• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Naw I won't expext to much still getting it for gameplay reasons but I did admire...? the cinematics. I think
The, the cinematics = delicious.

Xevren

Had 6 legendaries drop in act 1 playing with my nephew. Was damn nutty, loot in general is so nice after playing on pc for so long. Though on 360 performance is pretty bad, especially if an achievement comes up. Still, it's fun to play with people who I couldn't before.

Dahbomb

Anyone know if Paragon levels still give you stats (like dex/str/int/vit)? I know they still give you mf/gf bonuses but since the bonuses are account wide I have a feeling they don't give out stat bonuses. Otherwise toons would be over powered as hell running around with 300 main stat.

Fox1304

A friend received an email suggesting that hardcore didn't have any coop ?
Is that true or is it wrong wording from the mail ?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Played for 3 hours yesterday online with 2 mates. one mate was the host.
Had absolutely no problems but the other mate complained over one second long freezes every other minute..
Only Problem i had is that it seemed to me that i got hit even when i was allready out of the carnage. Like delayed hit reg..
That did cost me 3 deaths..

someone else had this?

I feel like I've played many rip-offs over the years, but I've never played the real thing until now.

You should have played Sacred 2.
Very good on its own. Allthough its an absolute bugfest.
But the combat, skills and loot are top notch. controll scheme is like d3.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Playing on hard mode and just killed Skeleton King, and I am getting my arsed whooped in the new area.

Playing as a Monk.

Playing on hard mode and just killed Skeleton King, and I am getting my arsed whooped in the new area.

Playing as a Monk.

That area is a bitch on Hard if you have not leveled enough or have good weapons/gear. My DH class managed this because of the fact that I could kite most of them, but for a monk it must be much harder.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Played for 3 hours yesterday online with 2 mates. one mate was the host.
Had absolutely no problems but the other mate complained over one second long freezes every other minute..
Only Problem i had is that it seemed to me that i got hit even when i was allready out of the carnage. Like delayed hit reg..
That did cost me 3 deaths..

someone else had this?

Game's designed that way unfortunately. If you get hit you're gonna get hit even if you've made it all the way across the screen in the meantime. Kiting is not really an option in this game. I made a build where I can stand in the middle of it all (CM wizard) because running is just a waste of time unless you're in a cloud of poison or arcane beam.

It feels cheap to me, much like the Ents' poison pods that kill you in one second, the bugs in the desert that shoot smaller bugs or the tentacles that come up from the ground in Act III. Poison is awful and cheap in general.

What I do have some problems with is enemys "porting", their animations not playing properly or me taking damage even though I evaded the attack etc.

Yeah, like I said above, just the way the game's made. The only evade you're gonna get is your dodge roll.

Loginius

Although it sucks that they're terribly compressed, at least on X360.

Not half as bad as on pc...
dont know why blizz seems that determined on ruining those awesome cinematics.

I really like the console version, x360 here, some tearing, some fps drops but nothing gamebreaking until now (act2).

The way loot is handled is much better than on pc,
What I do have some problems with is enemys "porting", their animations not playing properly or me taking damage even though I evaded the attack etc.
I always thought that this was caused by lag in the pc version.
Judging by the fact that it happens to the offline console version as well just further proves that the engine is a mess.
(not gamebreakings because it doesnt happen often, still sucks)

Arjen

Diablo virgin here, having tons of fun so far, controls are tight, gameplay is fun and co-op is great.
Is the only penalty for death 10% durability loss? That doesn't seem very punishing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Diablo virgin here, having tons of fun so far, controls are tight, gameplay is fun and co-op is great.
Is the only penalty for death 10% durability loss? That doesn't seem very punishing.
Yup, that's the punishment.

Seik

Banned
Soooo I came back from work and played until this very moment when I totally need to sleep or I'll be a zombie tomorrow, I'm just dropping by to leave my impression.

Holy shit, I'm addicted. It just feels right, everything just feels right. I barely noticed the framedrops and only noticed the screen tearing a very few times. The controls and menus are cleverly made.

I'm very happy, because this will keep me busy instead of being fucking obsessed about W101.

EDIT: Yeah, the death punishment is so light it almost makes me feel guilty to come back where I died. :lol

V_Arnold

Game's designed that way unfortunately. If you get hit you're gonna get hit even if you've made it all the way across the screen in the meantime. Kiting is not really an option in this game. I made a build where I can stand in the middle of it all (CM wizard) because running is just a waste of time unless you're in a cloud of poison or arcane beam.

This is not true at all. I was a kiting wizard for the hardest period of the PC version (pre-Nerf Inferno, pre-1.03), and that simply was not the case. High latency changes stuff, but when it works, it works.

What the poster above you most likely had in mind was that dodge rolls do this: even if you escape a hit, whether you are damaged by it or not is determined randomly. That sucks, admittedly. Even always getting hit is a better option than randomizing it, imho.

koji

Some animations just can't be dodged when they've started, like the dudes in Act 3 with the hands in the ground... Well it used to be like that on PC anyway.

Some people expected the roll mechanic to be a quick escape like Devil May Cry's or God of War's roll, where they can escape an attack by a flick of the stick. They wanted it like that so that it comes down to player skill and reaction time, but that is just not how Blizzard intended it to be. It is a dice-roll mechanic where the game chooses if you get hit or not. Some people might hate it, others might love it. That is why with the DH class you got a skill called 'Evade'

Raide

Yeah, D3 360! Gunna Monk you up and down. Punching yo Heart till it splodes!

Kinda liking the controls so far. Dodge stuff is cool for smashing up barrels and damaging enemies a bit. Direct control also feels damn good and mashing buttons on the pad for combat feels better than mashing the mouse buttons over and over.

Eojay

Neo Member

Yep. It becomes a bigger deal at endgame though when all your good gear takes tens of thousands of gold to repair, especially since there's no auction house to just buy gold on now.

Arjen

Yep. It becomes a bigger deal at endgame though when all your good gear takes tens of thousands of gold to repair, especially since there's no auction house to just buy gold on now.

Thanks, yeah that sounds annoying.
Regarding loot in co-op, it's not like Borderlands is it? Where all the loot is shared across players? My buddy got different stuff when we were playing together.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
This is not true at all. I was a kiting wizard for the hardest period of the PC version (pre-Nerf Inferno, pre-1.03), and that simply was not the case. High latency changes stuff, but when it works, it works.

What the poster above you most likely had in mind was that dodge rolls do this: even if you escape a hit, whether you are damaged by it or not is determined randomly. That sucks, admittedly. Even always getting hit is a better option than randomizing it, imho.

I did some kiting in the launch period inferno as well, but that was because it was the only way we could take down quite a few elite packs back then (wizard, in Whimseyshire farming quite a bit). It worked sometimes, but mostly didn't for reasons stated. Wasn't ideal, very slow actually but a way to kill some packs that were otherwise unkillable. Lots of deaths; some animations/attacks simply cannot be outrun and when kiting you're depending on the fact that attacks will not reach you.

In the current state kiting is not very viable in higher Monster Powers, much less optimal. Possible? Maybe. Maybe I shouldn't have said not an option, but enemies, and especially packs, have way too many HP. I'm currently solo farming MP9 with my wizard and wouldn't be able to do half that with any kiting build.

Really considering double dipping, as I enjoyed the core fundamental gameplay PC, but the online nonsense drove me fucking mental. Hopefully they learn from this experience, and never go down that road again.

Vol5

Really surprised at how fun this. I played the Act 1 demo on PC and wasn't all that enthralled to be honest. Maybe playing on pad gives the game an extra dimension.

How does this play on PS3?

Is that the best console version? I'd like to wait for the PS4 version but I've tasted the game on PC at a friend's and got fiendishly addicted and can feel it calling me, demanding to know why I'd wait 3 months.

I have a couple of questions though. Can you customise the controller setup? Do the menu systems work well? Does locking on with the right analog feel wierd as opposed to just clicking on enemies on PC?

Don't know if its been brought up but has anyone else's order on toysrus been put on hold for Special Order: Awaiting inventory so I am not even sure ill get the preorder items. It gives me a chance to cancel but amazon no longer lists the preorder items anymore so I am not sure I want to go that rout .

Yoshichan

Oh admirable Yoshi, master of all that is Diablo:

What version and why? :) This since I assume you have a firm grasp on the differences. I have no time to examine them myself (break over soon), but will investigate later on.
Like Raide my monk buddy said above me: go with the version that your friends will be playing it on. The difference is very small.

V_Arnold

I did some kiting in the launch period inferno as well, but that was because it was the only way we could take down quite a few elite packs back then (wizard, in Whimseyshire farming quite a bit). It worked sometimes, but mostly didn't for reasons stated. Wasn't ideal, very slow actually but a way to kill some packs there were otherwise unkillable. Lots of deaths; some animations/attacks simply cannot be outrun and when kiting you're depending on the fact that attacks will not reach you.

In the current state kiting is not very viable in higher Monster Powers, much less optimal. Possible? Maybe. Maybe I shouldn't have said not an option, but enemies, and especially packs, have way too many HP. I'm currently solo farming MP9 with my wizard and wouldn't be able to do half that with any kiting build.

Yeah, you are right in that it is neither optimal nor particularly fun, but back than, it was the only option if you were undergeared. My point is that I have stick with this: it is true that some animations/attacks are binary, but many others are not. There are plenty of moderate/long casting-attacking animations that can be dodged even at the very last moment before they hit. An argument can be made that there should be 0% binary attacks in a game like this, I am fine however with the 5-10% of the attacks being like that.

Dodges, however, turn all attacks into binary attacks, 50% of the time.Bah :D

Yoshichan

arent there like 4 more items you can start with on PS3? theres only the infernal helm on 360
Yeah, but I found myself switching them out pretty fast. The 25% experience boost from the helm is great but both versions gets it.

Robin64

Yeah, I switched the helm out when I got an awesome yellow wizard one at about level 8. It too had some exp bonus, so I didn't lose all the helm's benefit.

Drame

Normal run done. Got 3 legendaries from you-know-who at the end of act 4.

Time for a quick break then off to Nightmare round.

Robin64

Guys, the Journey item leaves behind a trail of the notes that you sing in Journey. The white symbols. IT'S AWESOME.

Yoshichan

Normal run done. Got 3 legendaries from you-know-who at the end of act 4.

Time for a quick break then off to Nightmare round.
:lol
Guys, the Journey item leaves behind a trail of the notes that you sing in Journey. The white symbols. IT'S AWESOME.
I saw that too! O_O

Lord Phol

Game sounds pretty fun, will get my hand on it later today (hopefully). Only thing I'm not liking is the (almost) no penalty for dying and infinite low cd respawning in co-op mode. The rolls is also just a weird design choice, I would rather have it be more reliable with a cooldown or something, or just make it harder to pull off.

Raide

Game sounds pretty fun, will get my hand on it later today (hopefully). Only thing I'm not liking is the (almost) no penalty for dying and infinite low cd respawning in co-op mode. The rolls is also just a weird design choice, I would rather have it be more reliable with a cooldown or something, or just make it harder to pull off.

At lower levels and difficulties, it is not really a penalty. Once you get high, dieing over and over in the same place starts to get super expensive. :D

Yeah, the rolls are a little odd. Taking some time to adjust to them during combat.

Really surprised at how fun this. I played the Act 1 demo on PC and wasn't all that enthralled to be honest. Maybe playing on pad gives the game an extra dimension.

I also played the Act 1 demo back when it came out and I agree that it's way better with a controller. Only got to play a small bit last night, but I can tell this is going to get it's hooks in me and I'm going to end up putting some late nights into it.

Top Bottom