• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Gary Whitta write After Earth as Scientology propaganda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Anyone seriously considering that Gary wrote the film as Scientology propaganda needs a reality check. That's what the 'spoilers: no' is about. Whether or not you consider After Earth a good film is an enitrely different matter that is absolutely subjective.

The end.

Tookay

I have no doubt Smith is a Scientologist, but some of the connections made in the Reddit post are tenuous at best.

I don't wish to start a flame war, but wouldn't a lot of this be true of most of the religions out there?

A lot of the older religions seem like attempts to explain the natural universe, but those explanations had to have been pulled out of thin air.

You're entirely right, but I can understand someone believing in a religion because they were indoctrinated with the teachings practically since birth. That's not the case with Will Smith/Tom Cruise/John Travolta and scientology. I just wish I knew what their alterior motive was for playing along with what they must surely realize is complete silliness.

To #TeamGaryIsntAScientologist: Why would Will Smith hire Gary Whitta of all people to write his scientology movie? Wouldn't he want someone "in the know"?

Yeah... I doubt that the title change was Whitta White-Knighting. The justification for the film being pro-Scientology is flimsy at best. Frankly, it just sounds like he and Shama-llama-ding-dongs previous modus-operandi; make something trite and thematically derivative with a few clumsy twists, then pray that the audience is too drunk to notice.

If 'trolling' has been relegated to laying out truth bombs, we need to add another word to the list of words that just about mean nothing now.

tQkBsmJ.gif

ghst

thanks for the laugh
well, if there was a rotten tomatoes for religions i'd expect scientology to be sitting at around 13% too.

Some of the comments on Reddit say that the poster copied and pasted the post from a forum called Luelinks. I've never heard of it, but apparently its an invite only forum that you can't even browse without an account... is it GafGold?

Also, scripts go through a bunch of hands before the film gets shot, so even if there were Scientology references, odds are that Gary Whitta didn't put them there.

It's time to quit Reddit.

Vulture is talking about it too http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/after-earth-will-smith-love-letter-to-scientology.html

Some of the comments on Reddit say that the poster copied and pasted the post from a forum called Luelinks. I've never heard of it, but apparently its an invite only forum that you can't even browse without an account... is it GafGold?

Also, scripts go through a bunch of hands before the film gets shot, so even if there were Scientology references, odds are that Gary Whitta didn't put them there.

This story was literally Will Smith's idea. It's not a spec script.

Cartman86

Banned
Getting a Christian and Agnostic? to write your Scientology film? Bleh. If there are themes that Smith wanted because of Scientology and those themes are also generally universal then who cares? It's like being pissed off when a film that promotes charity is written by Christian or Humanist or some shit.

kick51

Banned
Getting a Christian and Agnostic? to write your Scientology film? Bleh. If there are themes that Smith wanted because of Scientology and those themes are also generally universal then who cares? It's like being pissed off when a film that promotes charity is written by Christian or Humanist or some shit.

Reading these articles, it just sounds like a sci-fi movie. and as the articles point out, Hubbard's work reads like sci-fi. so Smith ripped some ideas from his religion that he felt added up to a movie. I'm trying to find the underhanded stuff that I'm supposed to be outraged about, but it's just not happening this time, internet.

I posted this in the wrong thread, so I'll repost this here.

Sort of off topic, but wasn't the original Battlestar Galactica pushing Mormon references into its show that survived into the reboot (such as Kobol/Kolob). Did that bother anyone?

Outside of this movie being bad -or potentially bad- I don't see why it'd be hard for people to separate entertainment from any ideological motivations. I suppose it depends how deep you want to delve and, sure, it is interesting... But it's not really offensive.

Clevinger

That's a better argument than the reddit one. It doesn't sound like propaganda. Will Smith just came up with a story inspired by his religion. I doubt Whitta has much to do with that.

Reading these articles, it just sounds like a sci-fi movie. and as the articles point out, Hubbard's work reads like sci-fi. so Smith ripped some ideas from his religion that he felt added up to a movie. I'm trying to find the underhanded stuff that I'm supposed to be outraged about, but it's just not happening this time, internet.

Who's outraged? Seems like people are just finding another part of a terrible movie to dislike.

Kinyou

The uniform comparison is also pretty silly. Looks more like those scientology guys are just wearing a slightly modified version of normal navy officier uniforms. Impossible to say from which one the movie got its inspiration from.

Does ID4 count?
Of course. Aliens are also a pretty big theme in Scientology!

I thought After Earth was initially based off a few panel Penny Arcade comic?

I find it disturbing that people tear into AE and Book of Eli possibly in an effort to hurt the writer who they know frequents the forum and who they think will likely read the comment.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At the very least, at least Shyamalan has stopped stroking his ego since the title doesn't have his name. Could've been "MNS's After Earth"

kick51

Banned
That's a better argument than the reddit one. It doesn't sound like propaganda. Will Smith just came up with a story inspired by his religion. I doubt Whitta has much to do with that.

Who's outraged? Seems like people are just finding another part of a terrible movie to dislike.

I see the word "propaganda" in the thread title, but now i see the thread title was changed to mock the situation. *shrug*

At the very least, at least Shyamalan has stopped stroking his ego since the title doesn't have his name. Could've been "MNS's After Earth"

That has nothing to do with him and everything to do with proper marketing.

