• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone watch that segment on 60 minutes about the The Food Flavoring Industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
They're just chemicals. If a beaver's backside takes like strawberry, then it tastes like strawberry. Whatever.

Also, any idiot with a grill can beat McDonald's. Try beating In N Out.

akira28

I've been cooking and eating naturally for the last few months, not eating out, not eating artificial stuff. I know it's just chemicals, but if they had stopped at natural strawberry extracts, that would be one thing. They're trying to make something that tastes like a strawberry but better, and make it addictive, that's another thing. But when it comes from a beaver's anal scent gland...that's entering 'wrong' territory.

Das Boot

Banned
The only burgers I like better than fast food burgers, are the occasional bbq burgers I have in the summer, when they get all smokey and are super juicy, yum. But even that might just be because it's variety and a bit of a rare treat - when it comes to taste, fast food is pretty much the king - it's their business.

Come on son. Really?

I can barely stomach most fast food BECAUSE it lacks real taste. Again, I see the primary driver of fast food being convenience--not because it beats out the taste of home-cooked meals.

Das Boot

Banned
I'm 100% serious.
Home-made burgers have more "grainy" type of beef usually, and the bread doesn't have that soft, yet crispy, texture of McDonald's buns.

What you have to accept is that all that money that McDonald's spend on flavor experts and culinary gastronomers does pay off.

lmao.

No. Just no.

UrokeJoe

Sorry, there's not even a competition.
McDonald's burgers beat anything home cooked, and I used to make some pretty wicked meat burgers while I was a carnivore.

JbJWG.jpg

Thank you. It's been a long time since I've seen the word wicked used correctly. Man your burgers really sucked huh?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm 100% serious.
Home-made burgers have more "grainy" type of beef usually, and the bread doesn't have that soft, yet crispy, texture of McDonald's buns.

What you have to accept is that all that money that McDonald's spend on flavor experts and culinary gastronomers does pay off.

your taste buds are fucking jacked.

McDonalds is shit, compared to over fast foods. Let alone a nice juicy home made burger.

With the exception of the summer months, orange juice is similarly tasteless stored juice with orange fragrance. I rarely even drink it now either. I pretty much have weened myself off to just water, coffee, and tea these days. I have also begun to dramatically cut down on how much I eat and what I do.

I don't admit that I always eat super healthy. But with my workout routine it has made a difference in all aspects of my life.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Don't blame Givaudan for overeating, blame people's lack of self control.

Just like we shouldn't blame nicotine for oversmoking, it's lack of willpower.

There's a lot of research to support this.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/07/food-reward-dominant-factor-in-obesity.html

They have several controlled trials on rats, which don't use willpower ever to control food intake. The easiest way to make rats overeat is the "cafeteria diet" which is basically junk food and fast food. There have been some limited controlled trials on humans reproducing the results.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/05/food-reward-dominant-factor-in-obesity.html

cbox

Juicy is bad, McDonald's gets this and make superb burgers that are compact and with an even consistency throughout the entire patty.

You can't make genius food like that at home, you just end up with a "juicy burger" - which are way worse.

luii7.png

I feel bad for you man, liquid Injected beef patties shouldn't be considered food. Man they keep their meat in yellow warming trays - that's disgusting.

teh_pwn

Do you know how to grill? Home cooked burgers destroy anything on McDonalds' menu.

Food reward and quality are not the same thing.

For example, you could carefully cook a steak with the freshest, highest quality cut in the world. But if you don't season it, it wouldn't make you overeat like a taco bell cheesy beef burrito, buttered popcorn, pizza pockets, etc.

There are qualities in food that trigger a dopamine response in the brain. Glutamate which in nature is found in meat is a reward factor. Fructose which is found in fruit in nature is a reward factor. Warmth and texture is a reward factor.

Something like fast food chinese combines all of them into one product and then adds some more spice to give it a kick. It's not found in nature but the components of it's reward are. The brain evolved to reinforce eating things that increased the likelihood of passing on genes, but it wasn't to handle all of those qualities at once.

It's the same concept as coca leaves versus cocaine.

Also this effect isn't the same in every person and it isn't acute. The association between the reward and food has to be made for the addiction to take place. Same reason why nicotine gum isn't addictive.

Come on son. Really?

I can barely stomach most fast food BECAUSE it lacks real taste. Again, I see the primary driver of fast food being convenience--not because it beats out the taste of home-cooked meals.

It doesn't impact everyone the same. But for people that it does it isn't an immediate addiction. To someone that's used to old fashion cooking, soda is too sweet. Pizza is too salty. If you do have the potential of building up an addiction you would have to consume it on a regular basis. People that are eating a large combo, snacks, soda, and second combo meal each day will tell you that they're hungry for it. Even though they're consuming 3000 calories more than they need, their brain tells them they need it. Hunger is controlled by the brain, it doesn't just happen. It involves the hormone leptin and can be offset by ghrelin and dopamine.

Wool

I saw part of the 60 minutes thing, but I couldn't get Clark Griswold out of my head. Making food additives is the business of the well meaning but unlucky average Joe as far as I'm concerned.

cbox

I can't be alone in this as my home made food doesn't need to be artificially enhanced for me to crave and enjoy it.

Daigoro

The less I know about how my food is made or even whats in it the better. Rather be clueless than vegetarian.

sounds like you'll have little trouble achieving that goal. congrats.

I've been cooking and eating naturally for the last few months, not eating out, not eating artificial stuff. I know it's just chemicals, but if they had stopped at natural strawberry extracts, that would be one thing. They're trying to make something that tastes like a strawberry but better, and make it addictive, that's another thing. But when it comes from a beaver's anal scent gland...that's entering 'wrong' territory.

well past the "entering" phase. this shit has gone way past wrong.

it's a disgusting business.

Those warming trays are another crucial component of the making of the best burger.
Given the choice between a home made burger, and a McDonald's Hamburger - I would always go with the McDonald's Hamburger because I know it will consistently deliver the ultimate taste experience.
Even a bad McDonald's Hamburger is better than the best home made burger.

You hate the flavour and texture of beef is what I'm getting from your posts.

jman2050

Those warming trays are another crucial component of the making of the best burger.
Given the choice between a home made burger, and a McDonald's Hamburger - I would always go with the McDonald's Hamburger because I know it will consistently deliver the ultimate taste experience.
Even a bad McDonald's Hamburger is better than the best home made burger.

It was perfect before, now you're just skirting the line.

The less I know about how my food is made or even whats in it the better. Rather be clueless than vegetarian.

Wouldn't knowing more about the source of your food allow you to appreciate it more? The more people understood about food the less waste there would be.

teh_pwn

You hate the flavour and texture of beef is what I'm getting from your posts.

MSG has the same reward factor as naturally occurring glutamate from meat. Vegetarian, Omnivore or Vegan is independent of what this video is talking about. Although those crazy raw vegans tend to eat very low food reward stuff, probably why they tend to be underweight.

Well, I am a vegetarian now.
It depends on what you are looking for in a patty, that's why you can never say that one option is definitely better than the other - it's all subjective!

There is no objective metric for tastiness of a burger.

Moral reasons or flavour and texture?

Aesius

It's kind of insane how delicious most food is. Seriously -- I could probably order damn near anything on the menu at any sit-down or fast-food restaurant and there's a good chance I would fucking love it (unless it was ridiculously spicy). It's kind of scary really.

Having grown up tastebuds is awesome (I fucking love vegetables now), but now I can fully understand why both of my parents ended up slightly overweight. EVERYTHING TASTES GOOD.

Moral reasons, but it's possible that flavour/texture played into it - it's just something I haven't given thought to.
I do like McDonald burgers though, so if it was just flavor and texture then I'd just continue eating their burgers.

Many meat free products come very close to imitating the texture of a McDonalds pattie. The uniform texture is alot easier to imitate than say a burger made with coarse mince. Don't know about the taste though.

Das Boot

Banned
Also this effect isn't the same in every person and it isn't acute. The association between the reward and food has to be made for the addiction to take place. Same reason why nicotine gum isn't addictive.

It doesn't impact everyone the same. But for people that it does it isn't an immediate addiction. To someone that's used to old fashion cooking, soda is too sweet. Pizza is too salty. If you do have the potential of building up an addiction you would have to consume it on a regular basis. People that are eating a large combo, snacks, soda, and second combo meal each day will tell you that they're hungry for it. Even though they're consuming 3000 calories more than they need, their brain tells them they need it. Hunger is controlled by the brain, it doesn't just happen. It involves the hormone leptin and can be offset by ghrelin and dopamine.

So as a result of conditioning, people can develop fucked up taste buds if they eat too much fast food over a long period of time?

For me, I used to eat fast food all the time and then I stopped because I always felt sickly after eating it. Now I rarely eat it and now when I do eat fast food, I find the taste to be terrible, when I used to love it.

teh_pwn

So as a result of conditioning, people can develop fucked up taste buds if they eat too much fast food over a long period of time?

For me, I used to eat fast food all the time and then I stopped because I always felt sickly after eating it. Now I rarely eat it and now when I do eat fast food, I find the taste to be terrible, when I used to love it.

It isn't really the taste buds, it's the stuff going on in the prefrontal cortex in response to that taste. If you've eaten real food then it's going to taste like shit.

Another analogy is alcoholic beverages. The first few times you drink them in your life, they taste like ass. But then something clicks in and it tastes good. For some people they just have to have it in high amounts all of the time. That's the brain associating the effect of alcohol with the flavor.

But yeah what you're describing is the idea.

I wouldn't say there's a lack of willpower until people are told that engineered food causes obesity in some people, and that in order to eat based on hunger you need to eat real food.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I can't be alone in this as my home made food doesn't need to be artificially enhanced for me to crave and enjoy it.

no your certainly not. Once you've gotten off the artificial sweeteners you realize real food doesn't need any artificial sweetener beyond a pinch of sugar, if the recipe calls for it.

Fruits are naturally sweet, they don't need any additives. We just think they do because we've been eating artificially flavored crap.

no your certainly not. Once you've gotten off the artificial sweeteners you realize real food doesn't need any artificial sweetener beyond a pinch of sugar, if the recipe calls for it.

Fruits are naturally sweet, they don't need any additives. We just think they do because we've been eating artificially flavored crap.

As true as this is, mascerated berries are pretty amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom