• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo Sport is HDR's killer app

ethomaz

Banned
All things aside, I don't think HDR in GTS does anything to overcome its shortfalls.

It has a very last gen look to everything that isn't the cars. The geometry, foliage, backgrounds... Reflections.

It really look alike a ok meow important high resolution cars and some new gen shader and put it over a PS3 game. The ground gives me Ridge Racer feels.

I can't agree that it is HDR's killer app. I feel like almost everything else I downloaded from Gamersyde is more impressive as a showcase of HDR.
What game did you play?

Izuna

Banned
What game did you play?

I've seen a bunch of videos and also in person running on the Pro.

Ultra low resolution reflections, 2D trees noticeable everywhere... And if you compare the trackball other racers, you can see the side bumps are flat in GTS. Not even a convincing bump map. It's distracting.

Game play wise it felt easier to handle than Forza Motorsport for whatever reason, but I don't know too much about sim racers.

ethomaz

Banned
I've seen a bunch of videos and also in person running on the Pro.

Ultra low resolution reflections, 2D trees noticeable everywhere... And if you compare the trackball other racers, you can see the side bumps are flat in GTS. Not even a convincing bump map. It's distracting.

Game play wise it felt easier to handle than Forza Motorsport for whatever reason, but I don't know too much about sim racers.
Of course... you didn’t play it.

Because the game you described in the post I quoted is not GTS.

Or maybe you are comparing with some racing game from the future... that is a possibility and it makes GTS last gen.

Izuna

Banned
Of course... you didn’t play it.

Because the game you described in the post I quoted is not GTS.

Or maybe you are comparing with some racing game from the future... that is a possibility and makes GTS last gen.

I did play it. One race, but also watched quite a bit. On the Pro no less.

None of what I said is patently false. They're just stuff that people say don't matter, or are otherwise not visible during normal game play.

They are to me.

But on-topic, I definitely don't think it is the best HDR showcase. I'm not even sure that many people would know there's anything special about a display if this game is the first they see.

ethomaz

Banned

None of what I said is patently false. They're just stuff that people say don't matter, or are otherwise not visible during normal game play.

They are to me.

But on-topic, I definitely don't think it is the best HDR showcase. I'm not even sure that many people would know there's anything special about a display if this game is the first they see.
I agree the HDR part is a bit personal because most HDR TVs didn’t really support HDR (but says so) or the the owner needs to take a lot of time to calibrate the HDR.

Now technically the HDR implementation in GTS is ahead what today display can show... that is what PD said... you can believe or not.

But there is nothing last gen in the game.

Izuna

Banned
I agree the HDR part is a bit personal because most HDR TVs didn’t really support HDR (but says so) or the the owner needs to take a lot of time to calibrate the HDR.

Now technically the HDR implementation in GTS is ahead what today display can show... that is what PD said... you can believe or not.

But there is nothing last gen in the game.

Nothing last gen about this game? https://i.imgur.com/32AjPeh.png (ignore the colour, it's an SDR screen shot) folks are already talking about this aspect in another thread, so I won't go into too much detail, but the environments are really polygonal and just generally bad. Like they are stuck on low settings or something.

As for HDR, if I take this video of GTS and play one from say Horizon Zero Down, Ratchet and Clank or even Deus Ex MD, it doesn't hold up.

The thing is, the lighting on the cars is already impressive and is already the stand out feature without HDR. HDR itself doesn't cover up the shortfalls, and the cars still have horrible reflections at times (in the demo roll especially).

With Deus Ex MD, exiting a dark area and looking up at the sky is an entirely new and different experience in HDR. It's done so crazy well and fits the art style so perfectly that it adds a new dimension to the game.

Or how in Ratchet and Clank makes you feel the heat in the lava or Forza 7 gives the lightning the ferocity it would have in real life.

KageMaru

Yeah, HDR is still very new for us. This was my very first full HDR video, in fact.

The process was quite time consuming! YouTube required 40 hours to process the video. It was stuck on 720p for the longest time. I assume that's the price you pay for tone mapping to SDR.

Hey John, great video as always. I agree with you that the implementation is top tier, but you said few games do HDR better. So I was wondering if you thought any other games were comparable? IMO Resogun is another game that does an awesome job of showcasing HDR.

Also now that you guys are planning on producing more HDR content, are you guys planning on doing a video covering some of the best HDR games out or those come up?

Just a short, simple "slow tv" digital video of one dude arc welding on a construction site. However, it's got one of the most easy to understand examples of why HDR is more than just contrast. The welder has a huge steel carabiner buckle on his tool belt, and the color detail reflecting in that object alone is a real "oh I get it now" moment for why HDR is detail and information rather than just a broad improvement.

Search for "HDR" in the netflix app and it should show up near the bottom.

Sadly I don't think this video is on Netflix anymore. I just ran a search and couldn't find it.

Unknown?

Nothing last gen about this game? https://i.imgur.com/32AjPeh.png (ignore the colour, it's an SDR screen shot) folks are already talking about this aspect in another thread, so I won't go into too much detail, but the environments are really polygonal and just generally bad. Like they are stuck on low settings or something.

As for HDR, if I take this video of GTS and play one from say Horizon Zero Down, Ratchet and Clank or even Deus Ex MD, it doesn't hold up.

The thing is, the lighting on the cars is already impressive and is already the stand out feature without HDR. HDR itself doesn't cover up the shortfalls, and the cars still have horrible reflections at times (in the demo roll especially).

With Deus Ex MD, exiting a dark area and looking up at the sky is an entirely new and different experience in HDR. It's done so crazy well and fits the art style so perfectly that it adds a new dimension to the game.

Or how in Ratchet and Clank makes you feel the heat in the lava or Forza 7 gives the lightning the ferocity it would have in real life.

Whatever no other sims look as good and have the SAME problems. HDR here is better than all racing games too. Horizon definitely doesn’t use HDR as well either.

Hawk269

Since my Pro took a shit I have not been able to play the demo so this HDR video is the closest I have and it does look great, especially the replays with the letter boxing. I am a donator to DF so I download the high bit rate version. While replay looks incredible, the actual game play did not look as impressive. I know you have to actually play it to make a full assessment of it so I am not going to knock it too much, but I can see those that have certain complaints/constructive feedback.

The good news is my wife just green lighted me buying a new Pro since Sony are being ass-hats about repairing my launch Pro unit. So hopefully I will have it tomorrow and I can download the demo and give it a true test.

One thing I can say, regardless of what system you have, there are 3 really good looking racers, 1 for each platform and Pcars 2.

JP

It's a little different but in some ways comparing the HDR from one game to another is almost like what was done for the HDR implementation in The Bridge On The River Kwai and something like The Lego Movie, it just wouldn't work if HDR was treated in the same way because River Kwai needs a far more measured, sensitive approach to expand but not interfere with the aesthetic that Jack Hildyard and David Lean created. Whereas The Lego Movie lends itself better to a far more fully featured implementation of HDR, it really benefits from that.

That's not to say in any way that one is better than the other because I believe that both do exactly what they should do with HDR.

I love the way HDR has been handled in this but I also love how it's dealt with differently in games like the WipEout Omega Collection and also in all three Housemarque games that have implemented HDR. I don't think it's really as simple as HDR being right or wrong because HDR is no more than a tool, a paintbrush in the same way that colour, audio, textures, rhythm allows teams to create their own vision of what that game is.

I know it's not an either/or situation but ever since my first experience with HDR on a calibrate panel I really believed that it was a far larger step forward that going from 1080p to 4K. I also think it's a lot harder to sell to people, unless they can see it in person. I'm so hoping that HDR really starts to become the normal situation for games over the next year or so with all PS4s and the newer Xbox consoles supporting it.

belvedere

Junior Butler

They are to me.

Never heard of you. Seems like a tourist comment.

ethomaz

Banned

What in your pic makes it last gen? Every game this gen has these graphics of worst.

GTS is just a ahead others with HDR and lighting.

Izuna

Banned
What in your pic makes it last gen? Every game this gen has these graphics of worst.

GTS is just a ahead others with HDR and lighting.

The ground textures and backgrounds don't look last gen to you? I mean, that was my point earlier it doesn't seem to bother other people but it does to me.

The ground textures and backgrounds don't look last gen to you? I mean, that was my point earlier it doesn't seem to bother other people but it does to me.

The grass looks great close-up, but from what I've seen they quickly switch to a lower LOD with distance, even as close as the other side of the track. The 2D trees and weeds aren't great, but they only really stick out in replays. I think most of the bits that look underwhelming were probably affordances in order to hit a locked 60fps on the base PS4. I wouldn't say it looks "last-gen", but the level design is somewhat plain. But all the tracks we've seen so far are racing tracks, not drive-your-Porsche-through-the-Bavarian-forests tracks.

LCGeek

formerly sane
HDR means little me if I can't get the pixel persistence down, blurry vibrant images are just that. Show me a decent hdr set with low pixel persistence I'm there.

Izuna

Banned
The grass looks great close-up, but from what I've seen they quickly switch to a lower LOD with distance, even as close as the other side of the track. The 2D trees and weeds aren't great, but they only really stick out in replays. I think most of the bits that look underwhelming were probably affordances in order to hit a locked 60fps on the base PS4. I wouldn't say it looks "last-gen", but the level design is somewhat plain. But all the tracks we've seen so far are racing tracks, not drive-your-Porsche-through-the-Bavarian-forests tracks.

The person I was with when I was watching it said that the lighting model also had a rather close LOD, but I wasn't able to spot it myself.

Though, this is the sort of thing I expect to be better in the full game.

Renekton

HDR means little me if I can't get the pixel persistence down, blurry vibrant images are just that. Show me a decent hdr set with low pixel persistence I'm there.
Hmm I sometimes lurk in the TV threads but never came across this term.

Why is pixel persistence important to HDR gaming?

Huh, having a HDR calibration tool to be able to better optimize for people's different HDR TVs seems so simple it's brilliant.

It's pretty shocking how fucking stupid TV brands are when it comes to setting up HDR.

In order to get HDR even working on a TV, you have to jump through like 10 different hoops. I can only imagine how many people don't even have HDR up and running on their HDR TV.

For instance, on my Bravia - I have to use the proper HDMI inputs, using the wrong input won't work. I then have to go to settings, - inputs - enhance hdmi, turn that on.

Why the fuck isn't enhanced HDMI turned on to begin with?

All my friends who have HDR TV's, none of them actually had it up and running. I had to do it for them.

Rant over.

Anyway, nice work DF.

John Wick

Forza? I don't know.

The cars look fine, but the environments?

I'm watching the cockpit camera and the environments don't look good at all.

Maybe it's just the youtube quality messing with me.

I mean, I'll buy it just for it being a HDR showcase, but I was expecting something better.

Which Forza? Also are you comparing the PC version or Xbox version???

I wish I had an HDR 4k TV. Anyone have a couple thousand dollars you can lend me?

If you are okay with getting a TV less than 50 inches, there are plenty of decent gaming friendly ( low input lag, low response time) 4k HDR TV's out there.

Go to:

www.rtings.com and investigate.

Just know that it takes like 1 hour to properly set up HDR on your TV. You better read that TV manual that most people just throw away.

Izuna

Banned
Yikes. This video runs at like 5fps on my Galaxy S8

This YouTube app gets worse as more videos do HDR. I hate this.

Sadly, none of the videos display HDR on the S8 via YouTube. But yes, since the update videos run very choppy at 1440p or higher.

It's pretty shocking how fucking stupid TV brands are when it comes to setting up HDR.

In order to get HDR even working on a TV, you have to jump through like 10 different hoops. I can only imagine how many people don't even have HDR up and running on their HDR TV.

For instance, on my Bravia - I have to use the proper HDMI inputs, using the wrong input won't work. I then have to go to settings, - inputs - enhance hdmi, turn that on.

All my friends who have HDR TV's, none of them actually had it up and running. I had to do it for them.

Rant over.

Anyway, nice work DF.

OMG, yes! It's an unintuitive mess.

My newly arrived Sony Bravia found out not all the ports support HDR and you needed to turn on enhanced HDMI mode where you are just clicking on your multiple menu buttons to try to find the damn setting like you mentioned. I had messed with my friends 4k Samsung and HDR seems so damn random from brand to brand and the settings are all called different things!

Welp, I was worried my Gran Turismo thirst had placebo'd a lot of my tech takeaway with the demo, but it does seem that it was indeed great load times and silky smooth framerate!

Sad to say I don't have an HDR display yet. When 4K displays started hitting market, my thought was "well that's nice, but I don't NEED to have a 4K." Now that they're equipped with HDR, that's the real game changer for me. GT Sport and Horizon Zero Dawn are probably tracking to be my first HDR game tests once I do upgrade my display, which I'm planning this winter (probably early 2018).

Can't wait!

ss_lemonade

Rant over.

Anyway, nice work DF.
Understanding how it works with PCs at the moment is even worse

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
All things aside, I don't think HDR in GTS does anything to overcome its shortfalls.

It has a very last gen look to everything that isn't the cars. The geometry, foliage, backgrounds... Reflections.

It really look alike a ok meow important high resolution cars and some new gen shader and put it over a PS3 game. The ground gives me Ridge Racer feels.

I can't agree that it is HDR's killer app. I feel like almost everything else I downloaded from Gamersyde is more impressive as a showcase of HDR.
I'm sitting here now starting my comparisons and...let me just say that the results I'm seeing are genuinely surprising. GT has more detail than you seem to think in comparison to Forza 7.

atpbx

Rant over.

Anyway, nice work DF.

I don't know, on my Samsung I just plugged it into HDMI 1 and it picked up that the Pro was transmitting HDR content and...... that was it.

I mean there might have been a little more to it than that, but the fact I remember not having to do a great deal other than make sure I had it plugged into the right hdmi slot makes me think not.

Izuna

Banned
Just tested a Note 8, seems that it doesn't have a 10 bit screen either failed the Gradient Split video test.

dark10x

It's interesting to see how they both do trees up close.

GT seems to use more 3D elements in the trees but relies on leaf textures that are always facing the player. Forza also uses flat tree textures but in the cross shape so that they don't rotate while driving.

I'll have a nice video on this soon. ;)

whome0

Reason is that last year/this year models still are more or less early adopter's HDR televisions. Manufacturers have had cases where some obscure input device did not work properly if HDR was enabled. Devices should handshake a signal format but sometimes things may go wrong and bad settings are applied. They play safe and keep it an optional feature for now.

Input device and tv manufacturers work hard to overcome incompatibility issues so time will make this better. I don't even want to talk about HDMI/HDR specification issues which always leave room for implementation differences. Next year you want HybridLogGammaHDR(HLG), HDR10(dynamic) and HDMI2.1(with freesync) televisions so this will never ends :)

Izuna

Banned
It's interesting to see how they both do trees up close.

GT seems to use more 3D elements in the trees but relies on leaf textures that are always facing the player. Forza also uses flat tree textures but in the cross shape so that they don't rotate while driving.

I'll have a nice video on this soon. ;)

Can't wait :)

dark10x

That will be awesome
One thing I noticed about Forza is that they pour little details in spots that you might not expect. Like modeling a round valve on the bottom of a stand or certain details in the stands. Little things like that.

It's really impressive.

Top Bottom