• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I kill my tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin85

So I was working on a film in my room yesterday and had two lights that I plugged into the wall. There were no problems there. After the shoot, I plugged my tv back into the wall. This morning I tried to turn the tv on, but it didn't do anything. The outlet works fine, but the tv isn't responding at all with that or any of the other outlets. Is it dead?

Justin85 said:
I'm going to bump this just to see if anyone knows what went wrong here.

Not. Enough. Info.

Does the TV work plugged in anywhere else? Are you trying both the remote and the on-TV controls?

Unless you saw some crazy surge going on, just unplug/plugging it back into the wall probably didn't kill it. But if you can't get the TV to turn back on it's entirely possible something internal failed and you will either need to deal with a repairman or give up on it.

Justin85

It doesn't work in any of the outlets, and it doesn't work with the power button or the remote. So is this just a coincidence with using the lights?

Justin85 said:
It doesn't work in any of the outlets, and it doesn't work with the power button or the remote. So is this just a coincidence with using the lights?

Probably.

a. Your lights aren't plugged into the TV; they're plugged into the wall. If they fucked with the power supply you wouldn't be able to use anything right now let alone a TV. If other things (and the lights) still work, then neither is at fault.

b. If you really wanted to be anal about it, try the TV in a place where you are absolutely sure it should work (ie: friends house, neighbour's, whatever) but it sounds like it's toast at this point, especially if you read and tried out 'a'.

I'm hardly an electrician but it sounds very much like something in your TV died upon turning it off or unplugging it from the wall. Very random, but hey, with the wild quality of power supplied to wall outlets, not exactly a surprise either.

If you're convinced the TV has met it's day, buy a new one. If you really want to find out what happened, take it in for repairs and ask what's wrong with it. It will basically come down to internal damage - something the TV itself did and was basically unpredictable - or a serious short - something the wall outlet did, which might make you look at outlet filters or power bars with regulated output in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom