• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One S/Xbox One X vs PS4 and PS4 Pro

Jon Neu

Banned
I would really appreciate that.

Because RDR 2 uses a global ilumination system, good amount of NPCs with day/night cycle with good AI (including animals), volumetric lighting + fog with multiple light sources (Saint Denis)

So wtf is Cyberpunk doing to justify such performance at 720p? Brain dead AI, lack of NPCs and cars, terrible draw distances for geometry and shadows ...

The huge buildings? But is that it?

I can't understand, honestly

If the illumination is whats so taxing, they should have gone for a baked sollution on consoles instead of dynamic.

Cyberpunk has amazing graphics, way much more detail than RDR2, the best RTX ever and if you play in the correct platform, an amazing density of NPC's and vehicles.

thelastword

Banned
EpOpuhtXUAIVtZD
This looks like the best assessment right now.
These assessments make no sense. The PS5 version is the most stable 60fps, that makes it a better way to play than the series X and S.......There is no way that series S is a better way to play this game at 30fps with dips, hitching and game freezes over PS5 at 60fps.....As a matter of fact, all XBOX versions suffer from severe hitching and freezes that can last well over a minute on XBONES at worst....PS versions don't have that problem, the XBONEX version is worse than PRO falling to 15fps often and the Series X version is worse than PS5 in performance mode.......The Series X in quality mode falls below 30fps and hitches just the same.

I love this game on PC. Sure they overpromised and underdelivered but it's still an amazing game.

Base consoles though (and really every consoles other than XSX quality mode which seems to be the only mode they put any effort into) are a disgrace.

Normally I'd just enjoy the schadenfreude from console warriors arguing over crap versions but this is beyond unacceptable and I think the 4/10 marks it's been getting on base console are too generous. To me these versions are unplayable and should not exist.

Methos#1975

These assessments make no sense. The PS5 version is the most stable 60fps, that makes it a better way to play than the series X and S.......There is no way that series S is a better way to play this game at 30fps with dips, hitching and game freezes over PS5 at 60fps.....As a matter of fact, all XBOX versions suffer from severe hitching and freezes that can last well over a minute on XBONES at worst....PS versions don't have that problem, the XBONEX version is worse than PRO falling to 15fps often and the Series X version is worse than PS5 in performance mode.......The Series X in quality mode falls below 30fps and hitches just the same.

I've played nearly 35 hours of it in quality mode now on the XSX and have yet to notice any hitches or frame rate drops, only issue I've had so far is subtitles remaining onscreen for some reason

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It doesn't have a badge on the xbox store.

Are you also saying that it wont be needing or getting an upgrade next year??????
That bag even does matter?

DF said the Series X version has upgrades/optimizations over the Xbox One X version... PS5 is exactly the PS4 Pro version.

regawdless

Banned
1 frame per... Minute? Wow that One X version.

I really think that over the course of the development, the vision for that game and the needs regarding the engine outgrew the ancient hardware.

It looks and runs like crap on amateur consoles.

Leyasu

Banned

DF said the Series X version has upgrades/optimizations over the Xbox One X version... PS5 is exactly the PS4 Pro version.
Yeah, so seeing as you keep posting that as proof of something. I ask you again, do you think that that is the final version and that there won’t be further changes??

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, so seeing as you keep posting that as proof of something. I ask you again, do you think that that is the final version and that there won’t be further changes??
I’m not sure sure what you asking that because there is a next-gen patch planned for 2021.... I’m 100% sure you know that so making you question weird and unrelated to what you quoted.

Last edited:

aries_71

Why push the resolution on the OneX instead of staying at 1080 and have stable framerate? What’s the obsession with upping the res?

hemo memo

Gold Member

Yeah they already took the money and that “statement” was PR move because they know Microsoft and especially Sony wouldn’t refund.

So the lesson of the day is, fuck digital future on consoles and buy physical and keep physical until those companies change their anti-consumer store policies or else you deserve this and you should expect it.

Last edited:

waquzy

Yeah they already took the money and that “statement” was PR move because they know Microsoft and especially Sony wouldn’t refund.

So the lesson of the day is, fuck digital future on consoles and buy physical and keep physical until those companies change their anti-consumer store policies or else you deserve this and you should expect it.
Yep. Had a look on eBay last night, the place is absolutely filled with Cyberpunk 2077 lol

Hugare

Cyberpunk has amazing graphics, way much more detail than RDR2, the best RTX ever and if you play in the correct platform, an amazing density of NPC's and vehicles.
I'm talking about what its doing on consoles, of course

Vehicles and NPCs are greatly reduced, the game is way less detailed with some terrible textures, draw distance is really short and etc.

ethomaz

Banned
CDPR literally said the PS5 got optimizations. It got a huge day one patch. I'm sorry that it looks like PS5 isnt powerful enough for a Quality mode. Even beneath the Series S according to DF. That has to be embaressing.
But it didnd't.
It is the same PS4 Pro game running with higher DRS and framerate because it has more power.
The huge Day One patch is for the PS4 Pro version.

Stop with embarrassing bullshit FUD (like usual from green side) lol

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
I'm talking about what its doing on consoles, of course

Vehicles and NPCs are greatly reduced, the game is way less detailed with some terrible textures, draw distance is really short and etc.

you really can't compare cyberpunk and rdr2. in one game you have and a million light sources and assets per meter square. and on the other you have the sun and grass. of course rockstar (which has decades of experience making open world games) is not only better at optimization on console but they actually build the games for console first and then make a crappy port to pc.
cdpr develop games the other way around. PC first and then console. i have no doubt they can fix all of the game breaking bugs and make the game run a little better but don't expect a miracle. rdr is a really unfair comparison. i think a better comparison is gta v on ps3. the game ran at 25fps with dips to 20 regularly and nobody cared.

Fbh

So last gen is basically Pro > 1X > OG PS4 > OG X1

But they are all pretty terrible.

Damn, so the whole "just request a refund" statement was basically a lie too, or at very least them just assuming refunds on console work the same as on PC?

I'm expecting a lot of
Customer: "Hey Sony, CDPR said I could request a refund for this shitty version, I'd like that please"
Sony:
tenor.gif

Hugare

you really can't compare cyberpunk and rdr2. in one game you have and a million light sources and assets per meter square. and on the other you have the sun and grass. of course rockstar (which has decades of experience making open world games) is not only better at optimization on console but they actually build the games for console first and then make a crappy port to pc.
cdpr develop games the other way around. PC first and then console. i have no doubt they can fix all of the game breaking bugs and make the game run a little better but don't expect a miracle. rdr is a really unfair comparison. i think a better comparison is gta v on ps3. the game ran at 25fps with dips to 20 regularly and nobody cared.
They aren't dynamic light sources tho. It's all backed. So it shouldnt be that much taxing to the hardware.

"I think a better comparison is gta v on ps3. the game ran at 25fps with dips to 20 regularly and nobody cared."

GTA ran at 720p and achieved 25 fps while driving, but could mantain 30 fps in a lot of instances.

Cyberpunk runs below 600p (+TAA to fuck the image further) at less than 25 fps 90% of the time. On the Xbox One, it doesnt reach 30 fps even when looking at the sky.

harmny

Banned
They aren't dynamic light sources tho. It's all backed. So it shouldnt be that much taxing to the hardware.

"I think a better comparison is gta v on ps3. the game ran at 25fps with dips to 20 regularly and nobody cared."

GTA ran at 720p and achieved 25 fps while driving, but could mantain 30 fps in a lot of instances.

Cyberpunk runs below 600p (+TAA to fuck the image further) at less than 25 fps 90% of the time. On the Xbox One, it doesnt reach 30 fps even when looking at the sky.

yes that's what i said. expect gta v performance. not that the game is running like gta v now. it will run at 25 fps while driving and 30fps in a lot of instances. with no breaking bugs and no crashes or hang ups.

Kuranghi

For those playing on PS5/XSX and using HDR, is this what your HDR looks like?:

Are you happy with the way it looks and prefer it to playing in SDR?

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I’m not sure sure what you asking that because there is a next-gen patch planned for 2021.... I’m 100% sure you know that so making you question weird and unrelated to what you quoted.
No, you’re in here saying that it is running a next gen version. If you mean a just more populated version than the ps5 in performance mode and an a quality mode also, then that is true. But it is not the upgraded version. Saying that it is “XsX vs is pro is wrong. It does not have the optimized badge on the store.

ethomaz

Banned
No, you’re in here saying that it is running a next gen version. If you mean a just more populated version than the ps5 in performance mode and an a quality mode also, then that is true. But it is not the upgraded version. Saying that it is “XsX vs is pro is wrong. It does not have the optimized badge on the store.
It is not me saying.

DF confirmed the Xbox Series X versions is a upgraded/optimized version over the Xbox One X.
PS5 version is the PS4 Pro version.

I don’t know what you guys are even arguing.

Only one version (Series X) had upgrade/optimizations for the next-gen hardware.
DF even reached the point to ask if they upgraded/optimized the Series X version due the marketing deal.

Last edited:
Beat the game on PS4 pro. And greatly enjoyed it.

The FPS drops did not really bother me in the end. There are certainly other more important fixes they need to make first to improve my experience with the game.
  1. Crash bugs. I had 15 crashes in my 30hr playthrough.
  2. Bugged out boss fights where they can't move. (At least it makes the bosses super easy)
  3. Audio bugs. Much more annoying than visual bugs to me. Music cutting in and out etc.
  4. The janky 3rd person switching in driving mode! Fix this!
  5. Tons of UI issues and bugs. Like just managing invetory. Sometime UI elements would be stuck on the HUD. Sometimes I would have bugs where I could not dismantle items until reloading the game.
  6. Issues picking up world items.
  7. Hair and head items disappearing in cut scenes. Ruins the mood in critical scenes. (Workaround dont wear hats/helmets)
  8. Conversations starting while you are already in the middle of one.
  9. Need a cool down between missions. You should not be getting called for the next random side mission 1sec immediately after completing something.
  10. Too much junk items in the world. I didn't even know food was a consuable item till after I beat it. Why have all these items to eat and no easy way to eat them! Already have too many bounce back stims to use even on Hard difficulty.
11. NPC's are stuck in walls and benches
12. When you are running, the sound disapears complety.😉

Romulus

CDPR literally said the PS5 got optimizations. It got a huge day one patch. I'm sorry that it looks like PS5 isnt powerful enough for a Quality mode. Even beneath the Series S according to DF. That has to be embaressing.

Lol you do understand that quality mode is 30fps right? Reducing the fps by half frees up a ton of resources to push resolution and settings. The other thing is ps5 has less access to the GPU than XSX does. It's mostly just using its cpu to brute force the ps4 pro version.

thelastword

Banned
Why push the resolution on the OneX instead of staying at 1080 and have stable framerate? What’s the obsession with upping the res?
Its because "true 4k, no compromises"........ Now clearly true 4k and no compromises are already compromised, but they would rather go with," 40% higher pixels over PRO......., but Phil, Xbox is losing the perf war, why don't we get the resolution closer to PRO and lock the framerate to 30fps....Shut up kid, I pitched true 4k, DF will give us the win on rez anyway, we got this.....

A far cry from Phil's "framerate is king"...interview.

TheGejsza

I am playing PS5 version and I picked it because I always prefer 60FPS vs 30FPS. But the problem with PS5 is that ... the resolution is too low. There is no enjoyment with exploring the city where you almost always get sub 1080p resolution and can't see shit. Everything look so smeared and there are shittons of artifacts from TAA and on top of that LOD and rendering are terrible. 1.04 helped a bit but still being in city drops res too much.

ethomaz

Banned
why is it when xbox gets a better version of something they paid for but but is PS gets a better version its just how it is? fanboys
Watch the vidio... it is DF saying that.

there is no dedicated X/S version either
Yes. There is.

Xbox Series X|S plays it own upgrade/optimized version of the game different from the Xbox One X version.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
speculating not concrete. funny how you guys always call out DF saying xbox bias but as soon as they say something like they MAYBE got more cos of marketing you jump all overt as FACT
It is concreted.
The version of the games are different.
It add a new mode.
It add new effects and graphic features.
CDPR worked/optimized a different version of the game for Xbox Series S/X.

PS5 runs the PS4 Pro version that have better DRS and framerate due the better CPU/GPU in BC.

PS. The marketing part is speculation indeed but from DF not the guy you quoted.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Had one crash after the latest patch. Am on the pro version. It's running ok currently..am in the middle of a firefight near Panams and it's performing ok so far.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-I-O-N

So...

PS5 runs PS4 Pro version.
Séries X runs it own optimized version.
It has different settings and effects than Xbox One X.
It received upgrades.
Maybe Xbox.

The next-gen patch is planned to 2021.
PS5 runs the exactly same version as PS4 Pro.
Not PS5.
Exactly same settling as PS4 Pro.
PS5 runs in PS4 Pro BC mode.

That is wh my it doesn’t have the quality mode on PS5... PS4 Pro doesn’t have quality mode.

PS5 didn’t get optimizations.

Is that a joke post?
CDPR... I believe MS can’t add a new mode in the game.

Yes.
But it didnd't.
It is the same PS4 Pro game running with higher DRS and framerate because it has more power.
The huge Day One patch is for the PS4 Pro version.

Stop with embarrassing bullshit FUD (like usual from green side) lol
It is not me saying.

DF confirmed the Xbox Series X versions is a upgraded/optimized version over the Xbox One X.
PS5 version is the PS4 Pro version.

I don’t know what you guys are even arguing.

Only one version (Series X) had upgrade/optimizations for the next-gen hardware.
DF even reached the point to ask if they upgraded/optimized the Series X version due the marketing deal.
Watch the vidio... it is DF saying that.

Yes. There is.

Xbox Series X|S plays it own upgrade/optimized version of the game different from the Xbox One X version.
It is concreted.
The version of the games are different.
It add a new mode.
It add new effects and graphic features.
CDPR worked/optimized a different version of the game for Xbox Series S/X.

PS5 runs the PS4 Pro version that have better DRS and framerate due the better CPU/GPU in BC.

PS. The marketing part is speculation indeed but from DF not the guy you quoted.

thelastword

Banned
I am playing PS5 version and I picked it because I always prefer 60FPS vs 30FPS. But the problem with PS5 is that ... the resolution is too low. There is no enjoyment with exploring the city where you almost always get sub 1080p resolution and can't see shit. Everything look so smeared and there are shittons of artifacts from TAA and on top of that LOD and rendering are terrible. 1.04 helped a bit but still being in city drops res too much.
PS5 averages around 1200p in performance mode. The thing about this game is that many effects scale with resolution, the CA, the TAA and filmgrain combined blurs the image something fierce, even on a high end PC, no one is playing this at 4k. Dark10x played at 1440p DLSS on a 3090 at 30fps....

You have to decide if you prefer rez over frames, but with higher rez your frames will drop. I personally would prefer higher frames over rez for this game, which has massive input latency at 30fps and below....

FireFly

Where do the DF team talk about hitching and freezing on the Series S/X?

skit_data

Oh one side might have reasons for their desperation, that shows in the reaction to facts pointed out DF. The mere thought that the Series X can ”only” double the framerate and run with higher settings and more modes due to better BC seem to scare some, how come?

I would say its a pretty damn good result, all things considered. Or is it the fact that we have yet to see anything closely resembling an actual PS5 version that makes this a little troubling?

Keep the FUD lol

What I wrote is confirmed.

I think that you are mistaking, yes the Series X runs an upgraded version of CP2077, but not an optimized version, that's completely different. This is always a pure BC version based on durango toolset and not scarlett. But when you installed the game on One/X or Series S/X, some settings differ and are availables linked to the version installed. In fact, it works since like that since the One X launch. Some settings are added on Series X and the possibilities to choice between 2 modes but it works in the same ways at it was the case between the One X and the One S, but no, you can't say that the game is optimized to Series X as the version running on it is not optimized for it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really think that over the course of the development, the vision for that game and the needs regarding the engine outgrew the ancient hardware.
Did it? The very first footage they showed for the game was a 1 hour demo running at 1080p 30 fps on a 1080 Ti. An 11 tflops Nvidia GPU. at least 6x more powerful than the PS4 and 9x more powerful than the X1. Basically a GPU on par with next gen consoles.

That should've been everyone;s first clue. Typically games that start dev on PCs actually manage to get 4k 60 fps versions of vertical slices up and running. Like Anthem. This game was running at 1080p 30 fps on the most powerful PC on the market at the time.

It was never meant to run on last gen hardware. They didnt care.

Top Bottom