• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Gary Whitta write After Earth as Scientology propaganda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2535748

Not to say there's nothing to this, but the guys arguments are not very good. First, he's incredibly verbose which has the effect of hiding tenuous connections in oceans of text. Second, the actual parallels sound a lot like standard movie tropes. For instance, I know the importance of engrams in dianetics, but what he describes could just as easily be associated with traumatic memories and overcoming fear. Cliffhanger isn't about dianetics, but we're shown the flashback of him being unable to save the woman a bunch of times, and it's clear that it holds him back until he overcomes that, which sounds like the same thing that happens here.

The logo's not that similar, just because there's a space plane doesn't mean it's a DC-8 from Scientology, the whole thing about valence seems really weak and the Moby Dick reference is ridiculously thin (which he admits).

I haven't seen the movie, so maybe he's right, but this reads like someone went in with the intent to prove that this was based in scientology and so looked at things with a very specific lens.

Will this be the end of M. Night Sham....a....yeah?

He's had a tough run these last few years.

I don't know if the critics have the level of power necessary to make executives stop hiring the man. But it certainly seems like whatever wellspring houses the power of comebacks isn't giving Mr. Shyamalan a fucking drop.

The question is whether Shyamalan has earned the total enmity he currently owns.

Pastry

Banned
No Gary yet in this thread huh? Interesting.

Gary openly said in the After Earth thread that he would not be on GAF for a bit due to the premier, etc.. He also said that he would not be visiting any After Earth threads and will not engage in anything about the movie.

I mean, maybe a few of the ideas were inspired by Scientology? But the movie doesn't appear to be actively preaching anything. Its just a dumb story.

The links to pics of the two insignias and uniforms turned me off of his argument. He sort of had me until then.

The insignia is not THAT similar. Lots of military insignias look sort of like that.

And the uniforms? Uh, they are both white? Seriously?

Anyway, who cares if the story is vaguely inspired by Scientology myths? Its not actively (or inactively, whatever that means) promoting it. Plus nobody is going to see it anyway.

I still don't see a problem even if it was actively promoting it. Maybe I'm too optimistic and think a movie wouldn't convert anyone except those lacking the most basic of critical thinking skills?

Pctx

Banned
While I don't particularly rate Gary as a screenwriter, I'm sure he's clever enough not to engage with this shit fit.

To be fair, Garry is never one to back down from critics, (e.g. all of the people who hate Book of Eli) so I wouldn't surprise me to see a comment or two from him regarding this.

I don't know if the critics have the level of power necessary to make executives stop hiring the man. But it certainly seems like whatever wellspring houses the power of comebacks isn't giving Mr. Shyamalan a fucking drop.

The question is whether Shyamalan has earned the total enmity he currently owns.

The talk of sequels to Unbreakable have been interesting. I'd like to see him tackle those, though I have no expectations of anything good. Still interested though.

Seems like he's reaching way too far with this. Even if the less-reachy stuff, like the Dianetics concepts he mentions, are genuine references, I don't see how they would promote Scientology. It's not like the movie is a stealth recruitment device, given how he describes it.

I still don't see a problem even if it was actively promoting it. Maybe I'm too optimistic and think a movie wouldn't convert anyone except those lacking the most basic of critical thinking skills?
Yeah sure of course. Freedom of speech and religion and all that.

I guess if there was some subliminal messages and deep fiction that somehow got people hooked and it linked to Scientology, and then if there was a movie-tied promotion that required you to get audited, maybe that would be a problem. But not sure how that could ever happen and be successful.

Its not like Battlefield Earth was a scandal or anything - it pretty much just got ignored.

Polari

To be fair, Garry is never one to back down from critics, (e.g. all of the people who hate Book of Eli) so I wouldn't surprise me to see a comment or two from him regarding this.

Perhaps, but he's got nothing to gain by responding to this particular theory on the weekend his film is opening. Just be adding fuel to the fire, and studios hire PR people for a reason.

maybe this will force him to complete his Unbreakable trilogy?

...or do we even want it at this point?
I'd definitely give the second movie a chance, but I also like Unbreakable as a stand-alone flick. :|

Gary Whitta doesn't have to defend himself to you jokers.

I don't know why some of you are wanting him to be here and say... something?

bengraven

He likely won't respond here, since he's taking a GAF break that started before AE came out, just because he knew people would troll him for fun.

Also, the film was taken out of his hands and it's a well known fact that Will Smith, like other "A" list actors, easily would have had this film re-written "for" him.

The best part of making 20 million a film? You don't have to act - you can just have the script written tailored to your personality so you can breeze through it for a quick paycheck.

Cheech

Gary Whitta doesn't have to defend himself to you jokers.

I don't know why some of you are wanting him to be here and say... something?

IMO, the fact that he's on GAF is irrelevant. Pretty much all big budget popcorn flicks get their own threads here.

Also, people need to realize that even if the movie sucks, he is one of the last people to point fingers at when you're dealing with guys like Will Smith and M. Night. Writers have no juice when guys like that are at the helm.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Seems Whitta is already distancing himself from this turd of a film, claiming in an interview that the script was pretty much Will Smith's idea.

maybe this will force him to complete his Unbreakable trilogy?

...or do we even want it at this point?
I'd definitely give the second movie a chance, but I also like Unbreakable as a stand-alone flick. :|

Yeah, I don't get the sense anyone wants it. Probably not even Shyamalan, since I believe the only reason we didn't get a part 2 was due to his pouting over its reception.

But even if he could talk a studio into funding the sequel, I don't think it'd play. The game's done changed.

To be fair, there are a smattering of critics who think the movie did a decent job of telling the story Smith came up with. To quote Dalton from Road House, "Opinions Vary." But I really am getting the sense that Shyamalan movies won't get a fair shot from the general populace unless he starts directing under a pseudonym and stops giving interviews/doing press. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure this is an UNFAIR situation, either.

so far as Mr. Whitta goes - the title of this thread is kinda snotty, so even if he WAS around, I'd be surprised to see him wade in here to explain to people how their conception of screenwriting is more than a bit skewed.

edit: thread title got edited! :)

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
That's not exactly good form to run around and defend your own work. Remember Dennis Dyack?

It's completely fair to let people have their own opinions of your work and not stomp in and start lording perspectives.
Dyack's problem wasn't defending his babies. Dyack went for scorched earth.

J-Rod

Didn't people also think Book of Eli was Christian propaganda?

Maybe Whitta is just cycling through various religions for themes as he progresses through his career.

Yeah, I recall a lot of gaffers hating it because of that. Now folks will think he is pushing Scientology. Geez

Aiii

So not worth it
Most of what the reddit poster says is a stretch. But I haven't seen the movie. So Maybe it's more (or less) obvious in context.

Anyone interested in how Scientology uses Hollywood to gain influence and members should read the book Going Clear by Lawrence Wright.

I guess if there was some subliminal messages and deep fiction that somehow got people hooked and it linked to Scientology, and then if there was a movie-tied promotion that required you to get audited, maybe that would be a problem. But not sure how that could ever happen and be successful.

Yeah I don't think subliminal messaging works like that thankfully.

And lol, if the film required you to get audited it would sell even worse. A better idea would be a coupon for a free audit. If I had an afternoon I'd do it, just to experience it.

This was Will Smith's movie, I think. Both director and writer seem to be guns for hire in this case, fleshing out the movie Smith wants to make. So Smith conceived the idea of the father guiding the son through these trials, battling emotion, and the personalities of each character, which are the elements that the vulture article is linking strongly to scientology.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm not terribly interested in the movie but I'll still watch it to support Mr. Whitta. I have to imagine being a writer in hollywood to be incredibly frustrating, watching your work get hacked up and pasted back together into some Frankenstein monster version of what you originally created.

shira

Gary openly said in the After Earth thread that he would not be on GAF for a bit due to the premier, etc.. He also said that he would not be visiting any After Earth threads and will not engage in anything about the movie.

This makes no sense. What, he's just going to post in other threads. People are going to be like wtf Gary and he's going to ignore them. Ahh celebs.

Kusagari

I could buy some of the story being rooted in Scientology.

But if it was intended as "propaganda" then it sounds like the dumbest propaganda piece ever.

Loxley

This was Will Smith's movie, I think. Both director and writer seem to be guns for hire in this case, fleshing out the movie Smith wants to make. So Smith conceived the idea of the father guiding the son through these trials, battling emotion, and the personalities of each character, which are the elements that the vulture article is linking strongly to scientology.

Yeah, Smith and Shyamalan are both people who are famous for going into the scripts themselves and making changes/alterations (not too shocking with Shyamalan since he writes a lot of his own films).

I would love to hear from Garry himself exactly how much of his original screenplay is still the film and how much is Smith/Shyamalan's doing.

Dresden

Not sure why it matters either way. Dude was hired to write a script based on an idea that was not his. He was paid, the script then passed through the hands of others, and that was that. It was a job and he'll move on to do other things.

I thought it was pretty funny how the writer made a connection between Will Smith's suit and Scientology, as if that white suit only existed in Scientology circles and not, you know, as admiral uniforms.

Quote from Gary in the AE thread on the matter of posting about AE after the debut for anyone wondering why he isn't "defending" his script:

I do too, since this is pretty much the only place on Earth where they'd be referred to like that. God bless GAF :)

I'm off to NYC for the world premiere tomorrow night. Public advance screenings are tomorrow night also, so the floodgates will open soon enough. For any who may be wondering later, this will most likely be my last AE-related post; I did my best to avoid obnoxiously promoting the movie here, but more than that I always get super stressed at times like this, and reading internet stuff just feeds that. So I'm gonna do my best to go dark and just enjoy this weekend. So I most likely won't be lurking or posting in the Rottenwatch or box office threads; I did that with Eli and some people seemed to enjoy the opportunity to try to troll me, which is kinda lame. So this time I'm happy to let any discussion happen without my presence skewing things.

I had a great time working on the movie, and I'm really proud of the result. I hope people will come out and give it a shot as I think it's a really good old-fashioned family adventure with a strong father-son emotional story at its core. I think (hope) people will be surprised by it.

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive; see you on the other side! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom