• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diddy Kong Racing's IP rights are a mess

daTRUballin

It's just aged very poorly. The series has gotten progressively better with each installment, so going from MK8 back to MK64 just feels like a huge step backwards.

I always figured it was just part of the deal with Microsoft. MS didn't buy Rare because they wanted the people who worked at Rare to make games for them, they bought Rare because they wanted the Rare name and the Rare properties.

Yeah, maybe so. I haven't actually played MK8 or any of the newer ones (I've played Double Dash though), so I guess I wouldn't be able to tell if MK64 aged poorly compared to the other ones. :p

The Giant

Banned
I'm not so sure about Monster Games working on DKR 2. I mean they are a team of about 25 people and just completed work on the Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS port this year. DKR 2 may be too tall an order for them, especially for the NX's launch window (assuming it launches this year).

That's why I think Nintendo should buy Monster Games and expanded them. Monster Games has alot of potential to make really good games.

Type40

Why would anyone play this over Mario Kart?

It was the biggest release that winter since the game that was supposed to come out got delayed. Graphically it was excellent, but it was lacking in the gameplay dept. It was super unbalanced due to having 3 different vehicle types, same problem SR:T had.

Unlocked everything and never had a reason to play it again. That's the problem with a racing game having a storymode, not much to do once it's finished.

Orca

Swing a deal with Nintendo to allow them to make the game, while Nintendo opens the doors to Goldeneye.

RedToad64

And we see more proof in the artwork and screenshots of an old cancelled 360 XBLA game by Rare called The Fast and the Furriest:

EkJ8s5D.jpg
vUsX6oq.jpg

What's your take?
That concept art is more of an internal proof-of-concept. It was never intended to leave the board meeting it was made for, and we would have probably never seen T.T. in the actual game, had it released. Heck, we got another character that goes by T.T. in Nuts & Bolts.

Diddy Kong Racing can never be re-released. Period. If they decide to make a DKR2, then I would expect to just see generic Donkey Kong characters making up its cast, kind of like another racing game I know.

DKR still is the best kart racer ever. Not even MK8 manages to one-up DKR in everything that masterpiece did back in 1997 three gens ago.

Slavik81

The Donkey Kong cast has quite a different feel from the Diddy Kong Racing cast. Despite the game being named after a Kong, it shares basically nothing stylistically with the DK games.

iMerc

no the rights to diddy kong racing are fairly straight forward. nintendo owns it, the ost, & the scenario, except the characters/assets created by Rare who have not appeared, nor do they have any attachment to any pre-existing nintendo property.

in terms of characters, diddy kong & krunch are 100% safe. everybody else belongs to rare as far as i remember. they were happy to use them again in DKR-DS because it wasn't a big deal & noone really knows who T.T, Drumstick, or timber are, essentially.
Banjo & Conker, however were absent, because these characters already have presence on xbox hardware.

i swear, every couple of years this question pops up.

as to why rare walked away with so many I.P's after the sale; that too was quite simple.
Nintendo could've made it very difficult for them, but chose rather to allow Rare to retain the right to everything they've done (except material relating to already existing nintendo properties) because they were still on great terms with each other.
that's really it.

see you guys in another few years when we do this exact same song & dance again. :p

woopWOOP

Maybe MK64 isn't as great as DKR was, but I still don't really understand all the retrospective hate MK64 gets. The game is a very fun multiplayer game at least.
Me neither. I mean, when people lay out all of DKR's features like that I can see why it's considered to be a much better product than MK64.
To me tho, MK64 has a better variation of tracks, more fun battle mode and better driving (look, the rubberbanding in MK64 sucks, but coming to a complete stop in DKR when you scrape a pillar or wall was so goddamn awful). I also didn't really care about the all singleplayer stuff. Collecting coins and racing against oversized cheaters, bleh, lame.

Granted I had more fun with it when I booted it up again a few years ago. A new DKR with a bigger variation of singleplayer challenges is something I'd get.

Peltz

DKR still is the best kart racer ever. Not even MK8 manages to one-up DKR in everything that masterpiece did back in 1997 three gens ago.
I dig DKR, but can't really get behind this. MK8 just feels so good to control in a way that DKR never did.

fvng

My wife has a strange affinity for this game (100% nostalgia). I don't really get it, although I'm not crazy about Mario Kart either.

For me I feel like Rare's own characters feel very stock/generic and lack the charm of Nintendo's own stable of characters. They look like characters designed for a kid's placemat at ihop

bwahhhhh

DKR had an amazing single player mode, better than any kart game that followed, even if I preferred the racing (Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Mario Kart 8, Crash Team Racing) of other games to it. And for that, it's probably my favorite kart game next to SaSART.

Also, no Timber, no sale for a sequel. Timber is gaming, Timber is all

daTRUballin

For me I feel like Rare's own characters feel very stock/generic and lack the charm of Nintendo's own stable of characters. They look like characters designed for a kid's placemat at ihop

I don't think DKR's characters were ever meant to be top of the line/iconic/whatever. The majority of these characters didn't appear in any other games, and were obviously just used as "generic" racers. I guess the only ones you could say were iconic in some ways would be Diddy, Banjo, and Conker (since those characters actually had an identity in other games besides DKR).

Character design doesn't make a racing game. If a racing game is good, then it's good.

Edit: Mario Kart's characters are also pretty generic when you think about it. More iconic? Sure. But less generic? That's debatable.

BD1

Banned
If this game is real, I hope they incorporate some light platforming into the design. I've always wanted a true platforming/kart racer, with the added element of timing jumps.

I'd also like to see boss fights and races, and for them to build on the weapon system of the original.

DKR would be an Amiibo machine, so I fully expect it to happen.

If this game is real, I hope they incorporate some light platforming into the design. I've always wanted a true platforming/kart racer, with the added element of timing jumps.

I'd also like to see boss fights and races, and for them to build on the weapon system of the original.

DKR would be an Amiibo machine, so I fully expect it to happen.

Play Crash Tag Team Racing. It's hub world is a platformer. :)

RK128

Play Crash Tag Team Racing. It's hub world is a platformer. :)

The game is....odd :l. You would expect it to be more in-line with Twinsanity humor wise....but it kinda misses the point a few points (it tries hard, I will give it that). The platforming itself looks to be decent, nothing groundbreaking but solid enough to offer dumb fun :).

The racing element itself is oddly the weakest part of the game. The drifting isn't as good as say CTR or CNK and the clashing mechanic doesn't do a lot for the track design.

The mini games and soundtrack are good though, so that is nice :).

Overall, the game is a mixed bag and tries to be a jack of all trades but isn't very strong in one core element (where CTR and CNR are strong racers due to, well focusing on racing like the title states).

Considering Radical ever made a Crash game before, it was a decent first jab at making one.

The game is....odd :l. You would expect it to be more in-line with Twinsanity humor wise....but it kinda misses the point a few points (it tries hard, I will give it that). The platforming itself looks to be decent, nothing groundbreaking but solid enough to offer dumb fun :).

The racing element itself is oddly the weakest part of the game. The drifting isn't as good as say CTR or CNK and the clashing mechanic doesn't do a lot for the track design.

The mini games and soundtrack are good though, so that is nice :).

Overall, the game is a mixed bag and tries to be a jack of all trades but isn't very strong in one core element (where CTR and CNR are strong racers due to, well focusing on racing like the title states).

Considering Radical ever made a Crash game before, it was a decent first jab at making one.

CTTR is so good IMO. It's hilarious and they nailed the soundtrack. Shame Titans and MoM weren't near as good. :(

Oh it's flawed, but I personally loved the game.

RK128

CTTR is so good IMO. It's hilarious and they nailed the soundtrack. Shame Titans and MoM weren't near as good. :(

Oh it's flawed, but I personally loved the game.

Its always nice to have Spiral Mouth make a Crash soundtrack :'). They have that iconic sound for the Crash series that would be amazing to see come back in future games :D.

Like how the credits theme is a remix of N. Sanity Island from Twinsanity :D. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vds5ZxKb478&list=PLaE2PvbKMKnr-X7OgBvdfjc1XcesZdVuy&index=74

Titans and MoM reportedly are decent games, but they were so removed from the Crash series gameplay/tonally, that many wrote them off as shitty games. They have great production values, decent soundtracks, interesting gameplay mechanics and they do respect the ND lore at points (evolvo-ray comes back and is referenced for example).

RM8

I have my fair share of controversial opinions but wat. How is this a possible opinion to have?
Super Circuit is fast, challenging, and has awesome tracks. I love MK7 as well but it feels very tame, and MK8 perfected what it tried to do.

Top Bottom