• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2

KAL2006

Banned
With Diablo 3 coming mid May and Guild Wars 2 Prepurchase beta starting at the end of this month, I am having a hard time choosing which game I will put the most time into. No doubt I am getting Diablo 3 as I am a fan of the series. But which game should I sink a lot of my playtime into and play it hardcore. I dont think I can get into both games.

Alchemy

Buy the game you'll actually be able to play.

Ninja edit: Since only one of those games even has a release date.

Torraz

I'm probably going to get both. Haven't participated in the beta of either but so far I am anticipating focusing on PvE in D3 (with ex wow guild mates etc...) and PvP in GW 2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Completely different games. Play both games when they're both released and decide for yourself.

Also, Diablo 3 is out soon. Guild Wars 2 is not.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You need to plan this already?

If you're going to get both and you say you are, you see which one you enjoy more and play that.
I mean that's what's going to happen anyway. Unless you're strange and you will think "But I made a thread in April about this. I must pull through!"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, that is an interesting way to think about that, really....
Probably the worst thing I've read in a month or two, it's not even funny. I'll give him props for trying, at least.

Card Boy

Banned
I honestly don't understand why you can't get both, one comes out next month and the other doesnt have a release date yet. GW2 could even get delayed to 2013.

mxgt

Banned
I would buy GW2 to get into the beta's but the standard edition is £49.99

fuck that. not cool, arenanet.

KAL2006

Banned
I honestly don't understand why you can't get both, one comes out next month and the other doesnt have a release date yet. GW2 could even get delayed to 2013.
Oh I assumed Guild Wars 2 could get released this year. No doubt I will get Diablo 3 and do a couple of playthroughs. But what I am saying is its going to be a hard decition deciding between which game I should invest a lot of time in and play it hardcore.

I can either play Diablo 3 casually and invest most my time on Guild Wars 2. Or just stick to Diablo 3 and play that hardcire (getting into endgame playthrough). Like I said before I have no time to play both games as I still have my console games and have work, social life etc.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Guild Wars 2 (player vs player). I'm more excited for its beta access than the Diablo 3 pre order I placed a year ago.

I also found the Diablo 3 beta to be as boring as Torchlight, which isn't a good thing.

Enosh

don't care about diablo
will maybe get gw2, gameplay videos aren't exactly inspiring confidence

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Diablo.

What's the Guild Wars MMO gimmick? Looks like the same fetch quests, but this time they're randomly generated!

Reikon

GW2 is confirmed to be coming out in 2012 and was mentioned that it'll be out in less than 6 months.

I would buy GW2 to get into the beta's but the standard edition is £49.99

fuck that. not cool, arenanet.

£49.99 - 20% VAT = £41.67 = $66. Doesn't seem that far off to me.

Haunted

With Diablo 3 coming mid May and Guild Wars 2 Prepurchase beta starting at the end of this month, I am having a hard time choosing which game I will put the most time into. No doubt I am getting Diablo 3 as I am a fan of the series. But which game should I sink a lot of my playtime into and play it hardcore. I dont think I can get into both games.
Play both for a couple hours and see where you want to spend your time.

Not sure why this would have to be planned out beforehand?

An-Det

I'll be playing both. Diablo releases in a month, Guild Wars is still a ways off in comparison, so there's no clash between them for me. Not sure why you'd have to choose between them given the timeframes.

mxgt

Banned
GW2 is confirmed to be coming out in 2012 and was mentioned that it'll be out in less than 6 months.

£49.99 - 20% VAT = £41.67 = $66. Doesn't seem that far off to me.

considering full price new release PC games here are £24.99-£29.99 the large majority of the time, that price for the standard edition is horrific.

Minsc

Gold Member
If you're going to sink a lot of playtime into it and play hardcore, you're probably looking at 1000s of hours. So play both games' campaigns (will probably be in only the ~20 hour range each), then decide where the remaining 99% of your playtime will go.

Neither has recurring monthly fees afaik, so you're free to jump back and forth as much as you'd like if you change your mind!

Alchemy

Arenanet is partially made up of former Blizzard employees.

Anyway, I'll be getting both. I don't need GW2 beta so no worries about have to play both at once.

To be fair, there is only one person at ArenaNet that used to work at Blizzard that actually does anything on GW2. Two of the founders left ArenaNet and the remaining one runs business stuff.

Reikon

Unless there are unforeseen circumstances that delay the game.

D3 isn't out yet. There could be unforeseen circumstances that delay it too. Your point?

considering full price new release PC games here are £24.99-£29.99 the large majority of the time, that price for the standard edition is horrific.

Europeans often ask for price parity with US, and this what you get! :p

LowParry

I say both. D3 being out in May, and GW2 sounds like it's coming out later into the year. Late Summer time is my guess. I plan on getting both. :D

smr00

Banned
I would love to get D3 but at a point in my life where i don't get a whole lot of game time and the limited free time i do get i like to watch shows, movies as well as play games. Wish i was 15-16 like when D2 came out so i could spend all my time on it :(

But if you have time to play both i say go for both, they both look phenomenal to me.

Top Bottom