Come to think of it, stats were only broken in the original Diablo because you could dupe elixirs.

hlhbk

So While I have been a gamer since 85, and a PC gamer since 93 I have never played the Diablo games. Can anyone tell me what was so great about them? Did they have a great storyline?

Alx

So While I have been a gamer since 85, and a PC gamer since 93 I have never played the Diablo games. Can anyone tell me what was so great about them? Did they have a great storyline?

Not really, it's all about looting and slaughtering hordes of monsters.

chiablo

It's all about the loot. It's a pretty mindless clickfest, but it's all worthwhile when you see an orange item drop.

Lothars

I really enjoy the storyline but the main thing is the addictive gameplay and loot you can get.

I've beening play Diablo and Diablo 2 for 15 years and they are some of the most addicting games around.

Stats worked fine before the expansion because mana wasn't a bottomless pit then and the weapon damage bonus from strength and dexterity wasn't meaningless. This argument isn't accurate to the history of Diablo 2 and ignores the fact that selectable stats have worked in other action RPGs.

Suairyu, the version you get from the battle.net downloader isn't updated all the way; if you connect to battle.net you'll get the newest patch version.

EDIT: Come to think of it, stats were only broken in the original Diablo because you could dupe elixirs.

At no point during diablo 2s life span were the stat choices ever meaningful. Heavy str builds were always not as good as vit builds and energy was always at the very least the worst stat by far even at d2 launch.

I can't think of a single loot driven game like diablo that has ever had customizable baseline stats that made me feel it was better for having it. They have all been superfluous at best and could have been handled just fine with items.

At worst the choices are completely broken like in diablo 2 and the game would have been better off without them.

Suairyu

Banned
Story? Perhaps not... but the background lore and atmosphere certainly creates an immersive experience. It might be more accurate to say it has fantastic flavour.

Fugu

At no point during diablo 2s life span were the stat choices ever meaningful. Heavy str builds were always not as good as vit builds and energy was always at the very least the worst stat by far even at d2 launch.

I can't think of a single loot driven game like diablo that has ever had customizable baseline stats that made me feel it was better for having it. They have all been superfluous at best and could have been handled just fine with items.

At worst the choices are completely broken like in diablo 2 and the game would have been better off without them.
When WW cost 25 mana and barbs on base energy would get <200 mana with gear at level 70, energy was important. Mana pots haven't always been buyable from vendors. High strength was both harder to get and more necessary due to the lower total stat pool (less levels are obtainable without extreme grinding) and the increased parity between weapon damage and actual damage. In fact, the least useful stat in Diablo 2 (1.00) was dexterity and that's because bows weren't very good and lightning fury crashed the game.

Go play MedianXL mod for Diablo 2, extensively read the forum for builds, then come back and we'll talk.

The problem is that they gotta balance them right and offer a ton of variety in the skills, items and builds to support the viability of different skill and stat builds.

In fact, I wanna go further with this. I just jumped onto the MedianXL builds forum and picked a few threads at random.

I found one that was a full dexterity javazon build, a full strength build for a crossbow necro, and a full energy build for a poison sorceress. We got a full energy summoner necro, a strength/vitality shapeshifter druid, and a claw tornado oskill barbarian with a split between strength for damage, dexterity for attack rating and vitality for health.

The point is that in a complex, well made game that is about the gameplay and strategy of building characters with a lot of complex skills and systems, you can create real variety and viability to this kind of stuff.

Lothars

The point is that in a complex, well made game that is about the gameplay and strategy of building characters with a lot of complex skills and systems, you can create real variety and viability to this kind of stuff.
I agree but who's not to say the system they have now that doesn't have where you can pick your own stats but just skills can't make just as a complex system. I don't care either way regarding picking stats or not but I am more than content with how Diablo 3 seems to handle it.

I am looking forward to the higher levels and difficulties of D3.

And I really hope they just let me distribute my own stats. You don't always get what you want.
I can see where your coming from but they don't and probably will never, Is it a bad thing? I doubt it, is it preferable to be able to pick your own stats? I don't think so either but I am interested to dive into the game and see if it makes any difference.

elfinke

I really hope this stat no stats discussion dies when people hit 60.

God yes. The decision by Blizz is brilliant in design and execution, which I'm sure will be borne out by the time everyone has completed normal and are level ~30.

http://www.d3sanc.com/news/blue-posts-the-customizability-story-wasd-movement-waypoints-more/

http://www.d3sanc.com/blue-tracker/3197-diablo-iii--the-customizability-story/

Some great stuff there, esppecially the last post of the second link.

As I said in the other thread (or was it this one), Gems have taken over stat growths. Look up the max amount of sockets you can have on gear and then times that by the attribute amount the highest gem gives you.

This above system allows for more customization of points then the old stat system. Want to make a Wizard who can dodge like a boss? All Dex Gems. Need your barbarian to stop getting raped by Diablo's fire? All Int gems. And whatever combination in-between.

The game isn't even out yet, play for a month. Get to 60 and give Inferno a serious go with these new systems before you start complaining.

TheYanger

When WW cost 25 mana and barbs on base energy would get <200 mana with gear at level 70, energy was important. Mana pots haven't always been buyable from vendors. High strength was both harder to get and more necessary due to the lower total stat pool (less levels are obtainable without extreme grinding) and the increased parity between weapon damage and actual damage. In fact, the least useful stat in Diablo 2 (1.00) was dexterity and that's because bows weren't very good and lightning fury crashed the game.

In 1.0 leech didn't suck and you still didn't need energy. a WW barb could just sit there with a pike or whatever (lances didn't drop) and never die or lose any mana at all. I played my barb the most pre-lod and you NEVER needed any energy, on any character I ever created.

Teknoman

Story? Perhaps not... but the background lore and atmosphere certainly creates an immersive experience. It might be more accurate to say it has fantastic flavour.

Agreed. The story isnt really something that is all that amazing or original, but its the way they put everything together.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So blizz is saying they havent shown that much of the game, which is why there is some bad feedback. Im interested to see how much they havent shown.

Teknoman

So blizz is saying they havent shown that much of the game, which is why there is some bad feedback. Im interested to see how much they havent shown.

Should be a ton seeing how we've only seen a small piece of Act 1, which seems to be a slight reintro of Diablo 1's history, and even then that has seen constant adjustments/additions.

Go play MedianXL mod for Diablo 2, extensively read the forum for builds, then come back and we'll talk.

The problem is that they gotta balance them right and offer a ton of variety in the skills, items and builds to support the viability of different skill and stat builds.

In fact, I wanna go further with this. I just jumped onto the MedianXL builds forum and picked a few threads at random.

I found one that was a full dexterity javazon build, a full strength build for a crossbow necro, and a full energy build for a poison sorceress. We got a full energy summoner necro, a strength/vitality shapeshifter druid, and a claw tornado oskill barbarian with a split between strength for damage, dexterity for attack rating and vitality for health.

Comparing a mod to a full retail project isn't really fair. A mod has no time or monetary constraints. Fact of the matter is, I still can't think of a single retail game that did it well and I wont be surprised if there isn't a loot game in the future that does either.

Fugu

In 1.0 leech didn't suck and you still didn't need energy. a WW barb could just sit there with a pike or whatever (lances didn't drop) and never die or lose any mana at all. I played my barb the most pre-lod and you NEVER needed any energy, on any character I ever created.
Leech was expensive on weapons and usually came at the cost of damage. Also, when Blizzard implemented the penalties on leech for nm and hell the physical damage dealt by pikes was too low to make up the 25 mana cost unless you had dual leech rings, which meant lower resists.

Leech was expensive on weapons and usually came at the cost of damage. Also, when Blizzard implemented the penalties on leech for nm and hell the physical damage dealt by pikes was too low to make up the 25 mana cost unless you had dual leech rings, which meant lower resists.

Considering leech was on a ton of higher end gear it really wasn't hard to get enough to never run out of mana. Rare leech rings have been a barb staple for as long as i can even remember in d2

HenryHSH

Anyone bought the game off battle.net? I'm tempted to get it off their site so I can unlock the game at midnight without wasting much time. Any downsides to purchasing straight off their store? (Other than not having a tangible object)

Anyone bought the game off battle.net? I'm tempted to get it off their site so I can unlock the game at midnight without wasting much time. Any downsides to purchasing straight off their store? (Other than not having a tangible object)
I bought it off of Battle.net.

I just don't want to risk not having it immediately upon release... standing in line or waiting for shipping. A tangible game would be cool, especially with a collectors edition but not seeing any drawbacks.

elfinke

I grabbed it last night (payday!), and downloaded the files. I even clicked the big 'install' button, only to be rebuked and told about stars falling and some silly lore thing (the game isn't unlocked yet).

Worked flawlessly.

HenryHSH

I have to admit, a 200 page artbook sounds tempting but I'd rather be at my computer ready to play once it hit midnight instead of waiting in a long line or for a package.

Buying right now. :D

Does anyone know if the pre-download unlocks at 12am PST, or does it release at 12am in your region?

Hmm, good question. Either work for me though.

