• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: Battlefield Bad Company will make a comeback

Taurus

Hmm BF3 felt like a successor to the BC games, so Im not sure what BC3 would bring?
Smaller scale warfare?

Or a true successor to BF2 (arcade-y style)

A new WW2 bf would be top as well!
Make a HD edition of BC2 with 64 players and I would buy it at a high price. So much more fun maps to play (Arica Harbor hardcore conquest, dang!), and the destruction was so much better. I don't understand how they could fuck up such an important feature in BF3 after BC2.

saltquu5p.jpg

David Goldfarb not working on them means they'll be better, not worse.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Make a HD edition of BC2 with 64 players and I would buy it at a high price. So much more fun maps to play (Arica Harbor hardcore conquest, dang!), and the destruction was so much better. I don't understand how they could fuck up such an important feature in BF3 after BC2.

Balance.

Compare BC2 to BF3's "end of round."

BC2 looks like the moon, which can be fun... if teams aren't lopsided. Which they generally are and means one of the teams (and I'm going with Rush here so let's say "the defenders") is going to be steamrolled from the numerous methods of punching through strong-defenses with little effort to push the game forward.

Which can be a good thing, if the defense had the ability to defend from that. But they didn't.

So DICE (rightly, IMO) knee-jerked nerfed. But they knee-jerked a little too hard to the point where the lopsided balance of Rush went from the attackers favor to the defenders favor (Metro 3rd set B, Seine first set B, Bazaar first set B. Generally the "hellrooms" that became grenade explosive spam and a little luck to get in and arm and then pray explosive spam to keep the defense out).

I'm hoping BF4 has a mix of the two, but given what I've seen from the beta... it's kinda... no. And the "Levolution"/Destruction 4.0 just isn't there in the beta which is disappointing because ground deformation is the main reason I want to play BF4. Being able to disable a tank from below. Mmmmm yes.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the best game in the entire Battlefield series if you ask me. This is mostly due to it having fully destructible buildings. For some reason that changed with BF3 and it was a huge step back.

TheSeks

By miles. I also hate what BF3 did by stealing what little left was of the remaining BC2 community. At least on PS3. I try to go back sometimes to play some games but it is almost a ghost town. :(

The same happened with BC1 to BC2. Console players don't play older titles. If you want to play BC2, get the PC version. While the community is still small (and less Rush players ;___;) there is still servers up and people playing to where you aren't at the whims of the matchmaking like the console version to find a "full" 32 player server.

hoserx

This is a fantastic development! BC and BF are two completely different kinds of games. I had a lot of fun playing BC2 multiplayer though..... maybe more than any shooter in recent memory. I won't be one of the folks who say BF3 SUX BC2 OWNZ though, because they are both pretty damn good multiplayer games.

Taurus

Balance.

Compare BC2 to BF3's "end of round."

BC2 looks like the moon, which can be fun... if teams aren't lopsided. Which they generally are and means one of the teams (and I'm going with Rush here so let's say "the defenders") is going to be steamrolled from the numerous methods of punching through strong-defenses with little effort to push the game forward.

Which can be a good thing, if the defense had the ability to defend from that. But they didn't.

So DICE (rightly, IMO) knee-jerked nerfed. But they knee-jerked a little too hard to the point where the lopsided balance of Rush went from the attackers favor to the defenders favor (Metro 3rd set B, Seine first set B, Bazaar first set B. Generally the "hellrooms" that became grenade explosive spam and a little luck to get in and arm and then pray explosive spam to keep the defense out).

I'm hoping BF4 has a mix of the two, but given what I've seen from the beta... it's kinda... no. And the "Levolution"/Destruction 4.0 just isn't there in the beta which is disappointing because ground deformation is the main reason I want to play BF4. Being able to disable a tank from below. Mmmmm yes.
I don't play rush at all, so I'm talking about hardcore mode conquest player's point of view.

Also, BC2 had much better maps to play and the variety in different tactics via better destruction physics was so much more fun. For example there are some snipers camping in a building looking at certain flag at Arica? Blow the wall open and destroy their cover -> problem solved.

I remember taking out some sniper guy in the same building with a M320 5 times in a row behind different walls. The amount of hate PMs I got from him after that... :lol:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the best game in the entire Battlefield series if you ask me. This is mostly due to it having fully destructible buildings. For some reason that changed with BF3 and it was a huge step back.
This.

TheSeks

I don't play rush at all, so I'm talking about hardcore mode conquest player's point of view.

Also, BC2 had much better maps to play and the variety in different tactics via better destruction physics was so much more fun. For example there are some snipers camping in a building looking at certain flag at Arica? Blow the wall open and destroy their cover -> problem solved.

I remember taking out some sniper guy in the same building with a M320 5 times in a row behind different walls. The amount of hate PMs I got from him after that... :lol:

Yes, that was the major problem of BF3 more than the "lack of destruction." No alternate routes (in Rush) and the maps (in all modes) were pretty terrible outside of Caspian Border and Operation Firestorm for the vanilla maps.

The DLC/expansions were MUCH better maps but since the new modes (like CTF) were limited to those 3-4 maps every expansion, they were kinda... pointless... unless you played Rush or Conquest on them.

But ignoring Rush even Conquest in BC2 had a problem with collapsing buildings and then mortaring people. Nelson Bay Conquest you can "garden" the trees and have them be very barren to where it becomes a bloody stalemate because people can't get across the "line" to the other flags. Similar to how Attackers in Rush can't pass the the starting spawn on that map if the defense is fast (like PS3-GAF did) in "gardening" the line between the first and second set to where if they take the first set, they AREN'T taking the second set with clear lines of sights, snipers, and machine guns with long-ranges mowing them down.

Which is what I'm getting at: Destruction was TOO STRONG in that game and even DICE realized it. Was it fun? Yeah, when the odds of the destruction were in your favor. But it made it so very unfun for the other side that was getting their shit pushed in due to the strong-punching ability of the destruction.

It's why I'm hoping BF4 has found the balance between attack/defense-scales of the destruction to where it is strong but not strong enough to lopside games.

I know can you believe it?!?!?!

If you're buying a DICE game for the singleplayer, you're better off going with Mirror's Edge or Rallysport Challenge (so want a RSC3). If you're buying Battlefield for the singleplayer, you're going to have a bad time.

All Battlefields should be Bad Company, the Multiplayer won't be affected but we would actually get an entertaining single player story.

Bad Company 1 had a great SP campaign. Open world destruction, driving a tank across a golf course, it was great. The story was fun too, with great, funny characters.
BC2's SP went down the COD route of linear paths and exciting setpieces, and lost alot of the humour of BC1. Pretty big disappointment.

faridmon

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Thank you based DICE. My favourite FPS franchise and I am one of those who prefer BC2 to BF3.

Dysun

Doesn't seem like it's worth bringing back since the Battlefield solo name has more clout with the public

BC1/2 already had their best bits lifted for BF3 to boot

TheZink

Bad Company 1 had a great SP campaign. Open world destruction, driving a tank across a golf course, it was great. The story was fun too, with great, funny characters.
BC2's SP went down the COD route of linear paths and exciting setpieces, and lost alot of the humour of BC1. Pretty big disappointment.

I concur with you. I missed the fun of BC1. Thats what made me fall in love with it.

leakey

Just re-release Bad Company Vietnam updated/standalone and I'd be happy. Vietnam expansion did everything right. So simple, so clean, so fresh, and dat music.

If you're buying a DICE game for the singleplayer, you're better off going with Mirror's Edge or Rallysport Challenge (so want a RSC3). If you're buying Battlefield for the singleplayer, you're going to have a bad time.
Except for when I played Bad Company 1's campaign and loved it. I continue to play through it on an almost annual basis.

Milennia

Just re-release Bad Company Vietnam updated/standalone and I'd be happy. Vietnam expansion did everything right. So simple, so clean, so fresh, and dat music.

Damn straight, Vietnam was a godsend, the music and everything including the atmosphere of the expac did so much for me.

Dat title screen.

BC2 was probably the best game in the series since BF2 thanks to some fantastic maps (including some great BC1 maps), so a more infantry/rush-focused BC3 would be awesome.

Interesting. Were all you Bad Company fans original BF1942 pc fans? I migrated from 1942 and found BC to have far too much destruction. You could obliterate an entire map and the dynamics went to complete shit. IMHO BF3 was much, much better in terms of multiplayer. Single player... hmm... whats that?

Yes!! I love BC2 and think it’s a lot better than BF3. I'm still hopefully and buying BF4 though...

Make the single player and multiplayer maps more like the BC series- more open world and sandbox'ish. This COD style corridor-hallway type maps just don't do it!

Ubersnug

Yay! BC2 was my favorite. Hopefully they bring back some of the maps

It was my entry game into the battlefield series and is more than likely my most played game this gen. It had a pace and a weight to it that battlefield 3 never quite replicated. I tried to play it on my 360 about 2 weeks ago as part of a nostalgia trip that me and a friend where doing before we get battlefield 4, and the servers are just a barren wasteland of a very small handful of players. I was VERY disappointed.

So, colour me excited at the prospect of a third entry in the series.

Yes!! I love BC2 and think it’s a lot better than BF3. I'm still hopefully and buying BF4 though...

Make the single player and multiplayer maps more like the BC series- more open world and sandbox'ish. This COD style corridor-hallway type maps just don't do it!

BF3 did have some annoyingly small "walled off" maps.

I hope they go back to the BC2 style of destruction.

While I haven’t played BF4, I don’t buy their new “levolution” type destruction. This sounds and looks like one or two large scripted events for each map. In comparison to BC2 where everything is destructible. Also don’t like the new “urban” direction BF3 and BF4 has taken. IMO Battlefield should be about large open areas. This isn’t COD or Rainbow Six series. I don't want to fight in the streets and hallways of a city, I want to fight on the countryside where vehicles can properly maneuver.

Raven77

This is awful, awful news to me. In my opinion, the arrival of the "Bad Company" spin off marked the downfall of the entire series.

Then again, maybe they can start putting the smaller - infantry focused maps found in BF3 (and likely BF4) into Bad Company and leave the core Battlefield series for the larger scale stuff.

elyetis

I don't see the use, almost every things which differenciate BC from battlefield, either mostly disappeared in BC2 ( humor, battlefield-like single player ), or went in the main series ( rush, single player campaign, TDM, destruction, corridor map ).

KKRT00

Good!

I hope that movement from BC 2 will also come back, i love how fast could You be as Recon and jumping was actually useful.

Cake Boss

Banned
I'll take 5!!!

I am used to being disappointing by EA, so I am just going to guess this will be BF4.3 with new maps.

Top Bottom