• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

DeathGuise

Any thoughts on the reports that it's bricking 3080 Ti's?
I have one and early today when I was playing, I lost video and the fans kicked up to what sounded like max. I immediately did a hard shutdown and everything seems okay but I have not yet tried the beta again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not in the early beta, so I'll test it out next week.

But from the beta, I can tell I like the grittier darker graphics, but is the gameplay good? Is it more of the same as other Diablos? Or are there key gameplay differences giving it a different feel.

I have nothing wrong with spamming attacks for loot, but just wondering.

Esca

Got to level 19 I think today with the sorceress. She's like a wave of freaking destruction. I have chain lighting at 6/5 and one shot of that will insta kill 5 normal mobs and I use hydra with the 4 head perk and that thing shreds. I run around in circles from the moon saying fast as fast can be you'll never catch me and then they die. I'm going to mess around with more builds and see how she feels then.

Going to try rogue next.
The world is huge. I stop the main quest and only did a couple of side quests otherwise just ran around exploring doing events but only doing little of each thing to get a feel. I'll have plenty of time to play this when my time spent will actually be saved. I look forward to what other goodies hopefully show up later in the game.

My only real complaint I've had is and this is bad cause I have a bad memory and don't remember most things for long but I've noticed how repetitive the it is in dungeons you go through from quest to finding in the map. They have very few tile sets so the longer they make that dungeon the more and more it felt like deja vu to me and had me questioning if I got turned around sometimes.

As someone who only played Diablo 3 and was holding off on a D2 sale, I’m enjoying the beta a lot. Will definitely be a launch week pickup.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s a beta, but the lag on these servers suck. You could be dishing out a lot of damage, the game comes to a halt for a moment, and then proceeds to calculate whatever you pressed. That’s awful when you have exploding enemies or you aren’t sure what damage the enemy will hit you for. I had it happen during a co-op session for like 10 minutes. Had an issue joining the game. The character got locked in the church while the 2nd character wasn’t even signed in anymore. Had the main character disappear. Other than that couch co-op has been enjoyable. Restarted a character tonight. I wonder if having all these players in the world also screws up the instances.

What are you talking about? ive been playing with a pad all day. No couch tho ill give you that.
Ultimate edition comes with a couch.

Srsly tough, I think the native controller support on PC is my favourite feature of the game. Much, much better for me than playing this with mouse/keyboard (I get my hands cramped from that shit). It works absolutely flawless.

clarky

Gold Member
Ultimate edition comes with a couch.

Srsly tough, I think the native controller support on PC is my favourite feature of the game. Much, much better for me than playing this with mouse/keyboard (I get my hands cramped from that shit). It works absolutely flawless.
Yeah same here, can't play M+K for longer than half hour with out my hands shitting the bed.

God send, works really well.

Last edited:
I have 32gb of ram, 5600x cpu, 3070 GPU and the game is on a nvme and I can't play with high textures or I get stuttering. Definitely a vram leak issue
I'm playing on a 13900K, RTX 4090 with 32GB RAM (W11) and I can confirm this game definitely has moments of stuttering. My rig hits 144fps at 4K "stable" with everything on max, but there's plenty of moments where, for no apparent reason, the frames drop to like 50-60 and you can really feel that. Also shit looking textures and very noticeable texture reloading everywhere. Also VRAM usage can go beyond 18GB.

DryvBy

I'm not in the early beta, so I'll test it out next week.

But from the beta, I can tell I like the grittier darker graphics, but is the gameplay good? Is it more of the same as other Diablos? Or are there key gameplay differences giving it a different feel.

I have nothing wrong with spamming attacks for loot, but just wondering.

It's Division and Destiny on top of Diablo. If you like that kind of open world non-stop sponge fighting in a Diablo game, it's terrific. If you like Diablo, skip?

I posted before that the game is so dang broken that thanks to difficulty scaling, you can keep level 1 gear on (never changing it) and you'll actually be fine. Loot is cosmetic only outside of the bonuses you can get. It's the most broken ARPG I've ever played.

Cyberpunkd

I posted before that the game is so dang broken that thanks to difficulty scaling, you can keep level 1 gear on (never changing it) and you'll actually be fine. Loot is cosmetic only outside of the bonuses you can get. It's the most broken ARPG I've ever played.
I don’t know what game you are playing, but that is certainly not the case on the higher difficulty settings in the beta. Especially dungeon bosses for aspects are really hard, I died with my Barb and only managed to finish the first dungeon yesterday with a Sorc.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
After a slightly rough first go of the world boss, the second round went well enough to get a third one my teleporting to town and back to get a different instance.

Second instance though, wow that group had no hope before I showed up. Boss had 2/3 to 3/4 health at half time. Group all trying to sit back and tap away.

Nah nah, get in there and use the safe area under her legs and pound away.

High single DPS rogue doing the business.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Got to level 25 with the Sorceress and started exploring, found some strongholds. Started witih Frozen Orb + Blizzard and changed Orb to Hydra. Got some nice legendary powers that made me very strong by adding Frozen Shield. Most of the time I can just stand there watching my 4 headed Hydra (+1 from item) and stacked Blizzard doing their thing while Shield takes care of enemy hits.
Played on the DualSense in my last session and feel no need to go back to mouse/keyboard.

The thing with frozen orb, either you hit them with the explosion or it's not worth the cast.

Explosion double dips on damage and has a 25% chance to freeze. Use blizzard to slow them, get into position a bit further back (dodge) then orb them. In dungeons you can take advantadge of walls and pillars since orb will explode when it hits an obstacle. Orb explosion distance is somewhere between half screen to 75% if you get mobbed, blizzard twice (it stacks), ice shield, spam your basic skill - that's for fast enemies, for slow enemies tp away and finish with orb. Frost ultimate is nice for when weakeish enemies mass rush you in tight spaces, but if facing strong foes like multibosses or strong boss adds (like the nostrava tormentors) all you're doing is tickling them while letting them surround you.

The big problem that frosty witch has is that both orb and blizzard are expensive so you have to fill the gaps with your basic attack and it sort of sucks. Getting one of those legos with a bonus to basic ability speed plugs your hole and makes the build rounder. The other one is that bosses do not chill and have limited freeze windows, so all bonuses on chilled/frozen enemies are useless which is an incredibly shitty design. Blizzard should allow a percentage reduced chill on bosses.

edit: I forgot this, there's a passive that gives you 3 mana per skill point... seems a waste but it's the difference between 2 orbs or 3 before you have to recharge (unless you have mana saving on items).

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Beat the world boss on first attempt. Second attempt a bunch of low level characters joined and we only had one sorc. We got it to about 35% health left. Sucked.

cormack12

Gold Member
Beat the world boss on first attempt. Second attempt a bunch of low level characters joined and we only had one sorc. We got it to about 35% health left. Sucked.
Do you think they should gate it off by level? I felt scummy getting a load of legendary legendaries like at level 20 lol

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
ok:

finished the story - check
world boss - check
soloed the 3 strongholds - check

There goes the adventures of the little frosty witch that took part in the beta.

Hardest bit was the final boss of the vampire stronghold. Still one shotted it but it was sweaty.

Last edited:

RafterXL

After playing a couple days I think, at least in the 1-25 range, Barb needs a slight buff and Sorc needs a nerf. Rogue seems to be perfectly in the middle. Sorc is actually so faceroll it's actually boring and not fun to play. It's like Vampire Survivor on a God build, you just melt everything instantly.

It's Division and Destiny on top of Diablo. If you like that kind of open world non-stop sponge fighting in a Diablo game, it's terrific. If you like Diablo, skip?

Doubt.

Game plays just like Diablo, it just has an open world, not sure where you are you are getting that people who like Diablo should skip it.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

Literally you’re the only person that has experienced this somehow. If this is true about gear, it would be the same as Anthem’s gear system before they fixed it, but I personally didn’t have this experience at all so I’m doubtful.

I loved all the other Diablo games and all of my friends are also enjoying the beta so I wouldn’t try to speak for others so definitively.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Here's a fun tip: don't even change gear in this game. Friend and I thought something felt broken and it is. Because of the scaling, you can ignore changing gear from the start and you can do level 20 content without difficulty on veteran.

This game is such a disaster.

If only there was something other than static levels that dictated power differences between you and the enemy. If only. . .hmmmmmmmm.

"Disaster" indeed.

I have 32gb of ram, 5600x cpu, 3070 GPU and the game is on a nvme and I can't play with high textures or I get stuttering. Definitely a vram leak issue

Other than a 6800XT I have the same setup and have zero issue now playing the game on Ultra. They're random stutters but less than a second and not frequent. The main issues were the network rubber banding but that's way less (if not non existent in most areas) now.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
no idea i'm max level and run like a bitch around osgar reede.

also for now i put diablo 4 below 3 and 2. above 1.
the dungeons are really fucking mobile phone level lazy.

N4qU7Xv.jpg

this is shit do not defend this...

the orange items do not feel special.
in d3 it changed my build,
in d4 it's alright but more like yellow+ not orange,
i kinda love the skill tree. demo is supposed to promote skill swapping and that shit will get punished in retail release (so i heard)
in d3 the game starts at level 70 so who knows how good d4 will get,
i can not judge the game right now.

but i can tell... how fun each class is.

Barb > sorc > rogue
It took me 20 years to realize how to manipulate and understand how the maps work in Diablo 2. Shit like "if you come down the stairs from the right" or "if the lamp downstairs is pointed at the X direction" then I know I will be facing the left wall and following it to reach level 2 Catacombs:

r4lvr7U.jpg

a1JuZk5.jpg

But hey, it's a new generation and it's all about D4's layout now: "Go into cellar -> take a left -> reach a closed door -> Go left and right and kill the minibosses -> door in middle opens up -> congrats"

Kaachan

It took me 20 years to realize how to manipulate and understand how the maps work in Diablo 2. Shit like "if you come down the stairs from the right" or "if the lamp downstairs is pointed at the X direction" then I know I will be facing the left wall and following it to reach level 2 Catacombs:

r4lvr7U.jpg

a1JuZk5.jpg

But hey, it's a new generation and it's all about D4's layout now: "Go into cellar -> take a left -> reach a closed door -> Go left and right and kill the minibosses -> door in middle opens up -> congrats"

Every D4 player's nightmare

nzG4YYy.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Every D4 player's nightmare

nzG4YYy.png
meanwhile d2 players who actually studied and learned how the algorithm works: "no worries, i gotchu fam".

ZehDon

Gold Member
... the orange items do not feel special.
in d3 it changed my build,
in d4 it's alright but more like yellow+ not orange...
That's because "Legendaries" in D4 aren't the same as the legendaries in D3. In D4, the equivalent items are "Unique" - and they're not available during the beta. They only start dropping on World Tier 3, which you need to clear the campaign to access.

DavidGzz

Do you think they should gate it off by level? I felt scummy getting a load of legendary legendaries like at level 20 lol

20 is ok, I saw a 9 and a 14. Lol. But yes, they do that for D3 and I'm sure that it will be implemented in the full game.

Last edited:
If only there was something other than static levels that dictated power differences between you and the enemy. If only. . .hmmmmmmmm.

"Disaster" indeed.

Other than a 6800XT I have the same setup and have zero issue now playing the game on Ultra. They're random stutters but less than a second and not frequent. The main issues were the network rubber banding but that's way less (if not non existent in most areas) now.
Haven't tried high since the problems Friday, I'll give it a try but there is definitely a memory leak that has to be fixed

DavidGzz

Act 1 boss was fine. Typical don’t stand in fire Blizzard mechanics. Very similar to Diablo 3 boss fights. Didn’t expect to finish the content so quickly. I’m only level 15. Guess I’ll grind dungeons and wrap up some quests so I can check out the world boss later.

How is this possible? Are you playing on base difficulty? I feel that I sure wouldn't like this as much without the vet difficulty mode.

DryvBy

Literally you’re the only person that has experienced this somehow. If this is true about gear, it would be the same as Anthem’s gear system before they fixed it, but I personally didn’t have this experience at all so I’m doubtful.

I loved all the other Diablo games and all of my friends are also enjoying the beta so I wouldn’t try to speak for others so definitively.
Why not try it instead? It doesn't take any effort to start at level 1.

Instead you'll just argue because you're in a honeymoon phase with a poor excuse of a Diablo game.

Also - are game dungeons supposed to be soloable? It there a LFG system (haven’t found it yet).
Everything in the game I imagine is soloable (except maybe on the hardest difficulties). I've been mostly playing on my own and haven't had any real trouble with the content by the time I hit level 15.

Cyberpunkd

I tried Rogue, too much like Demon Hunter in D3, pass.
Sorc specced into Ice is the ultimate crowd controller, nothing touches me. Barb is harder but I am having way more fun with him, so I will probably stick to it.
Will try Necro and a Druid next weekend.

SScorpio

Any thoughts on the reports that it's bricking 3080 Ti's?
I have one and early today when I was playing, I lost video and the fans kicked up to what sounded like max. I immediately did a hard shutdown and everything seems okay but I have not yet tried the beta again.
I've been playing on mine without issue.

From a Reddit thread I found it looks like many of the reports are with Gigabyte cards. It's possible they don't have the best power delivery and stressing them is causing them to die.

I have an EVGA hybrid so both fan and AIO water cooled. I recommend opening the GeForce control panel and globally setting a max rendered frame cap, set it to something over your monitor's refresh rate if you want. But in games that go berserk, the driver will prevent it from running away.

The other thing I recommend is undervolting. With modern CPUs and GPUs they dynamically overclock themselves and then slow down when they get too hot. With undervolting you are lowering the maximum power the card can consume. In many cases, you might lose 1-3% performance but see 25-30% less power draw. On my 3080ti, I'm undervolting and get sustained GPU clocks of 1850-1860Mhz with the temperature maxing around 70C.

I tried Rogue, too much like Demon Hunter in D3, pass.
Sorc specced into Ice is the ultimate crowd controller, nothing touches me. Barb is harder but I am having way more fun with him, so I will probably stick to it.
Will try Necro and a Druid next weekend.
Den mother with barb 😎
Had to respec as a bleeding build to beat it. The game is more challenging as a barbarian

Last edited:

DryvBy

I don’t know what game you are playing, but that is certainly not the case on the higher difficulty settings in the beta. Especially dungeon bosses for aspects are really hard, I died with my Barb and only managed to finish the first dungeon yesterday with a Sorc.

This guy isn't unknown in the Diablo scene and he has the same problem with scaling:

I've been playing on mine without issue.

From a Reddit thread I found it looks like many of the reports are with Gigabyte cards. It's possible they don't have the best power delivery and stressing them is causing them to die.

I have an EVGA hybrid so both fan and AIO water cooled. I recommend opening the GeForce control panel and globally setting a max rendered frame cap, set it to something over your monitor's refresh rate if you want. But in games that go berserk, the driver will prevent it from running away.

The other thing I recommend is undervolting. With modern CPUs and GPUs they dynamically overclock themselves and then slow down when they get too hot. With undervolting you are lowering the maximum power the card can consume. In many cases, you might lose 1-3% performance but see 25-30% less power draw. On my 3080ti, I'm undervolting and get sustained GPU clocks of 1850-1860Mhz with the temperature maxing around 70C.
my 4080 is undervolted. i'm actually getting slightly better performance than stock settings. well, i was getting higher benchmark scores undervolted compared to stock. i don't know if that translates to in game performance. i haven't bothered to check outside a couple benchmarks. one i did was cyberpunk and it was like maybe 2-3fps better but the benchmark isn't 100% representative of gameplay.

so while maintaing same performance i'm seeing about 4C cooler temps and anywhere up to 70W of power reduction! playing the Diablo IV beta my GPU doesn't go beyond 40C which is insane. my 2080 was often hitting 76-78C in games. both my 2080 and 4080 are founders edition models.

undervolting is super easy and people should give it a shot.

Tg89

I get why they have to do level scaling given the more open nature of the game, but I think that combined with the linear and very gradual power increase with gear hurts the game. No power spikes on either your end or the games difficulty, feels too flat. Hopefully that changes with end game. One of the most satisfying things in a good ARPG is when you get that game changing item and suddenly you’re wrecking shit that was problematic for you before. Here you’re just constantly getting shit that’s like a .2% power increase and it’s completely unnoticeable in practice. Compare that to something like hitting a new FCR breakpoint in D2 (yeah I know I’m a d2 mark), which is something you immediately notice in moment to moment gameplay.

Top Bottom