Kalnos

Banned
I thought about that, but I don't want to deal with the frustrations of first night servers... so I'm going to wait until after work the next day.

valeo

Diablo 2 Barbarian skill progression

Level 1:
Bash
Howl
Find Potion

Level 6:
Leap
Double Swing
Taunt
Shout

Level 12:
Stun
Double Throw
Find Item

Level 18:
Leap Attack
Concentrate
Battle Cry

Level 24:
Frenzy
Battle Orders
Grim Ward

Level 30:
Whirlwind
Berserk
War Cry
Battle Command

=========================

Diablo 3 Barbarian skill progression

1 Bash
2 Hammer of the Ancients
3 Cleave
4 Ground Stomp
5 Rend
6 Bash Clobber Rune
7 Hammer of the Ancients Rolling Thunder Rune
8 Leap
9 Ancient Spear
9 Cleave Rupture Rune
-
11 Frenzy
11 Rend Ravage Rune
12 Seismic Slam
12 Ground Stomp Deafening Crash Rune
13 Revenge
13 Bash Onslaught Rune
14 Weapon Throw
14 Leap Iron Impact Rune
15 Hammer of the Ancients Smash Rune
15 Ancient Spear Grappling Hooks Rune
16 Sprint
17 Threatening Shout
17 Frenzy Sidearm Rune
18 Cleave Reaping Swing Rune
18 Ground Stomp Wrenching Smash Rune
18 Seismic Slam Stagger Rune
19 Earthquake
19 Rend Blood Lust Rune
19 Revenge Vengeance is Mine Rune
20 Whirlwind
21 Furious Charge
21 Leap Launch Rune
21 Weapon Throw Mighty Throw Rune
22 Battle Rage
22 Ignore Pain
22 Frenzy Triumph Rune
23 Ancient Spear Skirmish Rune
23 Sprint Rush Rune
23 Threatening Shout Intimidate Rune
24 Earthquake Giant's Stride Rune
24 Whirlwind Dust Devils Rune
25 Call of the Ancients
25 Seismic Slam Shattered Ground Rune
25 Revenge Best Server Cold Rune
25 Weapon Throw Richochet Rune
26 Overpower
26 Bash Punish Rune
26 Battle Rage Marauder's Rage Rune
26 Ignore Pain Bravado Rune
27 Hammer of the Ancients The Devil's Anvil Rune
27 Furious Charge Battering Ram Rune
28 War Cry
28 Ground Stomp Trembling Stomp Rune
28 Threatening Shout Falter Rune
29 Sprint Run Like the Wind Rune
29 Earthquake Chilling Earth Rune
29 Whirlwind Hurricane Rune
29 Overpower Storm of Steel Rune
30 Wrath of the Berserker

31+ Another 72 assorted runes

===

A Diablo 2 Barbarian will finish Normal difficulty with 20 different skills to choose from.

A Diablo 3 Barbarian will finish Normal difficulty (level 30, per Bashiok's confirmation) with 59 (FIFTY-NINE) different skills to choose from. He will continue gaining skills after level 30 all the way up to level 60 at the rate of about 2 new runes to try per level, for another 72 (SEVENTY-TWO) skills left to be earned by the end of Normal, or a total of 131 different skills to select by the time he's just about to start Inferno difficulty.

I'm assuming this has been posted already but can people STOP SAYING D2 HAD MORE CUSTOMIZATION. Seriously. You're wrong - it's not even subjective, it's a fact. What Blizzard has done is absolutely mammoth and people will see that once they start playing the real game. Can't believe how much ignorant bitching is going on.

Fugu

First of all, that list is completely disingenuous. Second of all, the number of viable builds and possible variations on those viable builds will determine whether or not there is more customization. Seeing as you know exactly as much about endgame as everyone else does here, the question remains an open one. The number of options are irrelevant if they're not balanced.

Phenomic

This is kind of off topic I guess, but to anyone who has prepurchased the game directly from the Blizzard's website and do they charge your card right then or the day the game comes out?

I kind of want a box copy, but honestly I don't want to go to Walmart and midnight and risk not being able to play it for a few hours when the servers launch. Can't get behind ya know?

mbmonk

So no in game voice chat for D3? I must admit I would have liked to have it. It would just make playing with my brother easier.

Any suggestions between Mumble, Ventrillo, and TeamSpeak? It will only be about 5 people max on the server at a time.

forrest

formerly nacire
So no in game voice chat for D3? I must admit I would have liked to have it. It would just make playing with my brother easier.

Any suggestions between Mumble, Ventrillo, and TeamSpeak? It will only be about 5 people max on the server at a time.

I hear mumble is a great option with relatively little lag compared to Vent and TS.

elfinke

Yeah that bummed me out in the beta, though I kinda hoped it was just a beta thing.

Ah well.

hitsugi

First of all, that list is completely disingenuous. Second of all, the number of viable builds and possible variations on those viable builds will determine whether or not there is more customization. Seeing as you know exactly as much about endgame as everyone else does here, the question remains an open one. The number of options are irrelevant if they're not balanced.

I gotta say, stat point allocation (and their various attributes) will be something I'll miss.. but having to make multiple characters based on that, I won't.

High dex sorc was so fun D:

Soo... I have played and "completed" the single player modes on both the previous Diablo games but I have absolutely no idea what the multiplayer is all about... especially not in this third game. Is there anywhere I can read about it? (Not massive detail, just an overview of it all)

Soo... I have played and "completed" the single player modes on both the previous Diablo games but I have absolutely no idea what the multiplayer is all about... especially not in this third game. Is there anywhere I can read about it? (Not massive detail, just an overview of it all)

It's up to four-player co-op. Quests are exactly the same. Monsters are more numerous and more difficult. Loot is automatically distributed to each player so no one can steal anyone else's. It is very fun.

That's about it!

valeo

I gotta say, stat point allocation (and their various attributes) will be something I'll miss.. but having to make multiple characters based on that, I won't.

High dex sorc was so fun D:

Just another comment born out of not knowing exactly how things work - you can still have your high dex Sorc, the only difference is that it's now dependant on gear. In fact, you can have a much better high dex Sorc/Wiz than you'd ever have in D2.

No. Shit. There are only a handful of 'viable' (as you say) builds in Hell in D2 - I would be absolutely shocked if there are only a few viable builds in D3. That is the difference. The amount of work that has gone into each skill in D3 is something that should be applauded. They've tried to make EVERY skill useful; obviously, this wont happen, but I think the attempt should be complimented, not criticised by people who don't even realise how the system works.

Although I agree with you, I am curious about something: How has build diversity "performed" in internal testing? Do people tend to gravitate towards certain skills/builds, or is there actually a large amount of diversity in play?

Bashiok: There's a large amount of diversity, and some of that is afforded by overlap in skills. With ~150 skills per class they of course aren't all going to unique in their function, which allows for overlap and customization in build choice. In addition, we find that gear as well as just play experience will influence someone's build as they go. Someone might pick up an item with a +skill mod, and decide to swap around their build to benefit from the item. If they enjoy it they'll start building out a set that really feeds that new build. In addition to the Nephalem Valor buff which penalizes changing builds mid-game, there's a large amount of item and skill investment in perfecting a build that lends itself to sticking with it. I know people have a concept that players are just going to be swapping around their builds all the time, and that's certainly true as things are unlocking, but at high levels there's enough investment in a build that it just doesn't really happen.

I've said this elsewhere recently, but the designers knew they were on the right track for diversity and balance when people would come up to them and say "This skill is absolutely overpowered and required to play this class" and right behind them would be another person saying the exact same thing about another skill. There are absolutely skills that are very tempting, but different skills appeal to different people, and our intent (and what we believe we've achieved) is the ability for someone to choose a build that appeals to them and to make it work. A lot of personal taste, play style, experience, and even just aesthetics play more into build choices than people usually expect. And that's insanely exciting from both a design and player perspective.

The fact is, this system is CLEARLY superior to the old D2 skill tree system and I can't believe anyone who says it isn't. The D2 skill tree system was not good and was not the reason I played. People will stop complaining once they play the actual game. Just really can't fathom how people can't see the advantages of this system. The only disadvantage is the lack of permanence but really; is that really a bad thing?

As I said in the other thread (or was it this one), Gems have taken over stat growths. Look up the max amount of sockets you can have on gear and then times that by the attribute amount the highest gem gives you.

This above system allows for more customization of points then the old stat system. Want to make a Wizard who can dodge like a boss? All Dex Gems. Need your barbarian to stop getting raped by Diablo's fire? All Int gems. And whatever combination in-between.

The game isn't even out yet, play for a month. Get to 60 and give Inferno a serious go with these new systems before you start complaining.

Takes a guy called Gaylord Sweetwood to bring some common sense to GAF..

Oh, and yeah, you will customize your stats in D3. It will be done with gemcrafting on your gear, which will modify a large portion of your stats.

You always had near infinite mana in a sense because of infinite potions and infinite gold. It was just a gigantic annoyance to do it.

Yeah that bummed me out in the beta, though I kinda hoped it was just a beta thing.

Ah well.

The in game voice in both SC2 and WoW is garbage. I wouldn't look forward to it in D3, if they include it it'll be the same half-assed implementation. You're not going to get good voice chat outside of 3rd party solutions, but Skype is both free and pretty amazing if you don't want a permanent server set up.

Top Bottom