• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So what classes are looking to be OP for season 3? DH like always?

Like dahbomb said, it's hard to tell simply because of the volume of changes as well as the fact that not many people tested the PTR after the last round of changes, all the bugfixes, and the resets. Barb and DH are looking very strong, but so are WD and Monk. I'd say crusaders are probably the worst off, but that's probably just a symptom of them having the smallest playerbase and the least amount of testers/theorycrafters.

Mannercookie did clear grift 59 with a new barb holy build (which is the one big outlier), but that was with close to perfect PTR gear, and he also abused a bug that allowed mirinae (smite gem) to proc a billion times. That will probably be fixed, but knowing blizzard, they'll slip in some stealth nerf first, then fix the bugs later lol.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Sucks the delays have started coming in

Hopefully it will be up in 30 minutes

But going by the past... i expect them to be done in 3 hours

I missed the dam sale on Diablo 3 and i'm interested but still on the fence on the game, I'm kinda flaky when it comes to games and don't want to make the investment if its not what I'm looking for.

Played Diablo 3 base game on a friends account, I was mildly amused but mostly I was bored cause of the difficulty (played normal)
Wondering if now with the changes made after the expansion like removing the difficulty modes, will I expect something engaging. Looking to Attack-move, play with positioning and dodging telegraphed attacks while fearing for my life, kinda like playing a moba but for single player. Don't know if I would find that in this game. Comments about the difficulty would be appreciated.

Patch out but new season not up till Friday. LIMBOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Non-season seems so pointless with the speed at which you can gear up. Unless you're like, super-constrained for gaming time. But at that point I don't know if Diablo is even the right genre for you.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
F+R is too stronk

Can't do range monk with it but melee dishes out HUGE damage

Its beating out the damage that SoJ and Zwei add

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
We have all the open spots in the world on Community and a few spots open in the Clan as well. I'm willing to let in anyone who posts here in the thread.

You know, my current clan is incredibly quiet and boring, no one ever says nothin. I think I'd like back in the GAF clan for USeast, I miss the GAF people who seemed much more into the game than my current clan.

Mengy#1287, I'd like an invite back into the GAF clan please!

Sober

Didn't really get into playing the first season with a seasonal character, skipped the second. I might want to jump into the third.

How are people managing their character slots, especially when their seasonal characters get demoted back down to non-seasonal? Not sure if I want to reroll a class I already have played to the cap or fill in the rest of my classes (haven't played them all to 70 yet)?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Didn't really get into playing the first season with a seasonal character, skipped the second. I might want to jump into the third.

How are people managing their character slots, especially when their seasonal characters get demoted back down to non-seasonal? Not sure if I want to reroll a class I already have played to the cap or fill in the rest of my classes (haven't played them all to 70 yet)?

I deleted my season 1 toons, but I can't come to delete my extra lvl 70 monk yet, considering I still have lvl 1 toons on my account I can still swap out...

evilalien

Mannercookie did clear grift 59 with a new barb holy build (which is the one big outlier), but that was with close to perfect PTR gear, and he also abused a bug that allowed mirinae (smite gem) to proc a billion times. That will probably be fixed, but knowing blizzard, they'll slip in some stealth nerf first, then fix the bugs later lol.

They pulled Mortick's Brace so a Barb is not getting close to 59 anymore.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Artanisix

Let's not kid ourselves, that bracer was beyond OP.

Sure they should have compromised and given us true barb players another item, but come on, just go down the list:

3400% weapon damage as Fire to all enemies within 15 yards every cast
50% increased damage
Critical Hits have a % chance to deal 300% weapon damage in an AOE
50% damage intake reduction
5364 Life per Fury Spent

All for one bracer? And with IK, these buffs would have a 100% uptime?

Yeah, you'd have to be dumb and blind if you thought this was balanced.

MrDaravon

Yeah same here; I personally just really dislike how Barbs play, so I knew everyone was talking about them being OP for 2.2 but hadn't looked into why at all. That item seems fucking broooooooooooooooooken. It's really dumb as hell that they decided to pull it out as 2.2 went live, and I imagine as a result probably most/all PTR builds were tested around it....so what was the point of PTR then for Barbs?

Dahbomb

Without that item, Barbs are going to be a lot worse as both IK and the WW set were number tweaked around the existence of that item. Barring the Smite glitch, Barbs were performing on par with other classes... now they will probably lag behind.

Jedi2016

Let's not kid ourselves, that bracer was beyond OP.

Sure they should have compromised and given us true barb players another item, but come on, just go down the list:

3400% weapon damage as Fire to all enemies within 15 yards every cast
50% increased damage
Critical Hits have a % chance to deal 300% weapon damage in an AOE
50% damage intake reduction
5364 Life per Fury Spent

All for one bracer? And with IK, these buffs would have a 100% uptime?

Yeah, you'd have to be dumb and blind if you thought this was balanced.
Fuck balance, I just want the awesome.. lol.

'Bout to jump in to see how the new IK set plays.

evilalien

Without that item, Barbs are going to be a lot worse as both IK and the WW set were number tweaked around the existence of that item. Barring the Smite glitch, Barbs were performing on par with other classes... now they will probably lag behind.

This exactly. IK only gives a 100% damage bonus now. Compare that to other class sets like Marauders, Tal Rasha's, Unhallowed Essence, Roland's, SWK etc. That Bracer was OP as fuck and to bring Barbs in line, they toned down the sets, but now it is gone and the sets are unchanged.

Dahbomb

Also you can have 100% up time on WotB without needing IK set. What really makes IK set worth using is the 100% damage increase which is multiplicative and applies to ALL of your damage sources (even procs from legendary items or gems).

That is also why it's better to use IK set for WW Barb than the WW set...

Raticus79

Hmm, I bet they'll change it to give a single rune. Wonder which one they'd go with... maybe the damage reduction?

Firemind

Also you can have 100% up time on WotB without needing IK set. What really makes IK set worth using is the 100% damage increase which is multiplicative and applies to ALL of your damage sources (even procs from legendary items or gems).

That is also why it's better to use IK set for WW Barb than the WW set...
But WW gives 500% to Rend. :(

Artanisix

"Also you can have 100% up time on WotB without needing IK set. What really makes IK set worth using is the 100% damage increase which is multiplicative and applies to ALL of your damage sources (even procs from legendary items or gems).

That is also why it's better to use IK set for WW Barb than the WW set..."

Yes, you can have 100% uptime on WotB using obsid ring but then you lose focus/restraint.

Firemind

Which is still better on an IK set as that 2 PC bonus will do 100% more damage (so double the damage) when combined with IK. So if you want to make a Rend build then you also need 6 piece IK.
That is actually very sound. Is it possible to have 6pc IK and 4pc WW? I do like the 40% DR in HC. Don't tell me I need the Boulder Breaker...

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

yep the discussion isn't whether the item was "op" or wasn't, sure it was if you compare it to a lot of other items. the problem is all the ptr testing and tuning was based around mortick's, now you yank that at the very last minute (with no tesing) and suddenly IK and the WW set look like complete ass.

I was having a blast theorycrafting a hota/SS IK build that could maybe tackle early 50s GRIFTS, and now that's just dead. Looks like raekor's is back, and IK + 3 WW can maybe still do 50-53, either way, it's pretty damn underwhelming.

Fuck balance, I just want the awesome.. lol.

'Bout to jump in to see how the new IK set plays.

Also this lol. It's fucking diablo, not wow arena. Everyone wants to feel OP and awesome and mortick's gave that feeling. All my s3 hype is pretty much dead. I might still play barb, but seriously considering playing wizard or DH this time around (and this is a lifetime barb player that hasn't changed "mains" at all in the last 3 years).

Artanisix

"suddenly IK and the WW set look like complete ass."

rolling my eyes.

Witch Doctors and Crusaders have it far, far worse than Barb.

Dahbomb

That is actually very sound. Is it possible to have 6pc IK and 4pc WW? I do like the 40% DR in HC. Don't tell me I need the Boulder Breaker...
You need Boulder Breaker but it's actually decent because it buffs COTA damage now.

Set up would be Weapon, Belt, Helm, Gloves, Boots IK w/ Shoulders, Pants and Chest be WW combined with RorG.

On the Monks, Inna's 6 PC is garbage, that was figured out a long time ago in PTR. Inna's is basically a support set due to 2 PC bonus. They didn't change the 6 PC in PTR. If they buff the damage done by Mystic Allies to be competitive with 4 PC SWK then everyone will run 6 PC Inna's with 4 PC SWK and they know that.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
"suddenly IK and the WW set look like complete ass."

rolling my eyes.

Witch Doctors and Crusaders have it far, far worse than Barb.

Can't speak on those classes since I don't play them extensively. Regardless, "SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS IT WORSE" isn't a very compelling argument for destroying a multitude of builds and hype with one last minute change and 0 testing. All the PTR testing and tuning was based around Mortick's. I was excited to play a competitive HOTA and SS build and that dream is pretty much dead until who knows with this dev team, maybe season 10.

Some sort of compromise where Mortick's gave one of the 5 runes would have salvaged this whole mess.

Baliis

Raiment = not fun at all. Meh.

I like it more than bells, but then I like raekor so that's not surprising. Think I'll play WD this season though, haven't really played one seriously since I happened to have a full jade set + furnace in S1 and screwed around with it.

Dahbomb

Raiment = not fun at all. Meh.
Pretty much. It's effective as hell though.

Basically the PTR feedback for the Raiment went something like this:

First pass:

"2 pc bonus is great but the other bonuses suck! No point in getting 6 piece!"

2nd pass: They nerf 2 pc bonus and swap around the 4 pc and 6 pc bonus

"Thanks for killing Generator builds for Monks Blizzard! The Dashing Strike still is not better than SWK at all and it's super janky".

3rd pass: "So we doubled it" damage of Dashing Strike and made it less janky

"It's still boring as fuck despite doing good single target damage"

4th pass : "We didn't think the Raiment set was meaty enough... so now you do 12500% damage on Dashing Strike!"

"It's still boring as fuck despite doing good damage"

Basically they kept upping the damage of Dashing Strike until it came to the point where it was outperforming SWK + Inna + Gungdo gear.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
https://twitter.com/_JohnYang/status/585596552846114820:
diablo dev said:
@Venaliter @DeadsetGaming Enabling a single rune probably would've been the most reasonable change.

https://twitter.com/_JohnYang/status/585595360770404353:
diablo dev said:
@Akyrotv This was the preferred alternative to cutting the item completely, but it was too late in the patch cycle to make string changes.

Blizz pls, I just want to play HOTA/SS with IK and they completely rely on the damage reduction rune :'(.

Dahbomb

Have they even given an official reason as to why they excluded it at the last moment? Seems like such a ridiculous thing to do when they had time to do so in PTR (when that's the whole point of PTR).

It's like they saw the Mannercookie video, freaked out because they couldn't figure out a way to patch out the bug and decided to take the easy way out and just remove the item altogether.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's like they saw the Mannercookie video, freaked out because they couldn't figure out a way to patch out the bug and decided to take the easy way out and just remove the item altogether.

Pretty much this I think.

They freaked that said particular barb build was going to potentially hit GR 60 (even w/o the bug according to mannercookie). The ideal of course is to fix that particular barb build, because HOTA/SS and all the other fun builds were hovering at 52. So in order to bring the holy build down to 52, they had to bring all the other fun builds down to the 40s... which is the worst way to do it sadly. Most of these builds just need access to the dmg reduction rune from Mortick's because they aren't WW and thus don't benefit from having 3 piece WW to get the non-unity damage reduction.

Raticus79

Ok, the /claninvite sort of works, but it looks like the player has to be online. Getting closer, but still doesn't quite do it

Jedi2016

I didn't realize how much I was relying on Raekor's for Fury gen, I suddenly feel resource starved with only IK. My CDR isn't where it needs to be for perma-Wrath, but I can easily pop it at almost every elite, at which point they melt in seconds.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I didn't realize how much I was relying on Raekor's for Fury gen, I suddenly feel resource starved with only IK. My CDR isn't where it needs to be for perma-Wrath, but I can easily pop it at almost every elite, at which point they melt in seconds.

Yeah you 100% need bul-kathos swords or the physical ancients rune to maintain fury with IK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom