• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats a hota build?

Hammer of the Ancients, barb stuff. It's the new hot stuff for endgame I believe, made possible in large part due to kanai letting you cube one of the hota legendary and rorg or something so you can make the build. Only very quickly read about it, don't have much interest in it.

Woah it's starting in europe before the US
disapprove.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Of course it does!

ZenaxPure

Hammer of the Ancients, barb stuff. It's the new hot stuff for endgame I believe, made possible in large part due to kanai letting you cube one of the hota legendary and rorg or something so you can make the build. Only very quickly read about it, don't have much interest in it.

Nah, you cube the furnace still cause the best part of the HoTA legendary weapon is a blue stat (+40% HoTA damage) which can't be cubed (lol barbarian legendaries). RoRG isn't needed either thanks to the IK set having so many pieces. The thing making it possible is the new bracers which are a 3x damage increase/50% increased attack speed to HoTA and the buffed IK set (which is another 3.5x damage increase on top of the bracers).

Question is how does it compare to WW?

Damage-wise? They're neck and neck it seems. Highest barb on the solo leaderboard right now is a HoTA barb that cleared GR 67 but GR 66 is a mix of WW and HoTA. Also not related to those two there is a random Rend barbarian at GR 65 lol, so that's a thing. The only thing in seasons that could change this is the legendary gem but it is to early to say for sure. Otherwise both are looking good.

Dahbomb

Monks also have a pretty close power level builds now in between Generator builds and Uliana build. Don't know how strong Raiment is compared to those but that can still push past 60 (R6 should be 3rd best now).

Nah, you cube the furnace still cause the best part of the HoTA legendary weapon is a blue stat (+40% HoTA damage) which can't be cubed (lol barbarian legendaries). RoRG isn't needed either thanks to the IK set having so many pieces. The thing making it possible is the new bracers which are a 3x damage increase/50% increased attack speed to HoTA and the buffed IK set (which is another 3.5x damage increase on top of the bracers).

Damage-wise? They're neck and neck it seems. Highest barb on the solo leaderboard right now is a HoTA barb that cleared GR 67 but GR 66 is a mix of WW and HoTA. Also not related to those two there is a random Rend barbarian at GR 65 lol, so that's a thing. The only thing in seasons that could change this is the legendary gem but it is to early to say for sure. Otherwise both are looking good.

Thought you had to cube the bracers so you could get 2 set stuff with rorg and still have focus and restraint, but I just read stuff quickly so it probably said something else.

ZenaxPure

Which Hota build? I love HOTA :3

You can just e-stalk people now using the view hero details button on the leaderboard. Can find someone there for more details on what people are doing. I doubt much will change in the build gear/skill wise from what is on the leaderboard right now but never say never I guess.

Monks also have a pretty close power level builds now in between Generator builds and Uliana build. Don't know how strong Raiment is compared to those but that can still push past 60 (R6 should be 3rd best now).

Yeah there are Monks at GR66 using Raiment so it still seems pretty legit. It's only been a few days as well so it could probably go higher but everyone will be focused on the SSS build on seasons so it probably won't reach its full potential if I had to guess.

Xanathus

Who cares? HotA looks much cooler than WW.

Fuck standing in one spot and hitting enemies over and over, spin to win is so much more enjoyable to play.

I guess if they're neck and neck then I'll continue to aim for WW but HoTA is probably just as easy to obtain the items for in season.

Nymerio

Can't wait to try the Shenlong build on my monk. Cyclone Strike is my favourite skill in the game and any build that uses that has my approval.

Kuntz

I had invite to NeoGAF and NeoGAF Europe clans, accepted Europe one, but then got thinking how active that clan is?

More people are playing since the patch but I still have to get an answer to my "hello gaf, how are you?".

Also, we need hardcore characters.

Robin64

I have a hardcore wizard that I play, but for season I play softcore. Can't be doing with seeing season progress erased so easily.

Firemind

So, I managed to finish a GR lvl 58 with my Barb, which isn't anything special with a HotA build it seems, but overall, I may be burned out already. Upgrades are mostly possible if I get ancient versions of my items but while it's possible to farm for that now with the new bounty mats, it's still a considerable grind, unless you've got a good 4 man group at the ready. Out of ~11 reforging attempts I got one ancient item. 55, so roughly 7 complete act runs.

It feels like extreme rerolling with simply much higher stakes. If you lose, the cruelty of RNG is just the more apparent.

Either way, it's good to have these new options now. However, I personally have played way too much D3 in the past for these updates to light my enthusiasm for more than a couple days.
Why not play seasons? It's the only reason to play this damn game nowadays.

Zelias

Banned
Decided to leave my current (small) clan of friends as none of them are playing season. Can I get an invite to the EU GAF clan? Btag is Mewn#2332

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The season starts just in time for me to get home from work, do a little bit of exercising, then sit down at the computer with a beer. Aww yiss.

Tenebrous

Already bored. Torment X is too easy, and I still don't care about ladders or seasons. Not bothered much with the cube yet, but meh, it just makes things easier so there's no rush for me to do so.

w4ttsup

What is everyone doing to farm Death's Breaths?

I created a speed (barb) for T6-T7 that includes the Sage set.

Basically just running normal rifts, killing the RG, and repeat.

Anyone have a faster method?

Already bored. Torment X is too easy, and I still don't care about ladders or seasons. Not bothered much with the cube yet, but meh, it just makes things easier so there's no rush for me to do so.

TX is not supposed to be extra hard
You have grifts if you want a real challenge

mileS

Leveling tips for seasonal. (via Diablofans) Don't have to follow these to a T but if you want to level fast there are some great tips here!

-Adventure Mode is always more efficient than Campaign for fast leveling!
-Hard is the ideal difficulty to start - Expert is very inefficient and Master / Torment should only be attempted when overgeared.
-Playing in a 4-man party is always more efficient than doing it solo.
-To add to the party bonus, bonus experience from gear is shared on Patch 2.3!
-Right as you start, steal your Follower's weapon as it's far superior to your starting one.
-If you're running Solo remember to recruit a Follower as you start playing - the Scoundrel can probably deal the most damage early on.
-If possible, prepare before the Season starts rather than during leveling - know your class beforehand and likely skill choices (as you reach certain levels).
-Give preference to AoE skills and killing big packs of enemies, not wasting time with stragglers.
-Minimize downtime! Don't waste too much time analyzing skill and item choices, wandering around towns and deciding what you want to do next -
JUST DO IT
!
-A "Boss Bounty" can give you a Diabolic chest full of Rare items - keep in mind it must be an actual Act Bounty and not just killing the boss!
-Halls of Agony Level 3 is considered one of the more efficient areas of the game - consistent density, easy mobs, multiple Cursed Chest locations.
-Cursed Bounties are the best ones - they spawn a ton of monsters and upon completion grant another considerable boost of experience.
-Rifts have higher Legendary drop ratio but their density and difficulty is RNG dependent - a low density, high difficulty Rift may slow your progress considerably.
-Some players favor Rifts because the increased Legendary drop ratio means more Forgotten Souls at level 70 and Bloodshards.
-Items found should almost always be salvaged, as the gold granted by them is minor and materials will probably be your limiting factor on level 70.
-Puzzle Rings and Bovine Bardiches should be saved for Level 70 when you have Kanai's Cube - they open a portal to Greed's Realm (Legendaries!) and the Cow Rift (experience!) respectively.
-At Level 6, check Town vendors for Rings - bonus attack-speed and damage are the best stats!
-At Level 10, check Town vendors for Amulets - bonus attack-speed and damage are again preferred!
-When choosing items and stats, always try to maximize your Damage! Survivability isn't an issue when playing on Hard (maybe in hardcore and on higher levels) - invest heavily in a good Weapon!
-Leoric's Crown used to be a guaranteed drop on Campaign. Switching to Campaign mode at around level 17 and killing the Skeleton King is a huge boost in experience gain if you can get it. Players have been reporting that the chances of getting it increase at levels 20-22.
-Rubies should always be the choice for socketed Helmets and Weapons!
-If someone on your party finds a Cain's Set, it should be crafted for the bonus experience!
-You can level the Blacksmith independent of your character's level, and crafting weapons with reduced level requirement when you reach Levels 45-60 could be a huge boost to damage. However, keep in mind the affix is somewhat rare.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Isn't leo crown guaranteed in adventure as well ?
You'd have to do all the quests leading up to skeleton king then ?

It's still guaranteed, but you need to be level 20. (someone found this out with recent testing after that guide was posted)

Whoa, whoa. hota is viable again?! What's the hota build? I was planning on going Monk or WD, but if you're telling me I can make a barb that doesn't have to spin to win and be viable...gat damn!

Quoting for new page:
Here's a video of the zDPS regen monk in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnIj7rCJero

Build guide: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/57533-quin69-gr74-healing-monk-group-only

HOTA barb is looking pretty solid for DPS there too. Might go for that instead of Uliana monk. Still haven't settled on my main DPS class.

Other build guides: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3ih0hn/deadsets_guides_to_23/
I'll just copy it here since this is a really good overview.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Deadset's build guides:

BARBARIAN

Whirlwind Bul’Kathos
The heir of the top performer in S3, this guide is more evolutionary than anything else, properly reflecting the power spike from Kanai’s Cube and Bane of the Stricken. The recommendations reflect the newfound power of Area Damage, so intricacies can still be found – but to put it simply: if a better, meaner Whirlwind build is what you’re after, this is it.

Rend Immortal King
In 2.2, Rend was often maligned as a tacked on oddity in Wrath of the Wastes, but by implementing the reworked Immortal King and dipping your toe into the WotW bonuses, a true Rend playstyle is allowed to emerge in Patch 2.3. Bloodbaths, AoEs and spreading DoTs are the name of the game for this build.

Hammer of the Ancients Immortal King
A vanilla favorite, Hammer of the Ancients was long regarded as a beginner skill in Reaper of Souls. With the flexible goodness of the Immortal King set and tailored legendaries like Fury of the Ancients, Bracers of the First Men and Gavel of Judgment, Hammer of the Ancients propels to the endgame and proves Barbarians are not just one trick AoE ponies.

CRUSADER

Blessed Hammer Seeker of the Light
Tugging at some nice Diablo 2 nostalgia, the Hammerdin playstyle returns through the Seeker of the Light set. If you’re a fan of screen-filling projectiles, mid-range fighting and the general ‘mage knight’ feel, this build might be right up your alley.

DEMON HUNTER

Multishot Unhallowed Essence
You can tell John Yang is a DH main not only by the name of the new bow, but its OP affixes as well – almost singlehandedly carrying the Multishot build into endgame viability. :p If you enjoyed the speedfarm playstyle in 2.2 and wanted it to work for progression, or you’d simply like a traditional ranged spray-and-pray, look into this.

Natalya Rain of Vengeance
A lightning variant emerged during the 2.3 PTR, and many liked and adopted it for the convenience of the huge AoE. If you ever wanted to play a tankier Demon Hunter that can take a hit and punish back, now is the best time to try the Natalya set – Hatred management is easier than ever.

MONK

Uliana’s Strategem Seven-Sided Strike
One of the coolest looking builds in 2.3, and surprisingly intricate with its critless setup, Uliana can easily win you over – but you have to invest time in Season 4! Hinging on the power of Lion’s Claw, this explosions-heavy build finally brings Seven-Sided Strike into viable territory.

Shenlong’s Crippling Wave
Simplicity can be devastatingly effective, as proven by this generator-only build. With its powers elevated sky-high, Crippling Wave will pummel your foes as you balance the Spirit generation-dumping mechanic of the reworked Shenlong’s fist weapons.

WITCH DOCTOR

Carnevil DoD Zunimassa
One of the biggest beneficiaries of Kanai’s Cube, Carnevil Witch Doctors are well on their way to show what the class is capable of. If summons, devastating poison damage and easier pet management sound like your thing, take a look at one of the top performers in the PTR.

Acid Cloud Helltooth
Helltooth is a thorn in the Witch Doctor loot table no more, as this top-to-bottom rework now adds an endgame playstyle Witch Doctors sorely needed. If you ever wanted to whittle down your foes with crippling DoTs and watch them corrode as they try to approach you, look no further.

WIZARD

Archon Vyr
Another D3 classic, the Archon makes a mean return with the rework to the underdeveloped Vyr set. With a unique power up – unleash –repeat playstyle, the new Archon Wizard brings melee-range destruction to a new level. If spellcasting right into the thick of the fight seems unthinkable for your squishy Wizard, this is the build that will make you reconsider

I def saw a few videos of people doing low GR 60s with a SS build during the PTR but yeah not seeing a lot of people talk about it right now. Oh well, personally SS doesn't interest me too much as it has always felt like a less interesting HoTA to me (as it doesn't share the same cool crit mechanic HoTA has) and since most of the Barb skill set is centered around melee abilities you kinda just have less skills you can take alongside it.

SS is a skill that needs its own set imo. Preferably something based around SS and avalanche since that is the one single ranged attack (that isn't a spender) that we have. Just makes too much sense.

Yeah, I started up a thread about it and consensus is that it isn't up to par. https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Barbarians/comments/3ini60/hows_seismic_slam_doing_compared_to_hota/

I haven't played the PC version in a white. Im going to start back up tonight for the season. Is Wizard good\decent enough for a solo player? Its the only class I really feel like playing atm.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's still guaranteed, but you need to be level 20. (someone found this out with recent testing after that guide was posted)

Quoting for new page:

Yeah, I started up a thread about it and consensus is that it isn't up to par. https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3Barbarians/comments/3ini60/hows_seismic_slam_doing_compared_to_hota/

Thanks for the info as always, Raticus. I thought my mind was made up with monk, but I looooooove hota. Gonna have to think about this one more.

Oh, that's right. New season starts today.

Have fun with that while I'm at work... and then dealing with life.... and then having maybe 3 hours to play tonight.

This is why I don't do seasons :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom