• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox 360

Day one patches would be a thing of the past...(hopefully?)

Anyway, i hope it is true that they are working on the PS4 and PC ports.

It'd be shocking if they aren't handling those versions. Crystal Dynamics haven't made a game on a non-Xbox platform since the PS2 days. All of the PS3/4 TR's were handled by Nixxes and Buzz Monkey (they were only responsible for Anniversary PS3).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That cutting edge tech video is really good. Team knocked it out of the park visually. Hopefully more devs give DF the specifics behind some of their most impressive scenes.

etta

my hard graphic balls
mccZrLw.gif

What the hell?
Will it be patched? I was planning to get the game soon.

The input lag on the X1 brings to mind the days of Quake 3 on dial-up. Oh, client-side prediction, what a godsend you were for us lowly HPBs.

Good ole days of an HPB although I think you mean GLQuake with no prediction and Quakeworld introduced it. Pings of 250-350 vs those on isdn or college t1 internet were so unfair back then. :(

What the hell?

They slowed down the video 25%... I promise you, you won't notice it!! I've been headshoting enemies while they're running with my bow, so it doesn't affect gameplay at ALL!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good ole days of an HPB although I think you mean GLQuake with no prediction and Quakeworld introduced it. Pings of 250-350 vs those on isdn or college t1 internet were so unfair back then. :(

3 has a client-side prediction model? I always assumed it didn't, given the stark difference between it and CS 1.x.

The input lag is quite odd. I hope they can fix that. I have not noticed it too much, but i only briefly played it, so i can't judge it.

And damn...actually beter anti-aliasing on 360, but i guess that makes sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's really impressive to see this much work put into intelligently downporting the game to a previous generation platform instead of some of the ports we've seen recently that just hack away features until it barely resembles the same game.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What the hell?

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much. It's only really noticeable when you're in open combat and at least with my experience, that happens for like 10% of the game. Besides, if you aren't making judicial use of your poison arrows, you're doing it wrong.

Gren

Hats off to whomever at S-E/CD/Eidos has been deciding to keep using Nixxes for their ports. I can't recall an instance where they failed to deliver.

Wish other pubs had the means/scruples to keep signing on such an excellent studio.

Just started to play the 360 version last night and I was pleasantly surprised. The game doesn't look as good as the XONE screens poster here as well and I can't wait to play this eventually on PS4, but for now this version doesn't seem too bad. Also I was happily surprised how smooth the gameplay and performance is so far and I'm surprised the XONE has more input lag.

hawk2025

They slowed down the video 25%... I promise you, you won't notice it!! I've been headshoting enemies while they're running with my bow, so it doesn't affect gameplay at ALL!!

Yes, you will notice it.

The game plays markedly and noticeably worse than TR2013 from the moment you touch the controller, and especially any time you are shooting.

LordOfChaos

Damn impressive feat on 10 year old hardware. Then again the first one looked great on 360 already. Actually I'd be curious for the first game to second game improvements on 7th gen alone.

Did they exclude PS3 due to the Microsoft deal, or was it becoming too much of a PITA to carry forward with new games?

This is Radeon x1800 power level (well, with unified shaders and eDRAM, but in the same ballpark) hardware they're squeezing this out of...Again, just damn impressive.

- input lag on 360 is noticeably better than xbox one

some of my wat

DOWN

Banned
I'm seriously impressed that this is a better technical achievement on the 360 than games developed with the 360 in mind from the get go.

The 360 version was planned from the beginning and was greenlit after a technical test early in development. Nixxes weren't alone in the dark on this game. Crystal was limited to making animation/AI/core features that could run on both gens from the start as per publisher plans for cross gen. It's delusional to think that they would give Nixxes the small porting budget but have no scope required at Crystal to support the 360 port. It would be a huge waste of money if Crystal had been free to truly make a bunch of current gen only features that would break running on last gen, as then they would have wasted money on Nixxes trying anything at all.

That would be like spending a few hundred thousand on Arkham Knight getting a last gen port, only to learn the stupid way that the Batmobile couldn't happen on last gen due to all the streaming/AI/etc.

So no, Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360 was not made based on a totally current gen code that had cross gen consideration. It was totally cross gen and the studios absolutely would have worked knowing the need for the last gen release and that to blow it kills significant publisher money.

SURGEdude

It's a great port of a great game. I played the first few hours on 360 because I couldn't snag a bone copy and it's another slam dunk from Nixxes. I finally cracked and bought it digitally for XB1 and it's quite impressive there as well.

The 360 version was planned from the beginning and was greenlit after a technical test early in development. Nixxes weren't alone in the dark on this game. Crystal was limited to making animation/AI/core features that could run on both gens from the start as per publisher plans for cross gen. It's delusional to think that they would give Nixxes the small porting budget but have no scope required at Crystal to support the 360 port. It would be a huge waste of money if Crystal had been free to truly make a bunch of current gen only features that would break running on last gen, as then they would have wasted money on Nixxes trying anything at all.

That would be like spending a few hundred thousand on Arkham Knight getting a last gen port, only to learn the stupid way that the Batmobile couldn't happen on last gen due to all the streaming/AI/etc.

So no, Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360 was not made based on a totally current gen code that had cross gen consideration. It was totally cross gen and the studios absolutely would have worked knowing the need for the last gen release and that to blow it kills significant publisher money.

Do you have any evidence for any of this? At all?

Your post also seems to suggest that no one would ever announce a cross gen title, then cancel the last gen version because it became too complicated to port... and yet that's happened a fair few times. Dying Light and MKX come immediately to mind.

SURGEdude

Speak for yourself. Still enjoying the game but it very much impacts aiming during combat.

Yeah the game is fucking great but the combat feels a bit muddy compared to the last game. It's not terrible but it's noticeable.

I didn't realize the issue until I saw the DF article and it all made sense why combat just felt a little less fun. It's worth pointing out that this game is far less combat centric though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What is this?? This is completely wrong. The input lag is not even half as bad as this. I can make a video tomorrow to show what it is really like. I just tried it myself about two minutes ago.

Edit: Saw the ticker. Even for 25% speed that still looks like normal speed. Hmm.
Is 25% speed but was recorded at 240fps. That's why it still looks smooth despite being in slow motion.

Kezen

Banned
Didn't that have crazy stuttering for ages?

Ages ? They fixed it really quickly, but I don't recall the game stuttering to any noticeable degree on my PC, no PC port is trouble free on any machine.
I also remember tessellation crashing my game and causing black dots artefacts at launch, I had a 570 at the time.

I have amazing memories of the game and of Nixxes' work though.

LordOfChaos

Probably a bandwith problem.

I'm not sure I buy that. This is so widespread to so many games, that I'd think if devs were bandwidth constrained, more of them would go "lets keep one of the most visually pleasing filters no matter what and tone down something else in turn" if they were so bandwidth starved they were losing AF capabilities.

I know AF demands go up with geometry detail...But jesus, I always took cranking it for granted ever since my X1650Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just got done with the article, excellent work from Nixxess and great summary from dark10x, for a 8~ times lesser piece of hardware the game turned out superb and I would say ultimately its one of the best technologically capable games on the 360 as a whole.

Good thing about the frame rate too. Didn't see any mention of the supposed day 1 patch that added more effects/foliage etc for the 360 version. Was that a factor at all dark10x ? I hope you guys updated the game(s) before doing the comparison.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just got done with the article, excellent work from Nixxess and great summary from dark10x, for a 8~ times lesser piece of hardware the game turned out superb and I would say ultimately its one of the best technologically capable games on the 360 as a whole.

Good thing about the frame rate too. Didn't see any mention of the supposed day 1 patch that added more effects/foliage etc for the 360 version. Was that a factor at all dark10x ? I hope you guys updated the game(s) before doing the comparison.
Since we bought the game digital, we were never able to see the game WITHOUT the day 1 patch. It was definitely factored in but I would have been curious to see it before the patch was applied.

Top Bottom