• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I “get gud” at Dark Souls?

Maddux4164

GJ dude, rest up.

Some of the enemies crowding the crest door only have to be killed once, so lure them 1 by 1 and kill them permanently to make things easier. If u are really having a hard time with those enemies, joining the cat covenant will turn them into allies.

But you don't have to go this way if you don't want. You could go to the catacombs and fight the boss there to get +15 estus, or go to Sens and Anor Londo to get the Lord vessel. You say you got the rustic ring, but did you get the doll and fight the optional boss? There might be more to do back that way...

nite.
Recall getting a doll. For SURE. What optional boss? Also, joined the cat cov already too.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dark Souls has a high difficulty and you'll die a lot but what I've found once you play through the game and know where everything is and what everything can do then the game gets progressively easier.

It's still very unforgiving on a mistake or two but I always find it fun to learn how to beat something that was feeding you your own face.

You’ve been a fantastic help. Thank you for kinda “keeping me company” and advising as I played earlier, touch fuzzy.

Did not expect Blight Town to go so quickly. Whew. Unreal. But we got 3 bosses down tonight and collected many cool stuff. It’s Sens Fortress time. Chat later. Bed for me. I’m exhausted
Ugh I didn't like Sen's Fortress, but you'll crush it while bleeding like the Demon Slayer you are 💪🏻

Maddux4164

Conflicted.

Sens fortress tonight? Or maybe fight the folks behind the “crest” door in the Darkroot?
Go fight the Hydra?
Fight Havel for his armor?

What’s the best move here? (Already joined the cat cov and such btw)

part of me wants to kill the spider cov person for the fire keepers soul too

laynelane

Fighting Havel gives you his ring which will allow you to equip heavier armour and weapons. His armour isn't available until Anor Londo. The ring is worth getting, I think. Beating the Hyrdra now might be a good idea if you want to start making preparations for entering the DLC. If you fight the folks behind the door in Darkroot, it will be considered a betrayal of the cat covenant. It's not a big deal, but just thought I'd let you know.

I like to get as much stuff done as possible before doing Sens. The levels help as does the items you can pick up.

Maddux4164

Fighting Havel gives you his ring which will allow you to equip heavier armour and weapons. His armour isn't available until Anor Londo. The ring is worth getting, I think. Beating the Hyrdra now might be a good idea if you want to start making preparations for entering the DLC. If you fight the folks behind the door in Darkroot, it will be considered a betrayal of the cat covenant. It's not a big deal, but just thought I'd let you know.

I like to get as much stuff done as possible before doing Sens. The levels help as does the items you can pick up.
Bingo. These thoughts exactly. Yes… meant his ring. You’re correct. It’ll help me be able to armor up.

Might tackle the Hydra/Havel prior to Sens fortress. Want to get as much done as I can Prior to that nightmare

laynelane

Bingo. These thoughts exactly. Yes… meant his ring. You’re correct. It’ll help me be able to armor up.

Might tackle the Hydra/Havel prior to Sens fortress. Want to get as much done as I can Prior to that nightmare

Also, about killing the spider covenant lady...are you interested in doing Solaire's quest line? And are you online?

laynelane

Yes. And also yes. (Not this second if that’s what you’re asking) also btw I’m playing OG dark souls on PC. Not the remaster.

I'm not sure how much you want to know, don't want to give unwanted spoilers, but if you kill the spider covenant lady you will be locked into the bad ending of Solaire's quest. As well, you can accrue sin in DS for certain actions. Angering covenant leaders (eg. attacking the covenant members while in the cat covenant) and killing them will do that. Which opens you up for invasions from the Blades of the Darkmoon. I think you already have some due to killing the merchant for the Uchi too. Those invasions can be good or bad depending on how much you like PVP.

Maddux4164

I'm not sure how much you want to know, don't want to give unwanted spoilers, but if you kill the spider covenant lady you will be locked into the bad ending of Solaire's quest. As well, you can accrue sin in DS for certain actions. Angering covenant leaders (eg. attacking the covenant members while in the cat covenant) and killing them will do that. Which opens you up for invasions from the Blades of the Darkmoon. I think you already have some due to killing the merchant for the Uchi too. Those invasions can be good or bad depending on how much you like PVP.
Basically I cant be spoiled on DS. But was not aware those were the consequences. Probably not worth it just for a fire keepers soul then. Think I’ll hold off. Even if my sins can be absolved, I want to do solaire’s quest FOR SURE.

Last edited:
Maddux4164 Maddux4164 , the only way you will ever know is until you beat the game. Otherwise, it's best you just think the game is getting ready to sucker punch you. Cuz it's likely the liver punch is incoming.

Maddux4164

Be wary, that's all you gotta keep in mind, imo. Everything is a feint. Once you realize when they're trying to fake you out, that's when you got 'em.
Yeah. Felt I was doing well, beat 3 bosses in 1 sitting. Leveled up my weapon. Etc then attempted Sens for a minute and could not kill 1 snake dude. Barely even hurt him. So, thinking I’ll prepare more and snag Havels ring and kill the Hydra etc

Probably died 10-15 times the entire game prior to attempting Sens and also the Crest door.

Last edited:
Yeah. Felt I was doing well, beat 3 bosses in 1 sitting. Leveled up my weapon. Etc then attempted Sens for a minute and could not kill 1 snake dude. Barely even hurt him. So, thinking I’ll prepare more and snag Havels ring and kill the Hydra etc

Probably died 10-15 times the entire game prior to attempting Sens and also the Crest door.
If on PC, would happily coop if needed, not that I could provide much support. Hit me up if you want to experience combined ineptitude. It's easier to spread the guilt that way. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

luffie

Getting Gud is really about changing your mindset about how you approach the game and it's obstacles. And souls series does it so well.

Nowadays in every 3rd person game that I play, I check my surroundings, every door in entered in Souls games, I backstep for ambush, check the ceiling for ambush, check the corners for hidden passage. It has made me a more thorough player than before.

Maddux4164

Getting Gud is really about changing your mindset about how you approach the game and it's obstacles. And souls series does it so well.

Nowadays in every 3rd person game that I play, I check my surroundings, every door in entered in Souls games, I backstep for ambush, check the ceiling for ambush, check the corners for hidden passage. It has made me a more thorough player than before.
Exactly. Every room is a damn ambush in DS 🤣😂🤣😂 crazy. Also discovery is 90% of the game. Crazy how much you wont see if you just run through it.

You might think about the catacombs for the extra estus if you're dying a lot at sens, although it can be bitch to climb back out of there afterwards. If you're at a level where the snake men are really tough, parries and backstabs will be the best way to deal with them. If that doesn't suit your playstyle, you may have to go back to old blighty to get enough large shards to make your uchi +10 so you can hurt em good. Don't forget dex is the base stat for uchi, it's damage is connect to how high your dex is, you wanna get dex to around 40. If that's not appealing, you may have to cheese them with arrows, for example poison arrows, or many of them can knocked off of things by headshots with arrows, which knock enemies back. This is certainly a consideration when dealing with the lightning shooting serpents above you but it depends on angles, poisoning and patience might be better.

Killing Hydra is also a great task for where you are currently at, it will seem too easy later. Did you meet Dusk before? Once you kill hydra, quit and reload, then wade into swamp looking for a gold golem

No time to stick around, but I agree that taking out Havel for his ring is a great idea, it is one of the best rings in the game along with ring of favour and protection and hornet ring, which is acquired in the forest area you mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

You might think about the catacombs for the extra estus if you're dying a lot at sens, although it can be bitch to climb back out of there afterwards. If you're at a level where the snake men are really tough, parries and backstabs will be the best way to deal with them. If that doesn't suit your playstyle, you may have to go back to old blighty to get enough large shards to make your uchi +10 so you can hurt em good. Don't forget dex is the base stat for uchi, it's damage is connect to how high your dex is, you wanna get dex to around 40. If that's not appealing, you may have to cheese them with arrows, for example poison arrows, or many of them can knocked off of things by headshots with arrows, which knock enemies back. This is certainly a consideration when dealing with the lightning shooting serpents above you but it depends on angles, poisoning and patience might be better.

Killing Hydra is also a great task for where you are currently at, it will seem too easy later.

No time to stick around, but I agree that taking out Havel for his ring is a great idea, it is one of the best rings in the game along with ring of favour and protection and hornet ring, which is acquired in the forest area you mentioned earlier.
Great points. Thanks. I’ve got the ring of protection of course. But yes… need Havels. Might have to farm for some titanite unfortunately. Yep. I’m +7 on Uchi. Got to raise it more.

Dex for sure. That’s the focus tonight. Love the Uchi. It’s lightening quick attacks are helpful. It’s almost more powerful than my Drake since it’s now +7. It’ll be the only weapon I use later.
In that case I'd advise you to consider working towards putting 30 in either faith or Int so you can cast a powerful buff on it. I would recommend int for someone who hasn't beaten the game since you have to jump through some hoops to get faith weapon buffs, and you can get lesser buffs at lower INT stats like "great magic weapon" before getting "crystal magic weapon" later when you have high INT.

Casting power within and crystal magic weapon on your maxed out uchi +15 at 40 dex, then 2 handing and R1ing, well....you chop down bosses like Link cutting the grass looking for rupees

Maddux4164

In that case I'd advise you to consider working towards putting 30 in either faith or Int so you can cast a powerful buff on it. I would recommend int for someone who hasn't beaten the game since you have to jump through some hoops to get faith weapon buffs, and you can get lesser buffs at lower INT stats like "great magic weapon" before getting "crystal magic weapon" later when you have high INT.

Casting power within and crystal magic weapon on your maxed out uchi +15 at 40 dex, then 2 handing and R1ing, well....you chop down bosses like Link cutting the grass looking for rupees
Whew. Not my play style. Feels like the easy way out. Not saying I won’t take it into account and even pump a few into it. It’s just certainly not priority ya know?

Maddux4164

Sad face. Just loaded up my DS save and it's at the very beginning (crow just flew me out). Guessing it didn't have a Steam save or somesuch. Bleh, anywho...let me know when you get to DS3 and want to coop. Although, I should have some DS2 saves, too. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Meh. I mean, just started myself a couple days ago 🤪 add me on steam anyhow

Hydra killing gave me a dragon scale. Worth it to upgrade the drake once since I’ve got the scale? Andre do that? He need a special ember or anything?
Do you know Dusk? And the golden golem? If not, quit and reload in the hydra area and explore the swamp. (Gold golem doesn't appear unless you quit and reload.)

Thing about the scale is, there's multiple scale using weapons (all weapons based on cutting off a dragon's tail.) And the others are better than the drake sword. You don't need an ember.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Do you know Dusk? And the golden golem? If not, quit and reload in the hydra area and explore the swamp. (Gold golem doesn't appear unless you quit and reload.)

Thing about the scale is, there's many scale using weapons (all weapons based on cutting off a dragon's tail.) And the others are better than the drake sword. You don't need an ember.
I did quit and reloaded. Not sure what dusk is. But the gold Gollum killed me. Headed back to fight him

Maddux4164

She said summon her if I need To. I’m assuming it’s DLC related. But she ain’t give me nothing. So how would I do such if I wanted To?

Maddux4164

No idea what to tackle next

Killed Hydra
Met dusk
Killed Havel
Leveled up a tiny bit (maybe 3-5 levels)

What I‘d like is to level up my sword.

Or is there some other quick task that‘s rewarding I can tackle?

laynelane

No idea what to tackle next

Killed Hydra
Met dusk
Killed Havel
Leveled up a tiny bit (maybe 3-5 levels)

What I‘d like is to level up my sword.

Or is there some other quick task that‘s rewarding I can tackle?

Have you been down to the New Londo Ruins? There's a Firekeeper Soul you can pick up there. It's in the area where you encounter the first two ghosts. There's a vase on route to it with a body in it. That body has an item you need in order to fight the ghosts. You could also just run in and out too. The item/Firekeeper Soul is very visible, easy to find. You could also go fight Sif although that may not be a quick task since it's a bit of a journey to reach him. Same as the optional boss fight in the Northern Undead Asylum. He drops a titanite slab and is susceptible to the bleed of your Uchi.

For upgrading your sword, there's six large titanite shards in Sens. Other than that, your best best would be the slugs down in Blightown.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Have you been down to the New Londo Ruins? There's a Firekeeper Soul you can pick up there. It's in the area where you encounter the first two ghosts. There's a vase on route to it with a body in it. That body has an item you need in order to fight the ghosts. You could also just run in and out too. The item/Firekeeper Soul is very visible, easy to find. You could also go fight Sif although that may not be a quick task since it's a bit of journey to reach him. Same as the optional boss fight in the Northern Undead Asylum. He drops a titanite slab and is susceptible to the bleed of your Uchi.

For upgrading your sword, there's six large titanite shards in Sens. Other than that, your best best would be the slugs down in Blightown.
In blight town now. Killed like 186217 slugs and got 1 slab.

Already have the new Londo fire keepers soul

umm. So I should Go fight the “tutorial boss” round 2? That the suggestion? not against, wanna be sure thats what we are speaking on

In blight town now. Killed like 186217 slugs and got 1 slab.

Already have the new Londo fire keepers soul

umm. So I should Go fight the “tutorial boss” round 2? That the suggestion? not against, wanna be sure thats what we are speaking on
with lev +10 sword? yeh no problem. Just watch for and block/dodge his explosion attack

Top Bottom