• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with PS4's PlayStation 2 emulation

thelastword

Banned
So we will finally get Silent Hill on PS4!
Would be interesting to play these games at 1080p 60fps with the original sound and graphics (fog, water and all). There may be hoops to go through with konami though. Maybe some copyright issues with voice actors etc...or Konami in general making things a pain.

Lime

Would be interesting to play these games at 1080p 60fps with the original sound and graphics (fog, water and all). There may be hoops to go through with konami though. Maybe some copyright issues with voice actors etc...or Konami in general making things a pain.

1. They are using the new voice work for their Pachinko abominations.
2. It's fucking Konami so don't expect anything from them
3. The only available Silent Hill titles on western PSN is 1, Origins, and Shattered Memories. (LOL)

Oppo

Will the games be made to look as good on hdtvs as they did on ps2 and crt ?

Ps2 on HD tvs looks awful and I refuse to play them. Literally look 3 times worse
thanks for measuring it. exactly 3.0 X worse, right in the nose huh. that's quite literally bad.

(yes this is re rendering it seems, not upscaling)

thelastword

Banned
1. They are using the new voice work for their Pachinko abominations.
2. It's fucking Konami so don't expect anything from them
3. The only available Silent Hill titles on western PSN is 1, Origins, and Shattered Memories. (LOL)
So it might be pretty hazy then, hope they surprise us......

giphy.gif
Where's this from?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

1080p is completely different from the res of PS2 games, so i'm assuming elements could show up broken.

That's probably the reason why they chose the specific res they did, so it would scale up linearly

c0de

1080p is completely different from the res of PS2 games, so i'm assuming elements could show up broken.

That's probably the reason why they chose the specific res they did, so it would scale up linearly

It's almost as if we wouldn't know how upscaled games would look as there is no pcsx2 available which does upres games already.

Sporran

Article has been updated

UPDATE 20/11/15 8:41am: Overnight, Sony has confirmed PlayStation 2 emulation for PS4, but is remaining tight-lipped on its plans for the project. "We are working on utilising PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation," Sony told Wired. "We have nothing further to comment at this point in time."

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Awww fuck this...I don't have enough time already to play my PS4 games and now this?
Screw you Sony! I want my social life back!!!
I'll finally be able to play God of War series for the first time.

Atwa

Banned
So I guess we have to pay for our PS2 games again, and have a very limited selection, much like the PS2 classics on PS3.

It's almost as if we wouldn't know how upscaled games would look as there is no pcsx2 available which does upres games already.

Well, not that it has much to do with the uprezzing, but sadly Pcsx2, at least in my experience, is still a pretty broken emulator, wich works perfectly in some games, kind of well but buggy in others and not at all in some other, that's why I am still so excited about an official Sony emulator.

If what I've read online is true, this will likely never happen as the finished code for SH 2 and 3 were forever lost some how. And the reason the SH HD Collection was so messed up is Konami used an old beta build which was of course an unfinished version. Again, that's only what I read so take it with a grain of salt, but knowing Konami, it sounds true.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If what I've read online is true, this will likely never happen as the finished code for SH 2 and 3 were forever lost some how. And the reason the SH HD Collection was so messed up is Konami used an old beta build which was of course an unfinished version. Again, that's only what I read so take it with a grain of salt, but knowing Konami, it sounds true.

Technically, you don't need the source code, just an ISO of the original game. So you could use a retail copy if worst comes to worst

Lime

1. Retail versions of the games exist. Bluepoint does it, why can't Konami?
2. The HD collection was a case of mismanagement and lack of effort + financial support. Konami didn't want to fork out enough money I suppose or the decisionmakers hired an inexperienced studio (nepotism??)
3. According to Clear who worked on the SH2 PC port back in 2002:

Sounds like some kind of fuckup at Konami, the reality is that complete working source code for at least SH2 was floating around a few years ago. I know this because I was working at the time for the company (RCL) responsible for doing PC port-jobs of SH2 and Shadow Of Memories.

As it turned out SH2 got handed off-site to another team for political reasons, but I remember hearing that there were gigs and gigs of source-code being held under lock and key. It was pretty funny because me and one of the producers there (who now runs JAW and posts on Gaf occasionally) were HUGE SH fans and were salivating at the thought of getting a look at it to see if the rumours of pre-release content edits were true.

Another fun story from that time: One of my housemates was lead on the SoM port and I remember how quickly they got that game up and running on PC; albeit at about 5fps! I remember him being aghast at the way the game apparently didn't cull any scene-data ever on PS2, it literally drew everything all the time!

Hmmm... from what I recall the whole situation was really oddly cloak-and-dagger. It came about because I believe Runecraft (RCL) kinda got the projects grandfathered in when they bought Infogrames Leeds studio. As a result they couldn't officially admit they had the projects. As I said before SH2 got moved off-site, so basically I have no idea what went on. Shadow was done at RCL, and as far as I know got finished, but in either case our involvement was never stated for buisness reasons.

It was a mad period because RCL was expanding rapidly, only to run into a brick-wall and crash and burn following some high-profile projects getting pulled (Rollerball and The Sims for EA, the former because the film was such a clusterfuck, the latter because with the game almost complete they decided they didn't want a straight port of the PC version) and most damagingly HSBC pulling their backing from the studio and demanding their investment back.

I was only there for a year -once the new management came in, they were looking for any reason to shed staff, and honestly I'd had enough of Dewsbury, hideous shithole that it is!- so I'm not sure what happened afterwards.

It's only a minor thing, but I do hope that these re-released PS2 games get larger trophy lists, and that the smaller ones is just what EA came up with. Persona 3 deserves a plat.

dogen

That doesn't mean it doesn't cause issues. The custom resolution option isn't going to be in pcsx2 much longer (if it's all even there).

Corpsepyre

Banned
Upsetting? No, not at all just me wondering why you took the time to quote me and make a point that had nothing to do with my post.

Anyway PS2 emulation.....

745837-00115798.jpg

*Prays*

I play this everyday on my PC. *wins* :D

The combat arenas NEVER get old. Been 10 years, and they're still a fucking blast!

Sony patent to help transcode C# and Java games/programs to Playstation Platforms including PS2.

http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=9 said:
This invention reduces a tedious time-consuming, and expensive task of conditioning to a simple step of processing data in one language and passing it off to the system for automated serialization, instead of having to straddle languages or agree on a data format. The content provider, such as a game developer, or programmer, simply needs to prepare his/her content in a high level language, specify a target architecture (such as PLAYSTATION2.TM., PLAYSTATION 3.TM., PSP.TM., or other platform), and the system according this invention automatically completes the process using transformation, as described herein.

One embodiment of the present invention is directed to a system (the system) that includes a database that receives a plurality of first program code, each first program code utilizing a descriptive programming language. A code generator generates a second program code that utilizes a procedural programming language based on the first program code. A conditioning unit generates platform-specific runtime data associated with the first program code used in the code generator. A terminal executes the second program code and the platform-specific runtime data and produces output data.

Another embodiment of the present invention is directed to the system described above wherein the descriptive programming language includes, for example, C#, or Java.

Yet another embodiment of the present invention is directed to the system described above wherein the procedural programming language includes, for example, C or C++.

Top Bottom