• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - GeForce RTX Unboxing + Turing Performance Technologies Explained!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Rich sits down quickly to unbox some Nvidia RTX Founder's Edition GPUs and to talk about new enhancements in the Turing architecture, designed to provide even higher performance increases. We put this video together today rather quickly and unscripted - we have a ton of benchmarking and analysis to carry out, so excuse a slight lack of polish!

I'd feel dirty doing this sort of marketing for Nvidia where all you do is repeat their pr material and show the card without actually critiquing or reviewing anything. Unboxings are just pure advertisements.

dirthead

Banned
I'd feel dirty doing this sort of marketing for Nvidia where all you do is repeat their pr material and show the card without actually critiquing or reviewing anything. Unboxings are just pure advertisements.

Well, yeah, thinly veiled ads are 99% of what gaming media companies produce. Look at Digital Foundry's stuff for the Spiderman game. It might as well have said "brought to you by Sony" on it. It's laughable.

We already know this round of cards is going to have disappointing performance. They wouldn't be trying to delay benchmark releases to this close to the release if the numbers were actually good. This card is going to be one of those awkward cards like the first Geforce 3. Remember when that came out, and they were showing off all the tech demos of Doom 3 and impressing everyone with the new lighting techniques made possible with it? And then none of the games like Doom 3 actually shipped until like 3 years later, and by the time they shipped, a Geforce 3 ran those games at like 15-20fps. Same deal with this thing. Complete waste of time. We're 2-3 generations away from hardware that can actually do non trivial ray tracing at performance levels that aren't shit. But they've got to make that money, so it's hype train all the way to sucker early adopters.

I also love how no one is calling Nvidia on their shady underhanded bullshit in regards to ignoring the existence of HDMI 2.1 because it's at odds with their pathetic attempt to sell proprietary G-Sync modules that no one wants. There's a potential huge win for AMD next year regardless of how good their next GPU performs. The bottom line is that they're going to be the only game in town that takes advantage of HDMI 2.1 variable refresh on 2019 model OLED TVs. That's pretty huge for AMD. Personally, I'd be willing to take a significant hit in performance for that. Think about how awesome running emulators will be on an OLED setup like that with every game running at its native refresh rate. I really don't think Nvidia can milk the G-Sync cash cow for too much longer. At some point they have to support HDMI 2.1 or it's going to get embarrassing.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, thinly veiled ads are 99% of what gaming media companies produce. Look at Digital Foundry's stuff for the Spiderman game. It might as well have said "brought to you by Sony" on it. It's laughable.

We already know this round of cards is going to have disappointing performance. They wouldn't be trying to delay benchmark releases to this close to the release if the numbers were actually good. This card is going to be one of those awkward cards like the first Geforce 3. Remember when that came out, and they were showing off all the tech demos of Doom 3 and impressing everyone with the new lighting techniques made possible with it? And then none of the games like Doom 3 actually shipped until like 3 years later, and by the time they shipped, a Geforce 3 ran those games at like 15-20fps. Same deal with this thing. Complete waste of time. We're 2-3 generations away from hardware that can actually do non trivial ray tracing at performance levels that aren't shit. But they've got to make that money, so it's hype train all the way to sucker early adopters.

I also love how no one is calling Nvidia on their shady underhanded bullshit in regards to ignoring the existence of HDMI 2.1 because it's at odds with their pathetic attempt to sell proprietary G-Sync modules that no one wants. There's a potential huge win for AMD next year regardless of how good their next GPU performs. The bottom line is that they're going to be the only game in town that takes advantage of HDMI 2.1 variable refresh on 2019 model OLED TVs. That's pretty huge for AMD. Personally, I'd be willing to take a significant hit in performance for that. Think about how awesome running emulators will be on an OLED setup like that with every game running at its native refresh rate. I really don't think Nvidia can milk the G-Sync cash cow for too much longer. At some point they have to support HDMI 2.1 or it's going to get embarrassing.
Or perhaps they are holding off in the hope that people will buy up the existing surplus of 10 series cards first.

pawel86ck

Banned

I had geforce 3 and I dont agree with you. It was revolutionary card and not dissapointment. By the time doom 3 was released I already had faster GPU so I dont know how doom 3 run on geforce 3 but xbox with geforce 3 had very good port, and many xbox games used shaders to the extreme (riddick, half life 2, crimson skies, all splinter cell games, enclave, project gotham racing 2, ralli sport challenge 2, far cry instincts, conker, fable just to name a few). I remember playing splinter cell, enclave and ralli sport challenge 1 on my geforce 3 I was shocked how good these games looked. Also geforce 3 was much faster in high resolutions compared to geforce 2, sometimes twice as fast.

But back on topic, below official 2080ti results
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/offi...amazing-performance-increase-in-twelve-games/
40-50% more performance, and with DLSS 2080ti should double 1080ti results. Also there are some very important shading features that will speed up games even more and I bet Nv will push developers to include their turing GPU's features in their games.

Edit@ it looks like geforce 3 on PC could also run doom 3

28-60fps in 1024x768, but only with low details.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Look at Digital Foundry's stuff for the Spiderman game. It might as well have said "brought to you by Sony" on it. It's laughable.
That's pretty unfair. What sucks about comments like this is that we don't actually reap any of the benefits you seem to believe. What exactly do you feel was wrong with the game? There's nothing different about that presentation than many other games. You know I generally try to focus on the positive, not the negative. That doesn't mean "paid off" and it's insulting as hell that you'd suggest that.

These videos I make aren't buying advice and they aren't reviews - they are designed to celebrate the amazing work developers are doing on games. I get nothing extra ever for any video produced - they are all produced in the same way. On my own in my home office.

What is it with this attitude that talking positive about something means "paid off"? I don't understand that. What a miserable attitude to carry.

Oh, in this case, we all detest unboxing videos. They are ridiculously dumb but, unfortunately, they do well and are easy to make. :(

Shai-Tan

Banned
There might be a legitimate criticism in there if you for example compare what DF is saying here vs what e.g. Anandtech says about the bet Nvidia made on the silicon but it's harder to get nuance down in a YouTube video. You also have to consider that they have to dance around the NDA. Anyway looking at the benchmarks so far the only justified negativity I've seen is that 2080 vs 1080ti is a bit questionable from a price/performance perspective which is not what this architecture video is about; nor is it about whether ray tracing will end up being another hairworks because it's still too early to know how much and how well developers will take advantage of the ray tracing side of hybrid rendering during this generation of cards. The 2080ti reference benchmarks leaked seem to fit what the video and articles are saying about increased efficiency. That it's obscenely expensive is what they can get away with considering the demand.

Last edited:
People seem to forget they do this for a living not just for your personal enjoyment... smh.

Anyways I’m looking forward to the performance jump, will definitely look out for DF benchmarks next week

dirthead

Banned
That's pretty unfair. What sucks about comments like this is that we don't actually reap any of the benefits you seem to believe. What exactly do you feel was wrong with the game? There's nothing different about that presentation than many other games. You know I generally try to focus on the positive, not the negative. That doesn't mean "paid off" and it's insulting as hell that you'd suggest that.

These videos I make aren't buying advice and they aren't reviews - they are designed to celebrate the amazing work developers are doing on games. I get nothing extra ever for any video produced - they are all produced in the same way. On my own in my home office.

What is it with this attitude that talking positive about something means "paid off"? I don't understand that. What a miserable attitude to carry.

Oh, in this case, we all detest unboxing videos. They are ridiculously dumb but, unfortunately, they do well and are easy to make. :(

It has nothing to do with it being positive. The Spiderman video was clearly an ad. You don't do 30 minute videos going into the technical minutia of random indie games even though there are just as many things to talk about in a lot of them. In fact, looking at the analysis videos, I pretty much only see stuff about software from publishers that advertise on Eurogamer. Gee, I wonder why. It's pretty obvious who pays the bills over there.

dirthead

Banned
I had geforce 3 and it was revolutionary card. By the time doom 3 was released I already had faster GPU so I dont know how doom 3 run on geforce 3 but xbox with geforce 3 had very good port, and many xbox games used shaders to the extreme (riddick, half life 2, crimson skies, all splinter cell games, enclave, project gotham racing 2, ralli sport challenge 2, far cry instincts, conker, fable just to name a few). I remember playing splinter cell, enclave and ralli sport challenge 1 on my geforce 3 I was shocked how good these games looked. Also geforce 3 was much faster in high resolutions compared to geforce 2, sometimes twice as fast.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/offi...amazing-performance-increase-in-twelve-games/
40-50% more performance, and with DLSS 2080ti should double 1080ti results. Also there are some very important shading features that will speed up games even more and I bet Nv will push developers to include their turing GPU's features in their games.

Edit@ it looks like geforce 3 on PC could also run doom 3

28-60fps in 1024x768, but only with low details.

The Xbox didn't use an out of the box Geforce 3. The hardware was unique. In terms of capability, it was a weird beast that sat between a 3 and 4 in terms of features and performance.

SonGoku

They sure are fun to watch for us poor peasants who can't afford the latest and greatest :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The generation leap isn't the issue I have with the RTX series. It's that they basically left everything at the inflated pre-crypto crash pricing.

They haven't shown anything mind-blowing from the raytracing features. I find myself most interested in DLSS, which sounds like a different form of Ubisoft's Temporal Filtering. Anyway, as a scrub who buys cards in the $300-400 range, it's obvious these cards aren't being aimed at me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The generation leap isn't the issue I have with the RTX series. It's that they basically left everything at the inflated pre-crypto crash pricing.

They haven't shown anything mind-blowing from the raytracing features. I find myself most interested in DLSS, which sounds like a different form of Ubisoft's Temporal Filtering. Anyway, as a scrub who buys cards in the $300-400 range, it's obvious these cards aren't being aimed at me.

They saw that they could get away with it.

Just like Apple will with their new $1100 phone model. $1100... for a phone. :messenger_smirking:

longdi

Banned
I am surprised my 1080Ti runs many games at 4K60. Mine is overclocked for another 5-10% more, most of those games will run 4K60.

No reason to upgrade until 7nm RTX, Nvidia will probably give us 16GB vram and double RTX performance if history is to go bye.

They saw that they could get away with it.

Just like Apple will with their new $1100 phone model. $1100... for a phone. :messenger_smirking:
I think its the nature of the current economy, supposedly jobs are tight and pay are increasing, Fed is going to raise rates to combat inflation...for a few i guess :messenger_smirking:

pawel86ck

Banned
The Xbox didn't use an out of the box Geforce 3. The hardware was unique. In terms of capability, it was a weird beast that sat between a 3 and 4 in terms of features and performance.
Yes I know. Xbox GPU unlike geforce 3 has additional vertex shader unit. Xbox GPU nv2a was slightly better when it comes to high poly count stuff, but xbox lacked overall bandwidth for the graphics chip. To put it in persepective, the GF3-Ti200 had just as much bandwidth for just the graphics alone (texturing, geometry, and framebuffer), and this card was already bandwidth limited. Now that 6.4GB/s on xbox was shared with the entire system. Games like RTCW run very good on PC with GF3 card even in high resolutions, but xbox with it's bandwidth limitation could do only 640x480 at 30fps.

Anyway nvidia geforce 3 and xbox nv2a variant were both revolutionary GPU's. GF3 was not Nv failure as you tried to suggest in your first post. GF3 was one of the greatest GPU's in entire Nv history! Performance was amazing, and new shader effects soon revolutionized graphics in games on PC and especially on consoles. If RTX, DLSS will effects will work as advertised, then new "Turing" GPU's from Nv few years from now will be considered as revolutionary as geforce 3 was.

I am surprised my 1080Ti runs many games at 4K60. Mine is overclocked for another 5-10% more, most of those games will run 4K60.

No reason to upgrade until 7nm RTX, Nvidia will probably give us 16GB vram and double RTX performance if history is to go bye.

I think its the nature of the current economy, supposedly jobs are tight and pay are increasing, Fed is going to raise rates to combat inflation...for a few i guess :messenger_smirking:
On 2GHz Asus Strix 2080ti I had dips below 60fps in many demanding games at 4K. Rise of the tomb raider run like 45-50fps maxed out and I had to lower resolution to 1800p or lower settings to high. 1080ti is still great card but 2080ti will offer much better performance at 4K, no doubts about it.
40-50% more peformance plus additional 50% thanks to DLSS will make a very big diffence

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I will just drop some AA settings and keep the 1080Ti. I want to see my vram jump each time i upgrade. The jump from 6GB to 11GB felt sexy.

And the economy may not look as good when the 3080Ti comes, so Nvidia wont have the excuse to charge sky high prices. Native PS5 games will be out then.
All the signs point to hodl! Well if 2080Ti cost $749, i would have buckled or maybe not....11GB is yucks!

dark10x

It has nothing to do with it being positive. The Spiderman video was clearly an ad. You don't do 30 minute videos going into the technical minutia of random indie games even though there are just as many things to talk about in a lot of them. In fact, looking at the analysis videos, I pretty much only see stuff about software from publishers that advertise on Eurogamer. Gee, I wonder why. It's pretty obvious who pays the bills over there.
That's really hurtful, honestly, and completely false. :(

Here's the reality, though. It's not an ad - instead, it's a video that helps support our channel. It's really pretty simple - Spider-Man received a big 30 minute video because it is a popular game. That is it. That's the secret. It is a game that will perform well on YouTube. Did you see how many views it did? Those types of games are hugely important to keeping a channel going. Also, I happen to *REALLY* like the game. It's absolutely fantastic and gorgeous to boot. So when you combine its view potential with the fact that I love the game, well, why NOT pour that time in?

...but you know what? If I had my way, I'd love to cover more indie games or unique things but the reality is that PEOPLE DO NOT CARE. Those types of videos end up doing basically no traffic. I wish we could help signal boost those games but it's not realistic when we're also trying to get by and not burn out. I can only realistically produce 1-2 videos per week - we have to pick strategically to survive.

Case in point - I poured an insane amount of time into a documentary on the game OnRush this year. This isn't an indie game but it's not a huge budget game. I love the heck out of OnRush and worked my butt off to secure an opportunity to visit that studio and really shine a light on how they did it. The result? It's the least watched video I've ever made despite having an insane amount of effort poured into it. The tech in this game is absolutely incredible but nobody cares. Did you watch it?

So how do I pick projects? It's all about finding games I really care about that are also likely to find an audience. It's a balance. If you pick the wrong topics, it WILL hurt you. NOBODY picks my topics either, by the way. There is no overlord saying 'you must do this'. I choose my topics. I make the videos 100% on my own from home.

So, really, I'm trying to do things that people will enjoy AND actually watch. After pouring all that effort in, though, it really sucks to see people throw around accusations like that. I don't know how much more honest I can be about this but that's the reality.

Last edited:
And the economy may not look as good when the 3080Ti comes, so Nvidia wont have the excuse to charge sky high prices. Native PS5 games will be out then.

Yeah, sure. xD

No point in deciding if the upgrade is worth or not without real-world tests and benchmarks (price aside, of course).

Price is what top-tier nvidia's cards have been for quite some times.

I'm on a Titan X pascal, so same boat as many others; it already is a 2+ years old gpu and it still manages to destroy everything. Still, it's 2+ years. An upgrade wouldn't be that outrageous, even with this pricing.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Here's the reality, though. It's not an ad - instead, it's a video that helps support our channel. It's really pretty simple - Spider-Man received a big 30 minute video because it is a popular game. That is it. That's the secret. It is a game that will perform well on YouTube. Did you see how many views it did? Those types of games are hugely important to keeping a channel going. Also, I happen to *REALLY* like the game. It's absolutely fantastic and gorgeous to boot. So when you combine its view potential with the fact that I love the game, well, why NOT pour that time in?

...but you know what? If I had my way, I'd love to cover more indie games or unique things but the reality is that PEOPLE DO NOT CARE. Those types of videos end up doing basically no traffic. I wish we could help signal boost those games but it's not realistic when we're also trying to get by and not burn out. I can only realistically produce 1-2 videos per week - we have to pick strategically to survive.

Case in point - I poured an insane amount of time into a documentary on the game OnRush this year. This isn't an indie game but it's not a huge budget game. I love the heck out of OnRush and worked my butt off to secure an opportunity to visit that studio and really shine a light on how they did it. The result? It's the least watched video I've ever made despite having an insane amount of effort poured into it. The tech in this game is absolutely incredible but nobody cares. Did you watch it?

So how do I pick projects? It's all about finding games I really care about that are also likely to find an audience. It's a balance. If you pick the wrong topics, it WILL hurt you. NOBODY picks my topics either, by the way. There is no overlord saying 'you must do this'. I choose my topics. I make the videos 100% on my own from home.

So, really, I'm trying to do things that people will enjoy AND actually watch. After pouring all that effort in, though, it really sucks to see people throw around accusations like that. I don't know how much more honest I can be about this but that's the reality.

I appreciate all your effort that you put in. The retro one's are some of my favorites, and look forward to more in the future when you get to them. Also, thanks for shedding some insight into this discussion as well, it does not go unnoticed.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Oh come on guys..

Anyway, here's a video showing a couple of the features that DF talked about (bad video and sound quality):

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The Geforce 3 was a fantastic card. I remember it being my first card that I saved up a lot of money to buy.

Having said that, If these cards are only slightly faster than the 10 series then that does create an opportunity for AMD to make a rastuerization focused card in which they can implement ray tracing on down the road.

lukilladog

This must be the most ridiculous and shady launch in history of video cards, and it is lame that the media is getting handled like this.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This must be the most ridiculous and shady launch in history of video cards, and it is lame that the media is getting handled like this.

This sounds very serious, and it's making me very very concerned. I'm sorry to be an ignoramus left in the dark on this and I can't seem to find anything in your post that backs up your claims with tangible facts. So would you kindly bring me up to speed on what's going on?

dirthead

Banned

By only covering stuff that's already popular because it's guaranteed interest, you are advertising for them whether you admit it or not. Oh, everyone else is doing it, let's jump on the bandwagon. That's exactly what someone like Sony wants game journalists to do. They saturate media with ads until something's on everyone's mind, and it snowballs until it's an unstoppable force that everyone's forced to cover to stay relevant.

Videos that don't exist get no traffic? You don't say. You can talk around it all you want, but you're part of the problem. You've basically thrown up your hands and given up, and you're perpetuating the cycle. Only popular stuff with huge marketing budgets like Spiderman is popular, and we're only going to cover popular stuff because unpopular stuff isn't popular (nice tautology there), so it remains the most popular stuff, so it's the only stuff we can cover.

Yes.

As a journalist, it isn't your job to strengthen Sony's marketing campaign by jumping on the bandwagon. It's your job to clue people into NON OBVIOUS news and issues that gamers might not know about. Everyone already knew about Spiderman's tech. 50 other shill sites were covering it for Sony. I expect more for Eurogamer. I want non-obvious news. I want stuff that hasn't saturated the internet for months already. You don't seem to be doing that anymore. You're just riding the gravy train. And honestly, I can't pretend to care whether or not Eurogamer makes money or stays in business. If you can't stay in business doing something I'm interested in, I'm not obligated to care one way or another whether you stick around.

Where's the Digital Foundry video about this?

