• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wizards dont really need that many buffs, just a tweak in a few areas. They are one of the most polished classes in the game, that isnt saying a lot, but still Wizards have a lot of useful skills/builds. Im sure the majority of the resources are going into Witch Doctors and the rest into Monk help. Play a Witch Doctor for awhile and you will see how much further along every other class is. It seems Witch Doctor is the last preview they plan to write up, so guess we have to wait longer to see what changes they have in mind. It doesnt appear they are listening to the community, so the changes they have planned will probably be slight buffs to pets, buff to haunt, cc spells and zero help with mana concerns. I think if they dont address mana issues with Witch Doctors, Im done till they do fix it.

mana issue ?

Radec

Anyway, I hope the Wiz nerf isn't as bad as I thought it would since I'm keeping it as my main class. Though I'm still waiting for the Monk changes. I hope they'll say something like this for the remaining classes:

I'll close by adding that there are no changes planned for either Sprint or Battle Rage, so all you crazy double tornado barbarians will still be able to log in after 1.0.4 goes live and continue with your current build. Or, you can try out some of the new toys we’re adding. Either way, we hope you have fun and are looking forward to 1.0.4!

zou

So Blizzard just nerfed Crit % for any CM wizzard by a nice 50%. But hey, we suck at math and so do you and you're probably too dumb to notice. Now go and use Hydra, we spent waay too much time on it for you to go off and abuse WW/CM instead.

Fuckers nerfed the one build that felt less like WoW and more like D2.

ElyrionX

I think it's great that they are buffing the other hydras. Frost Hydra will probably see a lot of use if it can be used in place of Blizzard as a snaring tool.

I wonder why they didn't boost the other armors though. In Inferno, you got three useless armor skills that never gets used due to how powerful Energy Armor is.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Damn, that twister proc nerf came out of nowhere :(. I know the reasoning was to increase build diversity, but I thought the philosophy was to make unpopular skills better and to leave popular builds pretty much untouched.

Can't say I'm pleased with this, but hopefully some other buffs will make up for it.

ElyrionX

So Blizzard just nerfed Crit % for any CM wizzard by a nice 50%. But hey, we suck at math and so do you and you're probably too dumb to notice. Now go and use Hydra, we spent waay too much time on it for you to go off and abuse WW/CM instead.

Assumig they didn't nerf it, Star Pact has a high proc coefficient as well.

ElyrionX

Just read the post on Legendaries.

I'm calling it now. People are going to start whining about the low drop rates of Legendaries after the patch goes live. I've had something like four Legendaries drop in 250 hours of play. It's utterly ridiculous.

Just read the post on Legendaries.

I'm calling it now. People are going to start whining about the low drop rates of Legendaries after the patch goes live. I've had something like four Legendaries drop in 250 hours of play. It's utterly ridiculous.

Mobs will drp 4 times more items so there will be more legendaries consequently.

V_Arnold

No, it did not. It nerfed the PROC coef for one spell, the spells will crit just as much, always. Wtf.
There are many other tools for Wizards to get CM procs other than Wicked Wind, so... if it was their only spell, maybe then that would be true, but it is not.

V_Arnold

Mobs will drp 4 times more items so there will be more legendaries consequently.

No, this is not true.
Blue post:

Blizz Blue post said:
Just to clarify, we aren’t making any changes to the chance that an item will drop. Instead, we’re changing the quality of that item when it drops. And when we say we’re increasing the likelihood that non-Elite monsters will drop magical items “by a factor of four,” it means that those monsters should drop 4 times (or “4x”) the amount of magical items as they do now. It’s important to note, however, that this will only affect Magic items and Rare items.

So, for example, if doing a full clear of an area currently yields 500 items from non-Elites, it will still yield 500 items after 1.0.4. Whereas you may have only gotten 20 Magic (blue) items and 4 Rare (yellow) item from those non-Elites before, you’ll now get approximately 80 Magic items and 16 Rares.

Is this 4-fold increase being applied to Legendaries as well?
Negative, it only affects Magic items and Rare items (apologies for the confusion).

zou

No, it did not. It nerfed the PROC coef for one spell, the spells will crit just as much, always. Wtf.
There are many other tools for Wizards to get CM procs other than Wicked Wind, so... if it was their only spell, maybe then that would be true, but it is not.

Because that's what I actually meant. Add an effectively if that makes you happy.

Celegus

I just got my wizard to 60 and I'm not really set on a build yet, so I think I'll wait and see what changes. I seem to be doing pretty okay going through act 2 so far, but the one thing I can't figure out is which signature skill is the best. I've been using the charged shot arcane bolt, but still seems pretty meh.

Incorrect. They will drop only magics and rares 4 times more. Legendary drop rate will remain the same.

Have they said legendaries get their own drop rate i just thought it was a .001% chance that can be boosted by MF which would also get boosted by the 4x drop rate. The game guide puts it in the same list as rares and blues as just one more tier up but the drop rate is super small.

Ploid 3.0

Anything that isn't a bear build has problems with regen even with mana regen stats.If have to actually play a WD to see the issue it's terrible.Poison Dart might be the number 1 skill used for WD's atm i'm betting

I remember running out of mana by using poison darts only. Everything WD casts eats mana, while wizard can spam like crazy with it's signature abilities. WD has low cost stuff that could be classified as signature but they are still able to drain your mana to 0 under some situations/runes.

What is proc exactly, I see that pops up frequently.

I think it's Process, to make an effect happen. Like 20% chance to cause bleed, then you swing and cause bleed so it proc'd! In this case it's criticals causing CM to proc which gives you a faster recast on all spells by 1 second.

scosher

Yep, this is what I was talking about. THAT is the real fuel of the crit-build, not Wicked Wind. Not that it is bad in any way, but it is just one half of the fun.

That's not true in the slightest. Chain Reaction only has an 11% proc coefficient, which would still be less than Wicked Wind post-nerf.

WW was the fuel of the CM build. You don't necessarily even need Explosive Blast for a CM build to work (there are several variants that used Venom Hydra or Archon, for example).

scy

Damn, that twister proc nerf came out of nowhere :(. I know the reasoning was to increase build diversity, but I thought the philosophy was to make unpopular skills better and to leave popular builds pretty much untouched.

I imagine most of it is due to the changed itemizations that meant super high proc rates (or, rather, high ppm) called for things like this. Plus, Wicked Wind was returning greater than 0.25, wasn't it? Regardless, there's other high yield proc rate spells (Chain Reaction, depending on new Meteor viability for Star Pact, etc.).

I'm more curious how WD will come from this. They have the highest ppm rates due to spell stacking on certain spells (Rain of Toads, Phantasm, etc.) so if that's the logic behind toning down Wizard proc rates then WDs may have a bigger problem.

That's not true in the slightest. Chain Reaction only has an 11% proc coefficient, which would still be less than Wicked Wind post-nerf.

WW was the fuel of the CM build. You don't necessarily even need Explosive Blast for a CM build to work (there are several variants that used Venom Hydra or Archon, for example).

Honestly, I don't think CM builds have anything to worry about. The returns before were high enough that some crit procs were essentially wasted. Besides, WW/CM is an engine. What break points you need for crits for AP or cooldown reduction may change with adjustments for other spells.

ElyrionX

Incorrect. Star Pact can perform the job as well and was what melee wizs used before WW was buffed. I know because I was using this build before WW came around.

Haunted

The legendary improvements sound great, but with a game as long in development as this, you can't help but feel that they really should've nailed them the first time around, not after a couple months when tons of players have already abandoned the game. Seeing how I wasn't happy with the legendary drop rate as is (first and only drop after ~120 hours) and was bored with replaying the same limited content available to me, I will not be coming back.

Good on Blizz for acknowledging their mistakes and improving the game, though.

scosher

Incorrect. Star Pact can perform the job as well and was what melee wizs used before WW was buffed. I know because I was using this build before WW came around.

I realize that. I'll see how it still plays in 1.04, but in my opinion, a 50% nerf to its coefficient is a bit of an overnerf. It may still work if you have a 50% crit rate...but at that point, why not just use Star Pact, which'll do more damage and have a larger radius? If all melee wizards simply revert back to Meteor as the skill choice, because it's definitively better than WW, then that's not exactly promoting build diversity.

Ploid 3.0

Wicked wind alone hit's fast and is weak, but add 6 more wicked wind tornadoes and you got yourself a stew going.

tumblr_m634hur1PV1qed4l7o1_400.jpg

Kunohara

You guys gotta remember this is a preview of the changes, not all of them. I'm sure there will be many changes for all the classes. I highly doubt the hydra is going to be the only thing changing.

I'm just waiting for the monk changes (my main). I would love for wave of light to be buffed. I want to smack mobs with a big fucking bell.

Radec

I'm testing Star Pact right now until I got 5NV, and it's not even close to the effectiveness of Twister:WW. WW would have returned the AP spent before the meteor lands. You would have casted atleas 2 WW before the first meteor lands.

Maybe it worked fine on you guys but in my testing it's not, so I'm not gonna use this even post-nerf of WW.

alexel

Not really, with enough life on hit, you can dance around all that stuff all day long. Ranged mobs are annoying, but aren't that hard.

I've looked at your gear Rentahamster, and while there might be some differences between our sets (check out Brototype#1570 if you're curious on mine), I still argue we get messed up by those affixes. If you don't have to do some tactical whirlwinding/sprinting around fat golgors in arreat crater with invulnerable minions and molten, then apparently you've got some secret that I don't know.

Also, I have 900-950 resists (buffed with warcry), 7.7k armor, 42.6k HP, 1650 LOH if you didn't want to add up the stats from my profile

While wizards do struggle with most of those things as well, I feel a properly geared one that can permafreeze those packs have it much easier than the strategic pathing I have to do to kill those without too many deaths. That being said, I really don't envy the early onset carpal tunnel that poor wind-up wizards seem to experience.

Also just for the record, I don't really like what they did with the wizard energy twister nerf and wish they would've just left it as is.

Cipherr

Yeah, sucks that they abandoned the bolded. Would have been nice.

Xanathus

So glad I switched to a tornado Barb, I would be sooo fucked if I stayed with my WW Wiz. Without WW there's no way my Wiz could do Act 3.

scy

Of all the problems in Diablo 3, the fact that Monk bell isn't the most awesomest thing in their arsenal is the greatest tragedy of the game.

I sincerely hope they remedy this.

Edit: On that note, I wonder what kind of Passive changes we can expect. It is kind of annoying that basically all classes have at least one, if not more than one, must use passives.

Of all the problems in Diablo 3, the fact that Monk bell isn't the most awesomest thing in their arsenal is the greatest tragedy of the game.

I sincerely hope they remedy this.

Edit: On that note, I wonder what kind of Passive changes we can expect. It is kind of annoying that basically all classes have at least one, if not more than one, must use passives.

Is used it SO much when I was running throuigh normal.

I tried my damned best to always use bell, even in Inferno.

I just liked the sound. I canked my computer and the loud bang was awesome. *WHACK WHACK WHACK BONNGNGNGNGGG!" The knockback was good too. That's a skill that could definitely replace lashing tail kick for me. I love me my crowd control.

Kunohara

I remember when my friends and I were first playing the game, and when I used wave of light for the first time, all my friends go "was that a bell I just saw?" "what the fuck was that?"

I basically used it all of normal and nightmare too. I didn't not want to give it up.

scy

Wave of Light change is +~82% base Damage? Hrm...

While we'd prefer that there wasn't an "absolutely mandatory" passive, we're going to let this one ride for now.

T.T

I love me my crowd control.

Basically why I used Explosive Light. PBAoE with the slight knockup that interrupted attack animations. Unfortunately, least satisfying sound.

I remember when my friends and I were first playing the game, and when I used wave of light for the first time, all my friends go "was that a bell I just saw?" "what the fuck was that?"

"Was that a fucking bell?"
"DAT BELL NEVER REMOVING THIS SKILL"

Basically how it played out.

Definity

Exploding palm gets a big boost:

Current: 220% weapon damage over 3 seconds
1.0.4: 745% weapon damage over 9 seconds

V_Arnold

That is not too big, btw. 246,6% instead of 220% for 3 seconds. But yeah, it is going to be a valid skill to use, in certain builds. Hopefully.

But the skill that makes me really happy to see getting buffed is Seven-Sided Strike, I just love the concept of that. Still using it on act1 inf farm :p

scy

Well, sort of. It's easier to get the explosion but the DPS increase for the skill itself is pretty small (~13%). We'll see how much better it is with it being easier to get the explosion, I guess.

...doesn't seem to make it any better as an actual spirit spender, though. You're still not spamming it instead of Mantras.

But the skill that makes me really happy to see getting buffed is Seven-Sided Strike, I just love the concept of that. Still using it on act1 inf farm :p

Those goddamn teases by not telling us the numbers. It better be well into the thousands based off how coy they're acting :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom