• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did 8th generation bring anything really new?

Jubenhimer

8th generation's almost over, at least in terms of the spotlight. 9th gen consoles are right around the corner, and most people are gearing up to see what the future of gaming holds from Sony and Microsoft. With that, I want to discuss a thing I've noticed about this gen. 8th generation I'd say has been pretty great. Sony returned to dominance with the PS4, which has built a massive library much closer to that of the PS1 and PS2. And although they got off to rough starts, both Microsoft and Nintendo managed to turn things around in the end. Right now, all platform holders are doing pretty well for themselves now. But I've noticed a pretty big thing with 8th generation that I don't know if most would agree on. It didn't really bring anything new to the table. Rather it more-so polished and built on the trends and foundations 7th generation introduced. Open World games, digital distribution, sharing gameplay. These were all things that started in last generation, but tweaked and improved upon for 8th gen. Not like that's a bad thing, 7th generation introduced some cool ideas that really weren't used to their best potential. Either due to hardware limitations of the business models of the big 3 at the time.

Now you might make the argument that the Battle Royale Genre is new considering rendering 100 players on a large scale map wasn't really something last gen consoles could do particularly well. But I'd chalk that up to the big RAM increase this gen. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 or 360 could possibly do the Battle Royale Genre if they weren't bottle necked with such little RAM (On that note, I'm glad Current Gen got that big RAM boost because multitasking and other features were a nightmare on last gen consoles). Plus, Battle Royale seems like the new fad of the week at the moment, so I'm not really sure if it has any longevity in terms of mainstream relevance. There's that, and 4K, which I'd wager won't really be fully utilized until next gen, and even then, I think it'll be a while before 4K resolutions reach mainstream adoption rates.

I'd say the only really new thing that 8th gen brought to the table, was VR, which was just not possible last generation, mainly because the tech for a satisfying VR experience just wasn't there yet. The problem with VR is that it came a bit too late in the generation, and it itself is a bit of a niche market, and probably will always be a niche market.

Like I said, for the most part, 8th gen didn't seem to bring much new stuff to the table, either in gameplay or visuals. It's more a souped up 7th Generation in my eyes. Big enough to classify as its own gen, but not big enough to be a huge leap for gaming. It's also the start of diminishing returns regarding graphics. Take a look at a 7th gen and 8th gen game back to back, yeah 8th gen clearly looks better, but not in a "Going from PS1-to-PS2" sense. The difference is closer to a PC game on low-settings vs high settings IMO. Unless there's something radically new going into the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett, or unless Streaming really takes off in a big way, I think 9th generation's going to have a very similar problem, perhaps moreso. But then again, maybe I'm just weird. Maybe 8th gen did bring a whole lot of newness to the table and I'm just not seeing it.

I really like 8th gen overall. Bad monetization practices, painful start, and a lack of signifigant new ideas aside, I feel its the best generation we've had in gaming since the GOAT 6th generation. But when it comes down to it, I think its the generation that pushed gaming the least.

Geki-D

Banned
Now you might make the argument that the Battle Royale Genre is new considering rendering 100 players on a large scale map wasn't really something last gen consoles could do particularly well. But I'd chalk that up to the big RAM increase this gen. I'm pretty sure that the PS3 or 360 could possibly do the Battle Royale Genre if they weren't bottle necked with such little RAM (On that note, I'm glad Current Gen got that big RAM boost because multitasking and other features were a nightmare on last gen consoles).
This is a very confusing thing to say. You're pretty much saying that Battle Royale isn't new because last gen consoles could have done it if they had more RAM but they didn't so Battle Royale is actually new. ????

Last gen could have done VR too, if the consoles were more powerful... This argument could work for anything. The SNES could run Crysis if it had better hardware. Your grandma could be a car if she had wheels and a gear box...

Also I'm pretty sure this gen introduced game streaming, unless PS Now actually started on PS3?

Every generation has its beauty, OP. But I agree that this generation had the least amount of unique games.....or was it?

I think this generation pushed games forward to a degree but you'd find that in the indie catalogue. Papers, Please is a great example of a game unlike any other.

This is a very confusing thing to say. You're pretty much saying that Battle Royale isn't new because last gen consoles could have done it if they had more RAM but they didn't so Battle Royale is actually new. ????

Last gen could have done VR too, if the consoles were more powerful... This argument could work for anything. The SNES could run Crysis if it had better hardware. Your grandma could be a car if she had wheels and a gear box...

Also I'm pretty sure this gen introduced game streaming, unless PS Now actually started on PS3?

This, plus open world games were introduced in the 6th gen not 7th.

base

Banned
Hell yeah. Devs showed us they can release anything and patch their games later.

That+garfield+in+the+calvin+n+hobbes+style+is+cheating+_4b3e60118593562c1be92f621d4a6591.jpg

Pejo

Other than VR, not really. There were some great games, but every gen has great games. That said, VR is pretty transformative when done well. It's been tried in the past, but never to this degree. I hope it keeps improving and growing across next gen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
MAG had 256 players online. And they actually rendered those players at once because unlike BR they were all alive at the end as the map became smaller. BR doesnt need to render 100 players because they are on different sides of the maps and spreadout. you see maybe 5-6 players on your screen at once.

But yes, overall, there has been very little innovation. i chalk it up to the CPU. no innovation in A.I or destruction. SSDs and CPU will change that next gen.

VR will only take off when it can offer high performance games without relying on an external device like a console or pc. Either though the use of streaming (doubtful) or when the headset becomes the main device itself. Could take another 5-10 years for the tech to improve and prices accessible.

dcx4610

It felt like a transitional generation with a high emphasis on digital.

I do think that the best thing to come out of the 8th gen is the x86 architecture and parity with PC. Now, developers can make one build of a game and easily port it between PS5/XB1/PC whereas before, you had 3 platforms with radically different architectures that you had to program elusively for. This also means that going forward, console will become more like PCs where if you bought a game on a PS4, it's also going to work on your PS5.

While there were no real innovations or really anything all that exciting this gen, I think it paved the way for the future in a positive way.

Jubenhimer

It felt like a transitional generation with a high emphasis on digital.

I do think that the best thing to come out of the 8th gen is the x86 architecture and parity with PC. Now, developers can make one build of a game and easily port it between PS5/XB1/PC whereas before, you had 3 platforms with radically different architectures that you had to program elusively for. This also means that going forward, console will become more like PCs where if you bought a game on a PS4, it's also going to work on your PS5.

While there were no real innovations or really anything all that exciting this gen, I think it paved the way for the future in a positive way.

This. Even the Switch is PC-based thanks to Tegra. I'd argue the switch to PC based hardware is a big reason why indie games really exploded on consoles this gen, and why mid-budget games are slowly making a comeback.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best thing to me was probably doing home sharing, so all digital games, Gold, EA Access, Game Pass are shared between two consoles.

Basically acts like 50% off as I share with a buddy.

Last edited:

somerset

A console is a computer. A computer is a tool. Yeah, this basic concept certainly flies right over the head of too many here- testament to the *fail* that is universal education.

When compters advance, they make certain forms of tasks achieved within acceptable timeframes possible.

Take soemthing as easy as MP3 decoding. The CPU had to advance in various ways to make this possible in realtime, and when that happened a revolution occured.

Consoles are gen-by-gen, seeing the same pattern. Improvements in memory bandwidth, processing power, tertiary storage sizes, etc making certain code ideas possible that were once too slow to process.

Once console games focused on game designs closely tied to the baked in hardware abilities of the video processing circuits in the ASICs. Platform games and shooters with lots of sprites and smooth scrolling. In reality the programmable CPU was doing little. Which is why a Z80 or later a 6800 git the job done.

But across time Consoles are evolving into the ultimate home computers. The next gen sails far beyond the home gaming PC (held back by its archaic bus designs). And games become expressions of imagination, rather than forms limited by the nature of the video hardware. So *dribbling mouth breathers* interpret this as a 'lack of innovation'.

To use an analogy, take the early days of cinema. Long before even silent Laurel and Hardy. Every movie was unique and nothing but a bunch of experimental gimmicks. But eventually the industry matured, and then the talkies were invented. All of a sudden the *language* of movies settled down, as experimentation ended and a universal form was accepted. Instead the movies could now focus on storytelling, where the tools of cinema (cameras and projectors) were no longer the focus.

Consoles are now at the same point- the age of gimmick is over (I don't consider PS5 VR a 'gimmick' but something more akin to movies in colour). Dribblers who get off on gimmick rather than *quality* will of course express their disappointment, as I'm sure the early projector fans did when 'films' no longer consisted of stuff like steam engines rushing toward the audience.

The *game* is no longer the *console*, for the console computer is now truly all powerful and general purpose (I mean with the coming consoles).

GamesAreFun

Banned
The first time 3D console games have decent image quality.

Not a big deal to PC owners, but it's so refreshing when every game has good anti-aliasing, native resolution, at least 30fps and high-quality textures. I feel games of this generation will age far more gracefully than PS3/360 did.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Highlighted Open world games, highlighted VR, you're not going to have CD, to DVD to Blu-ray levels of new tech every generation. I think OP sees this generation for what it is, developers putting work in that didn't push gaming into new dimensions.

FranXico

In a lot of ways, it was an extension of the 7th gen, but there was a big emphasis on social gaming early on.
The PS4 certainly contributed to that with the first system level built-in game streaming and capture support for console.
Even the controller had a dedicated "Share" button.

Diddy X

The first time 3D console games have decent image quality.

Not a big deal to PC owners, but it's so refreshing when every game has good anti-aliasing, native resolution, at least 30fps and high-quality textures. I feel games of this generation will age far more gracefully than PS3/360 did.

So true, the first gen with good enough, pleasant to look at 3d graphics.

No big changes but the graphics jump from last gen makes it worth it, last gen graphics were unbearable to look at.

Last edited:

FStubbs

To answer the OP's question - not really. A lot of trends from previous gens - good and bad - continued into this gen. There was no radical shift or new way to play games introduced this gen, just refinements of what already existed.

zcaa0g

Banned
The best thing I can say about this generation, but only starting with PS4 Pro and XBOX One X, is it's the first time ever that I felt the console games closed the gap on the PC platform thanks to higher resolutions and better AA. They finally started looking like PC games.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

The only really new dominant features are more on the user accessibility side imho like what has already been mentioned. This has been among the more confusing generations for me personally as I loved the energy, message and start of where I chose to continue playing, in this case PS and couldn't have begun to predict that I'd be back to owning all consoles again. Personally, Sony really dropped the ball. But then again I think most companies have. So many bad habits are the norm, with so few willing to take a chance on a new quality product. Its all MTX, overpriced dlc and season passes, "remasters", multi-launch editions galore, and complete rushjobs full of bugs and other such nonsense.

There have definitely been some great moments to be sure, I have the library to prove it, but it all makes me hesitant for next-gen save for a few developers and publishers. I will add too that the changing game coverage environment shifting from big media to smaller channels and sites such as Youtube hobbyists and smaller sites has been quite interesting. I never thought I'd see the press get so skewed and at times foul and condescending towards their own audience, but it has been great at the same time to see technology support the passionate hobbyists who take a stand for what's right or merely enjoy talking about the fun in gaming. That's why I game and I hope these companies can reflect on what matters most and learn from their mistakes. Ah who am I kidding it'll all be even more social and touting buzzwords that they all chase like 8k and 120fps while the games still all play the same and run like crap while the shareholders look for some other way to monetize the recurrent spenders. Meanwhile what's left of the clickbait sites will go on about crunch, cringe and coexistence. Looking forward to that.

Raven117

What we perhaps lacked in pushing games forward, we gained in variety. There was something for everyone this generation. Last gen...it was really starting to skew towards corridor military shooters that were super easy.

Now, we have lots of varied experiences. Moreover, some games (not all) are starting to take some more chances with their art design and premise.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
VR will only take off when it can offer high performance games without relying on an external device like a console or pc. Either though the use of streaming (doubtful) or when the headset becomes the main device itself. Could take another 5-10 years for the tech to improve and prices accessible.

I think you’re right on the timeline, but so long as it’s wireless, it can rely on a console. More important is improved inside-out tracking, foveated, FOV, comfort and resolution. We certainly won’t get that next gen, and if we did, I doubt a PS5 Pro could run it effectively.

juliotendo

It’s just an improved version of the 7th generation with:

- more monetization and micro transaction schemes.
- fewer games overall per year.
- a lot of weird indie trash games.
- but overall better graphics and image quality.

It brings all the past promises to a reality (3d, hd, perfect pixel arts, VR, easy online play), including playing your home consoles games everywhere and/or with other manufacters products. Streaming games is a very important feature too. Sharing your games... and tv tv tv tv... and somehow the end of certain drm... and loot box yeah!

Last edited:
First gen VR with amazing games and experiences already

GOAT indie games

Some AAA games that could be amongst the best in history

Great remakes

Best Zelda ever, with a portable Nintendo console.

Very good prices with heavy discounts in all platforms except for Nintendo

To me, it's been fantastic. There are a few bad things, but why bother with them if we have so many good ones at hand?

checkcola

It definetely felt like a refiniment of the previous gen. Yes, some nice quality of life features mentioned, but none of those things scream, this is the thing that makes it worth it.

93xfan

Banned
Consider games like Battlefield 4 at launch, that did more tha. Double the player count and frame rate.

I was pretty impressed with this gen from the get go.

Belmonte

I think there was a mindset change in this generation. Many studios last gen were "go big or go home" with many trying to compete against COD and Gears of War. Now we have more AA games, the japanese are doing much better and indie games are more polished and in greater quantities.

sol_bad

This. Even the Switch is PC-based thanks to Tegra. I'd argue the switch to PC based hardware is a big reason why indie games really exploded on consoles this gen, and why mid-budget games are slowly making a comeback.

This. I really agree with this.
I think this generation has evened the playing field and made things so much easier for indies and AA developers to publish their games. And to be honest, it's the indies that are bringing in the new and fresh ideas. That's where you'll need to look for innovation moving forward. This is a big deal for me personally as that is what the 8 and 16 bit days were, indies making video games with fresh visions and no corporate bearing down on them dictating what they need to do.

zenspider

OP pretty much mentions all the big steps forward, but belittles them.

-The Battle Royale as a new genre is massive, like MOBA was the gen before.
-Tetris fucking 99.
-F2P viability on consoles.
-VR growing past "cottage industry" level is a pretty big deal.
-Monetization and meta "gaming" schemes of money and attention are the big headline of this gen, amd is setting the table for the streaming future the corporations desire and the gamers do not.
-I think Nintendo fufilling Sony's promise of taking portables "out of the gaming ghetto" is way more important than is given credit, and that viability in market will be the bulwark against streaming and mobile in the "post-gen" future to come.

Codes 208

Cross-play being increasingly more common amongst all platforms is probably the biggest example i can think of.
Headphone jacks on controllers (But Nintendo didn't get the memo)
Technically the 360 did that already last gen. Whereas sony focused on Bluetooth with the ds3, ms went the wired route with a 2.5 aux port.

HE1NZ

Banned
Number 1 thing for me that happened this gen is awareness of framerate. Finally devs understand the importance of 60 fps or at least smooth 30. Optimization is important now. One of the worst things about past gens was when not only poorly optimized games were allowed, but also gaming media could competely ignore it in their reviews and pretend the PS3 version is "fine". It was the secret reason why Call of Duty exploded during 7th gen, because they all targeted 60 while competition could barely do 30 and didn't bother about it.

Another important thing is rise of PC. It had a hard time last gen, but now it seems everything (even some Sony exclusives) is getting ported and Microsoft simply abandoned trying to sell their consoles to PC players by gatekeeping their games. I anticipate that in a few years every single game will be available on PC, and exclusivity wars will be waged only over which streaming service gets to stream what.

Other things about this gen: death of cover shooters, rise of looter shooters, MOBAs, battle royal, VR, a short lived resurgence of arena shooters, emulation is going mainstream. Games are now attempting a more vibrant color pallete (as usual some are overdoing it). Lootboxes over DLC, political correctness targets gaming.

Last edited:

Silvawuff

I'd say the biggest thing it has brought is awareness, at least from the consumer side. It's setting the tone for what's to come, especially with how game publishers distribute games and monetize them.

Top Bottom