• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - GeForce RTX Unboxing + Turing Performance Technologies Explained!

Woffls

That was a well deserved ban; civility is not difficult.

D dark10x you guys are doing great work over there. I mostly watch the videos to try and learn how to identify the differences that graphical settings make on-screen, and I still can't bloody do it xD I also just like seeing pretty things on my OLED, which is partly why I just subbed on Patreon.

Regarding the internal conflict of deciding what content to make... it really says more about YouTube as a platform and how people consume media that something as trite as unboxing a video card does good numbers. If it helps at all, I don't imagine people are engaging with that content on a meaningful level - it's just hype material with little value. If I watch an unboxing, I am 99% focussed on something else.

I think seeing "documentary" in a video is going to deter a lot of people. I'd be willing to bet that people jumped ship with the OnRush video when they realised that it was a relatively long video and might warrant some attention. "Documentary" makes me think of watching Sky in the 90s as a kid - is TV still a thing? It's something for which I need to set aside some time, rather than just watch and later realise that a chunk of time flew by.

I would be inclined to take particular aspects of the video, like the weather systems and terrain, and compare them directly to DriveClub as a stand-alone video. I get that it fits more naturally into the story about the engine that was being made, but just that headline with exciting words like "weather" and "DriveClub" would do quite a lot to improve engagement. A game engine is just so broad and it's difficult to make a narrative out of that which can be "sold", as it were, to the YouTube audience. All that said, I am nothing but a consumer.

Spider man analysis video was extremely detailed and from my perspective DF impressions were clearly honest and not biased like dirthead suggested. Unfortunately it looks like some people have problems in their lives. No matter how good work someone will do there will be always minority of people who will just want to complain for no reason and behave like a jerk just to make their day better.

But back on topic, these official 2080ti results looks solid but I still wonder how DLSS will work exactly. It cant be just AA replacement, because Nv slides suggest 2x performance increase, and TAA in not nearly as demanding. Maybe DLSS render lower resolution, and use it's magic to create the final picture, because only something like that can explain so huge performance boost with DLSS. I just hope DLSS will look close to native 4K picture.

NVIDIA DLSS is the specific DNN model devised to solve the inherent issues, like blurring and transparency, with TAA (Temporal AntiAliasing). Here, NVIDIA leveraged the demonstrated image processing capabilities of a deep learning network. DLSS can deliver either much higher quality than TAA at a certain set of input samples, or much faster performance at a lower input sample count, all while inferring a visual result that’s of similar quality to TAA while using basically half the shading work... For example, at 4K resolution, DLSS provided two times faster performance than TAA in Epic’s Unreal Engine 4 Infiltrator demo.
wccftech source

Massive performance gains, 2080 with DLSS practically matching 2080 ti when not using DLSS in some titles.

Nvidia paper describing Turing link

Last edited:

Reallink

That's what I want to do full-time but it's not possible.

I'm in a tail spin right now in terms of what to cover. The failure of that OnRush video really destroyed my spirit, honestly. I put so much into that and it failed so hard.

Pretty dumb to get worked up over internet threads but when your livelihood depends on it, it's difficult not to. :\

Dark not sure which of you guys focus on the PC benches, but like your RAM speed test a while back, there is another always ignored controversy in the PC space and that is Hyperthreading. Many are convinced turning it off improves performance in games , as well as dramatically reducing temps and increasing overclocks. I think that would be an interesting experiment for you guys to run. Your videos are great.

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dark not sure which of you guys focus on the PC benches, but like your RAM speed test a while back, there is another always ignored controversy in the PC space and that is Hyperthreading. Many are convinced turning it off improves performance in games , as well as dramatically reducing temps and increasing overclocks. I think that would be an interesting experiment for you guys to run. Your videos are great.
Hypethreading (or Simultaneous Multi-Threading -- SMT, by everybody else's nomenclature) indeed can and does affect single-threading performance -- depending on the uarch and particular workloads, from a tad to more than a tad. SMT is a mechanism intended to improve throughput, and thus by design does not help latency scenarios (which is what normally single-threaded max performance is about).

octiny

Banned
reducing temps and increasing overclocks. I think that would be an interesting experiment for you guys to run. Your videos are great.

No tests really need to be done in regards to *proving* that it reduces the cpu package temp under load (along with being able to use less voltage) and giving slightly more headroom on overclocks with HT off. This is pretty common factual knowledge among the overclocking community, myself included. I usually do it just for fun, just to see what the chip is capable of.

There were a few games that performed slightly better awhile back, Crysis 3 being one with HT off, but that was the exception and is a rarity with newer games since most are geared towards multi-core. HT gives a nice boost now-a-days. SMT is coming along nicely as well albeit via patches sometimes.

pawel86ck

Banned
No tests really need to be done in regards to *proving* that it reduces the cpu package temp under load (along with being able to use less voltage) and giving slightly more headroom on overclocks with HT off. This is pretty common factual knowledge among the overclocking community, myself included. I usually do it just for fun, just to see what the chip is capable of.

There were a few games that performed slightly better awhile back, Crysis 3 being one with HT off, but that was the exception and is a rarity with newer games since most are geared towards multi-core. HT gives a nice boost now-a-days. SMT is coming along nicely as well albeit via patches sometimes.
Crysis 3 run much better with HT on but only in 2'nd level where you could see that big open field of green grass. Without HT 45fps, with HT on 60+fps.

octiny

Banned
Crysis 3 run much better with HT on but only in 2'nd level where you could see that big open field of green grass. Without HT 45fps, with HT on 60+fps.

Correct. I wasn't trying to get into details, just pointing out an example.

A lot of this info is readily available on overclock.net

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The generation leap isn't the issue I have with the RTX series. It's that they basically left everything at the inflated pre-crypto crash pricing.

They haven't shown anything mind-blowing from the raytracing features. I find myself most interested in DLSS, which sounds like a different form of Ubisoft's Temporal Filtering. Anyway, as a scrub who buys cards in the $300-400 range, it's obvious these cards aren't being aimed at me.
Nvidia uploaded the full Atomic Heart RTX demo 2 days ago, showing the interesting Hall of Mirrors effect which you get when you use proper reflection. That demo singlehandely shows perfectly what kind of new gameplay can be achieved with proper reflections. Sadly Atomic Heart atleast isnt out till end of 2019.

...but you know what? If I had my way, I'd love to cover more indie games or unique things but the reality is that PEOPLE DO NOT CARE. Those types of videos end up doing basically no traffic. I wish we could help signal boost those games but it's not realistic when we're also trying to get by and not burn out. I can only realistically produce 1-2 videos per week - we have to pick strategically to survive.

Case in point - I poured an insane amount of time into a documentary on the game OnRush this year. This isn't an indie game but it's not a huge budget game. I love the heck out of OnRush and worked my butt off to secure an opportunity to visit that studio and really shine a light on how they did it. The result? It's the least watched video I've ever made despite having an insane amount of effort poured into it. The tech in this game is absolutely incredible but nobody cares. Did you watch it?
Hey John,

Consider the bolded atleast not true for myself. Heck, i just started the series Indie Watch here at GAF - https://www.neogaf.com/search/141210 - An ongoing series to cover some of the more obscure stuff in our industry and from every platform imaginable.

You know John, the whole reason i watch DF Retro pretty much religiously is exactly because of the bolded. I have found that your taste for the obscure and the unique is nigh spot on with mines. Its also why i can understand the pressures you are dealing with - Doing all of the stuff in house, i fucking know you put your heart into these things. I see your heart work and you want that to be paid off.

Little am i going to lie to you that along with Alex, you are one of the favorites in this industry for me. Because you actively make the content i would want to make, about those damn obscure things nobody else would enjoy. And on top of that, you are approachable. If there is one thing i want to have done on my bucket list is to meet and chat with the DF guys one day, with a few beers and some foods to go along with it.

That is the kind of ambiance you and all the other DF members push in each and every video. That you aren't some high and might bobo's knowing tech things, but approachable people like everybody else. It is, in my humble opinion, what sets DF apart, even when there are other channels that can zoom in on specific details a little better regarding certain games.

To that end, i didnt watch Onrush, but although i do am fond of racing games, simply didnt had the time for it. I shall watch it in your honour tonight. Do note that i pretty much watch every single thing DF pushes out - Including your DF Retro series. But you know that already :)

Oh come on guys..

Anyway, here's a video showing a couple of the features that DF talked about (bad video and sound quality):

I made this thread earlier containing most of the demo's and features regarding RTX. Give it a whirl. :) - https://www.neogaf.com/threads/digi...y-tracing-the-next-level-in-graphics.1465000/

Also I love how we basically got Eurogamer to admit that they're not journalists. They do stuff because it's "popular."

Awesome journalistic integrity there.

Edit: Oh and they fling personal insults on the internet, too. Eurogamer's really professional.
One to talk about journalistic integrity. If John's lacking that, then you certainly don't have it.

Can you just stop with that negative trite in every damn thread you are in? I get it, you have ''fixed bugs in MAME, added new features to it, made some games, written some emulation utilities, and bought hundreds of games supporting the industry.'' And yet at the same time you clearly don't know jack about the current industry you consistently shit over, as is evidenced by the simple fact you never bother to back up what you claim.

Like, you aren't even here to actually discuss things and you just ignore everyone who bests your discussion points (And you seemingly can't come up with any reasonable counter point whatsoever), all you do is just be negative over the gaming industry and people not getting it. Its boring. Its what you get when as a developer you think your opinion is always superior over others, therefore one does not need to listen to these lesser souls.

I am not one to get feisty but oh my days man.

What do you think you’re doing? I’m not even a journalist, honestly. I’m a programmer by trade that’s covering games now. You’re shitting all over my work for no reason. I’m depressed as hell already and trying to be honest.
Knowing you have talked about this before John, it pains me to hear that you take this stuff so personally. I remember you have said this once before - Negativity always comes in much stronger than positivity. It sucks that it eats at you and i really wish i could help you out man.

That's what I want to do full-time but it's not possible.

I'm in a tail spin right now in terms of what to cover. The failure of that OnRush video really destroyed my spirit, honestly. I put so much into that and it failed so hard.

Pretty dumb to get worked up over internet threads but when your livelihood depends on it, it's difficult not to. :\
If you need a few ideas, PM me. There is a lot of stuff you can cover :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Always appreciated Redneckerz (and everyone else). I know you're well aware that it hasn't been a great year for me. It's been a tad better this summer for sure but it goes up and down. Last year I was really trying to learn how to improve production values and found that really rewarding but I've hit a wall in the sense that a lot of the stuff I've now learned is very time consuming to pull off on my own thus I can't really use it. I have to produce too much content, too quickly so most videos feel unrewarding since I don't really get to try new tricks or improve. I have a couple projects that involved lots of filming and travel on my back-burner right now that I've been dying to finish but they'll take more than a week of solid work to complete and I don't have that right now. Trying to find the time!

Let me know what you think of that OnRush video. I tried to make something that was like a professional behind the scenes style video just to see if I could do it entirely on my own. One thing I've learned is that it would be great to have at least one other person on hand when doing a film shoot at a studio. Managing all the equipment and posing questions is tricky without that.

Regarding the internal conflict of deciding what content to make... it really says more about YouTube as a platform and how people consume media that something as trite as unboxing a video card does good numbers. If it helps at all, I don't imagine people are engaging with that content on a meaningful level - it's just hype material with little value. If I watch an unboxing, I am 99% focussed on something else.
Yeah, YouTube is a tough master. There have been a lot of articles and videos on YouTube burn out and it's happening to me as well. If you don't follow the algorithms, it's tough. Also have to worry about finding topics that are interesting but also grab the interest of the most people. It's a very difficult balance.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Always appreciated Redneckerz (and everyone else). I know you're well aware that it hasn't been a great year for me. It's been a tad better this summer for sure but it goes up and down. Last year I was really trying to learn how to improve production values and found that really rewarding but I've hit a wall in the sense that a lot of the stuff I've now learned is very time consuming to pull off on my own thus I can't really use it. I have to produce too much content, too quickly so most videos feel unrewarding since I don't really get to try new tricks or improve. I have a couple projects that involved lots of filming and travel on my back-burner right now that I've been dying to finish but they'll take more than a week of solid work to complete and I don't have that right now. Trying to find the time!
This is more private message than anything else but i understand where you are coming from. Please remind yourself that you do these things partially out of fun and you don't have to oversaturate yourself just to cater to a crowd. Your health, mentally and physically should always be your first priority. DF isn't going to die with slightly reduced activity, and i think it should actually in expectations aswell. DF episodes from your side might become more like things to look after, if you get what i am saying.

In either case John, I appreciate that you want to handle multiple balls in the air, but take care of yourself. :messenger_smiling: Eventually, this will sipp through your own content, which will then increase in quality.

Let me know what you think of that OnRush video. I tried to make something that was like a professional behind the scenes style video just to see if I could do it entirely on my own. One thing I've learned is that it would be great to have at least one other person on hand when doing a film shoot at a studio. Managing all the equipment and posing questions is tricky without that.
Ill be going to watch it right now and ill send you a PM when done regarding all this. Doesnt really help that you guys also just uploaded a 1 hour throwback to 2005 X360 though! ;)

Oh, one more thing, just because i noticed it a long time ago - Can you ask around the EG staff if they can fix this title from Far Cry Classic Edition to FC3? - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...r-cry-classic-is-a-barebones-pc-port#comments - If you can't (Don't want to stress you even more!), ill happily ask them on the EG Discord.

Watch your PM John and enjoy the day!

dirthead

Banned
Like, you aren't even here to actually discuss things and you just ignore everyone who bests your discussion points (And you seemingly can't come up with any reasonable counter point whatsoever), all you do is just be negative over the gaming industry and people not getting it. Its boring. Its what you get when as a developer you think your opinion is always superior over others, therefore one does not need to listen to these lesser souls.

No one here has "bested" me at anything. Saying something doesn't make it so. You're the one who doesn't seem to be able to make coherent arguments. You're boring.

See, I can just spew nonsense that means nothing, too.

dirthead

Banned
My goodness you're not too self-aware are you? You just straight-up accused him for doing an advertising piece, attacked his "journalism Integrity" when he's not even a journalist, claims he didn't report any facts; when he does this in his spare time because he's passionate about it.

Derailed the entire thread crying because it seems like your feelings are hurt from his work.

You're projecting mate.

Painfully self aware. I spoke about his work--not him personally. I was personally attacked, on the other hand.

dirthead

Banned
That was a well deserved ban; civility is not difficult.

Completely undeserved and absurd ban and only happened because the industry person posts here.

If someone from Naughty Dog posted here you'd probably get banned for saying Uncharted 4 sucks. It's pretty vile, actually.

Shai-Tan

Banned
alternative explanation: there are basic conversational virtues e.g. the civility mentioned above which is not a lofty standard - it's a minimal floor on behavior that prevent forums and other conversational spaces going to shit by people poisoning the well with invective and relentless negativity. not to be confused with a plea for politeness as a kind of deference but being open minded enough to make it an actual conversation using principles like charity in interpretation and epistemic humility i.e. maybe, just maybe there is a divergence between the inferences you are making about other people, what they were intending and the interpretation of other members of the audience

Akuza89

I prefer to watch linus tech tips on YouTube he has them and explains his view...
he does like them..

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
alternative explanation: there are basic conversational virtues e.g. the civility mentioned above which is not a lofty standard - it's a minimal floor on behavior that prevent forums and other conversational spaces going to shit by people poisoning the well with invective and relentless negativity. not to be confused with a plea for politeness as a kind of deference but being open minded enough to make it an actual conversation using principles like charity in interpretation and epistemic humility i.e. maybe, just maybe there is a divergence between the inferences you are making about other people, what they were intending and the interpretation of other members of the audience

And I suppose calling someone a jerk lives up to those standards?

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
This thread isn’t about your squabbles with each other...and it’s essentially become largely just about that.

Also, please don’t post multiple times in a row within minutes of each other, just edit the initial reply.

Please, and thank you.

plushyp

D dirthead To expand on what Keylime said in the second line... you can quote multiple posts at the same time, insert them and then reply individually to each in a single post.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
You could swear that Digital Foundry is doing PR for Nvidia. Was very painful to watch. but that's my opinion. I could also wrong

Last edited:

Redneckerz

No one here has "bested" me at anything. Saying something doesn't make it so. You're the one who doesn't seem to be able to make coherent arguments. You're boring.

See, I can just spew nonsense that means nothing, too.
It might be worthwhile to read the context in which the dispensed criticism was said, so you then would know why the general sentiment against your character is met as negative.

That would give way to a more thought-out response than the equivalent of a ''no u''.

Pretty much. We can't expect that everybody on this site plays nice all the time, myself included, but one sure can attempt to do so. Hopefully going forward this will change for the better.

You could swear that Digital Foundry is doing PR for Nvidia. Was very painful to watch. but that's my opinion. I could also wrong
Or perhaps they are just excited about the new hardware - rightly so - and Richard in particular has made numerous mentions on how he is not too fond of unboxing videos, but that they are easy to do and people enjoy these.

You could also question it the other way around though and that they do PR for AMD given how they covered the Subor Z-Plus with all its AMD made components. If anything, the fact that they are equally excited about different products from different companies tells me that they aren't really doing PR at all, but that they are just excited.

But hey you could have just asked D dark10x and see if he can fill you in whether or not they do PR or not - Based on past histories, i am going to take an educated guess and say that they don't.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Yes the price is too damn high, but am I the only one who’s still excited as hell for Turing?

I don’t get the attitude that “any transistor not devoted to boosting performance of already released games is wasted.”

- 2080 Ti is powerful enough to run pretty much all existing games at 4K 60FPS at max settings

- performance with DLSS is amazing. This will be probably the only way to hit 4K at >60FPS for the next year or two

- it does freaking real-time raytracing. That has been the holy grail of graphics for over a decade now. So what if 4K 60 FPS might not be possible with most games that use it? It looks amazing even if we have to lower the resolution. Imagine going back to 2005 and telling yourself “we finally got RT raytracing in 2018 but we all poopoo-ed it because we could ONLY run it at 1920x1080 60 FPS.” Come on, that is pretty damn cool

- bottom line, 2080 Ti will likely be THE enthusiast tier GPU well into 2020 (with AMD Vega 7nm being HPC only and Navi being a mid-range part, AMD probably won’t have a real answer to 2080 Ti until Arcturus in 2020)

So yeah again the price is insane but I am super excited for this thing, and I really enjoyed DF’s coverage.

dirthead

Banned
It might be worthwhile to read the context in which the dispensed criticism was said, so you then would know why the general sentiment against your character is met as negative.

That would give way to a more thought-out response than the equivalent of a ''no u''.

Pretty much. We can't expect that everybody on this site plays nice all the time, myself included, but one sure can attempt to do so. Hopefully going forward this will change for the better.

Or perhaps they are just excited about the new hardware - rightly so - and Richard in particular has made numerous mentions on how he is not too fond of unboxing videos, but that they are easy to do and people enjoy these.

You could also question it the other way around though and that they do PR for AMD given how they covered the Subor Z-Plus with all its AMD made components. If anything, the fact that they are equally excited about different products from different companies tells me that they aren't really doing PR at all, but that they are just excited.

But hey you could have just asked D dark10x and see if he can fill you in whether or not they do PR or not - Based on past histories, i am going to take an educated guess and say that they don't.

As usual, you spout nonsense and pretend that it's fact. The majority of my comments on this forum get likes. There is no "general sentiment" of negativity about it. It's just another line of bullshit that you wrote that has no basis in reality.

Life's too short to read the rest of your comment. Welcome to the ignore list. Have a nice life.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But hey you could have just asked @dark10x and see if he can fill you in whether or not they do PR or not - Based on past histories, i am going to take an educated guess and say that they don't
That’s right. We do not do PR and I don’t do reviews really either. Any excitement you see stems from genuine excitement. We’re intentionally trying to fight against the “angry gamer” archetype that dominates YouTube - at least I am!

That said, now it’s pretty clear post embargo that the 20 series has some pretty significant drawbacks and is very much a GeForce 3 kind of card. I think it’s super fascinating, though, and RT is very exciting but not a great value right now. I don’t have a 20 series card myself, though, so I can’t even really play with it. I agree that’s it’s on the pricey side right now and I’ve spent too much on other setup upgrades recently so I’m locked out.

This week kinda sucked in that I did another video on a topic I’m passionate about (SAGE 2018) and barely anyone watched it. Still worth doing but it’s only possible because I also did something like the Spider-Man video. Gotta balance big titles with small things. I do enjoy jumping between those two extremes, though. I mean, I’ll be working on Blops 4 stuff soon while also capturing tons of Atari Jaguar games for another video. That’s one bizarre mashup of tasks.

dirthead

Banned
That’s right. We do not do PR and I don’t do reviews really either. Any excitement you see stems from genuine excitement. We’re intentionally trying to fight against the “angry gamer” archetype that dominates YouTube - at least I am!

That said, now it’s pretty clear post embargo that the 20 series has some pretty significant drawbacks and is very much a GeForce 3 kind of card. I think it’s super fascinating, though, and RT is very exciting but not a great value right now. I don’t have a 20 series card myself, though, so I can’t even really play with it. I agree that’s it’s on the pricey side right now and I’ve spent too much on other setup upgrades recently so I’m locked out.

This week kinda sucked in that I did another video on a topic I’m passionate about (SAGE 2018) and barely anyone watched it. Still worth doing but it’s only possible because I also did something like the Spider-Man video. Gotta balance big titles with small things. I do enjoy jumping between those two extremes, though. I mean, I’ll be working on Blops 4 stuff soon while also capturing tons of Atari Jaguar games for another video. That’s one bizarre mashup of tasks.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the DF Retro video on the Sonic fan games. Mario Flashback is quite impressive.

Redneckerz

As usual, you spout nonsense and pretend that it's fact. The majority of my comments on this forum get likes. There is no "general sentiment" of negativity about it. It's just another line of bullshit that you wrote that has no basis in reality.

Life's too short to read the rest of your comment. Welcome to the ignore list. Have a nice life.
You are literally proving my point by completely projecting at the comment, instead of reflecting, and not even projecting it properly because i was not talking about the forum as a whole, but the general sentiment people had in this specific thread.

In the end, you got banned over that, not me. Sorry that my attempt at emphatizing for your cause is met by the same hostility you have displayed prior - I guess that's what you get for not assuming bad intent on your character. :pie_eyeroll:

Yeah i mean, its kinda obvious that you and other DF compatriots have your own faves - But every platform and hardware is explored. I reckon the pr talk on Nvidia is mostly because the RTX represents a paradigm shift in hardwares - much like indeed the Geforce 3 you are referring to. Its new tech, its unknown tech. So ofcourse you get more excited over it than the 7th rebrand of an existing GPU. RTX geniunely tries to do something new, so the excitement is obvious.

I saw the SAGE part, but i didnt get around to it yet. I thought it was funny that it read like a misspelling of SEGA, but ill watch it tonight! And regarding Jaguar: hopefully you cover something like Towers 2 ;) Thanks John!

PS: Hope the video with Alex today went well! ;)
PPS: You might want to look into a new thing that is happening with OG Xboxes with a 128 MB ram upgrade - People have found out that geniune 720p can be achieved on many titles through a patch. I am talking stuff like Morrowind, Riddick, Doom 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - all running at 1280x720 as opposed to 640x480. Might be a interesting thing to cover on, if you want to know more, just PM me on this :)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Gotta balance big titles with small things. I do enjoy jumping between those two extremes, though. I mean, I’ll be working on Blops 4 stuff soon while also capturing tons of Atari Jaguar games for another video. That’s one bizarre mashup of tasks.
I love the small "things" you do in special the retro stuff but i understand is the less important for the mass viewers like the young guys who prefer the technical analysis for the last games.

Top Bottom