• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Final Build

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So 1440p is "great again" huh......?

Have to keep in mind this is not just plain 1440p, but has roots of a base image of 720 reconstructed even now....As I said, when they did the pre-release video on DF, they would have to lower rez to achieve a more stable framerate, as it tore something fierce to keep perf up in the pre-release build...

So another game that does not beholden to the true 4k moniker, and there's nothing pure and uncompromised about these pixels here, no matter how you slice it...Lots of visual noise everywhere......

Speaking of flickering shadows in particular. I remember seeing flcikering shadows on XBONEX in another title recently, when other versions were free of it. I think it was battlefront 2....

renders at 1440p and then checkerboards to 4k something which in another thread you were telling developers to do on the pro

Have to keep in mind this is not just plain 1440p, but has roots of a base image of 720 reconstructed even now....As I said, when they did the pre-release video on DF, they would have to lower rez to achieve a more stable framerate, as it tore something fierce to keep perf up in the pre-release build...

So another game that does not beholden to the true 4k moniker, and there's nothing pure and uncompromised about these pixels here, no matter how you slice it...Lots of visual noise everywhere......

Speaking of flickering shadows in particular. I remember seeing flcikering shadows on XBONEX in another title recently, when other versions were free of it. I think it was battlefront 2....

really-tell-me-more.gif

"They" ? I have all the systems. Not a fanboy at all. I just enjoy games and since I've heard even beefy PCs struggle, I was wondering the cost of a PC to get this game to perform well.

They original Windows store release (DX12) was a struggle. Frame time issues, poor performance, etc.

The Steam release (DX11) was much improved. Higher frame rates, fixed frame times, and so on.

A 1060 won’t be able to max the game out at 1080p/60FPS. So it is still rather demanding, however at 1080p and Xbox One level settings, it can do 60FPS with lots of headroom to further tweak settings for a better looking game. If you only wanted 30FPS, you could keep pushing the settings and resolution further for a better looking game.

All information from the DF video. So on that basis, around £500-£600 for a PC with a decent CPU and 1060 6GB.

I bought it today for £15, gonna see how it runs on my 1080 later. Kinda wanted to play it for a while.

"Why do developers on Pro keep going for native and not 4K checkerboard?"

Then, upon learning that an Xbox game goes for 4K checkerboard: "This is shit it's not even native res!"

hiphopcr

Still, even if a console would have all the graphical prowess in the world, that would outmatch the strongest pc tenfold, it still wouldnt be the best place to play it. The platform that has mouse and keyboard and unlocked framerate would. Stuff that impacts gameplay.

Personally I would take a recliner, x1 controller, and friends on Xbox Live instead of hunched over at a desk, IMHO

Personally I would take a recliner, x1 controller, and friends on Xbox Live instead of hunched over at a desk, IMHO

I’ll play it at a desk, or on a couch, or in bed, through a monitor or a TV, or stream it to a phone or tablet, and I’ll use a KB/M, or Steam controller, or DS4, or XB1 controller.

Might do all of the above just for the sake of it. Options are great.

I’ll play it at a desk, or on a couch, or in bed, through a monitor or a TV, or stream it to a phone or tablet, and I’ll use a KB/M, or Steam controller, or DS4, or XB1 controller.

Might do all of the above just for the sake of it. Options are great.

I thought you were going to finish that up with I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam I am.

SaberEdge

On mine (i7 6800k + gtx1070) a stable 60fps with upscaling on of course at 1080p everything high. One of the most impressive tps I played after gow4. Replaying it in a couple of years at 4k with upscaling off this time is something Im really looking forward to.

Yeah, it was a good experience playing the game. I played it on my PC with a gtx 1070 and it looked and ran great. I don't remember the exact settings I used but I think it was around 1440p on my gsync monitor.

Gorgeous game.
Those glitches, while definitely worth pointing out, doesn't make a great looking game look bad. Tech is interesting but its the least important thing when it comes to graphics.

thelastword

Banned
Game renders in 1440p natively then uses checkerboarding to get up to 4k. Good try though

renders at 1440p and then checkerboards to 4k something which in another thread you were telling developers to do on the pro
I must have watched a different video then..., because I 'm pretty sure DF counted 720p in some scenes. The pre-release was a base 1440p, but it seems with this patch, the base render resolution is now using some form of reconstruction to get to 1440p and then it upscales/reprojects that to 4k..

It could be that they have a dynamic base resolution in place or they have decided to lower base rez to improve perf...Whatever it is, they have tinkered with the pre-release code here and the quality is not the same, but perf has improved, even though it still drops.

BizarroPete

I must have watched a different video then..., because I 'm pretty sure DF counted 720p in some scenes. The pre-release was a base 1440p, but it seems with this patch, the base render resolution is now using some form of reconstruction to get to 1440p and then it upscales/reprojects that to 4k..

It could be that they have a dynamic base resolution in place or they have decided to lower base rez to improve perf...Whatever it is, they have tinkered with the pre-release code here and the quality is not the same, but perf has improved, even though it still drops.

In the video they say the final build is still at a base 1440p, and the one time they counted 720p it was due to lower quality depth of field.

Space_nut

Newsflash for you

Devs renders special effects like transparancies at lower res then the native res of the game

phil_t98

#SonyToo

game renders at 1440p if you watch the video and yes some scenes are 720p like cutscenes not gamplay. I read the digital foundry article on the add-on for horizon zero dawn and they had to change the settings as checker boarding take up 10% of the power to do. so maybe as par your other post in a different thread maybe the pro isn't able to render some games at 1440p then do checkerboard

heres what they said incase you missed it

That said, it's not perfect. We tested the expansion on PlayStation 4 Pro and found that when using the high-res mode, there were occasional frame-rate drops. This is where the performance mode comes into play. This was added shortly after launch and lowers the resolution from a checkerboarded 2160p to a native 1368p to secure a more sustained 30fps lock (depth of field and volumetric passes increase in quality too). This mode was designed to add an additional 10 per cent of overhead to the game while pushing native resolution as high as it would go.

They original Windows store release (DX12) was a struggle. Frame time issues, poor performance, etc.

The Steam release (DX11) was much improved. Higher frame rates, fixed frame times, and so on.

A 1060 won’t be able to max the game out at 1080p/60FPS. So it is still rather demanding, however at 1080p and Xbox One level settings, it can do 60FPS with lots of headroom to further tweak settings for a better looking game. If you only wanted 30FPS, you could keep pushing the settings and resolution further for a better looking game.

All information from the DF video. So on that basis, around £500-£600 for a PC with a decent CPU and 1060 6GB.

I bought it today for £15, gonna see how it runs on my 1080 later. Kinda wanted to play it for a while.

You can run it 1080p 60fps ona 1060, but just not at highest settings, which are very demanding, and i guarantee the Xb1x isn't using these highest settings in an any mode available. the lighting options are the most demanding by far, and the volumetric lighting setting at highest setting is crippling, and the global illumination is even worse.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You can run it 1080p 60fps ona 1060, but just not at highest settings, which are very demanding, and i guarantee the Xb1x isn't using these highest settings in an any mode available. the lighting options are the most demanding by far, and the volumetric lighting setting at highest setting is crippling, and the global illumination is even worse.

still it does a decent version of the game for a £450 console. never gonna equal a maxed out pc tho

Data Ghost

Can the 'beast' posts on here become a GAF meme, or are we already at that point? Either way can we continue to refer to the X as 'The Beast' years after it has been replaced by future generations of consoles?

Alx

Can the 'beast' posts on here become a GAF meme, or are we already at that point? Either way can we continue to refer to the X as 'The Beast' years after it has been replaced by future generations of consoles?

Could we not, please ? All those "beast" comments are annoying (I'm all for enthusiasm, but that's just childish and unnecessary). I used to add all those "xxx is a beast" posters to my ignore list as a rule, but at this rate I'll have most of neogaf on it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Could we not, please ? All those "beast" comments are annoying (I'm all for enthusiasm, but that's just childish and unnecessary). I used to add all those "xxx is a beast" posters to my ignore list as a rule, but at this rate I'll have most of neogaf on it.
NO FUN
O

F
U
N

still it does a decent version of the game for a £450 console. never gonna equal a maxed out pc tho

i wasn't indicating that it was in any way poor, as the game still looked pretty spectacular even on xb1 imo, and the settings involved for Xb1 X are already very good.

I was just pointing out that DF and other benchmarking sites will ramp everything up to max and then say a GPU isn't suitable for 1080p 60fps", which simply isn't true.

You might have to adjust 1-2 settings a touch , and drop down from highest level to one below, but often these highest settings offer a very subtle improvement over one below anyway, so arent huge loss, and are already above the console levels.

MDSLKTR

It's playful, at least it doesnt slow down my browser like the banderas.gif spam

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
CPU: x86-64 2.3GHz 8-core AMD "BEAST" CPU

GPU: 6 BFLOPS (BEASTFLOPS), AMD BEAST-based graphics clocked at 1172MHz with 40 compute BEAST

Memory: 12GBEAST GDDR5A

BEAST size: 1TB HDD

Fuel: pure BEAST power.

pixelbox

game renders at 1440p if you watch the video and yes some scenes are 720p like cutscenes not gamplay. I read the digital foundry article on the add-on for horizon zero dawn and they had to change the settings as checker boarding take up 10% of the power to do. so maybe as par your other post in a different thread maybe the pro isn't able to render some games at 1440p then do checkerboard

heres what they said incase you missed it

That said, it's not perfect. We tested the expansion on PlayStation 4 Pro and found that when using the high-res mode, there were occasional frame-rate drops. This is where the performance mode comes into play. This was added shortly after launch and lowers the resolution from a checkerboarded 2160p to a native 1368p to secure a more sustained 30fps lock (depth of field and volumetric passes increase in quality too). This mode was designed to add an additional 10 per cent of overhead to the game while pushing native resolution as high as it would go.
They have their different perks. Resolution mode adds the CB solution as well as higher quality AF. Whereas Performance adds the what you mentioned.

Ichabod

Banned
My setup is corsair lapdog for kb&m gaming

Lapdog-21-500x375.jpg

Works like a charm. Before I was doing was you're asking the poster and it was serviceable.

Not bad. The lack of support under his mouse arm looks like it'd cause a lot of wrist fatigue with extended sessions. Nothing a good pillow couldn't fix, I suppose.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
They have their different perks. Resolution mode adds the CB solution as well as higher quality AF. Whereas Performance adds the what you mentioned.

basically what I was saying that in another thread the guy was saying he doesn't understand why all developers don't make 1440p games checkerboard to 4k and
by the looks of it some resources are taken up by checker boarding so may not be
possible on all games on the Pro

the pro is a good console btw but the guy keep trying to diss the X as much s he can

thelastword

Banned
"Why do developers on Pro keep going for native and not 4K checkerboard?"

Then, upon learning that an Xbox game goes for 4K checkerboard: "This is shit it's not even native res!"
What are you talking about, at least get your facts straight or quote exactly what I said instead of posting your own fabrication. You always try to mis-represent my statements but you only endeavor to expose yourself...

I never said, that PRO goes for native, I said they go for normal/status-quo rendering methods, when the console was built upon CB rendering to deliver a sharper, well antialiased image that's very hard to distinguish from native 4k. In essence, I'd take 2160CB over 1440p normal render anyday for my 4k screen.....

I never told any developer to checkerboard from 1440p, how exactly does that work anyway? How exactly do you go about checkerboarding from 1440p. Perhaps you should read a bit more on the method....

I simply said, I'd rather 2160CB over 1440p as has been seen in Black OPS 3, Inifinte Warfare, Modern Warfare, HZD etc.....

FWIW, QB does not use CB, it uses a reprojection method that's not exactly typical to proper CB methods and quality. I think the results speaks for itself...

What are you talking about, at least get your facts straight or quote exactly what I said instead of posting your own fabrication. You always try to mis-represent my statements but you only endeavor to expose yourself...

I never said, that PRO goes for native, I said they go for normal/status-quo rendering methods, when the console was built upon CB rendering to deliver a sharper, well antialiased image that's very hard to distinguish from native 4k. In essence, I'd take 2160CB over 1440p normal render anyday for my 4k screen.....

I never told any developer to checkerboard from 1440p, how exactly does that work anyway? How exactly do you go about checkerboarding from 1440p. Perhaps you should read a bit more on the method....

I simply said, I'd rather 2160CB over 1440p as has been seen in Black OPS 3, Inifinte Warfare, Modern Warfare, HZD etc.....

FWIW, QB does not use CB, it uses a reprojection method that's not exactly typical to proper CB methods and quality. I think the results speaks for itself...

I think it's a combination of developers being required to do more work to implement CB and that every engine and game will have different levels of success with CB method and way it behaves with engine and look they're going for.

I remember seeing a picture of rise of tomb raider at CB on pro and 1440p on PC and in many ways the. 1440p version was still better looking and crisper than CB on pro

mad597

Banned

You are completely delusional and long winded

Top Bottom