• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you enjoy Guitar Hero/Rock Band games?

Robb

Gold Member
I enjoyed Guitar Hero a lot. Rockband became I bit much with all the accessories imo. The guitar was always my favorite anyway.

radewagon

I adored them. I would love for them to come back. My only ask is that they stick with the traditional formula (nothing weird like GH's last game) and make sure all the guitar buttons use clicky keyboard microswitches that can be easily swapped out to suit one's preferences.

skit_data

Frets on Fire was where it was at

I remember making pretty decent tabs for wierd swedish Könsrock-songs and had a blast

Made one for this, for example:

Last edited:

cireza

No. I could not look at these moving notes for long before they were printed in my mind for hours or days. I really liked the idea, but it was impossible for me to enjoy the games.

I did enjoy more DJ Max on Vita. The patterns and colors were less repetitive so it was bearable.

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

Absolutely loved them. Reached expert pro drums in Rock Band which led me to buy my first drumset - I'm still playing 15 years later. I still get the itch to play through GH3/RB3 from time to time, but instruments are sadly hard to come by nowadays.

Fbh

Rockband was pretty fun to play with friends after some drinks. Never liked it enough to actually own it though but I knew a few people who had the whole set.
Never cared much for guitar hero, it always seemed like the sort of time it would take to master it would be better spent learning an actual instrument.

Quasicat

I’ve downloaded/imported over 500 songs into Rock Band 4, still have the guitars, drums, and mic, and crack them out every couple of months to play with the kids. I really wish that there would be another, but with Harmonix now making Fortnite content for Epic…I think it’s dead. Perhaps another Guitar Hero once the Microsoft deal closes.

Last edited:
Never played RB but played the shit out of Guitar Hero. Still have the guitar too even though I'll never play it again. It just holds a lot of great memories as someone who plays guitar even thought this is so much harder than the real deal. lol. Would love to see it make a comeback.

skit_data

Frets on fire rocked too, but I would play it on a ghetto keyboard setup lol
I had some proto RGB Saitek keyboard shit shaped like a dogbone that sat perfectly in your hand once you turned it upside down, the only use I've ever had for those F1-F5 buttons ever xD

Last edited:

phant0m

I wasn’t very good at them, but what I miss most of all is playing games in the same room with other humans.

I was fortunate enough to be in college when those games were at their peak. Good times having a few drinks with friends and rocking out.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I was a big fan of Guitar Hero but it definitely got over-saturated in the space of a few years - the later games had much less personality, and that reboot was weird.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band. Played a lot first on the Wii with the stupid controller then on the Xbox with guitars. It was a lot of fun back then. Kind of a bummer that there is nothing like that anymore.

dtremblay

what's the best current way to play? a ps3/360 w a wireless guitar controller?

are there any pc options that work w a plastic guitar controller?

Impotaku

Rhythm games started to take hold in the west then activision & harmonix totally ran them into the fucking ground with a shitload of games in way too short a time totally flooding the market till people were sick of them. At that point you couldn't move for plastic instruments in second hand shops now all of them are sitting in landfills. I enjoyed them at the time but they were way too easy.

Last edited:
I loved that era of music games, helped me discover bands I never heard of before or would never give them a listen if it wasn't for Guitar Hero and Rock Band. There were just way too many sequels and people (including myself) got tired of having a bunch of plastic instruments around the house. I know guitar hero at least tried to make a comeback and I honestly thought guitar hero live was pretty good. I think people just need a longer break from those games. Once they become nostalgic, they're ready to pickup those plastic guitars once again

I enjoyed them at the time but at this point I'd rather be playing for real or at least playing Rocksmith.

Put a lot of time into Guitar Hero 2 and 3. Some into Rock Band 1 with buddies at their houses but never played any of the others after that.

Last edited:

Osthyvel

Yes, i still play RB4 regularly, and i play older gh, rb on my ps3 sometimes. GH Metallica <3

Yes, i would like new games and instruments.

Last edited:
Sooooo many memories. Spent so much time playing Guitar Hero 1-3, with 3 the most. Attended the Best Buy midnight release for Rock Band 1 off of Times Square NYC. Fell off after Rock Band 2. Would love another GH or RB, with better quality accessories. Really the only type of MTX that I’ve ever been okay with!

Bridges

Yes, Rock Band is my favorite game series.

I played a ton of Guitar Hero 3, 4 & 5 but Rock Band eventually earned my loyalty because almost everything would import into the next game. Guitar Hero was extremely hit or miss with which songs would be able to be carried forward.

I keep Rock Band 4 installed and have a library of 1600+ songs still growing, I will buy any of the weekly songs if I like them (which admittedly is less and less often). I have the adaptors that let me plug in my e-kit so I can practice drumming on the real deal in Expert Pro mode. The undisputed king of party games imo.

Rock Band 3 is probably the best the genre ever saw, but 4 has been good enough to keep the flame alive. I really hope they end up making a fifth for the current gen of hardware so we can get some QOL improvements.

I have imported Rock Band 1, 2, 3, Lego, Blitz, Green Day, Track Pack Vol. 2 & the Classic Rock Track Pack into 4, and at this point, I am there day 1 for anything Rock Band related that they release (I also got an Oculus Rift for Rock Band VR which was really cool! It's a shame it can't be played on any of the newer headsets).

The best, most fun times I ever had playing games with friends and family was Rock Band. I don't think anything will come close to it ever again

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My guy, I still enjoy them

Went from Rock Band 4 on the PS4 to the PS5, then finally bit the bullet and got Clone Hero all set up.

Pejo

It was huge in my friends circle. We all had full rock band kits and several guitars so that no matter whose house we were currently visiting, we could play. I got quite good at the drums eventually which was really satisfying. I felt like it was actually easier on harder difficulties because it got closer to playing the actual drum lines in the song.

Hanging out until 3AM drinking and playing Rock Band, great memories.

I bought a XBone entirely for Scalebound (lol @ my life) and to migrate my current music game libraries into the new gen.

Scotty W

My grades in uni were noticeably lower due to my addiction to these games.

I preferred GH, something about the way rhythm worked on RB prevented me from getting as good at it as I was at GH.

YCoCg

Rock Band survived longer for me because it became a great karaoke game with the fuck load amount of DLC I have, it's a shame Rock Band 4 hasn't been updated, even with a Series X/S patch, honestly feels like one of those games that would benefit from a 120Hz mode, not to mention the menu stuff needs sorting since the online features have close except MP and the Store.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Hell yeah!

It was a piece of the time, but was great to unite some friends and play a few songs. I was on drums all the time

I miss this. Unfortunately there's no backwards compatible with this game

Last edited:
Yes, maybe too much? Before COVID happened, instruments used to be pretty cheap at yard sales. Got most this stuff in 2018-2019. A couple of the X-Plorers have issues that I may try to fix. One drum set is for XB360, the other for X1

ne1dv1surtp81.jpg

Last edited:

Elitro

Drums on rockband. Would love to see a new one but unfortunately don't have any room on my apartment to play the drums :(.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Very much so.

Got the original Guitar Hero before the whole thing exploded, followed later with Rockband 2.

Then Activision and EA ruined a good thing by making something special an annual release, in their plastic instrument war.

Roberts

We used to get drunk with friends and play Rockband with all the instruments. They are mostly musicians so initially they were like: "I'm not doing this shit" but after a few songs we were having tons of fun. I had some drumming experience loooong time ago so I mostly sat at the drum set. Anyway, one day we just stopped and I never ever really felt like I need to come back to it. The Beatles Rockband was probably my favourite.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really liked it, especially the drums. but my favorite rhythm game is DJ Hero. The first game's soundtrack is just incredible.

Second game plays better, it's still great, but the soundtrack is more hit tracks at the time which ironically feels more dated today 10 years on.

MiguelItUp

Dug Guitar Hero up to 3, then I was strictly into Rock Band. Working on some of the games made me love them even more so, lol. But there was no bias, I justed liked the Harmonix rhythm games more so.

I loved playing drums, even got the adapter to have two pedals when my interest was peaking. I'd love for it to come back. I saw recently they were still releasing new songs and I had no clue!

Last edited:

Closer

Yes, a lot. Played Rock Band way more than Guitar Hero but love both the same. I'm a sucker for rhythm games and those where really fantastic. Going Drums and Vocals was really fun.

kiphalfton

It was a lot of fun playing with other people, and this is coming from somebody who doesn't play a lot of multiplayer games and who doesn't have any friends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom