• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Apple lose money on the iPod at first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmSeta

I've heard that Apple were following the Xbox pricing model, losing money at first on every unit sold. Is this true? Where can I find more on this, and read about how much money the iPod is making, etc..?

aoi tsuki

i've always wondered... Where's you avatar from EmSeta? i would've guessed Bust a Move 2, but i didnt' play enough of that game to make either characters in your avatar familiar.

Yeah, Apple never "lost" any money on the iPod, nor anything else for that matter. They're fucking cheap, and it pisses me off that I paid so much on a computer with a fucked up monitor which they refuse to replace, despite the fact that I paid extra for Apple Care, their extended warranty program.

Oh, and I dig both of the dancing avatars as well.

xsarien

daedsiluap
FortNinety said:
Yeah, Apple never "lost" any money on the iPod, nor anything else for that matter. They're fucking cheap, and it pisses me off that I paid so much on a computer with a fucked up monitor which they refuse to replace, despite the fact that I paid extra for Apple Care, their extended warranty program.

Oh, and I dig both of the dancing avatars as well.

LCD? I know with those, most companies have little caveats about replacing the units. For example, if it's just a dead pixel or two, it's the nature of the technology and there's nothing they can really do about it.

What's the issue with it?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Quadrophenic said:
From what I remember reading, Apple was/is losing money on iTunes, but makes a lot of money on selling iPods.

Actually the iTunes Music Store is turning a small profit. Apple really meant for it to drive iPod sales, so they're pretty happy about that. And they make a significant amount of money from iPods -- they've NEVER positioned it as a loss leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom