• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Inside Xbox Series X: How Microsoft Redefined Console Form Factor

GymWolf

Cerny looking at this video after creating loudstation 4 being like

paradise_cernynijt1.gif

Kenpachii

I am interesting to see how hot that SSD in the PS5 is going to be. Also hope for microsoft that box is really strong outside i could see it break fast with people slamming those boxes down.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
From DF YouTube:

Rich from DF just put up a video breaking down the architectural design of the XsX, inside and out, calling it possibly the most original design we’ve seen since Gamecube, while detailing the

-Top to bottom revamp
- XsX ships with a 315 watt power supply, delivered internally. Regulators pump up to 100 watts per square inch, delivering up to 190 amps
- Move to split-motherboard design, two similarly sized boards, not a mainboard with smaller daughter board design seen in the past
-Aim with split board architecture is a kind of parallel cooling solution, better distribution of air around hottest parts of the unit
- Meaty, fuill on vapor chamber heat sink
- Strategic shielding between components
- SSD uses around 3.8 watts of power, so siphon that heat off MS uses what they call thermal biostrings
- 130mm axial fan sits on top the design, efficient while quiet, designed for optimal airflow
- 70 percent more airflow than last gen, 20 percent more through heat sink

Controller breakdown starts at 9:50

- New pad keeps same basic design to ensure peripheral compatibility
- Small changes could make the pad far more comfortable to use
- Share button added and much improved clicky d-pad
- Matte finish on buttons and triggers
- Thumb stick height remains the same
- Feels familiar but also easier to hold/use
- Wireless designed for lower latency
- low energy Bluetooth for easy connectivity to non-Xbox hardware

random pic I kinda chuckled at

Wushegy.jpg

The way the HW is assembled through modular components is quite amazing and so is the airflow solution which can Move tons of air quiet quietly. Very impressed by how clean the motherboard components are too.

It does remind me of the old Mac Pro in terms of shape and cooling:

INmUBte.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
My one worry is for parents. It’s entirely possible that young children will drop small things in through those large holes at the top. It could also be a bit of a dust magnet, but frankly, you should just clean your house at that point.

It’s a lovely design otherwise, both in functionality and aesthetics. I can’t wait to own one.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Interesting. Definitely similar
Except not really, fan has different principe and in Mac there is a in the middle, which is not the case on XBX.

My one worry is for parents. It’s entirely possible that young children will drop small things in through those large holes at the top. It could also be a bit of a dust magnet, but frankly, you should just clean your house at that point.

It’s a lovely design otherwise, both in functionality and aesthetics. I can’t wait to own one.

Since everything is shielded nothing really can damage the console, maybe besides fan, if someone would drop there some small metal ball.. Holes are small enough for children to even have this sort of small objects in their hands...

Last edited:
Sony track recors so far looks like this:

PSX, PS2, PS2 Slim (both models) - loudest part was the CD/DVD drive
PS3 phat - quiet in menu loud in games
PS3 slim 1 - never seen that one in person but most likely better than original
PS3 slim 2 - cool and quiet, ugly but great
PS4 original - same as PS3 phat
PS4 Slim - cool and quiet
PS4 Pro - loud

This doesn't bode well, only slim models were ok in cooling department, while MS has quiet main consoles since 2013.

All the ps4 models were loud and had shit cooling solutions

Sony have not made a good console design since the ps2 days

if the ps5 does not have a top mounted fan/vents or some other type of way to reduce the heat then I’m pretty sure we are in for another noisy as fuck console

Man I fucking love the design. It’s just an obelisk, it stands strong and looks ominous. You just look at it and it screams power, such a great design with that stood up profile, it’ll fit my sets ups more because I prefer devices to take more space upwards and take up less depth space.

it reminds me of the obelisk from 2001

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I’m a big fan of the design and I almost hope Sony follows this form factor as well. I don’t think the cooling value of this design and the large fan can be denied. It might even be overkill!

Sony needs to come up with their own design, maybe something like that vacuum cleaner Dev kit with the v-shaped pizza warmer.

This distinctive design is an XSX exclusive, no multi plats. Of course the design will be available on all Windows PCs Day 1.

LordOfChaos

What a smart modular design. Easy to fix up and repair, saving MS tons that can be put back into gamers' hand

Total 315W.
12v x 21.25A = 255W for APU. I guess the Zen2 cpu just needs 35W, which leaves the monser 52CU at 220W. This is amazing choice to use the 52CU part. Just a masterpiece in design choice.

I guess PS5 power supply will be 350W this round because of pushing their APU to its limits.

It woudln't be running at full load, that's bad practice and risky with capacitor aging, power virus situations, etc.

Say it's running at a high-ish 80% load, that would then be 252W to start with. The One X is running about 70% load.

Looks like shit. Not as bad as the cable box one but not much better. They blew their wad on the 360.
Well it is either this design or no 12+ TF GPU. I am glad that MS went back to its Xbox 1 roots by making a big and uncompromising console , in terms of power. The first Xbox was my favourite console for its raw compute power and the things it introduced (super powerful pc-like architecture, standard hdd e.t.c) and that was also mocked for being «a pc». Well guess what kind of architecture every console has used ever since.....

SonGoku

Does the SEX have an internal SSD or just the removable one which is upgradable?
Can somebody clarify this

Last edited:
The design has grown on me since the reveal. Now that we know the dimensions of it I'm less worried that it'll fit into my TV stand. Having said that though. The naming of this machine is awful. It's going to confuse the shit out of a lot of parents come Christmas time.

JLB

Banned
Meh, it's just a box. I dont mind the minimalist look myself, but I expect Sony to have alot more wow looking PS5 than the XSX is. Sony normally has nice designs to their home entertainment products. I expect the same.

ps3 and ps4 are ugly imo, specially the parallelogram shape of ps4.
standard ps2 on the other hand is sublime.

Top Bottom