• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digibro: 'Metroidvania' Needs to Die

pramod

Banned
I agree I always hated this term. It basically means action platform games that allow backtracking....which have existed since the earliest of gaming like Pitfall and Goonies NES. Metroid was just a refinement of it.

bufkus

This is a non issue and the term is actually somewhat appropriate and it's easy to understand what it's trying to convey.

Not really. It's wrong because Metroid and Castlevania have nothing in common besides both being 2d platformers primarily (let's ignore the 3d versions for now). Metroid has gated exploration that feels like solving puzzles--similar to Zelda. Castlevania except for SOTN is straight up go from point A to B like Shantae and every other 2d platformer. Castlevania should have never been compared to Metroid in the first place and ToastyFrog should be ashamed of himself for starting this bizarre and wrong trend.

AetoSuchian

Neo Member
I agree I always hated this term. It basically means action platform games that allow backtracking....which have existed since the earliest of gaming like Pitfall and Goonies NES. Metroid was just a refinement of it.

I can understand people disliking the term in general; using franchise names isn't the most intuitive unless you've played games from both series. A lot of times though it's an excuse to rail against Castlevania in favor of Metroid.

Top Bottom