• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you enjoy Guitar Hero/Rock Band games?

There was no better game for hanging out with buddies. Everybody chipped in for one instrument each, we had the whole band. Beers, snacks n weed...crazy nights. It would of been a funny meme what girls thouhght guys do on a Friday night versus what we really do lol. Good times.

nush

Franchise that was sadly milked to death in the Activision/EA plastic instruments war. I have Rockband 4 with everything imported into it and it’s still fun to play though but I doubt we’ll see anything like it again.

Hoppa

I really liked it, especially the drums. but my favorite rhythm game is DJ Hero. The first game's soundtrack is just incredible.

Second game plays better, it's still great, but the soundtrack is more hit tracks at the time which ironically feels more dated today 10 years on.

DJ Hero was so goood! I’ve still got the turntables in storage somewhere, just wish I didn’t have to plug in a PS3 to play em

H4ze

I love guitar hero to death. I still own 3 guitars and a mic and have my xbox 360 set up just to play gh from time to time.

It made me appreciate rock and metal music and I became a huge fan thanks to gh.
Playing warriors of rock with my buddys while getting drunk was the most fun I ever had with a party game.

I have no idea how it was even possible to oversaturate the market so hard that both EAs and Activisions IPs are essentially dead, and Beat Saber is kind of its successor. Just Dance exists still, so why not Guitar Hero or Singstar?
Rock is kinda not as big as it once was, maybe, but there must be some demand by young folk to pretend? The fad aligned sheep might not return, but still. I would buy another plastic guitar, while Rocksmith is already too much pro for me.

Shut0wen

Who wouldnt, activision literally cannibalized the market though, though guitar hero 3, dj hero and rock band 1 are 2 were literally amazing

MagnesD3

I was very into Guitar Hero back in the day and became very good at it. That being said theres a ton of them and without proper innovation as a game I dont need it to return. It requires a good setlist, understanding why GH was fun and what you can do to push it forward as a game.

Last edited:

ssringo

I enjoyed the early ones a lot but once Rocksmith came out I became much more interested in playing an actual instrument. Them making a return would not interest me.

nkarafo

You mean the chance of having multi-tracks of remastered classic songs so we can listen to them in ways we never had the chance before?

Who wouldn't?

Vandole

I was introduced to the series with guitar hero 2, and loved it. Guitar hero 3 was even better. That was really all I ever needed out of the series, but when Beatles Rock band came out I jumped on that and it was pretty epic.

However, as a guy in my 40s, there's not much modern music I give a flying rat's ass about. So I'm quite content with just those games and leaving it at that.

Ev1L AuRoN

Yes, and If Microsoft bring it back exclusively on console, I would buy a Series S just to play it on it. I used to have the complete band and I played a lot with friends. If comes to PC tough I just sub to gamepass PC and buy the plastic instruments

xray49er

Love rockband. My family still plays on some family game nights. My drums finally crapped out and i cant see myself paying the ebay prices. Hopefully i will get lucky on a garage sale or something and we can get the band back together.

DryvBy

Rock Band 4 Rivals is perfect for parties and the songs are fine (although they keep adding pop and rap songs instead of rock). It needs crossplay and better character customization is all.

JCK75

I enjoyed the drums in Rockband.. but outside of that as a guitarist I never enjoyed the guitar portion.
Rocksmith was way more my speed.

Hustler

Those games were awesome and encapsulated a time of their own. It was a movement. I had all the games through Guitar Hero 3 and I bought Rock band 2 as a college kid. Even my non gamer friends, girls alike would learn how to play and hang out.

I'd like to teach my kids as they get older, but it'll probably end up being more of a novelty. Not sure how you modernize it beyond what they tried to do already.

Markio128

I had a ton of fun with mates playing these games. Now it seems the rhythm genre exists mostly in VR with Beat Saber and many others.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Been thinking about the 360 version of GH2 recently. A complete package of the flying V and the game in real good shape can run you a hot penny nowadays.

And I really wanna play some Strutter and Toadies.

Top Bottom