Some 'people' really aren't worth acknowledging. Just use the ignore function.

dirthead

Banned
This sounds very serious, and it's making me very very concerned. I'm sorry to be an ignoramus left in the dark on this and I can't seem to find anything in your post that backs up your claims with tangible facts. So would you kindly bring me up to speed on what's going on?

Nvidia told the media that they can't say crap about the performance of the new cards without getting blackballed, and they quietly took off their clothes, inserted their ball gags, and bent over.

Last edited:

dark10x

The Geforce 3 was a fantastic card. I remember it being my first card that I saved up a lot of money to buy.

Having said that, If these cards are only slightly faster than the 10 series then that does create an opportunity for AMD to make a rastuerization focused card in which they can implement ray tracing on down the road.
I think now is the perfect opportunity to implement something like ray tracing, honestly. If AMD were competitive in the GPU space at the moment, I think we'd see a different focus. Honestly, though, we've reached the point where 4K60 is mostly trivial for high-end cards already - it's a good time to introduce something new.
By only covering stuff that's already popular because it's guaranteed interest, you are advertising for them whether you admit it or not. Oh, everyone else is doing it, let's jump on the bandwagon. That's exactly what someone like Sony wants game journalists to do. They saturate media with ads until something's on everyone's mind, and it snowballs until it's an unstoppable force that everyone's forced to cover to stay relevant.

Videos that don't exist get no traffic? You don't say. You can talk around it all you want, but you're part of the problem. You've basically thrown up your hands and given up, and you're perpetuating the cycle. Only popular stuff with huge marketing budgets like Spiderman is popular, and we're only going to cover popular stuff because unpopular stuff isn't popular (nice tautology there), so it remains the most popular stuff, so it's the only stuff we can cover.

Yes.

As a journalist, it isn't your job to strengthen Sony's marketing campaign by jumping on the bandwagon. It's your job to clue people into NON OBVIOUS news and issues that gamers might not know about. Everyone already knew about Spiderman's tech. 50 other shill sites were covering it for Sony. I expect more for Eurogamer. I want non-obvious news. I want stuff that hasn't saturated the internet for months already. You don't seem to be doing that anymore. You're just riding the gravy train. And honestly, I can't pretend to care whether or not Eurogamer makes money or stays in business. If you can't stay in business doing something I'm interested in, I'm not obligated to care one way or another whether you stick around.

You’re a jerk first and foremost.

Yes.

Jesus christ, I don’t even know what to say. I’m doing the best I possibly can within my limited resources. Trying to survive. I’m sorry you don’t like it but I’m at my limit. There’s no reason to treat someone like you’re doing right now, honestly. Are you that callous? Why the fuck do I even bother.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Also I love how we basically got Eurogamer to admit that they're not journalists. They do stuff because it's "popular."

Awesome journalistic integrity there.

Edit: Oh and they fling personal insults on the internet, too. Eurogamer's really professional.

Last edited:

dark10x

Also I love how we basically got Eurogamer to admit that they're not journalists. They do stuff because it's "popular."

Awesome journalistic integrity there.

Edit: Oh and they fling personal insults on the internet, too. Eurogamer's really professional.
What do you think you’re doing? I’m not even a journalist, honestly. I’m a programmer by trade that’s covering games now. You’re shitting all over my work for no reason. I’m depressed as hell already and trying to be honest.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
What do you think you’re doing? I’m not even a journalist, honestly. I’m a programmer by trade that’s covering games now. You’re shitting all over my work for no reason. I’m depressed as hell already and trying to be honest.

I'm pointing out that the Digital Foundry Spiderman video is an advertisement, because it is. You prattled on for 30 minutes gushing about every technical detail of the game. There was no criticism, no fact reporting, even. You actually used positive adjectives constantly to describe the tech you were talking about. You inserted positive opinions such as the developer being a great choice for the game. It wasn't even attempting to be an impartial look at the tech. It's an ad.

Sony couldn't have made a better advertisement for the tech in house. That isn't journalism.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm pointing out that the Digital Foundry Spiderman video is an advertisement, because it is. You prattled on for 30 minutes gushing about every technical detail of the game. There was no criticism, no fact reporting, even. You actually used positive adjectives constantly to describe the tech you were talking about. You inserted positive opinions such as the developer being a great choice for the game. It wasn't even attempting to be an impartial look at the tech. It's an ad.

Sony couldn't have made a better advertisement for the tech in house. That isn't journalism.

93b3d506536497149018fd6deb4e67ba.jpg

octiny

Banned

Fuck him.

You're doing a fine job. Keep on chugging along. I don't always agree with some of DF's content, but you guys do a great job covering both sides of the spectrum.

Nevertheless, it really sucks to see you getting attacked almost every time you post on GAF.

THE:MILKMAN

Damn this thread turned dark.

John, seriously, speak to family or friends. Don't engage with someone mad on the internet.

Dirthead........come now. Have a bit of empathy and use a bit of common sense.

Think I'll turn in for the night....

dirthead

Banned
Fuck him.

You're doing a fine job. Keep on chugging along. I don't always agree with some of DF's content, but you guys do a great job covering both sides of the spectrum.

Nevertheless, it really sucks to see you getting attacked almost every time you post on GAF.

No one's attacking him. I don't know him. We're talking about content posted to the internet--not individuals.

dark10x

Have you watched any of the Retro videos?

I'm honestly doing the best I can with a wide variety of content. I've been feeling like shit this whole year anyways. I shouldn't let it, but honestly, your comments really make it worse. So you win. I wish I could deliver what you want but clearly not.

John, seriously, speak to family or friends. Don't engage with someone mad on the internet.
I've been trying but it comes and goes. I worked for three weeks straight with no weekends trying to keep up (which is why I can't help but take it personally). I really never intended that Spider-Man video to be an ad - I just really like the game and its tech but now I see that it was all worthless shit. I don't even know what I'm doing these days.

I think I've done good stuff, though, with the Retro video. At least, I thought it was pretty good. I wish I could do that full time, honestly.

Last edited:
No one's attacking him. I don't know him. We're talking about content posted to the internet--not individuals.
From one of your posts.

You prattled on for 30 minutes gushing about every technical detail of the game. There was no criticism, no fact reporting, even. You actually used positive adjectives constantly to describe the tech you were talking about. You inserted positive opinions such as the developer being a great choice for the game

Have a word with yourself.

dirthead

Banned
Have you watched any of the Retro videos?

I'm honestly doing the best I can with a wide variety of content. I've been feeling like shit this whole year anyways. I shouldn't let it, but honestly, your comments really make it worse. So you win. I wish I could deliver what you want but clearly not.

I really like your retro videos. I won't be obtuse enough to say "don't take it personally" because we're all human, but this is an industry wide problem, and as someone who plays video games, I'm sick of seeing almost nothing besides what amounts to coverage of Taylor Swift and advertisements.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My goodness you're not too self-aware are you? You just straight-up accused him for doing an advertising piece, attacked his "journalism Integrity" when he's not even a journalist, claims he didn't report any facts; when he does this in his spare time because he's passionate about it.

Derailed the entire thread crying because it seems like your feelings are hurt from his work.

You're projecting mate.

Last edited:

dark10x

I really like your retro videos. I won't be obtuse enough to say "don't take it personally" because we're all human, but this is an industry wide problem, and as someone who plays video games, I'm sick of seeing almost nothing besides what amounts to coverage of Taylor Swift and advertisements.
That's what I want to do full-time but it's not possible.

I'm in a tail spin right now in terms of what to cover. The failure of that OnRush video really destroyed my spirit, honestly. I put so much into that and it failed so hard.

Pretty dumb to get worked up over internet threads but when your livelihood depends on it, it's difficult not to. :\

Last edited:

SonGoku

I've been trying but it comes and goes. I worked for three weeks straight with no weekends trying to keep up (which is why I can't help but take it personally).
Are you getting enough sleep? i tend to feel exactly this way when i overwork at school and sleep 5hs on average
Also your Spider-Man video was not worthless, i very much enjoy tech description videos of games im interested in, it doesn't matter if its been covered before, DF and your videos in particular have their own unique style that i look forward to

THE:MILKMAN

I've been trying but it comes and goes. I worked for three weeks straight with no weekends trying to keep up (which is why I can't help but take it personally). I really never intended that Spider-Man video to be an ad - I just really like the game and its tech but now I see that it was all worthless shit. I don't even know what I'm doing these days.

I think I've done good stuff, though, with the Retro video. At least, I thought it was pretty good. I wish I could do that full time, honestly.

Sounds like you need a good holiday and sleep, mate. Get some rest and come back refreshed. Your retro videos are great as someone in their 40's......

It is pretty sad to see that your OnRush video didn't do well along with the game itself. I'm still not sure what happened with the game. I remember the initial previews of the game and the next I heard/read about the game it had been out a few weeks and sold a tiny amount.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
D dark10x , you do great work on the digital foundry vids and you've always had a keen eye and gift for attention to detail on the tech side. The current clickbait garbage content movement can be actively discouraging to anyone putting real effort into their work, but don't give up. You'll always have an audience of bearded nerds here, and if things aren't monetizing in the ways they need to, there's always patreon and alternative options like that to connect with your audience and carve out a living.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
D dark10x , you do great work on the digital foundry vids and you've always had a keen eye and gift for attention to detail on the tech side. The current clickbait garbage content movement can be actively discouraging to anyone putting real effort into their work, but don't give up. You'll always have an audience of bearded nerds here, and if things aren't monetizing in the ways they need to, there's always patreon and alternative options like that to connect with your audience and carve out a living.

I agree with this post. Sorry for my edgy post earlier in this thread. But this recent video made me lose a lot of respect for his channel.
i really hope better stuff will come in the future instead of cheap scores. Cause i believe his channel is better then that.
Let me tell you my age maybe it helps. (30+)
I have so so much respect for your retro stuff and every time i see it in my feed i be sure to share it with as much people as possible.please make more D dark10x

Last edited:
Very exited for DLSS, seems DLSSx2 is capable of near 64xSS image quality according to some. DLSS offers speed and DLSSx2 offers practically perfect iq.
There’s also a DLSS 2X mode which is entirely focused on high-quality rather than performance. DLSS 2x provides ‘almost indistinguishable’ quality to a 64x supersampled image, which would be impossible to render in real time for obvious reasons.-wccftech

The ground truth used to train for DLSS is 64xSS according to wccftech's article

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think now is the perfect opportunity to implement something like ray tracing, honestly. If AMD were competitive in the GPU space at the moment, I think we'd see a different focus. Honestly, though, we've reached the point where 4K60 is mostly trivial for high-end cards already - it's a good time to introduce something new.

I like your work, but I dont think you know what trivial means. 4K/60 fps is not anywhere remotely close to trivial. Trivial would be when you can regularly get those kinds of framerates on midrange cards like the 1060 or 570. 1080p/60 fps is definitely in the trivial category.
Right now the 1080 Ti can hit close to that in some games, but it's still a struggle

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Spider man analysis video was extremely detailed and from my perspective DF impressions were clearly honest and not biased like dirthead suggested. Unfortunately it looks like some people have problems in their lives. No matter how good work someone will do there will be always minority of people who will just want to complain for no reason and behave like a jerk just to make their day better.

But back on topic, these official 2080ti results looks solid but I still wonder how DLSS will work exactly. It cant be just AA replacement, because Nv slides suggest 2x performance increase, and TAA in not nearly as demanding. Maybe DLSS render lower resolution, and use it's magic to create the final picture, because only something like that can explain so huge performance boost with DLSS. I just hope DLSS will look close to native 4K picture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom