• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Shovel Knight hint at God of War 4 location/ pantheon?

sn00zer

UPDATE 2: Wooo!

UPDATE 1: AAAAAND Boom goes the Dynamit
pFS1b2R.png

https://twitter.com/yachtclubgames/status/742528618383843328

"I wonder if our choice of location was subtle enough of a hint..."

Actually this is going to sound weird, but Shovel Knight may have actually given a hint to Kratos' involvement post God of War 3 and potentially confirms Norse mythology. The Shovel Knight crew worked closely with Sony Santa Monica so its not entirely crazy.
Jm96Qur.png

https://youtu.be/-i0Hhl9soYI?t=35
Kratos is portrayed as a nomad wearing a cloak he has never been shown with in any of the games. In God of War 3 he essentially just leaves Mt. Olympus with no indication that he is staying in Greece. Further more the background is a snowy field and mountains and area not largely present in the God of War series outside of one dungeon in GOW2, and makes a lot of sense for Norse mythology.

Next the background created for this battle is NOT Mt. Olympus. Here is concept art of Mt. Olympus in God of War 3
and here is the mountain in Shovel Knight
And interviews http://sms.playstation.com/news/godofwar-shovelknight-interview/
Can you give some insight into the collaborative art and gameplay process in creating Kratos with both our respective teams?

It was a blast! We had the pleasure of visiting Santa Monica Studio's gorgeous brand new facilities to discuss our gameplay, story, art, and sound ideas with key members of the God of War team! It was very exciting to bounce concepts back and forth and get a better understanding for how the God of War team viewed their character and world. After we laid the foundation with the team, Yacht Club Games went into development mode and start crafting gameplay, music, and the look of the character. It was quite a challenge to pack all of Kratos' muscles into so few pixels! Every time we saw a new attack or animation go in-game we thought “This has to be even more intense!” to match the spirit of the series. I think because of that, Kratos ended up as a well rounded and hearty boss battle -- and of course contains no shortage of screen shakes! We definitely got an appreciation for how much work Santa Monica Studio has put into the franchise, and why Kratos is so beloved. It was an absolute pleasure to work with everyone!

Notice they do not mention designing the environment themselves, only the gameplay, character, and music. Which would make me think Sony Santa Monica were the ones who worked on that.

I'm in. I'm definitely in the mood for a new God of war, if only to have another eight hours of that brand of spectacle and visual fidelity

firen

This was Jaffe's vision!

david jaffe said:
In an interview with GameTrailers.com, David Jaffe explained his story to God of War III. The first cutscene featured Oceanus in his water form (similar to Poseidon's God form) killing Hermes. Kratos then would fight Zeus in the opening boss fight and kill him. Then a portal opens on Mt. Olympus where the Egyptian and Norse Gods descend from. The Titans and the Greek, Egyptian, and Norse Gods wage a war to determine who would ultimately rule the world. Kratos then discovers the power to teleport back and forth through Norway, Egypt, and Greece. Kratos encounters Stheno and takes her head in a boss fight. Then in another boss fight with the Sphinx, Kratos uses Stheno's head to turn the beast into stone (and that's how we have the Sphinx statue today in Egypt). Kratos then realizes the way to permanently kill a God is to get mortals to stop believing in them. Kratos' plan was already in effect because the Gods were focused on ruling the world and had their minds off of the mortals. Thus, the mortal world was under natural disasters. The mortals stopped believing in the Gods, which weakened them. Kratos & the Titans kill off the remaining Gods. Kratos then uses the Blades of Athena to slit his wrists, resulting in another trip to the Underworld where he is reunited with his wife & daughter. The final cutscene showed the Three Wise Men heading to the North Star resulting with the birth of Christianity.

Bit of War, a God of War III demake, follows David Jaffe's version of the plot loosely.

Source

A-V-B

This was Jaffe's vision!

Source

Man, what happened to this industry that basically every director/writer got set loose from their franchise, and someone else finished it and fucked up the vision?

Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, God of War... it's sort of crazy, when you think about it. Kojima might be the only guy who gets to end it the way he wants to.

desmax

Yeah, I though the cape was really out of place.

Didn't understand why he had it when I first played it

DarkKyo

I'm down with a Norse God of War, but do they really have to bring Kratos back instead of getting a new protagonist?

I think it's cool, like he's fighting his way through other religions, toppling foreign gods... What's also cool is that he can get bizarre-themed weapons from other cultures now.

Wait, people actually liked the founding religions idea? I had always used it as an example of laughably bad ideas that never got past the concept stage.

Bloodrage

Banned
The blood trail just goes off the edge of a cliff... Not sure it could really go anywhere but down. Also the giant gashing hole in his chest. I thought it mirrored the ending of one very well.
What I'm saying it seems like someone/something took it. If they wanted us to believe he dragged himself off the cliff, I think they would have shown that, since it would also mirror the original God of War opening, him trying to kill himself. Why make the disappeared body a post-credits scene?

KC Denton

Wait, people actually liked the founding religions idea? I had always used it as an example of laughably bad ideas that never got past the concept stage.

It sounds like a cool idea to people who have never bothered to look up the time periods these religions were actively worshiped or know nothing about these religions beyond what they read in Marvel comics.

Devil

I'm all up for any other setting. But PLEASE without Kratos. For one I wouldn't like a world where Greek, Egyptian and Norse gods exist at the same time, should be just one of them. But more importantly, fuck Kratos.

Man, what happened to this industry that basically every director/writer got set loose from their franchise, and someone else finished it and fucked up the vision?

Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, God of War... it's sort of crazy, when you think about it. Kojima might be the only guy who gets to end it the way he wants to.

Mass Effect didn't have a defined ending from the start and apart from Karpyshyn the people who created the universe (like Hudson who started the idea, or Walters who had written Cerberus, Garrus and Wrex in ME1) were still there...not saying it wasn't a clusterfuck but yknow.

AC...yeah.......what Nolan North said the other week about Ubi's og idea sounded amazing. Did Jaffe get fired or just leave? Apart from AC your "every director/writer got set loose" applies to neither Mass Effect or GoW. Karpyshyn left to write SWTOR because he was a Star Wars fanboy. All I know is Jaffe made another Twisted Metal game.

Y'all be pushing Egyptian and Norse mythology when y'all know deep down that the only true answer is Indian mythology. Let's go fuck up Shiva!

A-V-B

Mass Effect didn't have a defined ending from the start and apart from Karpyshyn the people who created the universe (like Hudson who started the idea, or Walters who had written Cerberus, Garrus and Wrex in ME1) were still there...not saying it wasn't a clusterfuck but yknow.

Losing Karpyshyn was HUGE. He was the lead writer, and there was basically no one who could fill his shoes. They also lost some of the better writers from ME1 and ME2. By ME3, all that was left was basically Patrick Weekes. John Dombrow came in as a last minute save -- relative to the series -- for Tuchanka.

Can't see too many people being happy killing the gods of the world's third largest religion.
Yeah. It's easy to do Greek/Roman or Norse or Egyptian or whatever because they are no longer followed, but no major publisher is going to have a game where you go around killing the gods of a major world religion.

Fbh

Not sure if Shovel Knight was really hinting at anything GOW related.

But SSM have confirmed they are working on a new GOW and I don't see any other way to get people excited about it other than introducing a new mythology. Norse or Egyptian make sense, as they are both generally well known and have plenty of gods and creatures to kill.

"Kill Zeus...again" and "fight some lesser known greek creatures" would be an easy way to get NO hype for the new game

Imagine this with more of an open world type of setting for each region.

If it's Open world I'll be really dissapointed.

Top Bottom