• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

I find digging through somebody's post history or their old social media posts to try to discredit them to be really distasteful and unpleasant. Unless they're trying to scam someone, harassing, posted racist shit etc. there's really no need, especially if it's just petty console wars rubbish. It's little more than an ad hominen attack.

ekim

To get back on topic:
I heard that specs have been finalized with Dev kits now going out to developers. IIRC the Xbox One devkits basically did sport the same board and chip as the retail SKU around the same time in 2013 so we can assume that we probably get more leaks shortly from developers.

I have no info about the actual specs though.

Durante

2017-01-27_16-00-370cu1a.png

2017-01-27_16-00-508quy1.png
That's pretty good.

Theorry

To get back on topic:
I heard that specs have been finalized with Dev kits now going out to developers. IIRC the Xbox One devkits basically did sport the same board and chip as the retail SKU around the same time in 2013 so we can assume that we probably get more leaks shortly from developers.

Good to hear. Shinobi also said that i believe, February.
Is that earlier or later then normal? Or on time?

m23

To get back on topic:

Bring on the leaks,

Chobel

To get back on topic:

Nice!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Have things calmed down? Good. Anyways, i'm hoping that along with Scorpio's launch, they announced OG Xbox game emulation as well

Scorpio having 12GB, 6tflops should be more than enough to run those at higher fidelity too, even 360 ran certain xbox games a 720p 4xmSAA

leeh

To get back on topic:

Good to hear.

gamz

To get back on topic:

When are they going out. Early Feb?

Gwyn

It was confirmed fake since the guy posted because the numbers didn't match in any way.

Yea you are right i didn't really follow the thread and as i said after the "leak" post i am by no means an expert in tech stuff. Then i read that it was from some guy related to misterxmedia and i was like wtf lol

ekim

When are they going out. Early Feb?

I didn't get an exact date but I guess within the next 2 weeks if not already.

I'm curious if MS wants to do an extra event before E3 or not. I'm unsure if it is worth it as they would basically fire out a lot of E3 stuff and if they would not show many games they wouldn't have to show a lot because the OS and ecosystem will probably stay the same.

leeh

I'm curious if MS wants to do an extra event before E3 or not. I'm unsure if it is worth it as they would basically fire out a lot of E3 stuff and if they would not show many games they wouldn't have to show a lot because the OS and ecosystem will probably stay the same.
When's the next earliest event before e3? If developing for Scorpio is everything they made it out to be, could we see some Scorpio versions of games around April/May?

I wouldn't imagine they'd want to dedicate all E3 to Scorpio.

When's the next earliest event before e3? If developing for Scorpio is everything they made it out to be, could we see some Scorpio versions of games around April/May?

Not sure... There's probably a scalebound sized gap in the e3 draft plan at the moment ☹ dedicated event probably still makes most sense though.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Hmm so if dev kits are shpping out in ~2 weeks (which is earlier than I expected honestly), I wonder what that says about the possibility of potential hardware changes/upgrades since E3 2016..would that have been enough time to make significant changes?

m23

I don't think they will be doing an event before e3. All they really need to do is show off the hardware which could be done during the e3 presser. The games, UI, programs etc should be the same for both Xbone and Scorpio I would think, aside from obviously performance differences.

leeh

Not sure... There's probably a scalebound sized gap in the e3 draft plan at the moment ☹ dedicated event probably still makes most sense though.
I wasn't that personally interested it it tbh, but I can understand people's dissappointment!

For me, I'd love to see something using Rare's array of IP's with a cartoony art style on Scorpio. Even seeing sea of theives on there!
I don't think they will be doing an event before e3. All they really need to do is show off the hardware which could be done during the e3 presser. The games, UI, programs etc should be the same for both Xbone and Scorpio I would think, aside from obviously performance differences.
The only issue for me is that if that was the case, I can imagine they'd show all their upcoming titles running on Scorpio and it'd just send across the wrong message.

Inuhanyou

Hmm so if dev kits are shpping out in ~2 weeks (which is earlier than I expected honestly), I wonder what that says about the possibility of potential hardware changes/upgrades since E3 2016..would that have been enough time to make significant changes?

Its hard to say. Sony for PS4 basically had their specs locked down in time for the official unveiling that February and they didn't change through the whole year

Theorry

Doubt they do it. I mean there isnt much to tell really and if they show games they dont have alot for E3. And they probably dont want to do a PS4 Pro reveal. Maybe they should do a Nintendo Direct thing

gamz

I'm sure they will do a separate event before E3. They are gonna hype this thing up and have it's own spotlight.

ethomaz

Banned
To get back on topic:

Well if they already sending the DevKits then I thing the hardware is already finalized and what can change is possible the clock like happened with XB1.

People needs to remember the 8GB devkits of PS4 was already sent to some devs before Feb 2013 (the announce)... it was a last minute change but with enough time to production.

What other realistic options do ms have than puma or jaguar in an 8 core amd CPU? Zen won't be available yet.

Nothing really, hence why Jaguar is the most likely option.

Why would jaguar be such bad news? Anybody care to explain?

It's a weak CPU by modern standards. But it is still useable and can do the job. When MS show Forza 7 in 4K locked 60fps looking prettier than ever it won't really matter.

No, they have exactly one gaming hardware win, but we had no idea if they had wins for non-gaming products (well before that investors conference anyway). Heck there was even a rumor about a win for Apple Macbook http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-soc-apple-macbook-pro/, I remember it because ironically you were the one who brought it up the last time.

And you still didn't address why she did went out of there way to specifically to deny anything about 2017, when there was no reason at all to talk about what 2017 has for AMD.
So? I brought up because i thought it was announced, turns out it was only rumors, but rumors don't mean it's real. There were many rumors about switch using amd that amounted to nothing for instance.

And she did say that their wins up to now were only on the gaming side, and that they were looking to change it 2018 and beyond.

And she didn't goes out her way to deny anything in 2017, that's kinda of my point. If she did you would have no trouble finding a quote where she says: There will be no zen in 2017 in any semi custom design.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Why would jaguar be such bad news? Anybody care to explain?
I wouldn't say it'd be 'bad news' being that it's the most likely scenario. A Jaguar CPU would clearly be the main bottleneck to otherwise pretty powerful hardware (for a console) so it's more of a buzzkill than anything but I'm buying Scorpio either way as I'm sure most are.

I'm certainly guilty of 'hoping against hope' for Zen though. :shrug:

Outrun

Have things calmed down? Good. Anyways, i'm hoping that along with Scorpio's launch, they announced OG Xbox game emulation as well

Scorpio having 12GB, 6tflops should be more than enough to run those at higher fidelity too, even 360 ran certain xbox games a 720p 4xmSAA

I am hoping that also.

Didn't MS have to pay Nvidia some royalties for emulating the Xbox hardware on the 360?

Might still apply making it less likely to happen. Could be wrong.

Outrun

Scorpio is gonna ship with only the CPU. Nothing else inside the box. Just the jaguar.

Good work Detective Detective.

Furthermore, my sources claim that the jaguar will be a real four legged jaguar. Surface Team are currently working out how to address the form factor and cooling issues.

Chobel

So? I brought up because it was announced, turns out it was only rumors, but rumors don't mean it's real. There were many rumors about switch using amd that amounted to nothing for instance.

And she did say that their wins up to now were only on the gaming side, and that they were looking to change it 2018 and beyond.

Exactly, only after she said that, we knew AMD has nothing other than gaming win in 2017. She could have not talked about that part and no one will figure out where this supposed Zen product will be used in.

And she didn't goes out her way to deny anything in 2017, that's kinda of my point.

When she said "beyond 2017", she's saying don't expect Zen semi-custom in 2017, basically the same thing as denying there's something in 2017. So she indeed got out of her way to make it look like they have nothing planned for 2017 (assuming Scorpio has Zen).

JaggedSac

To get back on topic:

Cool. Shouldn't be long at all until everything is known.

Inuhanyou

To summarise: it's crap.

It would get outclassed by Intel as of 7 years ago.

People need to keep things in perspective.

intel CPU's have not had major improvements for a long time either. So when you say that they get outclassed by intel 7 years ago, its not much different from getting outclassed today.

Inuhanyou

I believe Jaguar is the reason Square Enix promised a 60fps patch for FFXV on Pro but they couldn't get there.

no, SE is the reason why they promised that but could not get there. They had Pro hardware long before they talked about a 60fps patch, and obviously knew the gains were not so much that they could promise 60fps, they just did so anyway because they were in the hype cycle

Chris1

I find digging through somebody's post history or their old social media posts to try to discredit them to be really distasteful and unpleasant. Unless they're trying to scam someone, harassing, posted racist shit etc. there's really no need, especially if it's just petty console wars rubbish. It's little more than an ad hominen attack.

Yeah the guy didn't even say anything bad on here to warrant that. Looked like thebeard already did his digging and was just looking for an excuse to post it, quite sad really. People change. Shit like this is no better than the guy who doxed that mooch fellow over console warring.

leeh

People need to keep things in perspective.

intel CPU's have not had major improvements for a long time either. So when you say that they get outclassed by intel 7 years ago, its not much different from getting outclassed today.
I'd say only the past 2 iterations of the i series? Unless I've got the wrong idea.

Inuhanyou

I'd say only the past 2 iterations of the i series? Unless I've got the wrong idea.

intel's CPU's have been stagnant for atleast 4 years now. Its bad news for enthusiasts looking for a meaty upgrade

leeh

intel's CPU's have been stagnant for atleast 4 years now. Its bad news for enthusiasts looking for a meaty upgrade
Do Intel have anything major in the works? This may become a hilarious situation if Intel become stagnant and AMD lead the way.

Inuhanyou

Do Intel have anything major in the works? This may become a hilarious situation if Intel become stagnant and AMD lead the way.

Not as far as we know?

That's why Zen is pretty good for AMD, they arent going to pass Intel in terms of pure hardware, but they can get close enough to cut out their legs from under them in a 'good enough' fashion and beat them on pricing since intel is not actually moving fast from iteration to iteration.

I think it speaks to intel's stagnation that AMD can basically get on the cusp of out maneuvering Intel(if they play their cards right) on their first new major architecture in years.

I feel like for intel they feel they are uncontested, so not only do they not have to worry about IPC or core advancement, but they dont have to lower their prices either.

AMD using Zen is also a positive for consoles, as CPU wise, AMD have no been anywhere near keeping up with intel for a long time, thus why Jaguar was the only option for XB1 and PS4. With Zen on the horizon, it means a big meaty upgrade for whatever next machine uses it first in a semicustom form factor.

The real issue with Jaguar is that it's not powerful enough to justify exclusive Scorpio games - at some point. We can kiss that idea good bye if it basically has to use a beefed up current gen CPU.

Inuhanyou

The real issue with Jaguar is that it's not powerful enough to justify exclusive Scorpio games - at some point. We can kiss that idea good bye if it basically has to use a beefed up current gen CPU.

IF MS is planning for Scorpio exclusive games in the first place that is. I doubt devs are all that keen on counting on MS to prop up exclusive games only for their machine when Sony are the ones destroying it right now and they have no plans to move to next gen for years.

I feel like MS are in the same position as Sony with the Pro, but still have to leave things vague to keep hype going for their machine, they are trying their hardest to give it a 'new console' hype factor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom