• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe" Switch Analysis

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What does AF help in a side scrolling game? Watch to find out I guess, ha. Didn't expect that to have any meaningful change (edit, so it isn't). Game looks great, had forgotten of it since I never had a WIi U.

If I ever get a Switch and there's no sequel yet I'm definitely getting that, a Super Luigi game was a long time coming after all.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wait... wait...

Wii U was 720p? I could have put money on remembering it being 1080p... Comoir me shocked.

The most important part to me is missing from the write up, hopefully somebody can test. But is the Pro controller supported? Nintendo are a bit odd when it comes to supporting it, and while the Nintendo classic pads work with it, that doesn’t mean the pro pad does.

I’ll watch the full video later in the bath, as per my digital foundry tradition :)

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What does AF help in a side scrolling game? Watch to find out I guess, ha. Didn't expect that to have any meaningful change (edit, so it isn't). Game looks great, had forgotten of it since I never had a WIi U.

If I ever get a Switch and there's no sequel yet I'm definitely getting that, a Super Luigi game was a long time coming after all.

Just because it’s a side scroller it doesn’t mean you don’t get different angles to the camera ;) so anything 3d will get a much nicer image on harsher polygonal angles. Also, the world map, duh.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Nintendo still w that rock solid 60fps. Would much rather have that than anti aliasing

Can’t wait to get this game! I skipped the Wii U so for me it’s a new release.

JCK75

I'm 100% happy to get Nintendo ports on switch..
but them releasing at $60 is borderline insane and needs to stop.

Codes 208

1080p at Locked 60fps should be considered a given considering this is another straight forward port like DKC:TF. This is like the definition of cutting corners. Why port almost carbon copy version of a simple game when they could’ve just taken the assets to make a whole new title in the nsmb franchise?

More importantly why even this game? Who asked for this? Why not port or remaster Mario maker? At least that game was unique and fun for a 2d Mario game.

zenspider

The scrolling looked really choppy in the gameXplain comparison vid - happy that seems not to be the case.

I'm in the minority that thinks NSMBWii is superior to the sequel, but I might give it another shot if I can catch a copy at my library.

Skyr

I actually owned this game on the wii u for the brief period I had it but never got around to play it.

Will get a second hand copy at some point. But not at full price.

iconmaster

Banned
Nice that it's such a solid port. I never played it on the Wii U, so maybe I'll give it a shot eventually. Pretty tied up with other games for the foreseeable, though.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This version of SMB was too floaty for my tastes, but still a solid entry.

StormCell

Owned the game. Liked the game well enough. It's probably the best of the NSMB series, but the series as a whole just feels sterile. Ready for them to dump the use of these assets and actually invest some artistic resources into a new SMB experience. Not holding my breath.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Nice video, although the endless harping on graphics was annoying. What, exactly, did Digital Foundry expect? Super Mario isn’t going to turn into Call of Duty of God of War. It’s a cartoon videogame. I was impressed by the slight revisions made by Nintendo, which shows this isn’t simply a lazy port but actually given some attention.

For mainstream audiences, 2D Mario is far more popular than 3D Mario, so this release makes a lot of sense, especially when it’s known that Nintendo really doesn’t like making 2D Mario games (many of the design choices in recent titles show Miyamoto’s frustration in trying to get the 2D fans to embrace 3D Mario).

This package includes two outstanding videogames that were missed by most fans, and Nintendo get out of having to create an all-new sequel. It’s a win for everyone. Seriously, when I can finally afford a Switch for my family, this is the first game I’ll pick up.

1080p at Locked 60fps should be considered a given considering this is another straight forward port like DKC:TF. This is like the definition of cutting corners. Why port almost carbon copy version of a simple game when they could’ve just taken the assets to make a whole new title in the nsmb franchise?

More importantly why even this game? Who asked for this? Why not port or remaster Mario maker? At least that game was unique and fun for a 2d Mario game.
Especially considering they strait up had to cut gamepad challenges, but made no new co-op ones to make up for those cuts.... "Deluxe". Then worst of all, control changes with no option to play with the Wii U versions controls....."Deluxe" Also not sure why they just didn't leave in all the color Toads on top of adding Toadette, so you could still play 4 player co-op without a player being forced to use a easier character if they didn't want to, which already was a issue on Luigi U's Wii U version.

Graphic side of things, given this game is far less demanding than Tropical Freeze, would think at least some anti-aliasing would be in there, but minimum graphical improvements is the least of my issues with this port.

Definitely Nintendo's weakest Wii U to Switch port yet. Glad you can now use any character you want in single player, but that's not very much of a "Deluxe" improvement.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm 100% happy to get Nintendo ports on switch..
but them releasing at $60 is borderline insane and needs to stop.

Hey, at least this one was originally $60 when it launched in 2012. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze launched at $49.99 in 2014 before releasing at $59.99 on Switch in 2017.

kunonabi

Especially considering they strait up had to cut gamepad challenges, but made no new co-op ones to make up for those cuts.... "Deluxe". Then worst of all, control changes with no option to play with the Wii U versions controls....."Deluxe" Also not sure why they just didn't leave in all the color Toads on top of adding Toadette, so you could still play 4 player co-op without a player being forced to use a easier character if they didn't want to, which already was a issue on Luigi U's Wii U version.

Graphic side of things, given this game is far less demanding than Tropical Freeze, would think at least some anti-aliasing would be in there, but minimum graphical improvements is the least of my issues with this port.

Definitely Nintendo's weakest Wii U to Switch port yet. Glad you can now use any character you want in single player, but that's not very much of a "Deluxe" improvement.

Christ, Nintendo's laziness is just getting worse and worse.

Last edited:
So outside of the extra characters and slight graphics improvements we are paying full price for the same game released years ago??....they are really taking a page out of Sony’s book here for paid remasters

I love Mario and it was a great game on wiiU but cmon.....

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This one gets a big ol' pass from me right now. Especially since Vesperia launches the same day, and KH3 and RE2 are coming out within the same month. I'll probably pick it up whenever it drops in price, likely never or in a few years because it's Nintendo.

Last edited:

DonF

So outside of the extra characters and slight graphics improvements we are paying full price for the same game released years ago??....they are really taking a page out of Sony’s book here for paid remasters

What? Sony releases most of it's remastered games at less than $60, and the prices drop fast, unlike Nintendo. I just got Mario Kart 8 deluxe for $40, first time it's discounted on the eshop.

Codes 208

Enough suckers will buy this so that 60$ price tag is spot on.
This is what annoys me. People will justify this the same way they justified DKC:TF despite them being ports rather than remasters or if Nintendo legitimately put in time to make significant improvements. There are some games that are noticeably different and worth upgrading (mk8dx and hyrule warriors both include all dlc and new modes for equal price of their Wii U counterparts. Mario kart 8 even has a built from the ground up refined MP due to complaints of the Wii U version, and the dlc for the Wii U version of HW would’ve be of $90+ For all content included. Hell, even pokken added several characters from the exclusive arcade version along with decidueye for the same price of the base Wii U title.)

But this is just sad. It’s just exploiting the truly hardcore fans and milking casuals.

If it was $40 I wouldn’t be complaining but of course the Nintendo tax had to happen...
Honestly if I’m paying $60 for a 2d platformer, it better be a whole new game.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
What? Sony releases most of it's remastered games at less than $60, and the prices drop fast, unlike Nintendo. I just got Mario Kart 8 deluxe for $40, first time it's discounted on the eshop.

And often Sony exclusives are full on remakes. Didn't Ratchet and Clank and Shadow of the Colossus both launch for $40?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Played this game to 100% on Wii U. Such a great game, but I’m not paying $60 to do it again. Maybe $30

Vawn

Banned
Played this game to 100% on Wii U. Such a great game, but I’m not paying $60 to do it again. Maybe $30

I have to admit, as much as I'm pissed we allow Nintendo to port old games and sell at full new-game MSRP, I'm also super impressed from a business perspective.

PS4 and Xbox games with 10x the development budget often drop to below half price in a matter of months. Nintendo has somehow found a way to keep game prices from falling and can even convince millions to buy 5-7 year-old games for $60.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Well, Sony’s remasters at least solves major technical faults in the original releases. This was already 60fps so no real benefit. It’s identical.

Last edited:
That music again in my head... nooooo!

I found the Wiiu version (i bought the Wiiu for this game) very generic, ugly, boring and uninspired with always the same themes. But it's playing like a charm. I guess the whole "new: sery is extremely polarizing,: some love it, while some hate it.

Well, Sony’s remasters at least solves major technical faults in the original releases. This was already 60fps so no real benefit. It’s identical.

But they are still charging full price for a game most have played and are simply bolting on bells and whistles

Without starting a console war thread You look over the fence in Xbox and you are getting free xpatches which give a phenomenal upgrade to some older titles...for free

I understand Sony don’t do bc but it’s pretty shit from a consumer point of view paying full price for a remaster when you owned the original game

Very least if you owned a copy of the original it should be a discount

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But they are still charging full price for a game most have played and are simply bolting on bells and whistles

Without starting a console war thread You look over the fence in Xbox and you are getting free xpatches which give a phenomenal upgrade to some older titles...for free

I understand Sony don’t do bc but it’s pretty shit from a consumer point of view paying full price for a remaster when you owned the original game

Very least if you owned a copy of the original it should be a discount
Depends. For something like Shadow of the Colossus? That’s well worth it. It’s almost a remake.

For something like God of War 3? Yeah, that’s pushing it.

Microsoft’s efforts are amazing, though, but most games don’t get X enhancements. It doesn’t necessarily solve all performance issues either.

Most publishers are guilty of re-releasing updated versions. Capcom is the king. I don’t really love or hate it, though. If I care, I wait until it’s cheap. At least you can own them on disc.

The BC solution requires a connection which means they may disappear some day.

thelawof4

I have no real problem with Nintendo re-releasing games but it is good to know there are other ways to play these:

New Super Mario Bros U (4K 60fps)

And if you have a good gpu...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (8K)

Allandor

I really like 2D mario games.
Played New Super Mario bros, on DS, Wii and this on WiiU. I really want something new from Nintendo.
Nintendo is really super slow at releasing new games. Even at releasing ports, this port should be on the plattform on day 1.

TLZ

Banned
I have to admit, as much as I'm pissed we allow Nintendo to port old games and sell at full new-game MSRP, I'm also super impressed from a business perspective.

PS4 and Xbox games with 10x the development budget often drop to below half price in a matter of months. Nintendo has somehow found a way to keep game prices from falling and can even convince millions to buy 5-7 year-old games for $60.
Portable.

Fake

So, what missing Wii U games they gonna re-release? Sonic Lost World? John will be happy with that for sure.

Quezacolt

Depends. For something like Shadow of the Colossus? That’s well worth it. It’s almost a remake.
Shadow of the colossus is a remake. I dislike that some people, and even some publishers started calling everything a remaster, and because of that, nowadays no one seems to know the difference.
Shadow of the colossus had all of it's assets remade from scratch, everything really, they rebuilt it all on top of the original code, so it felt genuine.

God of war 3? Yes, a remaster, they got the original game, upped the res, maybe some small touch ups on some things that didnt age well, and done. for the most part, a remaster and an HD port are basically the same.

Not knowing the differences, is what makes people have high expectation for remasters, and then be disappointed when it's basically the same thing, with just higher res/fps, and maybe some small touch up on stuff like shadow/lighting or textures. Just look at the mess that Dark souls remaster was. People expecting basically a remake, hoping it would run in the dark souls 3 engine, etc... Ofc not. From the moment they announced it, i knew it would look 95% the same as before, and i was right.

Shadow of the colossus is a remake. I dislike that some people, and even some publishers started calling everything a remaster, and because of that, nowadays no one seems to know the difference.
Shadow of the colossus had all of it's assets remade from scratch, everything really, they rebuilt it all on top of the original code, so it felt genuine.

God of war 3? Yes, a remaster, they got the original game, upped the res, maybe some small touch ups on some things that didnt age well, and done. for the most part, a remaster and an HD port are basically the same.

Not knowing the differences, is what makes people have high expectation for remasters, and then be disappointed when it's basically the same thing, with just higher res/fps, and maybe some small touch up on stuff like shadow/lighting or textures. Just look at the mess that Dark souls remaster was. People expecting basically a remake, hoping it would run in the dark souls 3 engine, etc... Ofc not. From the moment they announced it, i knew it would look 95% the same as before, and i was right.

Only trolls and console warriors try to confuse what otherwise is clear as a summer sky.

Port: same game, with no enhancements

remaster: same game, added textures and adjustments to current gen TVs.

remake: full graphic overhaul plus gameplay tweaks

reboot: derivative revamping of a saga.

So people trying to throw in games like SOTC or Crash / Spyro trilogy are straight up trying to confuse things to make their points stand. Also, its funny enough when I read things like "Sony remasters" when there are about 150 remasters on Steam, a full BC platform.

I’d be happy with Mario maker, 3d world, wind waker , twilight princess and it’s virtual console library.

Technically yes because you’re enabling them to sell you a six year old game (with less content due to the removal of the challenge modes) for full price.

I really wish we'd get Wii levels of support for an eshop. It's a pipedream but, man that would be perfect! And yeah, the Zeldas + Mario Maker are no brainers.

dirthead

Banned
ahahah charging $60 for shovelware like this should feel like a baldface insult to their customers, but the fanboys will lap it up.

This wasn't a $60 game when it originally came out. The fan game Mario Flashback looks like it had a bigger budget than this.

Codes 208

ahahah charging $60 for shovelware like this should feel like a baldface insult to their customers, but the fanboys will lap it up.

This wasn't a $60 game when it originally came out. The fan game Mario Flashback looks like it had a bigger budget than this.
Actually as a launch title, it was

Top Bottom