• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - RTX Video HDR Modded For Games

Senua

That's cool I wonder why it's not officially released. Also would've been nice to see comparisons to special K

I have been pretty happy with Windows 11 auto HDR, I did not know it was limited to certian DirectX games though.
I was hoping the RTX HDR would be a simple toggle in the driver menu but looks like it's not too hard to get going.
HDR on PC is no longer an afterthought.

Can I ask a genuine question?

What's the point of converting to HDR something that was never mastered or intended to be watched that way ???

I want my display to output the source 1:1, whatever that is

It makes no sense to me, why should anyone enable this?

Last edited:
Can I ask a genuine question?

What's the point of converting to HDR something that was never mastered or intended to be watched that way ???

I want my display to output the source 1:1, whatever that is

It makes no sense to me, why should anyone enable this?
It adds depth, contrast and POP to the image, Without HDR, everything on the screen is like looking at a painting, it's lit with whatever light you're viewing the painting at.
With HDR, it's more like looking out a window, with multiple light sources. Things look more 3d, and contrast.
IMHO. HDR image is better than a flat SDR.
It's not always perfect like DF mentions in this video, I would prefer a game made with HDR to begin with, but the option to add it to old games is nice.

Ulysses 31

It should, though....

Especially when people fight for Game preservation....

If you are altering how the game looks with fake HDR, you are not really preserving the original content...

But hey, it's just my opinion
I judge on a case by case basis since converting to HDR isn't always an improvement like some people like to think.

If the creator wasn't that good with color grading or had bad/limited tools to work with, I'm not against modern tools to tweaks the output.

Last edited:

intbal

WTF I love bloom and blown out highlights now.
Did someone say BLOOOOOM??

Syndicate.jpg

pBRq4Nd.jpg

It should, though....

Especially when people fight for Game preservation....

If you are altering how the game looks with fake HDR, you are not really preserving the original content...

But hey, it's just my opinion
Starfield has no HDR by design, my opinion this is the single most stupid decision made for the look of this game. A Space game with no HDR.

Tried it with Forza Motorsport on PC. Looks much better than AutoHDR. I STILL can't believe FM doesn't have native HDR. Also tried it with Stray, looks REALLY good.

Last edited:

YCoCg

So this is different than the Win 11 one?

When can we use it?
Yes, it's different from the Auto HDR on Windows 11.

You can use it now if you get the mod, it's currently hidden in the latest drivers so Nvidia will probably release it at a later point but the mod can force it to be used now.

keefged4

I've been trying this out for a while now and the results are amazing. It blows Auto HDR out of the water and is by far the best method for HDR over Special K, reshade etc.

Top Bottom