• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] PlayStation 5/ Xbox Series X New GPU Spec Leak Analysis: 9.2TF vs 12TF?

It either resembles the retail chip, or it’s an early test chip for Sony to get working on backward compatibility. And the real chip is better. Let’s hope for the latter.
Keep in mind the docs are only 6-7 months old. Highly unlikely anything drastic would change with out a launch delay
They need to fire you, you're not very good at your job... too obvious. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes, and Phil said hardware isn't really that important i.e. "I don’t need to sell any specific version of the console in order for us to reach our business goals "

IF hardware is important to Microsoft, they're just not very good at it. You're not good at your job either, they should get rid of you - your astroturfing skill are horrendous. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The world loves options that is why sales of Xbox have been steadily going down for nearly a decade, and let's be honest, they were never really good... okayish during the peak of Xbox 360. Options are great, just nobody cares about the Microsoft option.

The console warz are over, although it appears MS is spending even more on astroturfing, didn't really work last time.
tenor.gif
Was it over for Nintendo after the gamecube? Was it over for Nintendo after the WiiU? Was it over for MS after the OG Xbox? Was it over for Sony after the PS3? Based on your logic,they all should have dropped out of the console biyears ago. The whole point of starting a new gen is to get a new start,address the mistakes of a previous failed product. As a result,we got The Wii,Xbox 360,PS4,Switch.

As i've stated many times,MS has addressed the issues that plagued XB1. Starting by making XSX first and foremost...a gaming console with the aim of being the most powerful console they can possibly build at a premium price (no more resolutiongate,no more selling a 40% weaker console than its competitor,bundled with kinect priced at 100 dollars more). No more 1080p vs 720p. No more kinect,entertainment,tv with gaming taking a back seat. XB1 significantly lacked 1st party studios/exclusives. MS has since baught Playground(2 major AAA studios),DoubleFine,Obsidian,Ninja Theory,InXile,etc...The Initiative(building a new AAA studio from the ground up who's stealing ex naughty dog/Sony Santa Monica devs left n right, on top of Turn 10,343,Rare,and The Coalition.

Then you have the two approach. XSX for the hardcore who wants the most power,best multiplats, and Lockhart for the cheap gamer that just wants to play the big hits/gamepass etc..

Nobody is expecting Xbox to outsell PS5,nor does it need to to be successful.

We all know you're upset about XSX12tf vs PS5 8-9tf fiasco and lashing out :)

Last edited:
I have to say, if PS5 turns out like it has been laid out by DF here it will be pretty much 100% what I thought it would be.

"Independently confimed by several sources" is enough for me.

Arden 3584 SPs only meant 12TF of RDNA is guaranteed. Completely out of my prediction, but I didnt think they will go with PC tower in your living room.
Ppl seemed to miss that

Bet for what? It is useless everybody know there is no way to change an APU for less than 10 months release lol.

If that could be done then MS should have tried with Xbox One but they have to accept the max they could do was to upclock 10%.

After this point no company is afraid to reveal specs anymore.
Well you are under impression Xbox is not 12 navi tflop or Isnt target. It is, i will glady send info again to Mod Of War to show you. Its also in code which was confirmed to me . So we @ 12

Sony isnt beating that number thats why they wont put a number to tflops and other is they will emphasize other stuff

Id gladly bet account . Why? Cause im confident. If anyone is laughing at these leaks its Xbox. If no bet, fine.

Marlenus

Well you are under impression Xbox is not 12 navi tflop or Isnt target. It is, i will glady send info again to Mod Of War to show you. Its also in code which was confirmed to me . So we @ 12

Sony isnt beating that number thats why they wont put a number to tflops and other is they will emphasize other stuff

Id gladly bet account . Why? Cause im confident. If anyone is laughing at these leaks its Xbox. If no bet, fine.

If Sony do what r600 thinks and have a 36 cu 2Ghz monster with 16GB of 18 gbps GDDR6 they have a lava lamp not a console.

thelastword

Banned
Nobody beyond the most hardcore gamers eating this stuff (i.e. rumors) for breakfast lunch & dinner care about what the media is currently printing. For "normies", it's about the reveal shows & all the actual facts presented by the company themselves (& ensuing discussion). Sony doesn't need to "surprise" anyone because they're coming from a position of total dominance & strength (the ps4 was widely loved). People will judge the ps5 based off that & their expectations based upon what the competitors are doing, not what is current being printed in the specialized press on December 31st (aka when most "normal people" aren't debating console specs).
The crazy thing is, some people think Sony is somehow pressured into responding to these leaks or even the MS Series X video.... What's the point of responding to nothing. MS must know that Sony made console gaming popular, it's not their first rodeo. You don't lead three generations of consoles by being panicky and jumpy on everything the competition, you plot your own course and you lead the charge.....

MS is trying to get Sony to panic and reveal their hand so early before release so they can make amends or adjustments to their own kit, that will never work on Sony... They are pushing the 12 tf vs 9 tf angle hard on forums, Internet and social media, Sony just tweeted a simple "come on son" in reply....

Personally, if I were Sony, I would reveal PS5 spec in late September with a few demos, which gives them one month to release, in that time I would upgrade specs even more and build a single $600 priced console for $500, take a loss on hardware the first year and get the console to, 5nm in late 2021...where they can start making money on hardware...... Software will sell, new IP's will be there, devs will have no problem expressing their skills unmitigated by what is probably the easiest console to develop for in history......

onQ123

I have to say, if PS5 turns out like it has been laid out by DF here it will be pretty much 100% what I thought it would be.

"Independently confimed by several sources" is enough for me.

Arden 3584 SPs only meant 12TF of RDNA is guaranteed. Completely out of my prediction, but I didnt think they will go with PC tower in your living room.

I remember when Richard misread the leaked documents & said PS4 was 14CUs fo graphics & 4CUs of compute

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The crazy thing is, some people think Sony is somehow pressured into responding to these leaks or even the MS Series X video.... What's the point of responding to nothing. MS must know that Sony made console gaming popular, it's not their first rodeo. You don't lead three generations of consoles by being panicky and jumpy on everything the competition, you plot your own course and you lead the charge.....

MS is trying to get Sony to panic and reveal their hand so early before release so they can make amends or adjustments to their own kit, that will never work on Sony... They are pushing the 12 tf vs 9 tf angle hard on forums, Internet and social media, Sony just tweeted a simple "come on son" in reply....

Personally, if I were Sony, I would reveal PS5 spec in late September with a few demos, which gives them one month to release, in that time I would upgrade specs even more and build a single $600 priced console for $500, take a loss on hardware the first year and get the console to, 5nm in late 2021...where they can start making money on hardware...... Software will sell, new IP's will be there, devs will have no problem expressing their skills unmitigated by what is probably the easiest console to develop for in history......
They've been pressured before.

They already revealed info about PS5 earlier this year. Similar to MS as it's vague specs, SSD, a holiday 2020 release.

The only MS has really revealed more about Xbox is the new Series X name and a vague 2x or 4x the power of X, where people are interpreting 2x as double the flops, but 4x as the cpu only.

Did you read what you just posted? You begin saying you don't know why people think sony should react to a 12 tf being a 9tf console. Then end by saying sony should go all out with a 600 dollar machine

The leaked docs are only 6-7 months old. According to DF,its impossible to do anything substantial to PS5 this late other than improve ram. Clocks had already been sped up to the max to reach 9.2tf. Anything drastic will lead to a launch delay and significant cost penalty. His sources back up the 12tf vs 9.2 and is confident to the point he is putting himself and DFs name on the line

thelastword

Banned
Did you read what you just posted? You begin saying you don't know why people think sony should react to a 12 tf being a 9tf console. Then end by saying sony should go all out with a 600 dollar machine

The leaked docs are only 6-7 months old. According to DF,its impossible to do anything substantial to PS5 this late other than improve ram. Clocks had already been sped up to the max to reach 9.2tf. Anything drastic will lead to a launch delay and significant cost penalty. His sources back up the 12tf vs 9.2 and is confident to the point he is putting himself and DFs name on the line
You see you are going by the 9.2tf as gospel, I'm not.

McCheese

RL can afford to make as many mistakes as he likes, his reputation has never been publicly questioned until now.

The guy would make a new clickbait video if he so much as heard someone in the supermarket mutter something that sounded a bit like Playstation Five.

Presuming all 6 eggs in their basket are navi based, and that one egg would likely be cracked for better production yields, we can extrapolate that the PS4 will be roughly worse than Xbox. This is further backed up by the PG Tips in the basket, further confirmation that Sony fans are in fact, as dumb as chimps.

Last edited:
DF lied a lot of time. ignore that and take their word for it... just not very clever people could do that.
So what is DF lying about with their latest videoes? Are the docs a lie? Are Richards sources playing him to destroy his reputation? He researched the docs,there origins,and is confident in his analysis. That speaks volumes.
Now when this all gets confirmed finally,the narrative will then change to " power,nobody cares about power"

Last edited:
Sorry if this was already discussed here, I don't know because I'm too late to the party and the thread ballooned. But I'm thinking, isn't the PS5 STRONGER than the SEX?
Remember a good while ago rumors about an "Arcturus" GPU? That was meant for Microsoft and was based on Vega? More specifically,not Navi, because that architecture was being made for Sony?
Now we have all this talk about the SEX having 3 more TFlops than the PS5, and with way more SP. The rumored number, 3584, is the same number as the Vega 56 and a number way higher than it appears we'll see in a RDNA 1.0 GPU. The higher clocks is because the SOC will be made on 7nm instead of 14nm. At first glance this may make it sound like the SEX is stronger than the PS5 that will only have 2304 SP, however we all know that Navi performs generally much better than Vega, right? Didn't we see that the RX 5700 performs even better than Vega 64? So even with a few less TFlops wouldn't the PS5 still be a bit stronger in practice if all the other specs are more or less the same?
With the necessity to add hardware to RT would Microsoft still pay AMD and additional to design a different and bigger GPU based on RDNA 1.0?

Last edited:
Not obviously; Dreamcast had better resolution output, anti-aliasing, texture compression and support (it supported VGA resolution; PS2 actually has the poorest resolution output of any of the 6th gen consoles) and better texturing capabilities thanks to more VRAM and a better mipmapping feature. It also featured tiled rendering.

PS2's strengths over DC were mainly a faster CPU, more raw polygon rendering, particle effects (it was better than all other systems that gen in this area, and even successor systems like the 360), physics (due to the stronger CPU) and lighting effects. There's a good enough examples of commercial games on both that show off their hardware's respective strengths to each other, but PS2 software was (obviously) able to reach a point of maturity DC software dev didn't.

you are discussing 2 different things one its subjective and the other is technical, its obvious PS2 is better because there are more impresive games in PS2 compared to DC, try comparing shemue to hitman blood money or soul calibur with its sequels or gran turismo vs DC racers, also DC games used discreet polygons characters in lot of games, try comparing mortal kombat 4 vs MK Armageddon, DC have impresive games like le mans but their effect are less common in other games compared to PS2 games

when it comes to technical its not "obsiously" or subjective things, there are specs and how they can be used, they impact the perception of the game

PS2 had problems with its resolution yes but it can use its edram as it needed so there is not a restriction to resolution there are games with 640x480 resolution and even use super sampling in top of that(grand prix challenge) and the linux kit uses 1024x768 as resolution so it depends the developer and how they use the edram, other consoles like GC have a fixed space for resolution 2MB for framebuffer+zbuffer DC has way more memory as a resutl most PS2 and GC games settled for under 640x4080 resolution, are you going to claim that DC is better than GC? it indeed have more space and generally better resolution but does that make DC overall better than PS2 or GC? no

DC good textures capabilities comes mainly from its really good compression algorithm and in part its size in comparison PS2 uses CLUT as compression and whatever amount of space you want to use in edram(tipically 2 MB) but on PS2 the configuration is different, on edram you put a texture cache that is way faster than DC so the correct way of using it is to stream textures from main ram(wich is bigger in PS2 vs DC) devs at first had trouble using it and wanted to use edram like vram on PC or DC, on DC you have a bigger space for textures on vram but vram is way slower so you cant make as much updates to it per frame as on PS2, GC uses a similar aproach to PS2, it has 1 MB texture cache with very fast access and a good compression algorithm(around 2 times better than ps2) so DC have more space than both consoles but it cant match their textures cache speed, if devs cant use the texture cache system properly then a DC port will look better overall

there are games with good texture resolution like phantasy star online floor and walls but thare are also games with lot of low resolution textures like shenmue that shows how some games can concentrate big textures in fewer objects and had to use lower textures when lot of different textures are required also sonic 2 seems to have better textures on DC compared to GC, is dreamcast better machine? no it just has it pros and drawbacks

DC software matured really fast thanks to how easy to use was the system and was way more mature by the time other systems released, it released first, but it has the drawback that there is a lot fixed function on DC, in comparison PS2 was very hard to use because it introduced lot of freedom and not a stablished path for making games, the devkit recommend 3 different rendering paths each with it pros and cons and the simpler and recomended doesnt use most of the system, DC use its CPU for tranformation and light so it can be programmed for many effect that indeed require more maturity but PS2 have programmable VU that require a lot of work but are also way faster than what the DC can do, that is way there are per pixel effects in complex scenes where in DC they cost a lot and can be used in more limited like the famous normal mapped coin in shenmue in contrast we see normal mapping in games like hitman blood money and matrix path of neo everywhere and that on top of other effects like depth of field and complex light that most DC games lack doesnt mean DC cant do a complex game with complex effects but its not simple and is more limited

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Bet for what? It is useless everybody know there is no way to change an APU for less than 10 months release lol.

If that could be done then MS should have tried with Xbox One but they have to accept the max they could do was to upclock 10%.

After this point no company is afraid to reveal specs anymore.

If you're so confident, take the bet. I mean you're already talking in absolutes like its exactly what you "know" is going to happen lol.

leo-j

Perfect example of double standards. Penello says something positive of the xbox and hes an "ex marketing/ now fanboy"

Ybarra says something bad about Microsoft and its gospel lol. "Astroturfing" lol (am i doing it right?)
Isn’t the mike guy an ex Microsoft developer?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Perfect example of double standards. Penello says something positive of the xbox and hes an "ex marketing/ now fanboy"

Ybarra says something bad about Microsoft and its gospel lol. "Astroturfing" lol (am i doing it right?)
Fair, but Penello is a proven liar, Ybarra not IIRC. The statement that when, with Xbox One, they had lost the performance crown they would push the discussion away from power and resolution... talk that they resumed with the Xbox One X (understandably so). When Ybarra shows signs of being a misleading PR person then his credibility / good Will should also follow.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Fair, but Penello is a proven liar, Ybarra not IIRC. The statement that when, with Xbox One, they had lost the performance crown they would push the discussion away from power and resolution... talk that they resumed with the Xbox One X (understandably so). When Ybarra shows signs of being a misleading PR person then his credibility / good Will should also follow.

I don't follow any of these guys so idk any of their track records. So thats fair, though I'd bet some of these guys picking and choosing who to believe when its what they want to hear, probably don't either.

Clocks had already been sped up to the max to reach 9.2tf

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Navi Hits Impressive 2.2GHz Overclock With SoftPowerPlay Mod

Does that look like the cooling for 2Ghz 9Tflops? Or does that look like the cooling for 2.2-2.4+Ghz. Maybe its just 2Ghz 9Tflops and that's the max. But the design of the ps5 dev kit suggests very high clock rate.

thelastword

Banned
So what is DF lying about with their latest videoes? Are the docs a lie? Are Richards sources playing him to destroy his reputation? He researched the docs,there origins,and is confident in his analysis. That speaks volumes.
Now when this all gets confirmed finally,the narrative will then change to " power,nobody cares about power"
So what will you say when this turns out not to be true or anything close to the truth......You will just go on defending Richard and say he never said "in absolute terms that PS5 would be 9.2TF", but in the here and now, you are running with it as gospel from the fountain Philled with Rich and Honey......

