• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 will require a persistent Internet connection to play/has always online DRM

Alex

I like it, keeps online a little more secure than the past and people who want dedicated offline can just hack it in, it's your game, no one fucking cares if you crack it. What utterly faux rage.

Auction House stuff is... weird, but not entirely shocking after watching them trying to fight gold sellers in WoW with every single bit of design known to man.

rakhir

I don't care about it - one thing to play by myself in a game like Assasin's Creed and it's stupid DRM, another thing is to be online, gather achievements and chat to bnet friends, who are playing SC or WoW.

Also, if it helps with item duping i'm all for it.

Sophia

bluestuff said:
I played diablo 2 multiplayer, in 2001, on a 56k modem. I don't even understand why people in 2011 are getting upset that a game primarily focusing on loot, co-op, trading etc requires an internet connection.

Comcast in this area has a tendency to go out at every possible natural disaster, and often for significant periods of time. How exactly do I intend to play the game if, say, a thunderstorm or ice storm knocks out my internet for a week?

It isn't a problem with Steam or Starcraft 2, because they at least have an offline mode.

Lothars

FieryBalrog said:
I would never play any Diablo game offline, but this is still bullshit.
That's how I feel about it as well, I play Diablo occasionally offline or to test but I just wish they had an offline mode for singleplayer.

Jackl

FieryBalrog said:
I would never play any Diablo game offline, but this is still bullshit.

Pretty much. Seems odd they wouldn't include something so simple as an offline/training mode.

antonz

Alex said:
I like it, keeps online a little more secure than the past and people who want dedicated offline can just hack it in, it's your game, no one fucking cares if you crack it. What utterly faux rage.

Auction House stuff is... weird, but not entirely shocking after watching them trying to fight gold sellers in WoW with every single bit of design known to man.
The Auction house doesn't fight gold sellers at all though. If anything it now gives them an official sanctioned place to peddle their wares.

Now 50,000 Chinese Farmers can put loot they farm for days on end. The only difference now is Blizzard gets to enjoy a small portion of the proceeds

SUPARSTARX said:
This.

People playing single player are pretty much in the minority.

I often use my PC where I don't have an Internet connection. I may not always play DIII, but I'd appreciate the ability to play my personal property whenever I like.

Well, I won't be getting Diablo 3 for some time after launch then. I wasn't sure if I was going to or not, because while Diablo 2 was fun I wasn't endlessly hooked to it like some people (in fact, I played it mostly in single player and barely touched the online play), but it was fun and I like Blizzard, so I've certainly been thinking about getting Diablo 3. However, this decides it for sure... I won't be anytime soon.

Chris R

subversus said:
Yea it sucks, but I'm not paying 90 a month for capped bandwidth internet. Plenty other games to care about now. Torchlight 2 and the next game from the Titan Quest people look pretty cool (looking muuuuch better now).

antipod

I see no problems with this at all and is rather welcome. Local D2 gets boring rather fast, is rather pointless and the lack of a battle.net system in other similar games like Torchlight is why I haven't bothered with them. In other words; it won't make a difference for me with D3.

antonz said:
The Auction house doesn't fight gold sellers at all though. If anything it now gives them an official sanctioned place to peddle their wares.

Now 50,000 Chinese Farmers can put loot they farm for days on end. The only difference now is Blizzard gets to enjoy a small portion of the proceeds
They are also now competing with millions of players for peoples money now though.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Gustav said:
I love that whenever something happens that is considered anti-consumer (whether it actually is is another question) some consumers start crying "piracy!!!" as if it's the only logical step you can take when you don't agree with something.
The right and logical step is to not get the game at all, but many don't think that way.

Thirteen

Neo Member
bluestuff said:
I played diablo 2 multiplayer, in 2001, on a 56k modem. I don't even understand why people in 2011 are getting upset that a game primarily focusing on loot, co-op, trading etc requires an internet connection.

Some of them are worried about their personal information and possibly just the hassle.
While for most of the others they won't be able to hack.

Soule

doesn't really affect how i intend to play the game, but kinda confused as to why they'd go down this route or what benefit they get from it. I mean surely a completley offline single player mode can't harm them? Oh well, still day 1 no brainer for me but is disappointing to take away options for no apparent reason.

V_Arnold

Marrshu said:
Comcast in this area has a tendency to go out at every possible natural disaster, and often for significant periods of time. How exactly do I intend to play the game if, say, a thunderstorm or ice storm knocks out my internet for a week?

It isn't a problem with Steam or Starcraft 2, because they at least have an offline mode.

To be honest, I am a gold/plat/diamond-level SCII player, but if I have no net connection at the moment, I am better off working out and thinking about my builds while doing that than playing offline vs. AI. It might just as well not exist at that time.

CiSTM

Banned
fuck! Sad since this was one of those games I really wanted to play. I guess it's still Diablo 2 and Torchlight II for me.

Alex

antonz said:

The plight of gold sellers in WoW isn't the gold or the goods, nothing you earn in WoW that is actually tradeable is terribly difficult to earn, the economy has no real issues and is actually remarkably healthy for an MMO of it's age. The problem is the extreme havoc they wreck on the security of the game.

