• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 Reunion -PS5/Xbox Series X/S and Switch Tested!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Originally released for PSP - and PSP only - Crisis Core has been upgraded signficantly for its remaster and in this video content, Oliver Mackenzie assesses the remaster compared to the original game, checks out all the current-gen versions and even sees how locations from the new release compare to Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Visuals fully reworked using UE4 but running on same PSP frame-work
- Story FMV's have been cleaned up w/ AI-upscaling, summon CGs have been fully recreated
- Some comparisons with FFVII remake made in the video, some assets have been lifted straight up from FFVII but it's still nowhere near the level of the remake itself.

- PS5|SX run dynamic 1800p~2160p
- Series S is static 1080p
- All 3 target and run perfect at 60 FPS. Pre-rendered content is 30 FPS
- Visual features are identical across them all

- On Switch most of the rendering features are present
- Minor cut-backs made in some terrain and foliage density.
- SSR and DoF are present but less refined. Shadows are also missing in outdoor areas.
- Docked: 720p to 576p with Unreal TAAU used to scale.
- Portable: 720p to 432p with Unreal TAAU to resolve to a higher resolution.
- Switch targets 30 FPS but has severe frame pacing issues. Less of an issue in poratble compared to docked.
- Switch can also drop frames to mid 20s in some locations.

Last edited:

intbal

The DRS system in this game seems hyper aggressive on the 9th gen machines.

coO1ZkK.jpg

Astral Dog

The visuals in this game have been surprising me, like my God how did they make this work on a Switch, the art, lightning and characters models are on point while the IQ is fine for the system

obviously its still a PSP game with 2007 logic and that helped a ton, but its mighty impressive for Switch, Square did a great job upgrading this game to look in line with the Remake series

Power Pro

The visuals in this game have been surprising me, like my God how did they make this work on a Switch, the art, lightning and characters models are on point while the IQ is fine for the system

obviously its still a PSP game with 2007 logic and that helped a ton, but its mighty impressive for Switch, Square did a great job upgrading this game to look in line with the Remake series
I've been playing the Switch version, and I'm constantly thinking the same thing. The design of the game is where you can feel the PSP-ness of it the most, but the environments and overall look of the game feels like something that shouldn't be possible on the Switch when people talk about how it's inferior hardware so much. Final Fantasy 7 Remake always seemed like a game that "oh, you need hardware this powerful to handle those visuals, so I understand why it's not on Switch"....but after seeing Crisis Core run on and look as good as it does on Switch, I feel like FF7 Remake could be ported to it if they had the time and resources for it.

Astral Dog

I've been playing the Switch version, and I'm constantly thinking the same thing. The design of the game is where you can feel the PSP-ness of it the most, but the environments and overall look of the game feels like something that shouldn't be possible on the Switch when people talk about how it's inferior hardware so much. Final Fantasy 7 Remake always seemed like a game that "oh, you need hardware this powerful to handle those visuals, so I understand why it's not on Switch"....but after seeing Crisis Core run on and look as good as it does on Switch, I feel like FF7 Remake could be ported to it if they had the time and resources for it.
yeah it looks pretty amazing, specially for the 'realistic' artstyle its one of the best looking games and well optimized.

although, there is still a big difference in game logic compared to remake, visual/asset quality Crisis Core can come close and looks pretty but when it comes to remake VII running on a Switch, the set pieces, higher poly environments, multiple playable characters and stuff will make the system struggle a lot, Crisis Core Reunion seems like a project made with the Switch in mind and that's why it turned out so well.

Its gonna be interesting to see what developers can do on the Switch 2!

Last edited:

stranno

It's funny how they call this a remaster and the uber-crappy 2013 port of Final Fantasy VI a "remake".

Anyway, it's nice to see the Angeal vs Genesis vs Sephiroth combat in full HD, finally. Probably among the TOP5 cinematics in Final Fantasy franchise.

- Visuals fully reworked using UE4 but running on same PSP frame-work
- Story FMV's have been cleaned up w/ AI-upscaling, summon CGs have been fully recreated
- Some comparisons with FFVII remake made in the video, some assets have been lifted straight up from FFVII but it's still nowhere near the level of the remake itself.

- PS5|SX run dynamic 1800p~2160p
- Series S is static 1080p
- All 3 target and run perfect at 60 FPS. Pre-rendered content is 30 FPS
- Visual features are identical across them all

- On Switch most of the rendering features are present
- Minor cut-backs made in some terrain and foliage density.
- SSR and DoF are present but less refined. Shadows are also missing in outdoor areas.
- Docked: 720p to 576p with Unreal TAAU used to scale.
- Portable: 720p to 432p with Unreal TAAU to resolve to a higher resolution.
- Switch targets 30 FPS but has severe frame pacing issues. Less of an issue in poratble compared to docked.
- Switch can also drop frames to mid 20s in some locations.

Any true real differences between the premium systems?

Top Bottom