Sorry if this was already discussed here, I don't know because I'm too late to the party and the thread ballooned. But I'm thinking, isn't the PS5 STRONGER than the SEX?
Remember a good while ago rumors about an "Arcturus" GPU? That was meant for Microsoft and was based on Vega? More specifically,not Navi, because that architecture was being made for Sony?
Now we have all this talk about the SEX having 3 more TFlops than the PS5, and with way more SP. The rumored number, 3584, is the same number as the Vega 56 and a number way higher than it appears we'll see in a RDNA 1.0 GPU. The higher clocks is because the SOC will be made on 7nm instead of 14nm. At first glance this may make it sound like the SEX is stronger than the PS5 that will only have 2304 SP, however we all know that Navi performs generally much better than Vega, right? Didn't we see that the RX 5700 performs even better than Vega 64? So even with a few less TFlops wouldn't the PS5 still be a bit stronger in practice if all the other specs are more or less the same?
With the necessity to add hardware to RT would Microsoft still pay AMD and additional to design a different and bigger GPU based on RDNA 1.0?

Navi was not being made "for" Sony; Sony were providing suggestions into parts of its development, and looking into developing and pulling features from the roadmap to customize their implementation of Navi for PS5, but AMD have not been developing Navi for Sony or anyone other than themselves, fundamentally.

Navi is worst than Vega at general compute, but is better than Vega at gaming-specific calculations. MS has already confirmed they are on RDNA (just like Sony), and pulling some RDNA2 features into their custom silicon (same as Sony), so the 3584 number being reference for Vega 56 literally makes zero sense.

And I've been doing my own thinking for a minute on the V-design dev kit; since it was shipped around E3 time, and the APUs in that data mine (which has since been deleted; if I'm hearing right it was SIE that called for the Github delete and not AMD?) have been tested past that date, and we already know there are tests for PS5's APU at 2GHz (which is an insane speed for a GPU)...maybe the reason the V-design dev kit is designed that way is to cool the APU listed in the leak as it's running at such a high temp? Also from looking at more pictures of it, the dev kit isn't AS big as I thought it was. Still noticeably larger than a PS4 Pro, but not the size of a tower desktop PC.

The reason I bring that up is because the design could be feasible for the retail version, just scaled down a bit in size, and (hopefully) without needing to cut back the frequency on the GPU, or at least not down TOO far (that way the 9.2TFLOPs number is still maintained, or 8.98TFLOPs at lowest end (dropping the GPU clock to 1.95GHz); preferably they could activate two extra CUs and keep the clocks at 1.925GHz for 9.36TFLOPs, or maybe they can even have all 40 CUs active at 1.95GHz for 9.98TFLOPs (just about 10TFLOPs)...
but that'd require an expensive cooling solution and probably a bigger retail case).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Can I just point out the obvious in that AMD aren't going to offer a 30% faster part at the same price to one of two big corporate customers. There's nothing in it for them to show favoritism, Sony's money is as good as MS's and vice versa. The ideal situation is that they are kept competitive with one another as that has the best chance to grow the market.

So, if one party is getting more, you should expect that to be reflected in the RRP of the final units.

We are no longer at a point where we're talking about two different "visions" of how to architect a system, these devices are very, very similar. Likewise we know what sort of pricing model both Xbox and Playstation favor, so expecting one side to have a massive advantage in terms of price/performance over the other is kinda silly.

Clear Clear This isn't about them "showing favoritism", it's simply business. If MS was willing to pay more for a larger chip with more CUs, then they will get the larger chip with more CUs. If that's what Sony wanted to do, then they'd get the chip. It's about the money and who's willing to pay what, feelings outside of that don't factor into it whatsoever.

And by logical sense, yes the party that pays more would be expected to have the higher MSRP. However that is not always the case. Generally speaking though the party that pays more on BOM but sells at even or less than competitor is usually the system lagging behind, and willing to bleed some money in hopes of expanding the userbase. But those were the old ways, way back when. The industry's a bit different these days, the tech is more homogenized than ever, and business practices have changed (not to mention, new revenue streams have appeared).

Even if these leaked data specs for PS5 and XSEX turn out to be true, competition is driven by things other than sheer power. Sony has the studios and mindshare to be very competitive, even if MS come at them seriously this gen (which so far looks like they are willing and planning to do). Again, Sony historically has never really had the clear-cut more powerful system for a gen other than PS4, and even there the 8GB of GDDR5 was a bit of risk (thankfully production capacity increased in time to double the amount).

We still don't know all the details with these systems outside of general APU CU counts, clocks, and CPU. How will each of them handle virtual mapping to the custom SSD solution of their respective systems? What particular RDNA2 features aside from RT will each system bring to their custom silicon? What features besides VRS will each system bring? Will either system have customizations to facilitate A.I machine learning smoothly? What OS QoL refinements will each system bring? What ways will each system try integrating gaming and multimedia engagement for the end-user? Etc. etc.

And of course, what 1st-party content and/or exclusive games are being designed for each system in time for launch and for the first year? There's way more to these systems than TFLOPs, or have some people forgotten that after being blindsided (how exactly, I don't know) by the rogame/Github leaks (and subsequent deletion) :/

Gediminas

Banned
i care about the power, but in the sense of the progress, not in the sense of some delusional wars. obvious power matters, but just look what sony does with machines they have, every year they make new highest standards for graphics, even 6tf power does not help. so i am quite calm about 9.2tf vs 12tf because this different is smaller then 4,2 vs 6.

on the topic, until Sony says otherwise, those are just rumors and looks like not realistic ones.

gatti-man

I can’t believe Sony would roll out with a 9TF console against a 12TF MS console. 30% power difference is going to be large and noticeable in pretty much every game.

I just don’t believe it. Either MS isn’t at 12TF or Sony isn’t at 9.

Does that look like the cooling for 2Ghz 9Tflops? Or does that look like the cooling for 2.2-2.4+Ghz. Maybe its just 2Ghz 9Tflops and that's the max. But the design of the ps5 dev kit suggests very high clock rate.

Ah, the true GigaDrive :pie_smirking:

Joking aside............. interesting; didn't think they could clock them this high. 36CUs at 2.4GHz would put PS5 at about little over 11TFLOPs, but you have to ask yourself, by that point....they need a DAMN GOOD cooling solution to make sure it doesn't become a RROD situation. And that will mean a more expensive system, probably as much as XSEX (possibly even more depending on the cooling used).

I can’t believe Sony would roll out with a 9TF console against a 12TF MS console. 30% power difference is going to be large and noticeable in pretty much every game.

I just don’t believe it. Either MS isn’t at 12TF or Sony isn’t at 9.
Why when it's Microsoft do people suddenly not believe it? Sony's goal isn't power, Microsoft's is.

The PS4 was 40% more powerful than the Xbox One, was that unbelievable? No, so why is this? I think there's a stark contrast between what's unbelievable and what you don't want to believe.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why when it's Microsoft do people suddenly not believe it? Sony's goal isn't power, Microsoft's is.

The PS4 was 40% more powerful than the Xbox One, was that unbelievable? No, so why is this? I think there's a stark contrast between what's unbelievable and what you don't want to believe.

It is possible, some people are reacting the same way others did for PS4... albeit we do not have the execs coming into forums and lie about balance and output resolution and other stuff 😏, just not realistic / probable for Sony’s PS5 to be much faster or much slower than XSX barring either making a huge bet on the wrong tech path that shapes the console architecture (see Xbox One).

Last edited:
Top Bottom