• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] DF Direct Weekly #86: Is Xbox Series S Holding Back Gaming? Forza Horizon 5, Sackboy, Halo Patches

Md Ray

Only PS fanboys believe that XSS holding anything back.

Smart and sensible gamers know that its not holding anything. Multiplatform games are made keeping low end Pac hardware in mind not XSS.

Plus RDNA2 features like FSR, sampler feedback and all will help devs to optimise games better for consoles.

Optimisation for SS will result in better optimisation for all consoles.
FSR is not an RDNA 2 feature. It can also be run on RDNA 1, GCN, NVIDIA, Intel GPUs. Heck I'd even argue that sampler feedback "and all" are not RDNA 2 features as they appeared on NVIDIA's Turing architecture two-years before they did on RDNA 2. And now they're present even in Intel dGPUs.

Last edited:
FSR is not an RDNA 2 feature. It can also be run on RDNA 1, GCN, NVIDIA, Intel GPUs. Heck I'd even argue that sampler feedback "and all" are not RDNA 2 features as they appeared on NVIDIA's Turing architecture two-years before they did on RDNA 2. And now they're present even in Intel dGPUs.
Until these features are actually used it makes no sense to talk about the XSS holding anything back. They haven't even maximized the console yet.

Klosshufvud

What's actually holding back this gen are
-incompetent developers
-safe and stale recycling of AAA series
-greedy publishers who seek endless monetization and buy outs
-lack of innovations regarding physics, AI and game logic
-Poor quality of storytelling, characters and art direction
-Over-reliance on a select few engines as skilled engineers are no longer working in gaming

Any eventual Series S bottleneck comes so far down the list it's not even worth talking about. We have much more apparent bottlenecks yet nobody seems to talk about it. Instead we're all discussing whether rendering a game without ray tracing is somehow a crime against humanity.

Darsxx82

So we're gonna believe Digital Foundry and random forum dwellers (including me) but discard what actual game developers say? Why?
Look at the video. DF's opinion is based on what developers have told them.

According to them, there are some who complain about difficulties with the amount of Ram memory but not that XSS is weighing down XSX and PS5. If it does come, that time hasn't yet.

That said, I don't know if it's better to believe Indi developers who tell you that XSS is weighing down XSX/PS5 when 99% of the games released are crossgen with an XBO/PS4 version...

My opinion is that we have to wait and see what XSX and PS5 are capable of before accusing XSS of weighing down the generation.
I still think that there is nothing that XSX could move that XSS does not, even if this requires visual cutouts and resolutions of 720p or lower that can be solved with the new image scaling techniques. The example of the Matrix demo is relevant to the discussion.

As I said, time will tell if XSS was a drag. But today that day to draw conclusions has not yet arrived.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Look at the video. DF's opinion is based on what developers have told them.

According to them, there are some who complain about difficulties with the amount of Ram memory but not that XSS is weighing down XSX and PS5. If it does come, that time hasn't yet.

That said, I don't know if it's better to believe Indi developers who tell you that XSS is weighing down XSX/PS5 when 99% of the games released are crossgen with an XBO/PS4 version...

My opinion is that we have to wait and see what XSX and PS5 are capable of before accusing XSS of weighing down the generation.
I still think that there is nothing that XSX could move that XSS does not, even if this requires visual cutouts and resolutions of 720p or lower that can be solved with the new image scaling techniques. The example of the Matrix demo is relevant to the discussion.

As I said, time will tell if XSS was a drag. But today that day to draw conclusions has not yet arrived.
I do agree that we need to wait a bit more, especially after cross-gen is fully left behind, to make a final conclusion. Having said that, Series S hasn't fared that well so far and has failed to live up to the initial expectations set by Microsoft, so the signs aren't that good.

Also, the I Am Fish developer was only the latest one to raise concerns, but it's not just indie developers who have complained about XSS. Even AAA devs from Rocksteady and id Software raised concerns against Series S in the past.

I Master l

Banned
Its obvious that that memory capacity in the Series S was always going to be an issue and extra work for devs in the long haul. Doesn't help that there's also a huge gulf in the memory bandwidth between the Series X and PS5 to the Series S. We have 16GB of relatively fast GDDR6 of the duo, verses the much slower 10GB GDDR6 on the Series S. Which offer two times more, or greater memory bandwidth.

RTX 3070 which annihilate the PS5 in performance have only 8gb vram btw

hinch7

RTX 3070 which annihilate the PS5 in performance have only 8gb vram btw
Yeah comparing a discrete GPU which aren't power constrained, to a completely different vendor and architecture on a console's APU doesn't make much sense. That Ampere GPU uses up more power than the whole of Series X or PS5 consoles and 3070 has a way larger die size. Performance wise that GPU should easily outperform consoles GPU's.. if i had to guess probably by around 25%, if not more (if we say console GPU's are ~ a RX 6650XT/6700 or 2080/Super in rasterization). The lower the VRAM and bandwidth the more the likey its going to run into issues if going past memory budget at higher resolutions and/or loading higher quality assets.

Besides I was comparing the Series S to X/PS5.

Last edited:

kikkis

If next gen game targets 1080p on ps5 then its going to be roughly in 720p territory on series s. I am not sure if customers are going to be too happy about that low resolution on S.

If cpu side of the game uses 4gb of ram then that leaves only 4gb for graphics side versus 9.5gb on series X. Thats more than double, which is a lot for highly optimized AAA game. Now I suppose you can half the textures to quarter resolution, but I can't say how good games look at that point or is it even enough of a memory reduction.

But I dont think series s holds back gaming, but it might have some pretty rough looking games.

Just addressing your first idea that maybe the Matrix demo could have been more if it didn't have to run on the Series S. The fact that neither the PS5 nor XSX can run the current build at a steady 30fps, leads me to believe that there were already pushing as hard as they could with their current console optimizations at the time. Adding more scene complexity or higher resolution targets would have simply drug the fps down further. I don't follow your logic.
The demo seems to drop PFS in cross roads at high speed seamingly when streaming in new assets so it's not about scene complexity.

Razvedka

Banned
I would like to comment on those 2 points here.

1/ The demo was designed in order to run on the X1S. We'll never know how the demo could have being if designed to run on XSX and PS5. But maybe we already have that demo with the first demo running exclusively on PS5...
2/ The problem will still be the same as if they start streaming data on X1S they will be able to stream as much data on XSX.

They always make those arguments (or similar) since the start of the gen, how can they not understand their logic is so wrong?
In fairness, the UE5 demo can run on PC readily + not even be remotely taxing for PC SSD's slower than what the PS5 is packing.

feynoob

Banned
-incompetent developers
-Over-reliance on a select few engines as skilled engineers are no longer working in gaming

Any eventual Series S bottleneck comes so far down the list it's not even worth talking about. We have much more apparent bottlenecks yet nobody seems to talk about it. Instead we're all discussing whether rendering a game without ray tracing is somehow a crime against humanity.
Thank you brother. Nothing but a fact here.

feynoob

Banned
I do agree that we need to wait a bit more, especially after cross-gen is fully left behind, to make a final conclusion. Having said that, Series S hasn't fared that well so far and has failed to live up to the initial expectations set by Microsoft, so the signs aren't that good.

Also, the I Am Fish developer was only the latest one to raise concerns, but it's not just indie developers who have complained about XSS. Even AAA devs from Rocksteady and id Software raised concerns against Series S in the past.
If it can run cyberpunk2077, then the console has no issue.

feynoob

Banned
Oh, but the feedback from devs stating issues with Series S' memory limitations is very real, let's not ignore that.
That is true. It's why MS is working on optimization.
I am not expert in this field, but I saw them mentioning some sort of memory manipulation.

Md Ray

Then, the devs don't need to do rts on xss.
4A Games (Metro devs) moved their engine's entire lighting scheme to ray-tracing now. All of their future games will have RT lighting just like in Metro Exodus Enhanced (which already runs at 512p), so Series S' limited mem is going to be a challenge for them.

Wouldn't be surprised if their next game hit 480p on that console.

Klosshufvud

4A Games (Metro devs) moved their engine's entire lighting scheme to ray-tracing now. All of their future games will have RT lighting just like in Metro Exodus Enhanced (which already runs at 512p), so Series S' limited mem is going to be a challenge for them.

Wouldn't be surprised if their next game hit 480p on that console.
It would be fun to see them sell an RT-only game on PC. I'd definitely grab some popcorns for that imminent trainwreck.

Woody337

-incompetent developers

Also......when will companies stop using covid as an excuse to cover for all of this?

JackMcGunns

Lots to unpack here.

• John mentions feedback from devs stating issues with the memory limitations of the series s.
  • Alex says its not holding back next gen atm because X1 and PS4 are holding back next gen, but eventually series s might.
  • Richard brings up how the series s is cheap and is needed in the current economic climate. Sales are 50:50 in UK and Europe so it will be impossible to ignore it.
  • They bring up the Matrix demo as proof that it wont hold back next gen gaming.
  • Alex says that the lower memory pool of the series s will force the devs into optimizing the streaming aspects of their engine which is a good thing.
  • Richard points out the miscalculation during the spec phase of the series s was likely them thinking that textures make up the most amount of memory usage but RT has proved that to be a false assumption.
  • Alex brings up the software lumens as a fallback option for series s especially since Epic recently mentioned that they were able to halve the frametime budget of the original PS5 UE5 demo from 8 ms to 3.5 ms essentially doubling performance.
I am not a fan of how they all bent over backwards to defend this thing. Is it going to hold back gaming? Well if devs are telling you it will, why deny or make excuses for it? *Snip*..
Expected better from DF especially since they mentioned they had feedback from the devs and then proceeded to completely ignore it.

Bent over backwards? It’s an analysis, imagine calling an FSR analysis of God of War bending over backwards to defend lower resolution wth?

Developers are annoyed about Series S PRECISELY because it can’t (not won’t) but can’t hold the gen back because they’re not allowed to.

If devs had no restrictions, they would make the game work on Series S (which would then be a piece of cake for PS5 and XSX) and call it a day, instead 2 separate games need to be created, often drastic like 2 separate engines, an engine with ray tracing and another without.

That’s what devs are complaining about, it’s NOT for your interest, but for their own.

Last edited:

Banned
The difference is that that's dedicated VRAM. The 10GB in Series S and 16GB in PS5/XSX are used for both VRAM and system RAM.

a console doesn't need a lot of system memory tho as background tasks are minimised and the OS is way more lightweight than on a PC.

Banned
Lots to unpack here.

• John mentions feedback from devs stating issues with the memory limitations of the series s.
  • Alex says its not holding back next gen atm because X1 and PS4 are holding back next gen, but eventually series s might.
  • Richard brings up how the series s is cheap and is needed in the current economic climate. Sales are 50:50 in UK and Europe so it will be impossible to ignore it.
  • They bring up the Matrix demo as proof that it wont hold back next gen gaming.
  • Alex says that the lower memory pool of the series s will force the devs into optimizing the streaming aspects of their engine which is a good thing.
  • Richard points out the miscalculation during the spec phase of the series s was likely them thinking that textures make up the most amount of memory usage but RT has proved that to be a false assumption.
  • Alex brings up the software lumens as a fallback option for series s especially since Epic recently mentioned that they were able to halve the frametime budget of the original PS5 UE5 demo from 8 ms to 3.5 ms essentially doubling performance.
I am not a fan of how they all bent over backwards to defend this thing. Is it going to hold back gaming? Well if devs are telling you it will, why deny or make excuses for it?

noone is bending over backwards to defend it. stating rational thoughts isn't defending it.

and the "devs" who did say anything publicly so far are all low tier developers of shitty indy games that most likely never wrote a single line of code, use UE4 blueprints and then wonder why their games run like shit.
we are talking games like I am Fish, which is a game that exists on Xbox One and that still manages to only run at 30fps on Series X

if the Matrix Demo can run on the Series S with almost the same settings as on Series X, then every game can run on the Series S, it's that simple. the amount of raytracing happening in that demo is ridiculous and all that in an open world as well

UE5 wasn't even finished yet when that demo was developed and it still managed to run fine

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
noone is bending over backwards to defend it. stating rational thoughts isn't defending it.

and the "devs" who did say anything publicly so far are all low tier developers of shitty indy games that most likely never wrote a single line of code, use UE4 blueprints and then wonder why their games run like shit.
we are talking games like I am Fish, which is a game that exists on Xbox One and that still manages to only run at 30fps on Series X

if the Matrix Demo can run on the Series S with almost the same settings as on Series X, then every game can run on the Series S, it's that simple.

UE5 wasn't even finished yet when that demo was developed and it still managed to run fine
As I mentioned in my other comments, Rocksteady and ID Software devs have also publicly complained about Series S.

They are not "low tier developers of shitty indy games that most likely never wrote a single line of code."

Banned
As I mentioned in my other comments, Rocksteady and ID Software devs have also publicly complained about Series S.

They are not "low tier developers of shitty indy games that most likely never wrote a single line of code."

that Rocksteady guy was clearly trying to defend that dogshit Gotham Knights game by stating nonsense like that the Series S is the reason the PS5 and Series X versions run at 30fps... something so retarded and clearly pulled out of his ass can't be taken seriously sorry.

and someone at iD tech indeed said that they couldn't get RT running on Series S due to the Memory bandwidth.
but that is on their first try to get RT running on console and most likely with a tiny budget for the next gen upgrade. this was not a full game development cycle or budget

Last edited:

Three

a console doesn't need a lot of system memory tho as background tasks are minimised and the OS is way more lightweight than on a PC.
console OS can still use around 2GB and I'm not referring to just OS anyway. Games use the separate RAM too on PC, not just the VRAM. 8GB of dedicated VRAM would actually be good for most games for target console res. You can still have a requirement for say 8GB or more of regular RAM too. So a 3070 has 8GB of dedicated VRAM for GPU related tasks AND the PC still has regular RAM in addition to it for other tasks (OS being one of them).

Last edited:
Oh, but the feedback from devs stating issues with Series S' memory limitations is very real, let's not ignore that.
I have not heard any of those developers using the features that save RAM on the XSS. DF mentioned no sampler feedback streaming being used and how it handles RAM usage. Again until the system features are fully utilized complaining about an unused remedy seems silly. It's also silly to ignore the developers who aren't having issues. Perhaps struggling devs could pick up the phone and talk to a team who has some insight. The solutions are real too but are bring ignored.

that Rocksteady guy was clearly trying to defend that dogshit Gotham Knights game by stating nonsense like that the Series S is the reason the PS5 and Series X versions run at 30fps... something so retarded and clearly pulled out of his ass can't be taken seriously sorry.

and someone at iD tech indeed said that they couldn't get RT running on Series S due to the Memory bandwidth.
but that is on their first try to get RT running on console and most likely with a tiny budget for the next gen upgrade. this was not a full game development cycle or budget
Ray-Tracing is also a reasonable visual feature that can be dropped on a lowered powered console. As long as characters, AI, and level design aren't compromised lower graphics settings are fine. It's a budget console after all. Hell ray-tracing has been dropped on PS5 and XSX too. I guess that's XSS fault as well. The silliness is rampant.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Imo of course it does. The same reason I never wanted PRO consoles market segregation
This makes zero sense lol. The reality is that the pro "segregation" is an enhanced version while they're still aiming for the base. And it made perfect sense last gen to have those consoles with the rise in the 4K market, I don't see that happening this time but honestly if there is one I wouldn't mind a PS5 pro, playing ragnarok @ 4k/60 in the visuals department would kick ass.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This makes zero sense lol. The reality is that the pro "segregation" is an enhanced version while they're still aiming for the base. And it made perfect sense last gen to have those consoles with the rise in the 4K market, I don't see that happening this time but honestly if there is one I wouldn't mind a PS5 pro, playing ragnarok @ 4k/60 in the visuals department would kick ass.
You can play it at dynamic 4k 60fps.... it looks 99% the same.
Pro consoles are just a cash grab

I still don't understand why Microsoft didn't just release a digital series x, instead of a much weaker digital series s. Not to mention that it barely has any storage space too! it's just a lame attempt from Microsoft to try to compete by having a much cheaper system.
They were trying to expand their market share and by all accounts they succeeded. They had consoles on the shelves when the more expensive systems had manufacturing issues and there is an inexpensive device kids and casuals can grab. It provides an additional vector into the Xbox ecosystem. Another XSX would not have done that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gaming in general is a cash grab, I have zero qualms about my purchase of a PS4 Pro last gen.
Then be ready for console model that follows smartphone model.
New Pro console every year is a thing that will follow in footsteps of widely accepted 3 year mid-gen refresh.
What I like about consoles is that it's a generation purchase. I don't care much for it's power and technicalities.
Some gamers got way too technical in recent years fighting over pixels or 60fps or whatever.
We got them modes now, everyone should be happy... more/less

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You can play it at dynamic 4k 60fps.... it looks 99% the same.
Pro consoles are just a cash grab

I think you're prematurely assuming a potential ps5/series x pro would have the same goal as prior gen with reaching higher resolutions. But what if the reasons for new pro models was to include more dedicated hardware for rt and upscaling? If I call correctly, you're a fidelity/vfx focused guy like myself. Those additions could free up more resources for this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think you're prematurely assuming a potential ps5/series x pro would have the same goal as prior gen with reaching higher resolutions. But what if the reasons for new pro models was to include more dedicated hardware for rt and upscaling? If I call correctly, you're a fidelity/vfx focused guy like myself. Those additions could free up more resources for this.
Yes.
But it would be even worse if they included only separate chips for RT/upscaling and so on...
Then devs have even more work. With previous pro consoles at least it was a simple resolution bump which would be harder to achieve now.
So then, regular console users would feel even more fck since they are missing important graphical features and not just 1440p compared to 1080p.....

I would of course get a Pro console, don't get me wrong.
But I believe standard PS5 still have tons of power to show and we barely saw anything use it still. Look at the last of us 2 on ps4. Still looks better than ragnarok and any ps5 game.
I am not a huge RT believer... Raster tech really caught up to the point it is somewhat comparable for much cheaper performance

S0ULZB0URNE

Is it blindness? I mean you have a handful of devs out of literal 1000's complaining. This is a textbook example of confirmation bias.

Also, they aren't claiming to know better than the handful of devs that have an issue with the existence of Series S, they are literally sharing anidotes and insight from the many devs they speak with as part of their job. Your misrepresenting their statements.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember a time when there were many in the industry that were struggling with development on the ps3. In many cases, if not all, games generally performed and looked worse on the console compared to its competition. Even though the ps3 was a very capable machine, it wasn't until the industry developed game engines to take advantage of the unique hardware (cell, split memory pool between two types of ram, etc..) that we started to see parity, and in many cases, superior performance.

You are already aware, but fail to give credence to the fact that Series S has hardware that assists in mitigating memory bandwidth and size limitations. The industry will of course develop engines to take advantage of these feature sets just as they did with every other console that has been released since the atari 2600.

Again, you already know these things I'm sure, but go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand. Your conspiracy theories regarding the secret intent of digital foundry are quite entertaining. It gives many of us here on Gaf something to chuckle at.
It doesn't matter!
Devs have been vocal against the xss. Period

DF are not developers and like I said, haven't stated the devs that said otherwise.

Are you telling me when it comes to game development DF knows more?

What does the meaty vs the competition 'at the time' PS3 have to do with the paltry vs the competition xss?

Are you trying to say that developers are going to overcome the short comings and put out the best looking games like meaty PS3 did that gen 🤭

XSX and it's split ram architecture would be a better comparison but lets not go there.

Ever since DF got the exclusive on the Xbox One X and than this gens Xbox devices... they have been very suspect in the VS videos and anything PlayStation.
People who actually don't have their heads in the sand know this.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

It doesn't matter!
Devs have been vocal against the xss. Period

DF are not developers and like I stated, haven't quoted a single dev.

Are you telling me when it comes to game development DF knows more?
Misrepresenting my statements. Not sure how to respond to such a ridiculous question. I addressed this in my first response.
What does the meaty vs the competition 'at the time' PS3 have to do with the paltry vs the competition xss?
what?

Are you trying to say that developers are going to overcome the short comings and put out the best looking games like meaty PS3 did that gen 🤭
Do you have some form of issue with reading comprehension or are you purposefully misrepresenting everything I have said? I find it ridiculous that was the conclusion you came to after reading my statement.
XSX and it's split ram architecture would be a better comparison but lets not go there.
Impressively, you have managed to miss the point again.
Ever since DF got the exclusive on the Xbox One X and than this gens Xbox devices... they have been very suspect in the VS videos and anything PlayStation.
People who actually don't have their heads in the sand know this.
?? So when MS released more powerful hardware last gen, you found it suspicious that they reported generally better performance and/or better picture IQ? That's your basis to the claims of some sort of malicious intent? Lololol Again, this is referred to as confirmation bias. Don't feel bad, we all have it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Misrepresenting my statements. Not sure how to respond to such a ridiculous question. I addressed this in my first response.
what?

Do you have some form of issue with reading comprehension or are you purposefully misrepresenting everything I have said? I find it ridiculous that was the conclusion you came to after reading my statement.

Impressively, you have managed to miss the point again.

?? So when MS released more powerful hardware last gen, you found it suspicious that they reported generally better performance and/or better picture IQ? That's your basis to the claims of some sort of malicious intent? Lololol Again, this is referred to as confirmation bias. Don't feel bad, we all have it.
So you just wasted both of our time with a terrible non response.

Bravo

JackMcGunns

receipts-houston.gif

We're looking for specific words: "Holding back"

Being annoyed of having to create an additional set of optimizations for Series S =/= holding the generation back, that's holding "Developers" back.

Kataploom

Gold Member

What about those that has said the opposite? Like those ones from The Coalition, Vintage Modern Gaming guy and some others? The problem with citing devs opinions is that only those negative are the ones pointed out all the time, and they're always the same, if there was any widespread issue, you would have quotations to pick as you flavor of the day each day

Puscifer

Then be ready for console model that follows smartphone model.
New Pro console every year is a thing that will follow in footsteps of widely accepted 3 year mid-gen refresh.
What I like about consoles is that it's a generation purchase. I don't care much for it's power and technicalities.
Some gamers got way too technical in recent years fighting over pixels or 60fps or whatever.
We got them modes now, everyone should be happy... more/less

Meh, if that happens it's not like I don't have other non-gaming related hobbies and there's literally hundreds if not thousands of playable games across generations I never got around too and older games that are moddable on PC. It's....really not a huge deal

MarkMe2525

So you just wasted both of our time with a terrible non response.

Bravo
On the contrary, when you present nothing but strawmen arguments as a basis of discourse, there is nothing to respond to. Every single question you asked contained a false premise at its root. This is a common tactic when someone really doesn't have any meaningful insight, and attempts to pigeon hole someone by misrepresenting what they original said, and then attacking this new made up argument.

Top Bottom