• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That the game was very linear and it was near impossible to do FFVII esque level of world size with those graphical assets within time and budget.

I think the game was always going to be linear. The same team worked on FFX, which is largely similar.

Zafir

I always laugh when people look at X and Xb and say how it's like MH or anything.
The game is pretty much a more competent FFXII but yeah I guess that game was also like MH...

Well, I meant in aesthetics actually. Gameplay wise, you're right, it's closer to XII, with a better battle system.

Edit: This can also be a response to the other 2 moaning about how it's nothing like Monster Hunter too.

Eidan

Only Youtube-played Skyrim, but I don't see how the comparison is warranted at all, even while taking the few bits of Versus' gameplay footage released so far... you're comparing an A-RPG (as in "American") using a first person point of view and that focuses on exploration to a J-RPG using regular camera and that focuses on action. In a word, Versus might require more resources than Skyrim, moreover if it remains exclusive to the PS3. Sounds like your grief is more over aesthetics than technique.

I only discussed the two because I saw the comparison made earlier.

I don't think it's fair to compare them, because as said before, we're comparing a completed game against dated footage of a game that has yet to be released. It's really not fair to Versus.

That said, Skyrim clearly looks better than the Versus trailer we saw. The environments in Versus simply look sparse and lifeless. They were also sparse and lifeless in the Kingdom Heart titles, so I wasn't that surprised by it. Hopefully when Versus comes out in 20XX, Square will handle that.

Mael

Well, I meant in aesthetics actually. Gameplay wise, you're right, it's closer to XII, with a better battle system.

Edit: This can also be a response to the other 2 moaning about how it's nothing like Monster Hunter too.

Well if you look at FFXII there's a huge emphasis on what MH did on ps2.
The biggest monsters certainly wouldn't look amiss in MH either.
That's a bit unfair to MH though because that's one game that is really nothing like the usual RPG you tend to get (it's not even that much of an RPG even).

About Skyrim Vs VsXIII, there's something VsXIII will always have is that it doesn't crash the ps3 when you play it and it should be a playable game too.

I don't want to give Square points because they've been fucking up for a while now but, the X trailer did little for me aside from confirming its existence. It's a dude running around a regular ass field with dinosaurs in it. Show something like Eryth Sea, that was an eye catching area. Felt like I was looking at Just Cause 2

Zafir

Well if you look at FFXII there's a huge emphasis on what MH did on ps2.
The biggest monsters certainly wouldn't look amiss in MH either.
That's a bit unfair to MH though because that's one game that is really nothing like the usual RPG you tend to get (it's not even that much of an RPG even).

About Skyrim Vs VsXIII, there's something VsXIII will always have is that it doesn't crash the ps3 when you play it and it should be a playable game too.
Oh, I was actually comparing XII and Xenoblade with the battle system comment, probably should have confirmed that. I wouldn't really compare the gameplay of MH with either XII or Xenoblade, as you quite rightly stated, it isn't like most jrpgs.

Mael

Oh, I was actually comparing XII and Xenoblade with the battle system comment, probably should have confirmed that. I wouldn't really compare the gameplay of MH with either XII or Xenoblade, as you quite rightly stated, it isn't like most jrpgs.

I know, I was commenting on the less often comparison between MH and FFXII.
Heck MH can thank its lucky star I loved FFXII cause I bought a PSP with MHFU and MH3 because of that :lol

Zafir

I know, I was commenting on the less often comparison between MH and FFXII.
Heck MH can thank its lucky star I loved FFXII cause I bought a PSP with MHFU and MH3 because of that :lol
Fair enough. I'm not actually that big of a fan of Monster Hunter, but that always came down to the fact, I always seemed to have a problem with the controls(Always seemed a bit awkward). Maybe I'll like the WiiU/3DS controls more, who knows.

Equus Bellator Apex

Not running over, flying over.

amekbv.gif

fuck that looks amazing

Mael

To be honest I don't see what's so bad about Versus on that gif. Looks fine to me?

Doesn't look like years of devs either...

Fair enough. I'm not actually that big of a fan of Monster Hunter, but that always came down to the fact, I always seemed to have a problem with the controls(Always seemed a bit awkward). Maybe I'll like the WiiU/3DS controls more, who knows.

I'd say try MH3, if you can't stomach it then it's probably not for you.
I mean as far as control goes.
I prefer MHFU personnally.

vareon

Doesn't look like years of devs either...

Oh, if you count all that years since the announcement then yes it's nothing special. Then again I don't know how long they worked on that particular build.

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/pc/t/h/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-pc-1303134798-034.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I played Skyrim, and not sure I understand your point.

Mael

Oh, if you count all that years since the announcement then yes it's nothing special. Then again I don't know how long they worked on that particular build.

If it wasn't an alpha thing then it's ugly as all hell, FFXIII wouldn't never look that bad IMO.
I don't know but I hate the way the grass is in that shot and the draw distance is nothign great either

If you played it on ps3 you even had the nice feature of the game literally stop playing at some times :p

Eidan

Versus doesn't look ugly. It's just that Skyrim's environments are packed with far more detail, and thus, look a hell of a lot better than what we saw in the Versus footage.

vareon

If it wasn't an alpha thing then it's ugly as all hell, FFXIII wouldn't never look that bad IMO.

Searching the best version of that trailer now, maybe I'll see something else.

If you played it on ps3 you even had the nice feature of the game literally stop playing at some times :p

Too bad I played it on a fairly capable PC :p Though that doesn't stop the game crashing sometimes, even vanilla!

Narolf

Banned

Narolf

Banned
Same here. The trailer tickles my imagination for two years now. My mind is blown every time I watch and re-watch the transition from the forest-wood with the first person point of view to the sandbox country-side, with the piano in the background. Also, that one-man army feel, dayum. The close-knit group of friends against the almighty mafia, one of them being a hero while the others back him in his own personal quest. Very Final Fantasy-ish, in other words. 2015 is my guess, considering that would represent ten years after the development started.

kswiston

The only thing that looks similar to MH is when the mech cuts the monster's tail. Otherwise its nothing like monster hunter.

Not really super relevant to this thread, but the mech is cutting off that monster's head. Not tail. you see that same sauropod looking monster earlier in the trailer. Keep seeing people mention a tail cut, when it is a head cut :p

I'd like to see a lot more gameplay before we decide that this is an open world game on the same scale as Skyrim. It would be awesome if this had fully explorable cities/buildings in a seamless world, but I am honestly expecting the same discrete zones and decorative cities (where most buildings are off limits) that Xenoblade. Just with bigger zone fields that incorporate more vertical elements.

As I said, when they come out I'm getting both.

Why the hell would I restrict myself from possibly good JRPGs just because I want to put one on a pedestal.

That's bad for your body, your mind, your should and it makes you look stupid.

It doesn't matter how long it takes, what matters is if it's good or not.

Narolf

Banned

Grammatical hiccup here, thus let me ask: what do you mean, exactly? Are you saying FFXIII will always look better than Versus no matter what? Or that FFXIII already looked better than Versus even on its alpha stages, back when the first trailer had been revealed in 2006?

ari

Banned
so um....its sounds like versus will be a thing...so what else did square done lately?

yea, square fallen off the fucking map.

Snakeyes

It's about time for Monolith to hire people that can put a quality cinematic teaser together or they'll never be able to attract a good chunk of the mainstream RPG audience. The only reason why some people are still defending Versus is because of the incredible first impression it made with its CGI trailers. Take away all the fluff, and there's nothing truly impressive about what's been shown so far, gameplay-wise.

ari

Banned
It's about time for Monolith to hire people that can put a quality cinematic teaser together or they'll never be able to attract a good chunk of the mainstream RPG audience. The only reason why some people are still defending Versus is because of the incredible first impression it made with its CGI trailers. Take away all the fluff, and there's nothing truly impressive about what's been shown so far, gameplay-wise.

its sad that a trailer shouldn't show gameplay over CGI to impress people.

Narolf

Banned
Eidan, just to make sure, your avatar is a shot taken from the movie Lust Caution, right?

so um....its sounds like versus will be a thing...so what else did square done lately?

yea, square fallen off the fucking map.
Will make the rise from the dead even brighter.

Soriku

The only thing that's maddening right now is that they were confident enough to show off Versus 2 years ago but now they can't? WTF? I know they're focusing on LR/FF XIV now, but come on, they can show something. Anything would make lots of fans happy.

The only thing that's maddening right now is that they were confident enough to show off Versus 2 years ago but now they can't? WTF? I know they're focusing on LR/FF XIV now, but come on, they can show something. Anything would make lots of fans happy.

That's really frustrating yes.

They do have shit to show and nobody can tell me they can't.

They just aren't, because SE is fucking stupid.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

"The future of Final Fantasy will come soon"

Narolf

Banned

I genuinely believe the wait and all speculations it warrants in that respect are part of the marketing process.

ari

Banned
Eidan, just to make sure, your avatar is a shot taken from the movie Lust Caution, right?

Will make the rise from the dead even brighter.

i don't know man, selling out on the ios and profiting off of mmo's is one thing, but not making a quality title for 6 years?

how do you show promise with closing out the last generation with the likes of ff12 and dragon quest 8 to opening this gen up with ports and rehashes, and closing out this gen with ff all the bravest and lightning returns?

EDIT: people think that versus is a AAA title that is put on a pedestal at Square? lol.,..wow.

CorvoSol

May as well say any game that has you attacking a "monster" is a MH knockoff.

People do exactly this. Remember how many said Type-0 was a Monster Hunter rip off?

Type-1 Framework was done, I know that much. Tabata also expressed interest in a Before Crisis Remake for 3DS, and has also expressed he wished to make what he deemed a "true" sequel to the Parasite Eve IP.

He did mention a possible sequel thing for Type 0's world, but speculation at best.

Our Tabata, Who Art in Heaven

What do you mean by compromise?

Like, you know, they compromised their integrity, their dignity, their souls. That sort of thing is what I think of when I think Square Enix and Compromise.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Hashimoto said they'd show it this year. You just have to wait.

Top Bottom