• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Butterfly Effect have multiple endings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vieo

My sister claimed the movie had multiple endings and they showed a different ending to the movie depending on where you lived. If the movie did have multiple endings, how many? I can sort of see this being true. The movie was made in such a way that if you took the segments where he gets his hands blown off and the segment where this girlfriend didn't kill himself, you could switch the order in which they were played and the movie would still make since-- much the way you could take a chain, rearrange the links, and you still get a cohereant chain.

The ending I got was he just decided to scare her really bad when he was a kid so that they wouldn't become friends in the future. Although, I think that was crappy idea because I'm sure her father would have still abused her.

in DVD has an alternate ending where he goes all the way back in time and strangles himself in his mothers womb with his own umbilical cord. And thats a true story.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Ninja Scooter said:
in DVD has an alternate ending where he goes all the way back in time and strangles himself in his mothers womb with his own umbilical cord. And thats a true story.

I hope you're a filthy liar

Ninja Scooter said:
when I heard about this other ending I was hoping the person was lying. Sadly, they weren't.

And the Butterfly does not Affect, he Effects.

Zaptruder

Banned
That idiot should've just redone the ending where he stops the mom and baby from been blown up.

Like thrown a rock at her to get her attention while the box exploded.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Vieo said:
The ending I got was he just decided to scare her really bad when he was a kid so that they wouldn't become friends in the future. Although, I think that was crappy idea because I'm sure her father would have still abused her.

The whole point of him scaring her was so that she (and her brother) would go and live with her mother instead of staying to live with her father. If you remember earlier in the movie, she told him that was the day she decided to stay with her father because she liked him.

The reason I liked the alternate ending was because in another part of the movie his mother said that she had a few (I think it was four) miscarriage before he was born. After watching that ending and remembering that his father had the same ability you realize that his dead siblings also had that ability and probably did the same thing as him.

Vieo said:
Uh, the point was that the only reason she stayed with her father was because she wanted to be around ... whatever the main characters name was... with him never being her friend she would have taken the option to live with her mother and have a better life.

edit: whoops im late

Bigfoot

Wasn't there 3 different endings?:

1) See's her in NY and talks to her
2) See's her in NY and walks the other way
3) The fucked up baby thing

Fuzzy said:
The reason I liked the alternate ending was because in another part of the movie his mother said that she had a few (I think it was four) miscarriage before he was born. After watching that ending and remembering that his father had the same ability you realize that his dead siblings also had that ability and probably did the same thing as him.

Damn, I can't believe I didn't pay attention on that part of the movie, everything would have made more sense...the movie still sucked...but slightly better now. Genius

Che

Banned
Vieo said:
My sister claimed the movie had multiple endings and they showed a different ending to the movie depending on where you lived. If the movie did have multiple endings, how many? I can sort of see this being true. The movie was made in such a way that if you took the segments where he gets his hands blown off and the segment where this girlfriend didn't kill himself, you could switch the order in which they were played and the movie would still make since-- much the way you could take a chain, rearrange the links, and you still get a cohereant chain.

Funny thing... I saw this ^ ending at the cinema but it didn't exist in the DVD. WTF?!?!?! And the movie was GREAT btw.

Vlad

I don't know how many versions of the DVD have been released so far, but the one I rented had the theatrical cut on one side, and the director's cut on the other...

Vlad said:
I don't know how many versions of the DVD have been released so far, but the one I rented had the theatrical cut on one side, and the director's cut on the other...
yeah. Flip the disc over guys, you'll see the other version. :)

Phoenix

Ninja Scooter said:

:lol :lol :lol

Thank goodness they didn't show that in theaters or the person in front of me would have had Pepsi all over them as I would have spit it out from laughing so hard!

It's been a while since I've seen this film, but does anyone else feel that the title "The Butterfly Effect" wasn't really appropriate for this movie?

Having read James Gleick's "Chaos", I thought the whole idea of the Butterfly Effect was that a tiny, insignificant action can have tremendous ramifications far out of proportion from what one might expect. But in the film, the plot centered on choices made in life changing events like
planting the mailbox bomb
standing up to a father's abuse
, and
terrifying a little girl so she'll move away
. So, it's not surprising that that choices like these led to vastly different realities. To me, that's not the concept of the Butterfly Effect.

Phoenix

Lucky Forward said:
It's been a while since I've seen this film, but does anyone else feel that the title "The Butterfly Effect" wasn't really appropriate for this movie?

Having read James Gleick's "Chaos", I thought the whole idea of the Butterfly Effect was that a tiny, insignificant action can have tremendous ramifications far out of proportion from what one might expect.

The significance of the action isn't a factor. The "Butterfly Effect" is related to the effect of variations in the initial conditions of a dynamic system producing large variations in the long term behavior of the system. The only thing that it actually means is that complex systems are impossible to predict over long periods of time. Its actually one of the things that we accept as a flaw in our modelling of climate in weather. It is impossible for us to input all of the variables, yet these variables have long reaching impact down the road that can't be seen or predicted.

As such the name "The Bufferfly Effect" is actually appropriate.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I thought it was a pretty good movie. I bought the DVD, but I can't really look at it too often as it is a bit disturbing.

mr.beers

dskillzhtown said:
I thought it was a pretty good movie. I bought the DVD, but I can't really look at it too often as it is a bit disturbing.

i liked it a lot too, ashton did a very good job with the part, honestly.

down with the hate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom