• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: "New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe" Switch Analysis

Daymos

It's a great game regardless of the price. I know money matters in reality but when it comes to video games I wish we could just drop the $$$ and focus on what's on the screen.

Codes 208

WRONG

this game comes with the 40 dollar expansion luigi

so the real price would be 100 so what you get is a cool 40 dollar discount
We were talking about the Wii U version. Luigi u (which is just a modified hard mode which should’ve been no more than $20 as an expansion) didn’t release until 2013 and the bundle released in 2015 or 2016 just to bump the price because they discontinued the standard edition instead of lowering the price

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I’d be happy with Mario maker, 3d world, wind waker , twilight princess and it’s virtual console library.

Technically yes because you’re enabling them to sell you a six year old game (with less content due to the removal of the challenge modes) for full price.
Ok I’ll wait for it to drop

#Phonepunk#

Banned
sad to see lots of people can't afford games. maybe ask your parents for more allowance money next time you mow the lawn

We were talking about the Wii U version. Luigi u (which is just a modified hard mode which should’ve been no more than $20 as an expansion) didn’t release until 2013 and the bundle released in 2015 or 2016 just to bump the price because they discontinued the standard edition instead of lowering the price
It was 20$, it was 20$ as a DLC for Mario U and 30$ as a stand alone retail version. Spukc doubled the price.
http://www.nintendolife.com/games/wiiu-eshop/new_super_luigi_u
Then the combo version was given away as a pack-in Wii U game for awhile to replace Nintendo Land, and that version then got a 60$ retail release when they discontinued the stand alone versions of Mario U and Luigi U.

Last edited:

Pejo

Surely they'll run out of WiiU games to port one of these days and make some new games, right guys? right....?

Hinedorf

Banned
A coworker just walked over with his homebrewed switch to show me this game he downloaded last night. He indicated he paid 25$ to have his Switch jailbroken.

This is just the old Wii U game ported over to the Switch right?

Manus

Oh hey another Wii U port that I own that is now on Switch with no added features for $60.

It's crazy what they get away with with these ports and how much their charging for them.

Codes 208

Ok I’ll wait for it to drop
Well it’s not like I’d physically tackle you or something. If it’s your only option then it’s your only option. And while it’s not as bad as flat out extortion or some anti-consumer practice, but I do consider it exploitation.

On top of that, it’s nintendo so you’ll be waiting awhile for a price drop.

sad to see lots of people can't afford games. maybe ask your parents for more allowance money next time you mow the lawn
Gamefaqs is that way ->

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
giphy.gif

Vawn

Banned
If I never played it. Would I be a sucker?

Seeing as it's still a 2D platformer that came out in 2012 and has been sold as new for $19.99 by Nintendo for years, yeah kinda...

I'm buying it tomorrow and I still own it on Wii U.

Last edited:
I really hope this is the last in the *new* series. Everything about it is as uninspired as possible.

I skipped it on wii u because it was a lazy game then too. I think it and Mario maker are the only nintendo games I skipped.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I meant it wasn't a $60 quality game not that Nintendo didn't charge $60 for it.

Essentially, Nintendo charges AAA prices for B games. It's nuts.
Ill gladly pay that money for the kind of polish Nintendo games 9 out of 10 times have. Seriously, you will be hard pressed to find a dev that does flawless 60 fps with no spikes better than Nintendo.

Ofcourse you aren't mentioning this because putting anything that is a console manufacturer in a positive light is a Dirthead sin.

''B games''. Hah. And you as a developer obviously know better how to develop them, right?

Seldomly i have seen such misplaced arrogance. And yes i will call that out.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol no chance. people whining about the costs of videogames are wasting their time and mine. if you already bought the game and you are upset that buying it again will cost you a lot of money, i dunno what to tell you, maybe don't rebuy a game you've already bought?

videogames are a luxury. this isn't life saving medicine.

games have remained ~$60 for 25 years. when i was 10 my parents bought me TMNT IV: Turtles in Time at that price. this was a "port" with "cut content" and you could only play 2 players instead of 4. the game could be completed in half an hour. guess what, it was worth every penny, and is still considered by most to be a favorite of the system.

here's the kicker: $60 in 1991 money equals $110.55 in 2018. $60 worth of 2018 money would have been worth about $32 dollars in 1991. everywhere else in society, from food, to gas, to housing, has gone up sharply, yet you can still pay the exact same amount for a brand new port in 2018 as you did in 1991.

Last edited:
lol no chance. people whining about the costs of videogames are wasting their time and mine. if you already bought the game and you are upset that buying it again will cost you a lot of money, i dunno what to tell you, maybe don't rebuy a game you've already bought?

videogames are a luxury. this isn't life saving medicine.

games have remained ~$60 for 25 years. when i was 10 my parents bought me TMNT IV: Turtles in Time at that price. this was a "port" with "cut content" and you could only play 2 players instead of 4. the game could be completed in half an hour. guess what, it was worth every penny, and is still considered by most to be a favorite of the system.

here's the kicker: $60 in 1991 money equals $110.55 in 2018. $60 worth of 2018 money would have been worth about $32 dollars in 1991. everywhere else in society, from food, to gas, to housing, has gone up sharply, yet you can still pay the exact same amount for a brand new port in 2018 as you did in 1991.
High Jason Schreier! Still doesn't change that Nintendo have been declining in there efforts with several of there Wii U to Switch ports, and this is the weakest yet.

Last edited:

thelawof4

lol no chance. people whining about the costs of videogames...
You seem to be confused about some of the reactions to this news. Just because people don't like the pricing doesn't mean they can't afford the game.

If something is not acceptable for some people they should voice their opinion.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’ve come back to this game after not playing for a while to try and get all the gold coins in every level. Turns out it is still pretty good. It really is a sequel to Super Mario World in many ways. At times it is almost as good.

Visually I think it looks nice, keeping in mind also has a simplistic art design a lot of people didn’t find too impressive. It was that way w SMW. Nintendo has this unique house style w simple shapes gradients and strong colors. Still, I think it looks fine. Level design I would even rate higher than SMW in many spots. IMO this game is underrated!

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
IMO this game is underrated!

Definitely. We had a few too samey Marios in a row, and that’s a legitimate criticism of this, but there’s still so much fun and clever design to be found in this one.

The visuals and new Super Mario World exploration direction are really cool too.

Top Bottom