• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Bayonetta on Switch vs. previous console editions.

Leonidas

-720p in both docked and handheld
-original assets(same as all versions) from Xbox 360
-slightly lower quality shadows on Switch compared to Xbox 360 original hardware
-texture filtering much lower in undocked mode
-shadow resolution reduced in undocked mode
-nearly locked 60fps, only some minor dips to the mid 50s in typical gameplay, close to Xbox One X(via 360 software BC) performance in most cases
-drops frames more in GPU stress moments compared to Xbox One X(via 360 software BC)
-loading screens 10 seconds faster on Switch(compared to Wii U)

Console editions ranked from best to worst performance

Xbox One X(via Xbox 360 BC) > Switch > Xbox 360 > Wii U

PS3 version wasn't in the comparison for some reason...

Last edited:

Blam

-720p in both docked and handheld
-slightly lower quality shadows on Switch compared to 360
-texture filtering lower in undocked mode
-shadow resolution is slightly lower undocked
-nearly locked 60fps, only some minor dips to the mid 50s in typical gameplay, close to Xbox One X performance in most cases
-drops frames more in GPU stress moments compared to Xbox One X
-loading screens 10 seconds faster on Switch

Console editions ranked from best to worst performance

Xbox One X(via Xbox 360 BC) > Switch > Xbox 360 > Wii U

PS3 version wasn't in the comparison for some reason...

Because PS3 version is beyond trash at how bad it was.

Leocarian

Banned
Pretty disappointed in this port. The game is like 10 years old and it runs 720p on a console in 2018 and mind you Bayonetta 3 is exclusive.. Doesn't bode well for Switch sorry.

And I love the switch personally, had it since day 1. But this port is sad.

Last edited:

Leonidas

I think it's odd that it's running at 720p docked, it doesn't seem to lose much going from docked to handheld, if this was running at 900p it could have been the definitive console version since all the other console versions run at 720p.

Leonidas

No mention of undocked framerate? Or I missed it?

Nothing specific. He did say that to deliver smooth performance in undocked mode some compromises were made(lower quality texture filtering and shadows).

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Pretty disappointed in this port. The game is like 10 years old and it runs 720p on a console in 2018 and mind you Bayonetta 3 is exclusive.. Doesn't bode well for Switch sorry.

And I love the switch personally, had it since day 1. But this port is sad.
I dont think that this can be concluded. From what it looks like this is just a simple port. B3 is developed for Switch from ground up

Z3M0G

I wish I could buy B2 for switch only physically without needing to spend full $80cdn for the bundle with the first game... It would be cool to have both, but I don't honestly think I would bother replaying the first one.

Last edited:

JP

I do have both games pre-ordered and downloaded but I have to admit that I was hoping for more than this. I'm still looking forward to them even though they really should have been better than this.

Fbh

And they expect the switch to last like 7 years? I don't know...
Why not?.

The power of the hardware only becomes an issue if you expect it to get tons of current and next gen AAA ports

Indies run well on it and Nintendo has shown again and again that they can make games that are as good or even better than those on more powerful systems.

And as a handheld hybrid I think it's still really impressive. It's running last gen games better than last gen hardware and we are talking about hardware that can handle stuff like Mass Effect , GTA5 , RDR or The Last of us.
I think that type of hardware in the hands of Nitnendo and with good support from Indies and third parties (just because they can't port their Ps5 games doesn't mean they won't support the console of it keeps selling well) can easily give us a great 6-7 years lifecycle.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love Bayonetta, I'm really glad I get play this on my Switch. Now if we just get Tokyo Mirage Session #FE on Switch.

Can't help but chuckle at how much DF softballs Nintendo videos.
"720p is disappointing, but there are benefits to it!" ...but never elaborates on 'benefits' of 720p docked in 2018. (Hint: it's got to do with performance at 1080)
"The overall texture quality seems about the same, really"
Really?
LYJsrZ6.jpg

gt86

Why not?.

The power of the hardware only becomes an issue if you expect it to get tons of current and next gen AAA ports

Indies run well on it and Nintendo has shown again and again that they can make games that are as good or even better than those on more powerful systems.

And as a handheld hybrid I think it's still really impressive. It's running last gen games better than last gen hardware and we are talking about hardware that can handle stuff like Mass Effect , GTA5 , RDR or The Last of us.
I think that type of hardware in the hands of Nitnendo and with good support from Indies and third parties (just because they can't port their Ps5 games doesn't mean they won't support the console of it keeps selling well) can easily give us a great 6-7 years lifecycle.

Is it really impressive that it runs games from systems that came out 12 years ago? I have the switch and I love it, but man I don't see how this is going to last 7 years.

Danjin44

Is it really impressive that it runs games from systems that came out 12 years ago? I have the switch and I love it, but man I don't see how this is going to last 7 years.
Maybe the fact Nintendo was never interested creating most powerful console. the original Wii was already outdated when it first came out but still mange to sell well. Both DS and 3DS destroyed both PSP and PSVita sell wise even though they much more powerful system. Heck, PS2 out last both original Xbox and Gamcube even though PS2 was much weaker console.

As long as Nintendo able bring games on Switch then it can last 7 years.

Danjin44

I will need some examples of that.
For one BotW open world is much technically more impressive than game like Horizon. Sure Horizon might have better texture and lighting but its actual interactivity so limiting compare to BotW. There just much more going on in BotW open world, like how weather condition effects on the environment around you and day/night cycle effects behaviour of both NPC and enemies.
GG working with much more powerful console but chose to make typical open world meanwhile Nintendo chose much more interesting open world with weaker console. Having strong system helps but to me it up to developers to take advantage of those powers.

royox

For one BotW open world is much technically more impressive than game like Horizon. Sure Horizon might have better texture and lighting but its actual interactivity so limiting compare to BotW. There just much more going on in BotW open world, like how weather condition effects on the environment around you and day/night cycle effects behaviour of both NPC and enemies.

Indeed. But for BotW to acomplisht that they had to make the world being a big as hell empty space with the same 3 enemies recolored and no depth on the combat system. My GOAT is BotW but I see its flaws. Also I thought we were talking raw power, or put with other words, "textures and graphics" as that's what DigitalFoundry is all about.

Danjin44

Indeed. But for BotW to acomplisht that they had to make the world being a big as hell empty space with the same 3 enemies recolored and no depth on the combat system. My GOAT is BotW but I see its flaws. Also I thought we were talking raw power, or put with other words, "textures and graphics" as that's what DigitalFoundry is all about.
To me raw power doesn't alway mean textures and graphics. for example Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 was technically really impressive but not because it texture work but rather because of the character animation and those colossus's scale. I would say same with Last Guardian. Its actual "graphics" wast really impressive but Trico's animation and AI that really made Last Guardian technically impressive game.

bufkus

the Switch is a handheld. What competition besides phones does it have? It'll easily last 7 years, and not only that, receive several hardware upgrade iterations in that timespan.

Donnie

So the moment a bad port comes out every other game stops existing and that bad port defines a systems performance? That's absolutely moronic.

BTW, will be pretty funny when Bayonetta 3 comes out looking better than any previous version and at a higher resolution, "Switch just got more powerful!!!"..

Last edited:

akuda

GG working with much more powerful console but chose to make typical open world meanwhile Nintendo chose much more interesting open world with weaker console. Having strong system helps but to me it up to developers to take advantage of those powers.
I feel like you don't understand what "technically impressive" means. It refers to the translation of very demanding graphics into good performance. NPCs reacting to rain isn't technically impressive because it's not actually much of a strain on the hardware.
The most technically impressive scene I could imagine in BoTW would be standing on top of a mountain, in the rain, holding a torch, with a miniboss nearby. But the LOD is so low it's nothing especially marvelous, it's more of an impressive statement of how well they managed to disguise the LOD.
Calculating how Aloy's hair will move when it's wet and then casting the shadows of a campfire over it while also calculating the little embers around her, and the rest of the environment with a high LOD all at 4K >30fps, is technically impressive.

Virex

Banned

As a Switch owner this is ridiculous from Nintendo. I have my PS4 and PC as main platforms. Problem is that everywhere there is a Switch forum like on Reddit. They want every single PS4/PC game on Switch and they are quite vocal about it. My worry is that with the Switch's success it might hold PS4/PC games back in the future due to devs trying to cram a game that does not play to a console's strengths onto that system. I love my Switch and I think it's a great system but it's hopelessly underpowered even compared to the Wii U. It's not much more powerful

Donnie

As a Switch owner this is ridiculous from Nintendo. I have my PS4 and PC as main platforms. Problem is that everywhere there is a Switch forum like on Reddit. They want every single PS4/PC game on Switch and they are quite vocal about it. My worry is that with the Switch's success it might hold PS4/PC games back in the future due to devs trying to cram a game that does not play to a console's strengths onto that system. I love my Switch and I think it's a great system but it's hopelessly underpowered even compared to the Wii U. It's not much more powerful

Why do you own a Switch then?, considering you knew its performance well before its release. Don't see why any game should be limited either, Switch has shown that because of its architecture, at worst, a game just needs to be scaled down in resolution and a few effects to work on the system.

Again there are plenty of games that show the potential of the system, but apparently if a game comes out that doesn't run amazing that is held as the guideline for its performance..

Last edited:
I wish I could buy B2 for switch only physically without needing to spend full $80cdn for the bundle with the first game... It would be cool to have both, but I don't honestly think I would bother replaying the first one.
Why don't you sell the download code?

Trogdor1123

So the moment a bad port comes out every other game stops existing and that bad port defines a systems performance? That's absolutely moronic.

BTW, will be pretty funny when Bayonetta 3 comes out looking better than any previous version and at a higher resolution, "Switch just got more powerful!!!"..
You are totally welcome to your opinion but the fact that the games from 10 years ago are not doing well isn't a ringing endorsement. What are they going to look like in 5 years?

Danjin44

I feel like you don't understand what "technically impressive" means. It refers to the translation of very demanding graphics into good performance. NPCs reacting to rain isn't technically impressive because it's not actually much of a strain on the hardware.
The most technically impressive scene I could imagine in BoTW would be standing on top of a mountain, in the rain, holding a torch, with a miniboss nearby. But the LOD is so low it's nothing especially marvelous, it's more of an impressive statement of how well they managed to disguise the LOD.
Calculating how Aloy's hair will move when it's wet and then casting the shadows of a campfire over it while also calculating the little embers around her, and the rest of the environment with a high LOD all at 4K >30fps, is technically impressive.
To me the interactivity in BotW's open world is technically much more impressive than Aloy having better hair physic or have better texture and lighting . Nintendo able archive this in weak system. GG in other hand had much stronger system to work with and with great engine but they chose to go with open world that has little interaction. This also how I compare Dead Rising 4 and Dead Rising 1. on the surface D4 has better texture and better lighting but amount interaction D1 has in its environment is much more impressive.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I love the Switch but man, they really missed the mark with not going with the Tegra X2. Pretty sure we'll end up getting that processor when they decide to iterate on
the system-probably at least a couple years away for this sadly :( and by using a Tegra X2, they'd have backward capability with original Switch games, correct?

Surprised about some of the performance issues with the game on the Switch.

scydrex

To me the interactivity in BotW's open world is technically much more impressive than Aloy having better hair physic or have better texture and lighting . Nintendo able archive this in weak system. GG in other hand had much stronger system to work with and with great engine but they chose to go with open world that has little interaction. This also how I compare Dead Rising 4 and Dead Rising 1. on the surface D4 has better texture and better lighting but amount interaction D1 has in its environment is much more impressive.

I played the game on Wii U and it's a excellent game, one of the best games i played last year but not impressive at all. Of course they could archive that with this weak system not 1080p 30fps and that style of graphics is not demanding at all. Both game had different approaches that's all. I mean that BotW is a Wii U game originally is like PS4 and PS4 Pro the Switch runs it better. Sure the game is one of the most interactive open worlds right now but empty, no bosses, mini dungeons, etc. I would have prefer a smaller world with more content.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

1.because there are no hybrids like it
2. There is no portables like it

Smartphones and tablets maybe getting more powerful but there games are nothing like the switches, and I doubt this is going to change.

Switch may not be as powerful as ps4,x1, pc etc, but when playing games like zelda and mario I dont feel like im playing on an inferior machine.

Maybe Im just getting old , but if horizon zero 2 launched on PS5 in 2020 with revolutionary visuals rivaling movies like avatar and jolly lil Nintendo released mario Odyssey 2 which was has great as the first, I would not think Odyssey 2 is any less next gen then Horizon 2.
I do like nice graphics, who doesn't! But now at this point I dont think games would be that much better if they looked like Hollywood CGI.
I think graphics are getting less and less important.

Last edited:

Shini42

This looks sad in 2018. Don't know if it's a lazy port or hardware limitation of a 3y.o. mobile SoC. Probably a little bit of both. I think nintendo should stick with small indie games and cartoony stuff. Anything more than that shows switch in a bad light.

gt86

1.because there are no hybrids like it
2. There is no portables like it

Smartphones and tablets maybe getting more powerful but there games are nothing like the switches, and I doubt this is going to change.

Switch may not be as powerful as ps4,x1, pc etc, but when playing games like zelda and mario I dont feel like im playing on an inferior machine.

Maybe Im just getting old , but if horizon zero 2 launched on PS5 in 2020 with revolutionary visuals rivaling movies like avatar and jolly lil Nintendo released mario Odyssey 2 which was has great as the first, I would not think Odyssey 2 is any less next gen then Horizon 2.
I do like nice graphics, who doesn't! But now at this point I dont think games would be that much better if they looked like Hollywood CGI.
I think graphics are getting less and less important.

I agree with you, but I'm just making the point that the switch is already old tegra tech, running underclocked, and it is supposed to last 7 years? Even at some point the Indies will need more resources.

royox

Don't see why any game should be limited either, Switch has shown that because of its architecture, at worst, a game just needs to be scaled down in resolution and a few effects to work on the system.

So you think games like Battlefront 2 could work on Switch just with a downscale in resolution and "a few effects"?

Shini42

Why do you own a Switch then?, considering you knew its performance well before its release.
Did anyone knew switches performance before its release? If I rememder correctly, most people were in denial, that this new console would use an outdated Tegra X1. It has been heavily rumored, that X1 were just a placeholder in devkits for some modern SoC.

Last edited:

Fbh

I will need some examples of that.

We can talk about personal opinions all we want but just last year both Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild got a great reception from both users and critics.

You might not like them and that's fine but it doesn't change the fact that they were some of the best reviewed games of the year , BoTW in particular got several goty awards and both games placed high on user generated "top" lists including the one on GAF

Moreover games like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, the new DK country games, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2 (not made by them but finances and published by them), Smash WiiU, etc could easily compete and even surpass games of their own genre made for more powerful hardware.

For a handheld console. Yes, I think it's impressive that it could, theoretically, run games like RDR or Mass Effect 2 better than a 360.

Nintendo supported the 3DS for 7 years + and the hardware on it was more dated when it released than the Switch is now.
And the support for Switch should be even better since they can now focus their entire development force on one console and the hardware is strong enough to run the vast majority of high profile indie games

thelawof4

The quality of most games that get released/remastered/remade on the Switch is pretty good and sales seem to reflect that.

Graphical fidelity at this point is just barely enough and sometimes even pretty nice. It is obvious Nintendo is focussing on fun and engaging games instead of pushing resolution/framerate to XBOX or PlayStation levels.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
The quality of most games that get released/remastered/remade on the Switch is pretty good and sales seem to reflect that.

Graphical fidelity at this point is just barely enough and sometimes even pretty nice. It is obvious Nintendo is focussing on fun and engaging games instead of pushing resolution/framerate to XBOX or PlayStation levels.

Yea how much did Doom actually sell? What other remasters are we talking about, more indie rereleases? LA Noire?

I think it was an old Iwata quote that said "graphical fidelity had reached a saturation point" and that of course is just some nonsense pr spin. There will always be a demand for cutting edge visuals.

And let's be real here, Nintendo isn't pushing engaging and fun gameplay experiences at some pedigree above and beyond other game developers. That's just more fanboy bs. I remember saying nonsense like that myself when I was some blind, biased, and close minded Nintendo fanboy before the advent of trash motion control gimmicks.

The switch is just their next handheld with TV out. The only difference is that they've completely bowed out of making competitive home consoles (well that happened like a decade ago actually) and consolidated all their game development efforts to one platform. That one platform focus should improve the software situation... I say should but I haven't really noticed any real benefits from that yet.

Zelda earned some goodwill from me again. Mario lost it. Now they just need to deliver with Metroid (even tho chances of Namco dropping the ball is high as fuck). Finally give me a proper Fzero, waverace and a "good" star Fox and maybe Nintendo won't suck anymore.

Last edited:

thelawof4

I feel like i need to mention that i don't own a Switch, XBOX or PlayStation. My last console purchase was a PS3/Vita.

What i am trying to say here is that it's okay with me that Nintendo puts everything into games instead of hardware. There are enough people using the console and enjoying the experience while Nintendo is making money.

I am aware that photorealism/real-time global illumination is still not achievable and that graphics definitly can be improved so that the even casual users will percieve it. If players want better performance or better graphics today they have the freedom to buy other consoles. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

scydrex

I feel like i need to mention that i don't own a Switch, XBOX or PlayStation. My last console purchase was a PS3/Vita.

What i am trying to say here is that it's okay with me that Nintendo puts everything into games instead of hardware. There are enough people using the console and enjoying the experience while Nintendo is making money.

I am aware that photorealism/real-time global illumination is still not achievable and that graphics definitly can be improved so that the even casual users will percieve it. If players want better performance or better graphics today they have the freedom to buy other consoles. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

Ok but how is Nintendo puts everything into games??? I mean what are the new IP from them? Horizon is a new IP. I was thinking it was going to be like Killzone Shadow fall a mediocre game and i was surprised by it. The last of us is a new IP now the part 2 is coming sometime but to me putting everything into games is to bring new IP too not just the usual games from always.

royox

We can talk about personal opinions all we want but just last year both Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild got a great reception from both users and critics.

You might not like them and that's fine but it doesn't change the fact that they were some of the best reviewed games of the year , BoTW in particular got several goty awards and both games placed high on user generated "top" lists including the one on GAF

Zelda BOTW is my personal GOAT and Mario is in my top3 list of 2017 games but again, we are not talking about "how good a game is" but "how good it looks".

Top Bottom