• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Capcom just casually elevate RE4 Remake to GOAT status?

Is RE4 Remake + Seperate ways one of the best games ever?

• Yes

Votes: 67 69.1%
  • No, but actually yes

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • No, but OP is right anyway

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters
Woke up this morning with a notification on the phone saying Separate Ways was downloaded and ready.. hell yeah I thought even though it didn't make sense.

Open it up, have a 3gb update for RE4 first, and the dlc stopped at halfway for some reason. So maybe tonight I guess. 😢

King Dazzar

Genuine question. Is the aiming and gunplay better than the demo i.e did they fix it? I've held off buying it because of the awful aiming on PS5 & XSX when I tried the demos. I managed to improve it by maxing some of the settings sliders after reading some tips. But was that ever properly resolved? When I compare it to something like the controls in Dead Space Remake it felt very poor in comparison. I loved RE Village and thought RE2 Remake good rather than great, but demo of 4 didn't sell it to me at all.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I put it right next to stuff like Minerva's Den and Lair of the Shadow Broker as some of the best DLC Ive ever played hands down.

The fact it's $10 is unfuckingbelievable. If there ever was a no brainer purchase, its this one.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Genuine question. Is the aiming and gunplay better than the demo i.e did they fix it? I've held off buying it because of the awful aiming on PS5 & XSX when I tried the demos. I managed to improve it by maxing some of the settings sliders after reading some tips. But was that ever properly resolved? When I compare it to something like the controls in Dead Space Remake it felt very poor in comparison. I loved RE Village and thought RE2 Remake good rather than great, but demo of 4 didn't sell it to me at all.

The shitty square/box-like aiming sensitivity and higher input lag was mostly a XSS/XSX thing (it was the same for resident evil village) and it got improved via patch.

On the PS5, while not excellent compared to games like COD/Halo/Destiny, the aiming settings after fiddling with them in the options menu are A-OK, they're still not "perfect" but they're perfectly serviceable, it's just that you'll have to experiment with the options a little bit to find the sweet spot.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The issue with the controls already came up in this thread. It takes a bit to get used to it but they work really well after some time. So to answer your question: No, the controls are the same as in the demo.

King Dazzar

The shitty square/box-like aiming sensitivity and higher input lag was mostly a XSS/XSX thing (it was the same for resident evil village) and it got improved via patch.

On the PS5, while not excellent compared to games like COD/Halo/Destiny, the aiming settings after fiddling with them in the options menu are A-OK, they're still not "perfect" but they're perfectly serviceable, it's just that you'll have to experiment with the options a little bit to find the sweet spot.

The issue with the controls already came up in this thread. It takes a bit to get used to it but they work really well after some time. So to answer your question: No, the controls are the same as in the demo.
Thanks. I got them configured OK in the demo. And I only dabbled with the pistol. They took a bit of adjusting to in RE Village too. But it was an observation from my time with the demo and had made me hesitant. Its just come off sale in the UK on PS5, once it goes back on sale I'll likely give it a go.

killatopak

XSX version was definitely improved in terms of dead zones.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t know if re4 fans see themselves its one of the best horror games but I never thought it was better than raccoon city and re1-3, if they stayed in the Spanish village for a while, the castle in resident evil 4 changed the atmosphere too much.

SkylineRKR

I am halfway through RE4 R right now. I think its better than the original in everything but atmosphere. I liked the art direction of the original more. Perhaps the aiming was a bit better, and the melee had more impact. But now there are physics to play with, you can kick enemies against walls and stab them afterwards. It depends on their position how you will finish them. Not having to waste resources on Ashley is pretty good as well.

I can't wait to start Separate Ways, I already liked it on PS2.

I think this might be my second fave RE game after RE2R. I think RE2R would've been even better if they kept Mr.X solely for B scenarios.

King Dazzar

XSX version was definitely improved in terms of dead zones.
Thanks. Yeah I noticed the dead zone issues on XSX. But then when I turned to the PS5 demo instead (which I tried again last week). My issue were not dead zone related. But more that aiming felt floaty and as though it had an acceleration issue. I adjusted the sliders to max based off of others having problems too and providing tips. And then with the other sliders maxed, just tweaked the sensitivity. And that seemed to get rid of the acceleration and floaty problems, making it feel a lot better. But it still felt a touch clunky with his movement, but something I might be able to get used to. For me personally I think for something to be GOAT, then things like aiming should be a lot slicker and more natural from the off. But I'm yet to play the full game. So we'll see. Cheers.

Elysium44

Banned
Thanks. Yeah I noticed the dead zone issues on XSX. But then when I turned to the PS5 demo instead (which I tried again last week). My issue were not dead zone related. But more that aiming felt floaty and as though it had an acceleration issue. I adjusted the sliders to max based off of others having problems too and providing tips. And then with the other sliders maxed, just tweaked the sensitivity. And that seemed to get rid of the acceleration and floaty problems, making it feel a lot better. But it still felt a touch clunky with his movement, but something I might be able to get used to. For me personally I think for something to be GOAT, then things like aiming should be a lot slicker and more natural from the off. But I'm yet to play the full game. So we'll see. Cheers.

This is one of my issues with the remakes. The movement and aiming are absolutely horrible.

miklonus

I one million percent fuckin endorse JimmyRustler JimmyRustler and this thread he created. I play Mercenaries mode as much as I play the main campaign, and I am blown away by the physics engines, and stuff that you can do just in that mode alone. Mercenaries alone has things that would make the graphic fidelity thread, and gameplay fans in general, blush.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The original is like eating grandma's hamburguer. It's tasty as fuck, but you know that is ugly. The remake is like a Gordon Ramsey's hamburguer. It's surgical made and has the best ingredients, but too much by the numbers took the charisma and love that grandma still delivers

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The original is like eating grandma's hamburguer. It's tasty as fuck, but you know that is ugly. The remake is like a Gordon Ramsey's hamburguer. It's surgical made and has the best ingredients, but too much by the numbers took the charisma and love that grandma still delivers
More like, nostalgia for grandma's burger makes it unbeatable in your mind but the truth is that Gordon is a Michelin star chef. Grandma is not. Grandma made a classic. Gordon elevated it to the highest level!

Last edited:
After playing the main game extensively, I like playing the village and castle in the original/hacked HD mod version on Professional a lot more, but the island is terrible. With that said, I am much more likely to complete a full playthrough on Hardcore in the remake (with Ada voice mod) and Mercenaries is actually fun in this one as dying does not kill your score and you have specials for every character. Separate Ways in both is the most mediocre tripe ever. Assignment Ada in the original on the other hand is fun as hell.

Enjoying this DLC quite a lot - I like how it takes you through sort of an opposite route of Leon and passes through the story several times. I got to the castle not long ago so maybe halfway or longer through, but I'm going pretty slow. There are a few things to complain about but overall well worth 10 bucks. Thanks for talking it up. This isn't how I remember the original Separate Ways going, but it's been a long time. Thought it started and was all on the island?

Her voice actor's delivery still kind of sucks. At times sounds very sleepy.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Enjoying this DLC quite a lot - I like how it takes you through sort of an opposite route of Leon and passes through the story several times. I got to the castle not long ago so maybe halfway or longer through, but I'm going pretty slow. There are a few things to complain about but overall well worth 10 bucks. Thanks for talking it up. This isn't how I remember the original Separate Ways going, but it's been a long time. Thought it started and was all on the island?
No, Seperate Ways was always all of the place.

This one gets better with each chapter imo. Chapter 1+2 were the worst I think.

MacReady13

I just finished the Separate Ways DLC from RE4 and am blown away. I don't know what I expected but I sure as hell didn't expect it to be as good. In the original the Addon was more of a nuisance I went through every time after I finished the main game. Here it's a legit part of it. Not only did they add all parts of the original game that were missing in the Remake but they also added meaningful and super fun new content.

Still trying to grasp all this. The original RE4 was for the longest parts of my life my favourite game of all time and just to think that Capcom didn't just manage to Remake it extremely well but now, with the DLC, even surpass it as a whole blows my mind and it should be more talked about.

Seriously guys, if you haven't already. Buy the main game, buy the DLC and enjoy 20-25 hours of varied and thrilling peak gaming.

I really hope the same team gives either RE5, RE Remake Remake or RE CV Remake the same treatment.
I kind of agree. I loved this remake when it originally came out but still thought the original was superior. Now with this DLC adding basically all parts missing from the original game I’m quite confident in saying this might actually be the better game and, as such, take over the original as my fav game of all time!

No, Seperate Ways was always all of the place.

This one gets better with each chapter imo. Chapter 1+2 were the worst I think.
Yeah I don't know why I remember it that way. Only played it once almost twenty years ago but I really like the new Separate Ways. Almost to the Comms Tower so have to be getting towards the end but it's been fun, makes me want to replay RE4 Remake! I wish Ada stayed in the Village and Castle a little longer as I really don't like the Island, but it's all good.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah I don't know why I remember it that way. Only played it once almost twenty years ago but I really like the new Separate Ways. Almost to the Comms Tower so have to be getting towards the end but it's been fun, makes me want to replay RE4 Remake! I wish Ada stayed in the Village and Castle a little longer as I really don't like the Island, but it's all good.
Found it funny the the island is best part of the DLC and the village is the worst.

Top Bottom