Also why the title change? Are people not allowed to speculate on subtext in a movie anymore? Yikes...

Rokam

I find it disturbing that people tear into AE and Book of Eli possibly in an effort to hurt the writer who they know frequents the forum and who they think will likely read the comment.

That's a different movie. Don't think work on it has started.

Drakeon

I wonder if this would be at 13% if it were another director? Not to say it isn't that bad, and I am by no means defending M. Night. I'm actually genuinely curious.

I do feel bad for Whitta though.

Chichikov

I like Gary Whitt the gaf user, he's a great poster and an asset to the forum, but that really shouldn't be reason to squelch criticism of movies he worked on.
I also believe it's 100% unnecessary, I seriously doubt a screenwriter can survive in Hollywood without learning to cope with negative reviews, even from people a bit more influential than ZeldaFan69.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Um, reviews matter when the movie is universally panned. Which this one is. As in, zero redeeming qualities, zero entertainment value, a complete waste of money no matter how you slice it. Worthy of watching for free on cable only if all the other channels are showing a test pattern. Etc. etc...

oh man, it did look pretty arse from the trailers, but I wasn't expecting it to be this bad

Smith to abandon his son on a highway very soon

I like Gary Whitt the gaf user, he's a great poster and an asset to the forum, but that really shouldn't be reason to squelch criticism of movies he worked on.
I also believe it's 100% unnecessary, I seriously doubt a screenwriter can survive in Hollywood without learning to cope with negative reviews, even from people a bit more influential than ZeldaFan69.

It is one thing to criticize. It is another to resort to hyperbole in an effort to hurt the feelings of another who has had the opportunity of penning a movie.

I have no problem saying Book of Eli wasn't a great movie. I have no problem saying that certain characterizations and reactions were off given character actions. However it wasn't a steaming pile of shit. The twist alone was handled really well.

No clue about AE yet because I haven't seen it. But even Shyamalans worst has great moments and shots in it so I find it hard to believe that the film is completely without merit. May even be the case that what is good in it has nothing to do with Gary at all and instead has to do with technical competency.

web01

Pretty sure he only writes religious propaganda.
Sad that people suck up his ass just because he is a gaffer.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wonder if Shyamalan's problem is something like 'George Lucas syndrome', where the quality of his work gets worse the more power and control they give him?

I wonder if Shyamalan's problem is something like 'George Lucas syndrome', where the quality of his work gets worse the more power and control they give him?

I think his when he has more resources at hand he over develops his films. He was best when he was writing and shooting with low scope minimalism in mind.

I had heard from an animator who worked on Signs that Shyamalan doesn't have a good idea of what he wants when it comes to effects and that they make him uncomfortable to use. Don't know how true that is.

jtb

Banned

Doubt it. The Last Airbender was an adaptation and he still fucked it over, and it's not like he was anything but a director for hire for this one either.

He's just lost it, I think.

jtb

Banned
Were you expecting a great movie M.Night? You can't blame Gary for it either as the final product was probably barely his script.

M. Night has made more good (arguably great) movies than Whitta has. Failure is an orphan and all that, but let's not let any of the players off the hook just yet. Sounds like this was quite the collective failure (and I'd place most of the blame on Smith, if for no other reason than his desire to get this made).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Doubt it. The Last Airbender was an adaptation and he still fucked it over, and it's not like he was anything but a director for hire for this one either.

He's just lost it, I think.

He still got plenty of budget tho and power when he made those two, right?

M. Night has made more good (arguably great) movies than Whitta has. Failure is an orphan and all that, but let's not let any of the players off the hook just yet. Sounds like this was quite the collective failure (and I'd place most of the blame on Smith, if for no other reason than his desire to get this made).

Im not a Whitta fan (although I did like his work on TWD game) but M.Night hasn't done anything that wasn't complete shit in over a decade.

jtb

Banned
Im not a Whitta fan (although I did like his work on TWD game) but M.Night hasn't done anything that wasn't complete shit in over a decade.

goddamn, has it really been 11 years since Signs? Time flies.

okay, you're right.

I maintain that this sounds like it's got Smith's fingerprints all over it. I mean, for starters, it's a movie completely built around propelling his son to superstardom (while requiring him to do as little actual acting as possible). So, really, what's a few veiled scientology references on the side? Not like screenwriters have much power anyways.

Well M. Night seemed to lost his mind years ago. I cannot believe the same guy who directed The 6th Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs directed The Happening and The Last Airbender. You would swear it done by 2 different people.

I mentioned it in another thread, in at his once weakest with The Village and Lady in the Water, there was still competent directoring and well done cinematography due to Christopher Doyles work in Lady in the Water, but his last 2 films, it like he lost all concept of directing; even things like basic construct of on screen conversation framing is a mess, it's all poorly staged, edited, framed....it's really weird. It's a really legitimate question, what happened to the guy?

Spoilers: no

I think we would be allowed to argue about religious subtext in the movie. But asking if someone intentionally wrote religious propaganda seems a bit more than arguing subtext.

Pretty sure he only writes religious propaganda.
Sad that people suck up his ass just because he is a gaffer.

It is weird that he would write religious propaganda with different religions as the base each time. Is it propaganda in that case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom