• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Space Remake PC - DF Tech Review - The #StutterStruggle Continues

yamaci17

The consoles only have traversal stutter, which the PC also has on top of the shader compilation stutter, which the consoles don't. It's not the same thing.

Also, the PC version can have issues where frame rate tanks to 10's in certain scenarios where the VRAM seems like it maxes out.

1rviyh.png
At the same time, game refuses to use last free 900 mb chunk of free VRAM. This is a recent trend with a lot of AAA games. They refuse to use the final %10-15 of the total available VRAM. That 9235 MB usage is actually total VRAM usage, per game allocation is even lower (around 8.7 GB max). This game also follows the same %87-89 VRAM rule Forspoken and other games follow

Games around Ampere's release had no problem fully utilizing the entire framebuffer. I don't know what's changed since then. Cyberpunk can fully use the entirety of 10384 MB of available budget as long as you have free VRAM.

Last edited:

Duchess

If I were a PC gamer, I'd be demanding that shader compilation before starting the game. I wouldn't care if it took an hour. Some of the stuttering and freezes I've seen happening in these videos are hideous.

Just tell the game to compile shaders, and then take the dog out for a walk..!

yamaci17

If I were a PC gamer, I'd be demanding that shader compilation before starting the game. I wouldn't care if it took an hour. Some of the stuttering and freezes I've seen happening in these videos are hideous.

Just tell the game to compile shaders, and then take the dog out for a walk..!
I would be okay with this too. But make it an option. Hell, make the initial shader compile an option too. Make it a graphics option. Do not make it mandatory. Let us pick how long or extensive the compilation might be. Give people some options.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It’s pathetic on the PC, you get all excited to play and the atmosphere is incredible but then you’re stuttering every other second , it’s really that bad. There better be a patch soon.

Much better experience on PS5 no doubt about it especially with the Dualsense.
very pathetic with this nearly perfect visuals and non retard non deficient gameplay:

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It’s pathetic on the PC, you get all excited to play and the atmosphere is incredible but then you’re stuttering every other second , it’s really that bad. There better be a patch soon.

Much better experience on PS5 no doubt about it especially with the Dualsense.

Just my experience, good for you if you like it on PC the issues are widely known.
Let me guess.
Your CPU is from the 1800s and your GPU is actually a potato.

Your PC would have to be that shitty for the experience to be better on a MediumStation 5.

Black_Stride

5900x/3080 with a PS5 and I have pretty much given up on AAA games on PC because the technical issues are getting ridiculous. At least back in the day you could brute force games that weren’t optimized. How do you brute force shader compilation stutter?
Shader Comp aint an issue in this game......unless for some reason you change your GPU mid game.
Or for whatever other reason you decide to reinstall the exact same driver you were on when the game did the Shader Comp on first boot.
If you update your driver the game will do another Shader Comp run when it boots.

The loading lag is present in every version of the game.
They are likely being way too aggressive with how much resource they are giving to the loading of the next section of the map.

Black_Stride

Consoles win again. Is there much point in having a PC this gen if you like big budget AAA games? The stutter is insufferable.
Console wins what?
Lower resolution, Lower frame rate, No Ultra wide support, Medium Settings, The same loading stutter as on PC.

PC version has a shader comp run when you load up the game so in any normal use case you wont get shader comp stutter.
Alex got shader stutter because he was reinstalling the exact same version of drivers and flushing the shader cache.
Changing GPUs while also remaining on the exact same build of a driver will also flush the shader cache.

GametimeUK

Console wins what?
Lower resolution, Lower frame rate, No Ultra wide support, Medium Settings, The same loading stutter as on PC.

PC version has a shader comp run when you load up the game so in any normal use case you wont get shader comp stutter.
Alex got shader stutter because he was reinstalling the exact same version of drivers and flushing the shader cache.
Changing GPUs while also remaining on the exact same build of a driver will also flush the shader cache.

Console wins because the stutter is not as intense as it is on console. The framerate exceeding 60fps is actually worse on Dead Space because it makes the stutters far more noticeable so it's better to just cap at 60fps and be done with it. Had the stutters not be so intense on PC it would have taken the W on this one, but unfortunately it's a fat L because it kills the experience. It nullifies all the added benefits the PC gets. Performance stability is the most important thing to me.

Black_Stride

Console wins because the stutter is not as intense as it is on console. The framerate exceeding 60fps is actually worse on Dead Space because it makes the stutters far more noticeable so it's better to just cap at 60fps and be done with it. Had the stutters not be so intense on PC it would have taken the W on this one, but unfortunately it's a fat L because it kills the experience. It nullifies all the added benefits the PC gets. Performance stability is the most important thing to me.
number-one-bullshit-khabib-nurmagomedov.gif

The stutter will happen regardless of your frame rate.
Its a loading stutter that occurs on all platforms.
On console the animations literally stop for that frame.

Imagine giving the W to a sub 1080p game in 2023 vs having a loading stutter that last a frame that also occurs on the sub 1080p version of the game.
Mate are you playing the Switch version?

GametimeUK

The stutter will happen regardless of your frame rate.
Its a loading stutter that occurs on all platforms.
On console the animations literally stop for that frame.

Imagine giving the W to a sub 1080p game in 2023 vs having a loading stutter that last a frame that also occurs on the sub 1080p version of the game.
Mate are you playing the Switch version?
Imagine in 2023 using native resolution as a weapon when DLSS has existed for years and sub 1080p resolutions can look impressive. FSR on consoles is fine. We've been praising this stuff for a while now.

Stuttering happens on all platforms, but is worse on PC no matter how much pretend the hitches are equal on both platforms. Yes stuttering happens at all framerates, but to my eyes at least it's less jarring at lower framerates so a hitch at 60fps doesn't seem as impactful as at 100fps+.

I'm playing on PC, mate.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Consoles win again. Is there much point in having a PC this gen if you like big budget AAA games? The stutter is insufferable.

It's weird, this game is using Frostbite, have previous Frostbite games on PC suffered this ?

I don't recall shader compilation being such a prevalent issue a few years back for UE4 games either.

Black_Stride

Imagine in 2023 using native resolution as a weapon when DLSS has existed for years and sub 1080p resolutions can look impressive. FSR on consoles is fine. We've been praising this stuff for a while now.

Stuttering happens on all platforms, but is worse on PC no matter how much pretend the hitches are equal on both platforms. Yes stuttering happens at all framerates, but to my eyes at least it's less jarring at lower framerates so a hitch at 60fps doesn't seem as impactful as at 100fps+.

I'm playing on PC, mate.

Black_Stride

It's weird, this game is using Frostbite, have previous Frostbite games on PC suffered this ?

I don't recall shader compilation being such a prevalent issue a few years back for UE4 games either.
This is a loading stutter.
Most Frostbite games either stream their data on the fly (Battlefield, Battlefront, Andromeda, NFS) or basically load everything all at once (Sports games).
This game seems to be somewhere in the middle, where it supposed to be a seamless experience, but the game still has set loading points and those point are taking CPU time causing the stutter.
They could likely fix this by having the loading not be as aggressive and have the doors open ever so slightly slower (if thats even necessary)

As for games seemingly having more stuttering now.
Older titles were DirectX 11 or actually did their shader comp async/at first boot/without our knowledge.

Games were running DX11 few years back (At least UE4). Stuttering was less prevalent in DX11 I think. But then again, was the infamous Arkham Knight stutter a result of shader compilation problems?

Did Frostbite games run Dx12 from the get go?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Seems like every game suffers this nowadays. And having a complication at launch is imo not a good solution since I don’t want to wait to play. I don’t have to on console.
In my experience with games that do the compilation, it’s very annoying and triggered when I reset nvcp settings and few other situations. Not only when you install drivers. You end up waiting a ton if you want to tinker with fixes… and you have to tinker.

nowhat

So for the record, I'm not a fan of Alex. His style just rubs me the wrong way, and some of his routines (Crysis? Still? Really?) are so worn out.

But I admit it would be epic if he'd release a video a few years from now along the lines of "fuck it, I'm done, I'm moving to consoles".

Black_Stride

5800x
And the experience is better on PS5 than a 5800 x 4090?
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

Aint this also you?:
That Dead Space article is bullshit.
Mine runs at 4k ultra and I’m seeing 70-90fps constantly.

I’m surprised the pc version was released in this state.
In a beautiful state with a slight loading freeze when loading in new areas of the map?
Something that they could easily patch by reducing the resources used during the loading phase.

TrebleShot

And the experience is better on PS5 than a 5800 x 4090?
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

Aint this also you?:

In a beautiful state with a slight loading freeze when loading in new areas of the map?
Something that they could easily patch by reducing the resources used during the loading phase.
Mate it stutters every few seconds, not sure what to tell you.
IQ is nice.
Perf above 60 is nice.

Much smoother on PS5, no stutters, can sit back on the sofa and chill.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Mate it stutters every few seconds, not sure what to tell you.
IQ is nice.
Perf above 60 is nice.

Much smoother on PS5, no stutters, can sit back on the sofa and chill.
We clearly see that differences are at least not staggering like pc people would want you believe.
The fact that we are debating if 400$ console maybe plays a game better or similar like a high end pc, it’s in itself a conversation stopper

winjer

Gold Member
I bet that of Alex was to disable Control Flow Guard for the games he tests, he would get rid of a lot of the stutters he sees in games.

GametimeUK

Are people actually trying to say the console version is better than the pc version? Haha good one!
Looks like I'm the only PC guy in the thread who believes stable performance is the most important thing. I know a lot of PC guys used to think the same thing until this PC Stutter Struggle started happening. Now the goalposts have shifted. I can't believe I'm reading that people would rather have more stuttering in their game if it means they get a higher framerate, resolution graphic settings.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Not technically but through ease of use and overall experience yes.
Eh, thats subjective. Personally i hate playing on couchTV™ and controllers.

Looks like I'm the only PC guy in the thread who believes stable performance is the most important thing. I know a lot of PC guys used to think the same thing until this PC Stutter Struggle started happening. Now the goalposts have shifted. I can't believe I'm reading that people would rather have more stuttering in their game if it means they get a higher framerate, resilution graphic settings.
No goalposts have shifted. This kind of stutter was a thing for eons, on consoles too in fact, and no cared or noticed them until DF decided to start pointing them out.

Last edited:

Vick

Might be worth giving this a shot:

Fix for traversal and camera stutters on PC:

• Turn off motion blur
  • Delete everything in folder C:\Users\*\Documents\Dead Space (2023)\cache
  • Let the game to compile shaders
  • Do not change any settings in the game after that
It's way, waaaay better after doing this, almost zero stutters, very smooth performance and gameplay. I guess everytime you change settings after the process is complete, it somehow messes with the shaders already compiled at the first start of the game, hense causing stutters and bad performance.

No need to downplay the PS5 version, on my fourth run on it and had a total blast. Game runs and looks consistently great.
Performance Mode:

Dead-Space-20230209190301.png

Dead-Space-20230205023902.png

Dead-Space-20230207015228.png

Dead-Space-20230207162002.png

Dead-Space-20230207004916.png

We clearly see that differences are at least not staggering like pc people would want you believe.
"Medium settings" "Medium Station".. DF videos shows there's literally no discernible difference between Ultra and Medium, reason why Battaglia is making guesses.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Might be worth giving this a shot:

No need to downplay the PS5 version, on my fourth run on it and had a total blast. Game is smooth and looks great.

"Medium settings" "Medium Station".. DF videos shows there's literally no discernible difference between Ultra and Medium, reason why Battaglia is making guesses.
Exactly. That’s the crux of these pc settings. They are redundant just because they feel the need for every option to have low medium high and ultra.
Make settings count or leave them as is. Waste of everyone’s time if they don’t change anything.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Looks like I'm the only PC guy in the thread who believes stable performance is the most important thing. I know a lot of PC guys used to think the same thing until this PC Stutter Struggle started happening. Now the goalposts have shifted. I can't believe I'm reading that people would rather have more stuttering in their game if it means they get a higher framerate, resolution graphic settings.
The stable input lag and frame rate performances are still far better of pc, despite your crusade vs some rare stuttering.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Difference is I deal with facts. Other people deal with special emotions with 900p, potato gunplay with dual sticks with aim assists and claw grip, higher lag, lower frame rate, lower aspect ratios and FoV, higher prices for the games, no mods, etc, etc...
Some facts, mostly preferences.
People prefer to play with controller and games stutter less on console that is also cheaper.

GametimeUK

Difference is I deal with facts. Other people deal with special emotions with 900p, potato gunplay with dual sticks with aim assists and claw grip, higher lag, lower frame rate, lower aspect ratios and FoV, higher prices for the games, no mods, etc, etc...
Is 900p only bad when a console does it or is also bad when sub 1080p is used for DLSS to get better performance and visuals out of a 2060 super?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I bet that of Alex was to disable Control Flow Guard for the games he tests, he would get rid of a lot of the stutters he sees in games.

You talked about this in the hogwarts topic but besides you and some random unknown youtuber, I've seen no one talking about this, or testing this properly. Are you usre it has an effect and its not just placebo? Im sure some system stutters may get fixed, that have nothing to do with the game but most stutters like Dead Space ones are just level loadings.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You've been warned prior to this, next time it's a break from the site. Enough PCMR and console war gaslighting.
People prefer to play with controller and games stutter less on console that is also cheaper.
People preferring the more retard, imprecise with lack of enough buttons controller doesn't make it less retard, imprecise and with more buttons.

And the game is not cheaper. Why the hell would I pay the same or more for a game with less resolution, frame rate, graphics, controller options, etc etc?
Is 900p only bad when a console does it or is also bad when sub 1080p is used for DLSS to get better performance and visuals out of a 2060 super?
900p tp 1440p with FSR on a 4k screen is worse everywhere.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
You talked about this in the hogwarts topic but besides you and some random unknown youtuber, I've seen no one talking about this, or testing this properly. Are you usre it has an effect and its not just placebo? Im sure some system stutters may get fixed, that have nothing to do with the game but most stutters like Dead Space ones are just level loadings.

This is talked about in several tech forums, where people with more tech savviness dwell.
A few users here already tested these tweaks, and had good results.

Why don't you try it for yourself. It's not that complicated.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This is talked about in several tech forums, where people with more tech savviness dwell.
A few users here already tested these tweaks, and had good results.

Why don't you try it for yourself. It's not that complicated.

I dont have dead space remake but I dont see how this fixes the games stutters when it loads. Its something the devs have to fix, adress, by either loading the levels in a different way, like consoles do, progressively and slowly, rather than instantly whenever you approach a door which will cause a frame spike no matter how high end your system is.

winjer

Gold Member
I dont have dead space remake but I dont see how this fixes the games stutters when it loads. Its something the devs have to fix, adress, by either loading the levels in a different way, like consoles do, progressively and slowly, rather than instantly whenever you approach a door which will cause a frame spike no matter how high end your system is.

I already explained how CFG can harm performance on the Hogwarts thread. And on which type of games it affects.
You can read it there, or read it on other tech forums.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People preferring the more retard, imprecise with lack of enough buttons controller doesn't make it less retard, imprecise and with more buttons.

900p tp 1440p with FSR on a 4k screen is worse everywhere.
The only retard here is you for telling people what they prefer.
Controller is very comfortable, have all the buttons right there, analog movement and triggers. That plus haptics and features.
You can take your precision mouse and put it up your fucking ass. My goal in gaming is not to be precision 360 no scoping all the time. Precision aiming is not gameplay... but if you really need to know, people play very precisely with controllers too.

Top Bottom