Gold sellers don't even farm anymore, they hack and they steal. As such, the amount of time and money Blizzard has to pump into CS and recovery has become utterly gargantuan due to this. Sadly, there's almost no precaution one can take against the crazy methods folks take on the PC to inject a keylogger, you can be hit just by any number of methods, even through flash banners on safe sites. Anyone without an authenticator is at solid risk. WoW hacking actually became a safer alternative to credit card theft online for certain groups of thieves.

Anyhow, I can't imagine Diablo III will be much different, the economy, that is. Putting RMT into the basic fabric of the game, allowing the awkward and the extremely lazy to forego pumping bucks into shady gold sites and facilitate all of this will make a solid dent in these operations.

I still think it's weird though. It's hard to support something like that before seeing it play out.

bluestuff said:

Well seeing as Blizzard are aiming at making the game playable on a 2001 computer judging by the graphics, I would have liked to play it on the train on my laptop. There is internet there but it drops out quite a few times, especially when 75 meter underwater in a tunnel. Not being able to play games wherever and when I want pisses me off and I'm just not going to buy any games that requires constant internet connection.

inky

pieatorium said:
They are also now competing with millions of players for peoples money now though.

People who don't farm gold and items for a living? That's not fair competition =/

Shame, I was really looking forward to this. I'm not in a position right now where I can be online all the time if I want to play a singleplayer game. I'll have to play it way down the line when my situation changes.

Doesn't affect me at all, but sucks for the people it does. It'd be interesting to see the data on the number of people who play something like SC2 online vs off. It's hard to judge just how many people are affected by needing always on internet in this day and age.

rhfb said:
Yea it sucks, but I'm not paying 90 a month for capped bandwidth internet. Plenty other games to care about now. Torchlight 2 and the next game from the Titan Quest people look pretty cool (looking muuuuch better now).

I was going to say something extreme like giving up running water before giving up the internet, but that would actually be gross.

Electricity just wouldn't make sense.

I'd give up gas before I give up the internet, but I have literally nothing that requires the gas other than the heater I never use because I like the cold and it never truly gets that cold here. Oh wait... water heater?

Frankly, they should just give away a single-player version of the game for free to whet appetites and get people into multiplayer since they are going for AH brokering revenue there. And singleplayer Diablo is, to put it bluntly, a gimped experience. People can then pay to get the full online experience.

Besides, everyone's going to pirate the single player anyway, SC2 despite its online DRM was the biggest pirated game of 2010.

Everyone is happy then.

Rich!

Where I live (ye olde rural england), we don't have fibre optic. Our internet connection drops constantly (for a minute at a time, sometimes). What does this mean? It means I cannot play this game. Or any other game with this fucktarded DRM, for that matter.

Great. Wasn't too interested in Diablo, but it's a real shame to see this DRM spread. The day it becomes more widespread is the day I stop gaming, literally - I have no other choice with it.

It'll still be a day one purchase for me since I'm not affected by it. Sucks for those who have bad connections or no internet at all though.

Lothars

FieryBalrog said:
Frankly, they should just give away a single-player version of the game for free to whet appetites and get people into multiplayer since they are going for AH brokering revenue there. And singleplayer Diablo is, to put it bluntly, a gimped experience. People can then pay to get the full online experience.

Besides, everyone's going to pirate the single player anyway, SC2 despite its online DRM was the biggest pirated game of 2010.

Everyone is happy then.
That's an genius idea, I am blown away at how good of an idea that is.

thePsyKo1 said:
What's a crack going to do when the save data is stored on Blizzard's servers?

Presumably you crack it to be able to save locally and play offline.

If a crack let you take your server-side characters to your HD that would be bullshit since its an obvious recipe for cheating.

R1CHO

I have played hundreds of hours to diabloII on my laptop without internet... this is a deal breaker for me.

Not geting the game full price at all.

V_Arnold

FieryBalrog said:

Everyone is happy then.

Huh.... okay. Feelin' dizzy reading this.
So now the game itself, that has been developed by the team for a few years now, is worth zero?

Or if a player that does 20 auctions in his entire D3 career, thus rewarding 20*0.15$ or heck, even 20*0.5$ will be good enough to warrant even the client download costs?

Alex

It's a Blizzard game, there will be great deals of different types of hacks, work arounds, emulation, trainers, etc. Trying to take any of it back online will probably just get you instantly caught and removed by their Warden thing.

CiSTM

Banned
what's with the diablo single player hate around here ? I have never played either Diablo online but I spent hundreds of hours on single player 'cos it was freaking awesome!

inky

FieryBalrog said:
Presumably you crack it to be able to save locally and play offline.

If a crack let you take your server-side characters to your HD that would be bullshit since its an obvious recipe for cheating.

Server side characters implies that it will be tough to crack to begin with, doesn't it? What Blizzard should do is have an offline mode that doesn't affect any online aspects, i.e. separate chars/items, etc. They want you online though, so I'm sure they dismissed the idea pretty quickly.

I don't know how I feel about all of this yet. I want to play the game, but everything from the graphics to the policies are telling me I shouldn't expect much from it.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
When I read things like this, it just makes me think that services like OnLive and Gaikai are the future of video games. If an internet connection is always required then, why not store a good chunk of the game in the cloud?

Lothars

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Boycotting only makes sense when the game in question doesn't look like shit.
Well The game definitely doesn't look like shit and we are not looking at the same game if you think it does.

Top Bottom