• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Assassin's Creed 3 Switch: Last-Gen Port or Full Remaster? - PS4/Wii U Graphics Comparison

Bullet Club

Banned

Delayed as it is we're glad to have Assassin's Creed 3 on Switch in hand - as perhaps the most ambitious handheld port for the series to date. It's a distinct upgrade over Wii U in resolution at least - rising from a native 720p to 1080p, while Switch is docked. And yet many other issues surround this release that make it hard to fully recommend. Tom explains why.

MagnesG

Banned
I can't take the Switch seriously outside of 'cartoon' games, bad port or not it's par for the course for a souped up 7th generation console.
What do you expect when it is a hybrid from the start. The better you realize that the better your expectations can be realistically.

Still, such a missed opportunity. Switch market is so starved they will gobble up anything good at this point.

What do you expect when it is a hybrid from the start. The better you realize that the better your expectations can be realistically.

Still, such a missed opportunity. Switch market is so starved they will gobble up anything good at this point.
It's a video game console, it's half baked trying to tread the line between a competent portable and a competent home console but fails at both because it's too weak to handle the software being thrown at it.

MagnesG

Banned
It's a video game console, it's half baked trying to tread the line between a competent portable and a competent home console but fails at both because it's too weak to handle the software being thrown at it.
Which one do you want to argue with? Weak hardware to handle big boy console's software or oh-too-big for my hands got cramps / oh-can't fit in my pockets?

Either way this half baked puny hardware still works then, considering solid hardware and software sales it got.

Which one do you want to argue with? Weak hardware to handle big boy console's software or oh-too-big for my hands got cramps / oh-can't fit in my pockets?

Either way this half baked puny hardware still works then, considering solid hardware and software sales it got.
It's delivering a last generation experience on the go and a last generation experience at home, they missed their mark.

Sales don't make something competent and have nothing to do with technical ability.

Dada55000

And then the port of the vita game running at 900p, while the port of consoles is at 1080. What? Who ported this thing?
He keeps talking about the Vita, but this isn't a port of the Vita version, it's a port of the HD version on 360/PS3/PC. HD was ported to the AC4 engine with improved assets and visuals, and while not as demanding (or anywhere near as good looking) as 3 or 4 due to the limited size of the game, it still bottlenecks the same way. Beyond that, it was clearly secondary in priority.

MagnesG

Banned
It's delivering a last generation experience on the go and a last generation experience at home, they missed their mark.

Sales don't make something competent and have nothing to do with technical ability.
Please don't thread on the extremes, if competent and technical ability is your case, PS4 and Xbone are all shit hardware then compared to PC. Yet people bought it even though certain games dips hard on fps and pixels. Point is also moot when the business model is clearly different, and only arrogant and entitled people so desperately want justify this belief. Go back to PC if you so want to parade this around.

Also, there's a time and place for everything, and portable lovers especially would never define the Switch a last generation experience. New exclusives are there, notable ports, we even had the first day and date 3rd party release on last NPD, with MK11 leading on all 3 platforms. No harm to accept the Switch as its own thing whatsoever but if you're still adamant on that part, suit yourself and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Please don't thread on the extremes, if competent and technical ability is your case, PS4 and Xbone are all shit hardware then compared to PC. Yet people bought it even though certain games dips hard on fps and pixels. Point is also moot when the business model is clearly different, and only arrogant and entitled people so desperately want justify this belief. Go back to PC if you so want to parade this around.

Also, there's a time and place for everything, and portable lovers especially would never define the Switch a last generation experience. New exclusives are there, notable ports, we even had the first day and date 3rd party release on last NPD, with MK11 leading on all 3 platforms. No harm to accept the Switch as its own thing whatsoever but if you're still adamant on that part, suit yourself and have a nice day.
This is coming from someone who owns everything, I don't make excuses for computational garbage trying to fight far outside of its weight class. The biggest shame surrounding the Switch is peoples incessant need to supply context to it for excuse purposes.

Did Xbox One get that luxury? Nope, neither did the PS3. If you release a 7th generation console 4 years into the 8th generation you should expect backlash, a lot of it and its rightful and rooted in reality.

MagnesG

Banned
This is coming from someone who owns everything, I don't make excuses for computational garbage trying to fight far outside of its weight class. The biggest shame surrounding the Switch is peoples incessant need to supply context to it for excuse purposes.

Did Xbox One get that luxury? Nope, neither did the PS3. If you release a 7th generation console 4 years into the 8th generation you should expect backlash, a lot of it and its rightful and rooted in reality.
Oh you mean the backlash from you people?

Context is context and excuse is an excuse, still. Also, I'm assuming you owning everything means owning the whole portable generation line from GB family till now? What does that mean to you when this normal generational gap between portable and console line intersect into one aka Switch? Go figure from that what kind of technical advancement this means to some people. This had never happened as mainstream as this.

It's not like I don't understand your point though, so maybe a yeah from me at least?

I can't take the Switch seriously outside of 'cartoon' games, bad port or not it's par for the course for a souped up 7th generation console.

I hope you game on PC @ 60fps+.

It's a successor to the 3DS, a handheld, a literal tablet, with added docking capabilities. It's a current generation handheld device.

Last edited:
I hope you game on PC @ 60fps+.

It's a successor to the 3DS, a handheld, a literal tablet, with added docking capabilities. It's a current generation handheld device.
I do.

47265212542_3d1e8bbc1b_o.png

It's not a 3DS successor, it's a Wii U successor, it's a home console with the ability to take it on the go.

d4apYRO.png

-Nintendo

As a PC gamer I should hope you could look past the marketing spiel. It's clearly a handheld first. The entire machine is designed around being portable. The WiiU was an in-home gaming system. The Switch went far beyond that to full portability and can now be carried side by side with the 3DS. It even sacrificed the most touted feature of the WiiU....the dual screen play. Successor only in marketing terms. In practical terms it's a giant upgrade on the GBA. Nintendo wishes to keep it distinct so it can continue selling 3DS's.

Last edited:

scydrex

I do.

47265212542_3d1e8bbc1b_o.png

It's not a 3DS successor, it's a Wii U successor, it's a home console with the ability to take it on the go.

d4apYRO.png

-Nintendo

Exactly the Switch is not the 3DS succesor... is the Wii U successor. I think Nintendo will never release another high end spec console like the Gamecube for example... so they need to find a way to justify or have features that substitute powerful specs....

Komatsu

For those here saying the Switch delivers a “last-gen experience” on “portable”... Err... what lastgen portable allowed you to play Doom and Wolfenstein on-the-go? I must have missed something

Romulus

For those here saying the Switch delivers a “last-gen experience” on “portable”... Err... what lastgen portable allowed you to play Doom and Wolfenstein on-the-go? I must have missed something

Do those games run at an acceptable framerate despite the other massive downgrades?

Elcid

Banned
I'm sadly in the same boat. I just can't take it seriously as a console. I use my PS4 and PC for all my games, and only CERTAIN cartoony titles or exclusives on the Switch.

prag16

Banned
Over two years on an we're still doing this embarrassing bullshit?

It's both. And for what it is, it's nice hardware. To dispute this, you must have an axe to grind.

And this is coming from someone who does not own a Switch, and is pretty disappointed with the software output (it's a pretty barren wasteland for people who owned all the main first party Wii U titles).

I'm sadly in the same boat. I just can't take it seriously as a console. I use my PS4 and PC for all my games, and only CERTAIN cartoony titles or exclusives on the Switch.

This type of nonsense too... it's a portable... what were you expecting? It has a lot of great games (for someone who didn't already play the shit out of them on Wii U), and was never really meant to 'replace' a PS4 or xbone (and especially not a gaming PC). "Can't take it seriously.." what does that even mean...

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Over two years on an we're still doing this embarrassing bullshit?

It's both. And for what it is, it's nice hardware. To dispute this, you must have an axe to grind.

And this is coming from someone who does not own a Switch, and is pretty disappointed with the software output (it's a pretty barren wasteland for people who owned all the main first party Wii U titles).

This type of nonsense too... it's a portable... what were you expecting? It has a lot of great games (for someone who didn't already play the shit out of them on Wii U), and was never really meant to 'replace' a PS4 or xbone (and especially not a gaming PC). "Can't take it seriously.." what does that even mean...

This. I love my Switch because of the experiences and games that are available on it, some of my favorite games this gen has been on the console This new AC is cool and I may consider picking it up since I never played it.

However, I understand the frustration and I mostly play docked. I only wish it was capable of 1080p and could handle a modern game with a stable frame rate. BotW was hampered by its technical issues and it appears this game is no different.

Top Bottom